Houston, Tx
A
AlexP Offline OP
I Live Here
AlexP  Offline OP
I Live Here
A

Houston, Tx
We built a neat 418" 340 X block Stroker with my friend. It's in a really mint survivor T/A. Now that the combo is up and some of the small bugs are worked out.

The Combo is as follows:

K1 Based 418" Stroker
6Pack Carbs with Promax plates on an undported intake.
T/A heads with no port work and PAC 1519 Beehives and stock replacement Ferera Valves. Completely refreshed.
230/240 Hyd Roller on a 110 with .550ish lift and Hughes Roller Lifters.
1 5/8 Headers with Spintech TA Style Mufflers
A premium 3200 stall Converter (The name escapes me at the moment)
He will eventually go with a 3.91SG

We're trying to science out a bit of a flat spot as the outboards open. I'll get the jetting chart tonight and post it up. We've recently been brought onto a possible tuning issue related to the idle air bleed ports and are considering getting orifice size reduced.

When tuning out a 6pack set up, what possible mistakes can be made and what tuning process do you observe when going from start to finish?

My Build thread: Let the hemi swap begin!

1968 wanna be pro touring whatchamacallit with some fancy stuff and a new roof skin.
Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: AlexP] #1289682
08/22/12 04:47 PM
08/22/12 04:47 PM
Shelby mi.
J
JAKE68 Offline
pro stock
JAKE68  Offline
pro stock
J

Shelby mi.
Outward carbs opening too quick. Slow them down. I have had to put in sometimes two springs in pods to slow them down.

JAKES AUTOMOTIVE
Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: JAKE68] #1289683
08/22/12 04:51 PM
08/22/12 04:51 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
F.A.S.T. Tommy would be the one I'd ask....but I'm not sure he'd care to divulge what the tricks are for his 11.40 second F.A.S.T T/A 6 pack.

The 416 is definately gonna draw the outboards open too quick for the short stroke 340 diaphagm springs, going stiffer would be a given IMHO. I'd go ahead and swap in some quick-change 'phrams while you're at it. I always start with the stiffest ones in the box and work my way down.... when the tires shred and the tack pegs like you've hit an ice patch you're pretty close

I know that big block Strokers love 6-packs, my old Iron head Stage V 508 is roaming the streets of Chi-town in a gorgeous 72 Roadrunner with a 6bbl, check with Paul Member PHJ426

Last edited by Streetwize; 08/22/12 04:57 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: AlexP] #1289684
08/22/12 04:57 PM
08/22/12 04:57 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Start with controlling the opening rate as jake has already pointed out, another NHRA stock class method is to reaise the float level in the outboard carbs. (both of the with the mortor running )until the fuel starts to drip out of the venturi boosters and then lower the float level between 1/8 and 1/4 turn down Are these the stock 340 six pak carbs with the Po Max blocks or some other six pak carbs? Have you treid changing the center carb. pump squirter to a bigger one ike a #37 or bigger? If not try that also, it is easier to change and see instant results

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1289685
08/22/12 05:49 PM
08/22/12 05:49 PM
Finally a HUSKER again
Moparnut426 Offline
I Live Here
Moparnut426  Offline
I Live Here

Finally a HUSKER again
Guys, where does one get stiffer springs for the outboard pods?

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: Moparnut426] #1289686
08/22/12 07:11 PM
08/22/12 07:11 PM
Texas
E
ef8Cuda340 Offline
enthusiast
ef8Cuda340  Offline
enthusiast
E

Texas
All great ideas so far.

Here are some observations on two items. When I punch it from rolling start it has a slight hesitation, then the outboards kick in.

Also, at idle, when the air blead holes in the center carb are covered slightly with fingertips, it will idle up and have a smoother idle. How can we fix this?

All carbs are the original 2300 series carbs and sent in to Promax for tweeking for a 340. The center carb was bought new and reworked by ProMax, as well as the original outboards with Promax jet plates (i have the jet sizes at home and i'll post tonight).

Pump squirter is stock.

My goal is to "feel like I've hit an ice patch" when I punch it.
thanks!

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: ef8Cuda340] #1289687
08/22/12 09:06 PM
08/22/12 09:06 PM
Central NC
gch Offline
master
gch  Offline
master

Central NC
The hesitation from a roll when you punch it could be the pump cam adjustment or a different profile cam needed.

