08/25/12 10:24 AM
08/25/12 10:24 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Recently my custom viper brakes have developed a low speed, light pedal pressure squeak. when coming to a stop when I'm less than 5mph and have light pressure, I can hear the pads squeaking. after a stop, I can also hear a squeak in the first few feet as I drive away from the stop.

But, with heavy pedal pressure, there's no squeak, and with no pedal pressure there's no squeak (other than the momentary squeak as I roll away from a stop)

however, I do not feel drag in the brakes. on even the slightest hill that looks and feels flat, when I release the pedal, the truck begins to roll immediately. I've jacked up both front and rear, leg pressed the pedal HARD, then stepped out and spun the wheels, and again, I don't feel any noticeable brake drag. the fronts I can spin and get 1-1.5 spins out of it before they stop. on the rear I don't get more than about 3/4 of a turn, but that's because I can feel the weight of the differential and driveshaft/transmission dragging it down, I don't feel or hear significant brake drag.

I've checked the master cylinder pushrod coming out of the booster, and it's NOT contacting the booster.

I also unplugged the booster from vacuum incase is was somehow "self energizing" the brakes.

it all would seem that I have no problem at all...but the squeak made me start looking for a problem that may or may not be there.

What I've noticed is that even after a 8-10 mile drive at 55-60 mph, and by downshifting to slow down for turns without using any brakes, I can come to a stop and still feel heat in the rotors. I can grab the rotor with my bare hand and feel quite a bit of warmth in it, but it's not so hot that it burns or is painful.

all 4 rotors feel the same, so Its not like I have a single caliper hung up.

...so, do I have a problem at all? or did the "new squeak" cause me to look for something that's not there?

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: What's normal heat for disc brakes? [Re: 70Cuda383] #1291024
08/25/12 08:45 PM
08/25/12 08:45 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Imo you need to turn up the stereo

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: What's normal heat for disc brakes? [Re: jcc] #1291025
08/25/12 10:12 PM
08/25/12 10:12 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
If one caliper was sticking the truck will pull to that side when you were letting off pressure on the other 3 calipers and the sticking caliper is still clamping on its rotor you would know it.

On the brake noise:
http://www.hawkperformance.com/faq.php

Re: What's normal heat for disc brakes? [Re: PHJ426] #1291026
08/26/12 10:11 AM
08/26/12 10:11 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
I know some squeal is normal especially depending on pad material and condition.

But it's the heat that concerns me. Yesterday after a short drive all 4 rotors felt to be about 105-110 degrees, slmost at the point where they were painful to touch. After 5-6 seconds, they were VERY uncomfortable due to the amount of heat in them. And I only used them lightly in town, and hardly used them at all the last 7 miles, which was at 55-60 mph and downshifting to slow down for turns (no stops)

Ambient temps though were around 90, and the tires had quite a bit of heat in them too from the road surface

I don't THINK my brakes are hanging up or dragging, but I do hear squeak/squeal as I'm pulling away from a stop, probably for close to one full revolution.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: What's normal heat for disc brakes? [Re: 70Cuda383] #1291027
08/26/12 11:55 AM
08/26/12 11:55 AM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Online content
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Online Content
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
pads taking up their running position away from the rotor, there is 'some' ""slack"" so they'll rattle sometimes as they release & get 'set'. I personaly wouldn't worry about it. Maybe set up some GoPro camera and see what you see.

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Re: What's normal heat for disc brakes? [Re: 70Cuda383] #1291028
08/27/12 09:52 PM
08/27/12 09:52 PM
SoCal
68HemiB Offline
master
68HemiB  Offline
master

SoCal
Quote:

did the "new squeak" cause me to look for something that's not there?

This, probably.

Sounds like you have done a fine job of ruling out hung-up brakes.

Do you have any baseline against which to compare on fondling your rotors after some/bunches/no stopping?

a. The job of any braking system is to convert the kinetic energy [that your vehicle possesses by being in motion] into heat energy [in the rotors/drums] and then dissipate that heat energy into the surrounding air.

b. The rotating parts of your vehicle's suspension generate heat independent of the brakes from other factors.

Rotors that have been stopping a vehicle will be hot. More stopping = more heat. Longer passage of time since stopping = less heat.

