08/19/12 06:40 PM
08/19/12 06:40 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
If you're stuck with a 5-speed stick, why don't you just pull a T56 6-speed out of a Camaro or Trans Am? If you want you can add a little more gearing to give the car a bit of an umph as well as have the .5 overdrive to keep your rpms down at cruising speeds.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: MuuMuu101] #1286778
08/19/12 11:57 PM
08/19/12 11:57 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

If you're stuck with a 5-speed stick, why don't you just pull a T56 6-speed out of a Camaro or Trans Am? If you want you can add a little more gearing to give the car a bit of an umph as well as have the .5 overdrive to keep your rpms down at cruising speeds.

I've going that route for my car. It's not cheap, even with used stuff. The transmissions aren't the cheapest thing out there. I'll need to hang a hydraulic clutch, the conversion bellhousing is over 500 bucks itself, have to cut the torsion bar crossmember and floor to fit it, in stock form the transmission has no provisions for a mechanical speedo output. Have to fab my own mount, etc. There are a lot of issues to deal with. I bought the trans for 500 bucks, but I'm sure I will have at least 2k into it by the time it's done.

A couple other interesting options for transmissions are out there if you pick up a bellhousing from a mid-late 90's v6 dakota with an ax-15 transmission. That bellhousing will fit a 2wd ax-15 transmission from a 90's cherokee you can score one of those transmissions for cheap, and all the needed conversion bits can be had for quite cheap already. Especially cheap because you're building such a mild v8. I have one of these transmissions in 4x4 form in my jeep behind a 5.2 magnum but have yet to run it. Another option is a toyota supra R154 transmission will bolt to that bellhousing as well. One of those could probably be made to work quite well on the cheap also and should be strong enough.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #1286779
08/20/12 03:24 AM
08/20/12 03:24 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

I've going that route for my car. It's not cheap, even with used stuff. The transmissions aren't the cheapest thing out there. I'll need to hang a hydraulic clutch, the conversion bellhousing is over 500 bucks itself, have to cut the torsion bar crossmember and floor to fit it, in stock form the transmission has no provisions for a mechanical speedo output. Have to fab my own mount, etc. There are a lot of issues to deal with. I bought the trans for 500 bucks, but I'm sure I will have at least 2k into it by the time it's done.

But that's still $2k cheaper than any Keisler kit out there, plus you're getting that extra overdrive gear. And as far as I know, no one has officially released a drop in 5-speed transmission. The last I heard, Passon Performance was still waiting for bearing (I think) that were on back order, and even then they're price was around $4k or so. So if you're going to cut up the floor (assuming you'd have to cut up the floor with the T45 which Keisler is kind of shady at explaining on their website), why not get the 6-speed in there? That's what I'd do anyways.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #1286780
08/20/12 06:57 AM
08/20/12 06:57 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

Quote:

A couple other interesting options for transmissions are out there if you pick up a bellhousing from a mid-late 90's v6 dakota with an ax-15 transmission. That bellhousing will fit a 2wd ax-15 transmission from a 90's cherokee you can score one of those transmissions for cheap, and all the needed conversion bits can be had for quite cheap already. Especially cheap because you're building such a mild v8. I have one of these transmissions in 4x4 form in my jeep behind a 5.2 magnum but have yet to run it. Another option is a toyota supra R154 transmission will bolt to that bellhousing as well. One of those could probably be made to work quite well on the cheap also and should be strong enough.

The T-56 would be perfect... and it is the endgoal for this car... no matter what ends up powering it. But for now... the money isn't there for it, nor is the time. But yes, a Magnum V8 with a T56 and some actual decent gears in the pig would make for a pretty fast AND efficient hotrod.

Onto the Jeep tranny... My girl has a 95 Cherokee 5-speed... and i've never really liked the way it shifts. But then again that is probably just the seating position and long shifter. Maybe with a short-throw in a car it would be good? Thats worth a consideration. I'll have to check out the gearing on both the NV3500 and the Jeep tranny and see whats what.

IF the NV3500 works... finding one already bolted up to a Magnum 318/360 (i'm seriously leaning towards the 360) would be just swell...