I am guessing the spring kits for an vacuum secondary holley will work but someone needs to confirm this as I havent had a sixpack on a motor since 1986.

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: ef8Cuda340] #1289688
08/22/12 09:28 PM
08/22/12 09:28 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
How do you know the hesitation is happening before the outboards are kicking in ?

I had put mechanical linkage on a 6pk on a 440 , I would get a huge bog because the outboards opened too fast. the butterflies have to open before fuel begins to flow because there is no accelerator pumps on the outboards ... but you knew that ...

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: JohnRR] #1289689
08/23/12 03:35 AM
08/23/12 03:35 AM
Finalnd, Perkele
J
jyrki Offline
master
jyrki  Offline
master
J

Finalnd, Perkele
I built a 410 six pack about a year ago. It was pretty mild with ported factory heads, a little under 10:1 CR and a comp cams 285 XE hydraulic flat tappet cam. Bought the pro max plates, but they jammed the floats and didn't work. So, we reinstalled the stock plates and everything else was stock too. Worked great in the dyno, and in the car too. Made 410 hp through stock manifolds and T/A pipes & mufflers, and 440 with 1 5/8 primary headers and 3" exhaust & mufflers in a realistic dyno.

Plynouth VIP '67 TT IC EFI
Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: jyrki] #1289690
08/23/12 07:06 AM
08/23/12 07:06 AM
Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

You have to do the "dance" as described below before you can finish the fine tune.

Please read this document which is the work many people including myself.

This is a guide to tune six packs for street engines. Revised 02-2011
Stroker or non stroker, big block or small block.
Never the final word, but close enough for now, it gets updated from time to time.

WARNING

Gasoline is flammable and will burn you

Carbon monoxide is produced from running cars
Esp. improperly tuned six pak cars.

USE A CO2 ALARM IN THE WORK AREA!!!!!!!!

This is not for the faint of heart. If you wondered why people shy away from six paks just read on.

When tuned properly Six pak cars turn on! faster & run far better than single 4 barrel cars exc a thermoquad. If you want your six pak car to run like it should do the dance and have the right tools to make it happen. Patience must be used throughout the process. Much of the information here can be used on a 4 barrel as well.

Some theory of operation:

Things to Remember
Six pak engines run AND idle on all three carbs at all times.
Only the center carb has an acceleration pump
The outboard are always contributing fuel…always

The car must idle and run/drive like a normal car before attempting any secondary action or wide open throttle passes.

Whacking the throttle in neutral to see if the outboards open is not a legitimate test!!!

Over jetting will not allow you to get the idle mixture correct as the jet size does contribute to what happens in the idle circuit. Go read the theory of operation in the Mopar book

A good vacuum gage, quality tach in the car and dial back timing light/digital tach [snap on timing light with numeric readout].

A good ignition system. MSD, Mallory chrome mopar box, NO orange boxes unless you know for sure it is early 80’s vintage. Anything made after 1988 is questionable.

Quality distributor cap & rotor
Firecore spark plug wires
Spark plugs of the proper heat range. Clean and gapped
0.040 mopar box
0.050 msd cd type ignition

Vacuum adv distributor with heavy enough springs to hold advance until 1200 rpm.
The distributor phasing has been checked and corrected as necessary
THIS IS IMPORTANT
Distributor vacuum port on carb disconnected and plugged at carb
Mopar viscous fan package

ATTENTION -195 degree thermostat- ATTENTION
THIS IS IMPORTANT
60%water-40% coolant with a bottle of water wetter

Pay attention here: If you run a lower temp thermostat, raw fuel will collect in the intake. That fuel burns off in the cruise mode and the air-fuel mixture goes lean.
This is transparent unless the a-f ratio is being monitored with a wideband a-f meter
There will be problems getting it to idle and drivability.

Make sure the timing is 15 - 18 deg btdc [advance] at idle. THIS IS IMPORTANT
Set the timing marks at 15 btdc and align the rotor with the LEADING EDGE of the cap contact-this is one reason the phasing was checked.
Car in neutral-auto or 4 sp, emergency brake set.
A good quality vacuum gage is required
Connect vacuum gauge to direct manifold vacuum source.

The heat crossover should be blocked on big & small blocks
Note: in temps below 40 degree it will take a good while to get the car warmed up. Block heaters will eliminate the long warm ups.