Rotors that have been rolling along, bolted to wheels and tires will still have heat, even with no stopping.

Tell us how much hotter your rotors are compared to the rotors of a similarly-sized and -equipped vehicle doing similar stops, and there's something we might be able to discuss.

Down to just a blue car now.
Re: What's normal heat for disc brakes? [Re: 68HemiB] #1291029
08/27/12 11:30 PM
08/27/12 11:30 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
Pick up one of these. Then you can compare the heat in your rotors vs another car that just completed the same drive. http://www.instrumart.com/categories/411...CFQXCKgodfVAAyA

Re: What's normal heat for disc brakes? [Re: PHJ426] #1291030
08/28/12 08:08 AM
08/28/12 08:08 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
I did compare it to my other truck, 4500 lb truck vs a 4000 lb truck.

the heavier truck is also an automatic, so on the same exact drive, I used the brakes a lot more on the auto truck.

with my stick truck, I downshift and barely used the brakes at all.

rotor temps were about the same. maybe SLIGHTLY warmer on the auto truck. but again...brakes were used a LOT more on the auto truck, I'd expect the rotors on it to be hot.

At the end of the day, I guess I just don't know if there's a problem or not

I did pick up some brake system grease, and will lube up the pins that the pads slide on, the pistons inside the calipers, back sides of the pads, etc. see if that helps alleviate the squeak I ear.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: What's normal heat for disc brakes? [Re: 68HemiB] #1291031
08/28/12 06:10 PM
08/28/12 06:10 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

...so, do I have a problem at all? or did the "new squeak" cause me to look for something that's not there?

Bingo!

68HemiB's description is right on. You just never bothered to notice before and you have no baseline, so they just seemed hot because you were paying attention. Next time you really lean on them after a long, vigorous drive, stop and feel the heat coming off the rotors. It will be a HUGE difference...and despite the big difference, you still didn't get them hot enough to smoke em. I've seen stock based rotors used on short track race cars get so hot they started to turn orange and discolor the paint on the wheels. That's HOT !

Re: What's normal heat for disc brakes? [Re: TC@HP2] #1291032
08/31/12 09:07 AM
08/31/12 09:07 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
I know brakes can get ridiculously hot, and that's how they work, turning kinetic energy to heat...and that rotors can be hundreds of degrees under "normal" conditions during spririted driving.

but it just worried me that after I drive very easy in town, downshifting as much as I can and using the brakes as little as possible in town where I'm 35mph and less, often only using the brakes to stop from 5-10 mph, and then I can drive 8 miles at speed, and by paying attention, planning ahead, downshifting, I can make it all the way home, coming to a stop without touching the brake pedal, yet I can feel heat in them.

but, I know it's not a ton of heat. I lubed up the front brakes with grease and a lot of the squeal is gone, so until I smell pad material burning, or feel a wheel pulling, then I'll ignore it

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: What's normal heat for disc brakes? [Re: 70Cuda383] #1291033
08/31/12 11:26 AM
08/31/12 11:26 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
My son drove across town last night to come over to my place to replace his alternator. He parked the car, we started pulling out tools and laying everything out when I noticed my infared thermometer in a drawer. So I pulled it out and shot a bead on the rotor, hub, wheel, etc.

Rotor was 140, hub was 160, wheel was 140 and this was after sitting for about 10 minutes while we gathered up beverages and tools. This was a casual, every day drive through city traffic. So, that area was easily as hot as the average engine bay.

Nothing to worry about.

Re: What's normal heat for disc brakes? [Re: 70Cuda383] #1291034
08/31/12 05:30 PM
08/31/12 05:30 PM
Plainfield, NJ - USA
M
mustardketchup Offline
mustardketchup  Offline
M

Plainfield, NJ - USA
With disk brakes, the pad always has contact with the spinning rotor - even if your foot is not on the brake. Drum brakes, on the other hand, have springs that pull the shoes away from the spinning drum when the brake pedal is not pressed down. If TC@HP2 did the same infrared thermometer test on a car with front drum brakes, I speculate that the drum and wheel would be a good bit cooler.