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: MuuMuu101] #1286781
08/20/12 07:02 AM
08/20/12 07:02 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

But that's still $2k cheaper than any Keisler kit out there,

Last i checked the new 'RS' T45-based kit was around 2K done. I'm getting a quote this morning. They REAALLY need to get a better working website.

Quote:

And as far as I know, no one has officially released a drop in 5-speed transmission. The last I heard, Passon Performance was still waiting for bearing (I think) that were on back order, and even then they're price was around $4k or so.

I'd love to get that Passon 5-speed. Goes well with my 'simple' theme. But i cant handle the price. I'm sure its worth every penny, and i'm sure he's not even making $100 per unit on them... but still doesn't make me a rich man.

The way i am with scrounging and money i figure that once i get on it, the T56 route will end up costing me a LOT less than 2K all done... especially now that i'm not building a 500HP engine.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: TC@HP2] #1286782
08/20/12 07:09 AM
08/20/12 07:09 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

Torque.

Torque production is a direct reflection of volumetric efficiency. Volumetric effciency is making the most power for a given fuel consumption.

Then engine combo that makes the most torque over the broadest range will produce the most mileage while being the most fun to drive in the lowest rpm range which will allow it to live the longest life.

Certainly smaller displacments use less fuel than larger discplaments, but I would not build a 273 over a 360 for that single point. Also, there is a sweet spot for piston speeds that can be demonstrated in a pumping efficiencies map. Compression is a big factor as well since the more you squeeze the charge, the more power you get from it, the less displacement you need because you're using the fuel more completely. Combine that with swirl and squish and you can get a lot of thermal efficiencies out of a gas engine.

Back to your personal combo...

I'd go 5.2 or 5.9 if they are readily available. If I had to choose, I'd go 360 first with some high swirl heads and as much compression as you're wlling to live with because it is a large torque engine. 650 AFB carb. These are easy to tune and you can really dial in the cruise and power circuits without a lot of trouble. Parts are readily available across the country. Ignition, maybe a stock dizzy with a a chrome box to reduce failure liability, and a decent coil. Simple, effective. small tube headers with dual exhaust and a manual trans of your choice.

Personal note on ignition-in my drag car I ran a stock system with a Jacobs coil, a Crane system with a stock dizzy, and a comlete MSD Digital 6 system. Between all three there was no appreciable difference in idle quality, e.t., or mph. That tells me there is not a huge gap in ignition capability among the popular options.

Using the above approach, I've been able to get the 440 in my truck regularly run in mid to high teens for mileage with a carb, 3 spd auto, and 4:11 gears while pulling like a diesel and being an overall low maintanence build.

I think for the first iteration, finding a running drop-in 360 Magnum would be perfect. Probably only slightly less MPG than the 318, and a lot more fun. Thats gonna make a helluva lot more power than my stock 70 A66 340 did, and that car was fun (and heavy!).

I've become a big 'less is more' guy, and the idea ov tuning the hell out ov a plebian combo like a 360/5-speed/highway-geared/small carb/small cam light car actually gets me excited. My A66 70 Challenger i had years ago was a damn fun car... and it was bone-stock and heavy, and i never even got close to tuning it (still had stock exhaust even). I could make a 360 Magnum 5-speed 3000lb Challenger fly...

Further down the road... if the plans dont change (or if i dont find a real job) then i could see building a tight-quench ported-head, higher comp 318 Magnum. At that point maybe i'll have the T56 and i can run some actual gear out back. At that point the car will most certainly be even lighter as well... and that means under 3000lbs.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1286783
08/20/12 01:07 PM
08/20/12 01:07 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
In their readership survey of Durango owners about a dozen or more years ago,
Popular Mechanics magazine reported that the owners wrote that the 360 apparently got
0.75 MPG less
than the 318

It is so much easier to get MPG increases
with low rolling resistance tires,
And simple aerodynamic improvements
That those two areas should not be overlooked.