Automatic cars: be sure there is enough stall in the torque converter or the car may be a real pig idling in gear and have poor get-up & go.

Beware of mopar orange ignition control boxes that retard the timing etc. Orange boxes built after 1988 tend to have issues.

Preparation: on the work bench
Outboards: Remove the lead plugs
Set the outboards idle adj screws out 1/8 turn ccw THIS IS IMPORTANT
Be careful when seating the idle screws to set them before the 1/8 setting. Gently is the word. If you look inside the carb bore you will see the needles poking in ever-so-slightly. They should be equal.

Install the BLACK springs – Just do it, ignore everything else you have read.
Install the BLACK springs – Just do it, ignore everything else you have read.
Yes I repeated that, explained way below

I you have the jetable metering plates, If so read their instructions and follow them.

Center carb
Set the center carb idle adjustment screws at 1.5 turns out [ccw] THIS IS IMPORTANT
Be sure to adjust the idle screw until the throttle blades are closed and the transfer slot is exposed no larger than a square. [Carb will have to be off the car to see this] You only want about .040" of the transfer slots exposed below the throttle plates. If the idle screw is adjusted too high, you will be into the transition circuit, exposing too much of the vertical rectangular slot. Many times the idle screw is adjusted incorrectly to compensate for other issues. This puts the carb into the transition circuit and at that point you have no mixture control on the center carb.

If you have new carbs (untouched) they will have 62 jets in the center carb & a 6.5hg power valve. Starting point jetting stock 340 use 62’s, highly modified or stroker use 64’s, big blocks start with 64, stroker 65.
You must know what power valve is in the center carb. Typically a 6.5

Reminder 195 degree thermostat required.

Temporarily change out the brass sight plug on the fuel bowls (all 3) with Holley’s clear sight plugs, to see the float level without any gas spills

Do not use an idle solenoid; a properly tuned car will have no “run on” issues

Factory style linkage, no progressive/ mechanical linkages!

Fuel pump: Carter street pump.
Factory style fuel lines only.
Use rubber hose only for tuning purposes.
Fuel filter should be in the stock location.
Make sure the linkage is set properly. The rods should fall into the hole on the carb lever. Do this after you set the throttle blades on the slot?
Check the linkage for any binding, manually open the center carb to wot and see if the secondaries will rotate open. Have an assistant floor the gas pedal and check for wide open throttle

Start car
allow engine to reach operating temp. Set idle to 1000 rpm

Fuel level adjustment THIS IS IMPORTANT, this is best done idling at 1000-1100 rpm
The slotted screw on top of the needle n seat is just a lock screw,
To adj the float level loosen the lock screw to rotate the seat nut,
Turning the adjuster nut counter clockwise will RAISE fuel level in the bowl,
Clockwise will LOWER it
Make only small 1/2 turns and wait 3 or more minutes so the fuel levels off before rechecking level. Patience!!
Center carb the fuel level is at the bottom of the sight plug hole
Secondaries just starting to come over the bottom of the sight plug hole
This is critical so get it right.

Set idle for 900 rpm
If the car won’t idle:
Is engine vacuum reading at least 2 hg higher than the power valve rating? If ok proceed, if not correct power valve issue and proceed.
Note some engines only pull 5 hg of vacuum so use a 2.5 power valve.
Advance the initial timing a bit to see if it helps idle.
Be sure operating temp is 195-210
Be sure some fool did not put light springs in the distributor.

Now set the initial timing to where it wants to be. Somewhere between 10-20 degrees BTDC. The engine will tell you by increasing vacuum and rpm at this point. In some applications the engine does not care, so set it to 12-14 degrees BTDC.
Chart:
Cams with 106-degree ctrlines seem to like initial timing set at 16-22 BTDC
Cams with 108-degree ctrlines seem to like initial timing set at 12-18 BTDC
Cams with 110-114 degree ctrlines seem to like initial timing set at 8-14 BTDC

Re-Set the idle rpm for 900-See if you have "control" over the idle mixture screws on the ctr carb.