I figure engineers back in the early- to mid-60's were worried about disk brake pad wear when disk brakes were first being proposed for production cars. I remember reading that the engineers for the Corvette were concerned about disk pad wear because there was nothing to pull the pads away from the rotor when the brakes were not being used. They found that their fears were unfounded and the pads lasted 50,000 miles or so (from Karl Ludvigsen's book "Corvette: America's Star Spangled Sports Car"). If these engineers acknowledged that the pad is always touching the spinning rotor, it would go hand-in-hand that the assembly is also going to inherently produce heat - even if the brakes are not in hard use.

All of the newer cars I drive all have front wheels/brakes that seem very warm - even after a leisurely drive across town. So I think that you have nothing to worry about.

Re: What's normal heat for disc brakes? [Re: mustardketchup] #1291035
08/31/12 06:32 PM
08/31/12 06:32 PM
SoCal
68HemiB Offline
master
68HemiB  Offline
master

SoCal
Quote:

With disk brakes, the pad always has contact with the spinning rotor - even if your foot is not on the brake. Drum brakes, on the other hand, have springs that pull the shoes away from the spinning drum when the brake pedal is not pressed down. If [Email]TC@HP2[/Email] did the same infrared thermometer test on a car with front drum brakes, I speculate that the drum and wheel would be a good bit cooler.

It is correct to observe that drum brake have return springs not found in disk brakes.
It is also true that pads are not actively retracted from the rotor, once hydraulic pressure is released.

However, I am going to respectfully disagree that [absent hydraulic pressure] a pad's slight contact with the spinning rotor is significant enough to heat the rotor measurably. Tires and wheels get hot when rolling down the road, and in turn heat up the parts to which they are bolted (like the rotors). That's what is going on in the I-drove-my-vehicle-without-using-the-brakes scenario. A vehicle with drum brakes will have warm drums after a drive, even if that vehicle comes to a stop without the application of the brakes.

Down to just a blue car now.
Re: What's normal heat for disc brakes? [Re: 68HemiB] #1291036
09/05/12 11:56 PM
09/05/12 11:56 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
On heavy vehicle with small brakes, street temperatures can be fairly high.
The Ford SHO's run particulaly hot due to the above plus weight distribution.
So for comparison, on an old website (www.SHOtimesBrakes2.html) the following was described

"I ran some brake temperature tests and measured 385 F on my front rotors in rush hour traffic on a 45 mph street because of several sequential stoplights. (I have an 89 SHO with 10.1 in. rotors.) Another test with four back to back 60 mph stops generated 550 F. That's plenty hot, and about as hot as you would ever get on the street, even with an aggressively driven SHO. Even just one 80 mph stop generates 385 F of heat. However, one high speed 140 mph stop will generate up to 1025 F!!!"

Which is why a day at the track generally requires different pads than autocross or street use.

Re: What's normal heat for disc brakes? [Re: Mattax] #1291037
09/06/12 10:23 PM
09/06/12 10:23 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Quote:

On heavy vehicle with small brakes, street temperatures can be fairly high.
The Ford SHO's run particulaly hot due to the above plus weight distribution.
So for comparison, on an old website (www.SHOtimesBrakes2.html) the following was described

"I ran some brake temperature tests and measured 385 F on my front rotors in rush hour traffic on a 45 mph street because of several sequential stoplights. (I have an 89 SHO with 10.1 in. rotors.) Another test with four back to back 60 mph stops generated 550 F. That's plenty hot, and about as hot as you would ever get on the street, even with an aggressively driven SHO. Even just one 80 mph stop generates 385 F of heat. However, one high speed 140 mph stop will generate up to 1025 F!!!"

Which is why a day at the track generally requires different pads than autocross or street use.

Yea, smaller brakes will be hotter because there's less mass to absorb and dissipate heat, but the brakes I was asking about are not small. I have 13" rotors all the way around with 4-piston brembos from the front of a gen2 Viper.

Any I was well aware of the fact that the pads stay up against the rotors since they have no retracting springs like drum brakes do. I was just curious as to what temps disc rotors should be under normal "non-use" conditions

Anyway, I found and fixed the squeak that came out of nowhere and caused me to start looking, and now theyre running as quiet as before, so I'll chalk this up as "yea, heat is normal"

**Photobucket sucks**