Improving innate engine efficiency is hard...
But getting to a better area of the "island" of best efficiency on the BSFC graph
Is mostly about using a numerically lower differential ratio,
And perhaps selecting a camshaft to match the rpm range of whatever diff ratio you go with.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1286784
08/20/12 05:50 PM
08/20/12 05:50 PM
Washington State, USA
W
Winchester 73 Offline
Winchester 73  Offline
W

Washington State, USA
i like this thread!

ill chime in- i dont think a magnum is a necessity for what you are doing and you will lose manifold heat and could hurt mileage,why bothr the added expense of a magnum manifold?you dont need the extra horsepower for a car you desparately want to drive the wheels off?

heres what i would do:

85 closed chamber roller cam 318
swap in a factory magnum cam
swap meet alum manifold
try lots of carbs to see whats best
headers/big exhaust
elec fan
smallest stock pulleys you can find
stock elec dist recurved
working egr system
working hot air to carb system

lockup 904 tranny built strong
2.76 rear end gears

100 shot N O for spirited driving!

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1286785
08/20/12 05:56 PM
08/20/12 05:56 PM
NE
B
bigtail Offline
mopar
bigtail  Offline
mopar
B

NE
If you go with a 360 Magnum, be aware that the power steering pump will interfere with the battery tray, unless you get one out of a van. Apparently they mount the pump different in vans. I have a '72 Challenger that has a 360 Magnum/727 in it, and couldn't figure out why the previous people put the battery in the trunk. Then I read a thread about it the power steering issue here, and the dim light bulb came on. Just one more little thing to be aware of.

Last edited by bigtail; 08/20/12 05:58 PM.

This page is made up completely of recycled electrons.
Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1286786
08/20/12 05:58 PM
08/20/12 05:58 PM
Washington State, USA
W
Winchester 73 Offline
Winchester 73  Offline
W

Washington State, USA
Quote:

Quote:

Torque.

Torque production is a direct reflection of volumetric efficiency. Volumetric effciency is making the most power for a given fuel consumption.

Then engine combo that makes the most torque over the broadest range will produce the most mileage while being the most fun to drive in the lowest rpm range which will allow it to live the longest life.

Certainly smaller displacments use less fuel than larger discplaments, but I would not build a 273 over a 360 for that single point. Also, there is a sweet spot for piston speeds that can be demonstrated in a pumping efficiencies map. Compression is a big factor as well since the more you squeeze the charge, the more power you get from it, the less displacement you need because you're using the fuel more completely. Combine that with swirl and squish and you can get a lot of thermal efficiencies out of a gas engine.

Back to your personal combo...

I'd go 5.2 or 5.9 if they are readily available. If I had to choose, I'd go 360 first with some high swirl heads and as much compression as you're wlling to live with because it is a large torque engine. 650 AFB carb. These are easy to tune and you can really dial in the cruise and power circuits without a lot of trouble. Parts are readily available across the country. Ignition, maybe a stock dizzy with a a chrome box to reduce failure liability, and a decent coil. Simple, effective. small tube headers with dual exhaust and a manual trans of your choice.

Personal note on ignition-in my drag car I ran a stock system with a Jacobs coil, a Crane system with a stock dizzy, and a comlete MSD Digital 6 system. Between all three there was no appreciable difference in idle quality, e.t., or mph. That tells me there is not a huge gap in ignition capability among the popular options.

Using the above approach, I've been able to get the 440 in my truck regularly run in mid to high teens for mileage with a carb, 3 spd auto, and 4:11 gears while pulling like a diesel and being an overall low maintanence build.

I think for the first iteration, finding a running drop-in 360 Magnum would be perfect. Probably only slightly less MPG than the 318, and a lot more fun. Thats gonna make a helluva lot more power than my stock 70 A66 340 did, and that car was fun (and heavy!).

I've become a big 'less is more' guy, and the idea ov tuning the hell out ov a plebian combo like a 360/5-speed/highway-geared/small carb/small cam light car actually gets me excited. My A66 70 Challenger i had years ago was a damn fun car... and it was bone-stock and heavy, and i never even got close to tuning it (still had stock exhaust even). I could make a 360 Magnum 5-speed 3000lb Challenger fly...