Using a good vacuum gage adj center carb mixture to highest reading of vacuum.
This is where the digital [numeric readout] tach is better than the vacuum gage.
If you do not have control over the idle mixture you have issues that need to be taken care of before proceeding. Over jetting contributes to this

Typically if you have the center carb idle mixture screws between 1 to 2 turns ccw
you do not have to adjust the outboard idle mixture any further. Starting with the front carb, adj the mixture screws one at a time 1/16th turn ccw, after turning each screw wait and see what the engine vacuum and rpm do. Obviously if you have a wideband a-f gauge you will see what is happening.

If you are 2 turns out on the ctr carb idle mixture and the idle is still too lean, the outboards need to contribute more fuel to the idle. Open the idle mixture screws another 1/8 turn ccw. Now they will be out a total of ¼ of a turn ccw. Now go back and reset the idle mixture and rpm.

If the idle is too rich no matter what you do…Most times you are over jetted or you have other issues....
Over jetted carbs will have poor idle control. At idle fuel flows from the float chamber thru the main jet then into a the small angular but horizontal passage that leads across to a vertical passage and onto the idle feed restriction where it is mixed with the air coming in from the idle bleed. Remember this. Do not over jet!

Beware of other issues such as poor intake sealing, carb gaskets backwards, the wrong pcv valve, a vacuum leak from the brake booster or other places, wrong pwr valve, wrong thermostat etc.

Recheck idle rpm and set to 900

Drive car like a normal person, no wide open throttle. Is the car rich? Jets down 2 steps until you find the min jet size. You will know when you are lean as you will have no power.

Now reset the initial timing again. Somewhere between 10-20 degrees BTDC. The engine will tell you by increasing vacuum and rpm some point and then falling off. In some applications the engine does not care, so see chart.

Re-Set the rpm for 900-See if you have "control" over the idle mixture screws. Using a good vacuum gage adj each mixture screw to highest reading of vacuum. If you have a wideband afr meter set to 14.7 See how close you are between the vac gauge and af meter.

Recheck idle rpm and set to 800-950 depending on engine build, hook up vac adv and make sure car still runs/drives properly.

How do you know when you are "there”?
If the car gets up and goes seamlessly you are there
The engine when hot soaked restarts immediately without touching the throttle
The car will idle at 700-900 rpm in neutral and the response is crisp.
There is no smell of raw gas in the exhaust.
The bottom of the intake is not soaked with fuel. Open a carb and look in
The spark plugs are clean and white.
The engine when cold starts easily runs and drives smoothly from the get go.
When the engine is rev’d and the throttle released it immediately returns to idle.
The vacuum advance is hooked up and the car drives well.

OK if you made it this far it’s time for the Secondaries

The reason you put the black spring is to delay the opening of the secondaries until the engine is ready for it. The engine will run fine on just the center carb till at least 3000 rpm. The air fuel mixture spikes lean when the secondaries open, but at higher rpms this is transparent and has no affect on performance. The opening of the secondaries should be seamless, but very apparent and usually scary to the uninitiated.
Some cars may enjoy a lighter spring.

The secondaries rods should be disconnected and removed and the vac signal blocked.

Please do this safely and with regard for others….
Go out and drive the car on the center carb and determine what rpm the car starts to fall off in power. Take note.
The car should have a ton of power just with the center carb.
Be sure to several wot runs.
Please do this safely and with regard for others…

Reconnect carb linkage and vac lines; be sure to set the length of the rods properly.
Now go for a drive and see what rpm the six pak hits.
Please do this safely and with regard for others….
Hold first gear or 2nd gear, run up to 2500 rpm, and floor it. What should happen is the secondaries open without any hesitation and the cars gets up and really goes.

The long vacuum hoses for the outboard carbs need to be exactly the same length.

Pulling a vacuum on the hose should make the vacuum pod open the throttle blade and hold a vacuum

The best way to dial in the secondary air fuel ratio is with a wide band air fuel meter.
A fine tuned seatofthepantsometer and spark plug reading will work for the more experienced.

If you made it this far and the car is bogging when the six pak opens you need to go back and recheck starting at the top. Bogs are usually from the secondaries opening too soon!!

Notes:
Automatic cars with too tight of a converter will cause significant idle rpm drops when in drive, the car will not run at it’s full potential so be sure to use the correct converter for the application.

Some cars like staggered jetting.

Reminder 195 degree thermostat required.

If car spits fuel out of the vent[s] it means the o ring on the needle seat is bad.

