08/21/12 08:18 PM
Nunya CA
CR8CRSHR Offline OP
master
CR8CRSHR  Offline OP
master

Nunya CA
Define Valve Lashing...
OK....I am having the most difficult time getting my roller rockers to quiet down on a newly re-built 383. Just some quick particulars...

1965 383 block with stock crank, rods, 516 heads,etc. Pistons are HP slugs and the cam is a mild 2328 from Hughes. I am also using their MOPAR specific hydraulic lifters and push rods with Comp Cams valve springs rated for a max lift of .525. The cam has a max lift @ 1.5 rocker ratio of .518. New valve guides, hardened seats, shims to get the springs equal, keepers and guides. Now before I get hammered for using them, I am running the CAT roller rockers. They are the same ones as on my last 383 build which is exactly the same as this one. I have had no issues with them what so ever.

Any way...I am still getting noise out of the left and right valve covers after lashing the rockers on 3 previous occasions. This time I backed them out fully and then using Don Taylor's Big Block Book which is my build bible, I re-lashed them again. Motor fired right up but I am still getting chatter. Now here is the question????

When lashing the valves/rockers what is the acceptable and most common way of determining the "resistance" when setting the lash. Is it when the rocker adjuster ball is seated in the push rod cup and no longer will move up or down but still turn or rotate while in position?????? And then adding say a 1/2 turn additional to fully set them or...

Using the same above technique, obtain resistance up and down along with the no rotation of the push rod and then a 1/2 turn to set them?

The key word here is "Resistance". I have had them too tight and no engine fire up so that is not the issue now. Just cannot get them to quiet down and it is really getting annoying trying to get them to quit. Other than that, the motor is running and no leaks...unless you leave the valve covers loose on the head and you wind up with an oil spill underneath and smoke in the shop from the oil burning on the exhaust...

Last edited by CR8CRSHR; 08/22/12 02:31 PM.
Re: Define Valve Lash Please [Re: CR8CRSHR] #1289319
08/22/12 01:14 AM
08/22/12 01:14 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I'm assuming you have hydraulic lifters in this motor, Correct? If so I suggest you buy or borrow two soild lifters and check the ratio of your CAT rockers to start with, check all 16 I bought several sets of the CAT rockers for a stroker motor I built for myself, the ratio didn't check correctly Now onto setting the lash on a hydrualic lifters, I use this method, when the exhaust just starts to open I set the intake rocker, I back the adjuster off until I get free movement bewteen the adjuster and the pushrod, I then slowly tighten the adjuster up while I spin the pushrod with my fingers on the other hand(a real pain but it is needed) and move it up and down until I get zero lash, I add 1/4 to 1/2 turn of preload on the adjuster and lock it down Now rotate the motor over in the normal rotation(clockwise facing the motor from the front of the radaitor) until the intake valve opens all the way and starts to close, set the exhaust valve lash using the same procedure as on the intake valve rocker arm You may find the lifters clatter after setting them If so let the motor run for awhile , get the oil warmed up and shut it off, start it again and let it run several times to help let the lifters pump back up proplerly BTW, it is better to do it twice once when cold to start with and finally after the motor is warmeed up good, say after driving it for 30 minutes plus so the oil is hot and the block, heads, rocker arms, rocker shafts and everything else that affects the lash is warmed up like it will be when you drive it normally

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Define Valve Lash Please [Re: CR8CRSHR] #1289320
08/22/12 02:20 AM
08/22/12 02:20 AM
MN
hemidup Offline
super stock
hemidup  Offline
super stock

MN
I just went through the same issue's your explaning cept on a recent built 70/383. BTW, I didn't build the motor...just ended up with the problem's/headach. The issue was that the right side lifter's didn't pump up vs the left side which did. I replaced the lifter's on the right bank with no availe, but then I dug in the back room and found some new NOS SB lifter's with the wider single groove reciever, replaced them and the clatter went away.

Jerry Williams.