Further down the road... if the plans dont change (or if i dont find a real job) then i could see building a tight-quench ported-head, higher comp 318 Magnum. At that point maybe i'll have the T56 and i can run some actual gear out back. At that point the car will most certainly be even lighter as well... and that means under 3000lbs.

my buddy had a 318 dakota with a 4 speed auto with some bolt on stuff-headers,pulleys ,computer,no big deal- IT GOT 12 MPG

he also had a longbed 76 dodge with a 440- IT GOT 12 MPG

i have yet to see a computer setup that does an overwhelmingly better job at mpg than carbs.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1286787
08/20/12 05:59 PM
08/20/12 05:59 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

The way i am with scrounging and money i figure that once i get on it, the T56 route will end up costing me a LOT less than 2K all done... especially now that i'm not building a 500HP engine.

I would not bank on that. Core T56's aren't that cheap, nevermind if they need a rebuild or any fresh parts. A decent clutch plus the hydraulic conversion bits are going to cost at least 500 bucks. Then the t56 to mopar bellhousings are in the 500+ dollar range. Then you need a new driveshaft, blah blah blah it all adds up quick. You may end up at 2k but I know for sure I'm budgeting much higher than that. Better to budget high and come back low than the other way around.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #1286788
08/21/12 02:06 AM
08/21/12 02:06 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Online content
Still wishing...
Twostick  Online Content
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
If you are looking for mileage AND performance when mileage isn't the main goal plus cheap, you better become a Thermoquad guy.

Properly set-up they can't be beat. I have a buddy with a 78 Cordoba with a 360 Mag in it. 4000 lbs 3.21 gear on 275/60/15 rubber. Mild cam maybe a step or two up from a "good" stock 340 cam, headers, M1 dual plane and a finessed TQ. Has run 12.90's on slicks and gets 22 mpg highway.

Kevin

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: 360view] #1286789
08/21/12 10:12 AM
08/21/12 10:12 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

In their readership survey of Durango owners about a dozen or more years ago,
Popular Mechanics magazine reported that the owners wrote that the 360 apparently got
0.75 MPG less
than the 318

It is so much easier to get MPG increases
with low rolling resistance tires,
And simple aerodynamic improvements
That those two areas should not be overlooked.

Improving innate engine efficiency is hard...
But getting to a better area of the "island" of best efficiency on the BSFC graph
Is mostly about using a numerically lower differential ratio,
And perhaps selecting a camshaft to match the rpm range of whatever diff ratio you go with.

Thats interesting... and i suspected as much. However... i think the MPG difference would be a bit greater in a much lighter vehicle with optimized gearing. Heavy vehicles/drivetrain and small engines is a good combo for crappy mileage.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Winchester 73] #1286790
08/21/12 10:17 AM
08/21/12 10:17 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

i like this thread!

ill chime in- i dont think a magnum is a necessity for what you are doing and you will lose manifold heat and could hurt mileage,why bothr the added expense of a magnum manifold?you dont need the extra horsepower for a car you desparately want to drive the wheels off?

heres what i would do:

85 closed chamber roller cam 318
swap in a factory magnum cam
swap meet alum manifold
try lots of carbs to see whats best
headers/big exhaust
elec fan
smallest stock pulleys you can find
stock elec dist recurved
working egr system
working hot air to carb system

lockup 904 tranny built strong
2.76 rear end gears

100 shot N O for spirited driving!

I'm not thinking Magnum for the extra power... i can keep the big block if i want that. I want the extra efficiency WITH the power. Old school heads and cams are gonna fail big time in that respect. Never was a fan ov the LA head... not even the revered X-heads. The Magnum has a roller cam.

You lost me on the 904. This is a MANUAL TRANSMISSION CAR. And staying that way. I also need something longer than a 2.76 gear too... with the OD i'd like to finish around 2.0 to 2.2ish.

Heh... and who knows... there might end up being a lil blue bottle hiding behind the seat when its all said and done...