It’s always easier to remove the front carb for rejetting.
Tape over intake and make sure there is never any unaccounted for hardware

If you are using a wideband O2 meter you will see a lean spike when the secondaries open. It should be small and you should not feel it.

If the initial timing exceeds 12 degrees BTDC with a MP distributor typically the advance curve will need to be modified so the total timing is not more than 34 degrees BTDC.

Chart to shorten the slots if you have a non adjustable mopar distributor.
Distributor degrees X 2 + initial= total
18 initial plus 14
32-36 total advance typically
There should be No adv until 1200 rpm
Then the advance should increase slowly until it is “all in” at 24 - 2800 rpm lighter to heavier cars

Dist. degrees / slot size
6.............. .340
7............... .355
8............... .375
9............... .390
10.............. .405
11.5 ........... .420
12.............. .435
13.............. .445
14.............. .460
15.............. .475
16.............. .490
17.............. .505
18.............. .520

There are 2 basic plates in the distributor one that has 11deg advance and one that is 17. I believe the slot length on the 17 one is .480. Then subtract the diameter of the pin that slides in there and that’s your travel. Now figure out how much you need. I run about 15deg advanced in most situations at idle. So 15+17*2=49 degrees way too much. You need to remove about 11-13 degrees. So using that 1/64 is 1 degree the slot needs to be shortened by about .17 inches. Just braze or weld it then file it to the right shape and length. That will give you 15 degrees at idle and then 38 at the top end. I use a factory light spring and an mp light spring in my distributor brings the full advance in at about 2000rpm.

Reducing the length of the slots will reduce the amount of centrifugal advance in the distributor. I’ve found over the years that app. every .015" (about 1/64") decrease in slot length is one distributor degree.

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: AlexP] #1289691
08/23/12 01:16 PM
08/23/12 01:16 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
First thing to do is to install a wide band so you can see what is going on. Once you have the wide band installed then work your way thru the necessary corrections until you have a nice flat fuel curve.

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: ThermoQuad] #1289692
08/23/12 01:19 PM
08/23/12 01:19 PM
Houston, Tx
A
AlexP Offline OP
I Live Here
AlexP  Offline OP
I Live Here
A

Houston, Tx
Here are the current jetting numbers:

Front DS:83 PS:79

Center DS:67 PS:65

Rear DS:79 PS:83

1968 wanna be pro touring whatchamacallit with some fancy stuff and a new roof skin.
Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: AlexP] #1289693
08/23/12 01:42 PM
08/23/12 01:42 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
50cc pump center carb. 35-37 squirter. 6.5 pv.(i dont care what your vac is) yellow springs in the outboards. some kind of phenolic spacer between the carbs and intake. keep the jetting where you have it and read your plugs

Last edited by sixpackgut; 08/23/12 01:46 PM.

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: AndyF] #1289694
08/23/12 02:24 PM
08/23/12 02:24 PM
Houston, Tx
A
AlexP Offline OP
I Live Here
AlexP  Offline OP
I Live Here
A

Houston, Tx
Quote:

First thing to do is to install a wide band so you can see what is going on. Once you have the wide band installed then work your way thru the necessary corrections until you have a nice flat fuel curve.

I've been telling him this...

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: Streetwize] #1289695
08/23/12 10:54 PM
08/23/12 10:54 PM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Quote:

F.A.S.T. Tommy would be the one I'd ask....but I'm not sure he'd care to divulge what the tricks are for his 11.40 second F.A.S.T T/A 6 pack.

The 416 is definately gonna draw the outboards open too quick for the short stroke 340 diaphagm springs, going stiffer would be a given IMHO. I'd go ahead and swap in some quick-change 'phrams while you're at it. I always start with the stiffest ones in the box and work my way down.... when the tires shred and the tack pegs like you've hit an ice patch you're pretty close

I know that big block Strokers love 6-packs, my old Iron head Stage V 508 is roaming the streets of Chi-town in a gorgeous 72 Roadrunner with a 6bbl, check with Paul Member PHJ426

The FAST guys situation is generally different enough that I would not bet that what they do is best.

I've said this before, you cannot tune the second opening rate on the street and expect it to translate to the best et at the track, the environemnts are too different. You have to tune it at the track. Futhermore, it is more of a function of the car/suspension rather than the engine. For the same engine the best operating rate will be FAR different for a heavy, tight converter,tall gear car verses a light, high stall short gear car.

A heavy/tight converter/tall gear car with the outboard opening rate tuned for the best et/mph, will likely bog or hesitate when on the street dropping the hammer from a roll.

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: BSB67] #1289696
08/24/12 11:26 AM
08/24/12 11:26 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

The FAST guys situation is generally different enough that I would not bet that what they do is best.

I've said this before, you cannot tune the second opening rate on the street and expect it to translate to the best et at the track, the environemnts are too different. You have to tune it at the track. Futhermore, it is more of a function of the car/suspension rather than the engine. For the same engine the best operating rate will be FAR different for a heavy, tight converter,tall gear car verses a light, high stall short gear car.

A heavy/tight converter/tall gear car with the outboard opening rate tuned for the best et/mph, will likely bog or hesitate when on the street dropping the hammer from a roll.

I'm rather new to six packs but this seems likely as I have a very slight delay nailing it from a roll (20mph or so) but at the track (or from a dead stop stomp) it's all out flat on. I'd just grab your car tuning kit and hit the track.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: ThermoQuad] #1289697
08/24/12 01:51 PM
08/24/12 01:51 PM
DTW
drmopar Offline
master
drmopar  Offline
master

DTW
Quote:

WARNING

CO2 alarm? That would be going off immediately if the car was not running. Iam sure you meant CO alarm....

--------------------
RM27H9G 4 speed F8/tan guts
RS27L9G auto B5/black guts
WM23H9G auto F5/green guts
2021 Challenger 392 Indigo/black guts
2019 Charger Daytona R/T F8 on black
2018 Ram Sport Hemi 4x4
Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: drmopar] #1289698
08/24/12 02:44 PM
08/24/12 02:44 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
While I agree that street vs Track conditions are very different, I have always found that strokers with automatics are far less 'finicky' in terms of running great under all consitions. They sre also more forgiving of tight converters beacause the extra displacent acts like 'built-in stall' in terms of the torque ( not necessarily RPM) hitting the converter. The beauty of 6paks for me was being able to change out vacuum diapragms within minutes ( i always used the quick change kits) and actually be able to tweak at the track for traction conditions.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

In Car:

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: Streetwize] #1289699
08/25/12 08:07 AM
08/25/12 08:07 AM
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Thanks for the spelling lesson, did you read and comprehend the document or would you rather just pollute the thread with nit picking nonsense??

A lot of very talented peoples work has gone into the document so be respectful.

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: ThermoQuad] #1289700
08/25/12 10:28 AM
08/25/12 10:28 AM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

Thanks for the spelling lesson, did you read and comprehend the document or would you rather just pollute the thread with nit picking nonsense??

A lot of very talented peoples work has gone into the document so be respectful.

Are you talking about this post?

Quote:

Quote:

WARNING

CO2 alarm? That would be going off immediately if the car was not running. Iam sure you meant CO alarm....

If so, I don't see anything wrong with it and don't see anything smart about it...seems he was just pointing out a typo.....

Nice job on the write up.... There are a few things you may consider changing........

First is this line;

Quote:

When tuned properly Six pak cars turn on! faster & run far better than single 4 barrel cars

Pure and simple, that's not true.........

Second is this line;

Quote:

Is engine vacuum reading at least 2 hg higher than the power valve rating? If ok proceed, if not correct power valve issue and proceed.
Note some engines only pull 5 hg of vacuum so use a 2.5 power valve.

That has not worked for me, and I've tuned quite a few Six Packs and Holley carbs......Personaly, I pick the PV by what the lowest amount of vacuum it has at cruise, and then go 2 numbers lower than that.......

Third;

Quote:

Using a good vacuum gage adj each mixture screw to highest reading of vacuum. If you have a wideband afr meter set to 14.7 See how close you are between the vac gauge and af meter.

I don't understand why anyone would set the idle mixture to 14.7 to 1? I've never had any motor want to idle that lean.......Cab is the only person I've seen suggest to tune to that number and he says to do it at cruise which makes no sense either.......You'd have to have a motor with ZERO fuel fall out at idle or cruise to be able to tune it that lean, and even then, that's not necessarily what any motor wants.......

Fourth;

Quote:

The best way to dial in the secondary air fuel ratio is with a wide band air fuel meter.

The A/F meter is great for getting you in the ballpark, but the best way to figure out jetting is at the track tuning for best MPH......

Otherwise, great job ......and I hope you take what I've written as constructive criticism instead of "nit picking nonsense."

If you can't handle the truth, you're living a lie.......
Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: Big Squeeze] #1289701
08/26/12 10:16 AM
08/26/12 10:16 AM
upstate western ny
sogtx Offline
master
sogtx  Offline
master

upstate western ny
Heres the big block Solution :
Bob k secret camshaft, maybe hes got simething
Up his sleeve for small blocks

505 stroke 500 hp dyno sheet ,
Idles like a vw and made 16-20" hg
At idle

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: Streetwize] #1289702
08/26/12 11:00 AM
08/26/12 11:00 AM
Richmond Twp. Mi.
Mr340 Offline
super stock
Mr340  Offline
super stock

Richmond Twp. Mi.
Quote:

The beauty of 6paks for me was being able to change out vacuum diapragms within minutes ( i always used the quick change kits) and actually be able to tweak at the track for traction conditions.

will the 4bbl quick change diaphragms fit/work on 2300's or is there a specific QCD for them?

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: Mr340] #1289703
08/26/12 11:53 AM
08/26/12 11:53 AM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
Dudes,

Did anybody see this little jewel in the Tech Archives??
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/fuel/7.html

WIZE

In Car:

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: AlexP] #1289704
08/26/12 01:41 PM
08/26/12 01:41 PM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
I found the six-pack carbs don't like high fuel pressure. Originally we could not get the outer carb fuel levels to stay set. Found we had 9-psi fuel pressure and the float arms were bending on the outer floats that had the black plastic type floats. The brass center float did not seem to have this problem. Pressure regulator adjustment was the solution for that problem.
With the larger stroker engine and cam, make sure you are not into the transfer slots at idle.
If the idle mixture is too lean, you may have to open up the idle restrictor, this should also richen up the transition circuit which will help with off idle hesitation. As mentioned, you may need stiffer vacuum springs on the outboard carbs.

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: Big Squeeze] #1289705
08/26/12 08:58 PM
08/26/12 08:58 PM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Your post a few months ago on your 6 pac tuning experience is probably the best that I've read anywhere. Your thoughtful changes and associated data collection displays very well the causes and effects that support the results quite logically. It shows nicely the interrelated aspects of the 6 pac in about as simple of a way as possible.

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: BSB67] #1289706
08/27/12 01:54 AM
08/27/12 01:54 AM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

Your post a few months ago on your 6 pac tuning experience is probably the best that I've read anywhere. Your thoughtful changes and associated data collection displays very well the causes and effects that support the results quite logically. It shows nicely the interrelated aspects of the 6 pac in about as simple of a way as possible.

Well, thanks..... I figured that thread had already been totally forgotten about.......

I still learn something about tuning every day......

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: Big Squeeze] #1289707
08/27/12 10:02 AM
08/27/12 10:02 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
What's an A/F meter?

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1289708
08/27/12 10:07 AM
08/27/12 10:07 AM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Quote:

What's an A/F meter?

Small electrodes that say "Champion" on them...

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: Dragula] #1289709
08/27/12 07:19 PM
08/27/12 07:19 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

What's an A/F meter?

Mine say NGK will that work?

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1289710
08/27/12 09:50 PM
08/27/12 09:50 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What's an A/F meter?

Mine say NGK will that work?

Reading spark plugs to tune driveability instead of using an O2 sensor is like bouncing a wooden bat off your tires to check tire pressure instead of using a tire pressure gauge.........

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: Big Squeeze] #1289711
08/27/12 09:58 PM
08/27/12 09:58 PM
-
R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
Ask Jake King, or Maurice Petty about that 'wooden bat'...

'Sensor' is subjective...They didn't all have dials...

Re: Stroker Motors and 6 packs: what are the tricks? [Re: RSNOMO] #1289712
08/27/12 10:04 PM
08/27/12 10:04 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

Ask Jake King, or Maurice Petty about that 'wooden bat'...

'Sensor' is subjective...They didn't all have dials...

I've seen truck driver's get pretty close with a bat while checking tire pressure, that's why I said that...

Page 1 of 2 1 2