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: bigtail] #1286791
08/21/12 10:20 AM
08/21/12 10:20 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

If you go with a 360 Magnum, be aware that the power steering pump will interfere with the battery tray, unless you get one out of a van. Apparently they mount the pump different in vans. I have a '72 Challenger that has a 360 Magnum/727 in it, and couldn't figure out why the previous people put the battery in the trunk. Then I read a thread about it the power steering issue here, and the dim light bulb came on. Just one more little thing to be aware of.

Whats this 'power steering' thing you are talking about...???

Manual steering, manual brakes, manual windows/locks, 2-speed wipers, manual windshield washer pump for that matter... if i dont end up just removing that too...

This car's gonna have 7 moving parts by the time i'm done with it.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Winchester 73] #1286792
08/21/12 10:22 AM
08/21/12 10:22 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

my buddy had a 318 dakota with a 4 speed auto with some bolt on stuff-headers,pulleys ,computer,no big deal- IT GOT 12 MPG

he also had a longbed 76 dodge with a 440- IT GOT 12 MPG

i have yet to see a computer setup that does an overwhelmingly better job at mpg than carbs.

I have a mechanic friend (a real mechanic, not just a 'parts-installer') thats a Holley guru that would agree with you 100%. I'm still not sold, but i'll concede that if everything is running/tuned perfect, the carb could at least be damn close. There are some pretty damn smart builders/tuners that still dont like EFI... even for MPG.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #1286793
08/21/12 10:26 AM
08/21/12 10:26 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

I would not bank on that. Core T56's aren't that cheap, nevermind if they need a rebuild or any fresh parts. A decent clutch plus the hydraulic conversion bits are going to cost at least 500 bucks. Then the t56 to mopar bellhousings are in the 500+ dollar range. Then you need a new driveshaft, blah blah blah it all adds up quick. You may end up at 2k but I know for sure I'm budgeting much higher than that. Better to budget high and come back low than the other way around.

I'm not a typical Moparts throw money at it kinda guy. I find stuff cheap. I've come across more than a couple T56, from various applications for stupid-cheap... not all were cores (i wont be rebuilding a tranny). The trick scattershield i fully expect to pay for... not getting around that one, but the rest could be hobbled together pretty thrifty-like.

Again... this is not going behind a gnarly big block... a stockish 360 Magnum easily gets by with used parts.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Twostick] #1286794
08/21/12 10:30 AM
08/21/12 10:30 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

If you are looking for mileage AND performance when mileage isn't the main goal plus cheap, you better become a Thermoquad guy.

Properly set-up they can't be beat. I have a buddy with a 78 Cordoba with a 360 Mag in it. 4000 lbs 3.21 gear on 275/60/15 rubber. Mild cam maybe a step or two up from a "good" stock 340 cam, headers, M1 dual plane and a finessed TQ. Has run 12.90's on slicks and gets 22 mpg highway.

Kevin

Yup... i agree, and i'll go you one further... they'll save me a good 5lbs over my Holley too... and weight-reduction is a BIG aspect ov this build.

But... they're weird. Guys that know how to fix 'em and tune 'em are weird. They just look weird. Finding good cores is near-impossible too. I know Holleys pretty well, my friends know anything about Holleys i dont, parts for Holleys fall out ov the sky every Wednesday, and i have good ones kicking around already. Also a billion ways to trick one out too.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1286795
08/21/12 10:49 AM
08/21/12 10:49 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

I have a mechanic friend (a real mechanic, not just a 'parts-installer') thats a Holley guru that would agree with you 100%. I'm still not sold, but i'll concede that if everything is running/tuned perfect, the carb could at least be damn close. There are some pretty damn smart builders/tuners that still dont like EFI... even for MPG.

True. You can get a carb to be within a percent or two of an EFI, and at WOT they do tend to make mroe power than acomparable street injection. However, the big advantage of the efi is its learn on the fly adaptability over a wider range of conditions.

With that said though, I've never wanted to put one on my truck beause the payback over the carb I have tweaked within an inch of its life, is so long it would never really pay for its self in fuel savings.

BTW, the new Street Demon carbs are a bit of a hybrid AFB, Thermoquad design. You can get them with a polymer body, they use AFB rods and jets, they have small primaries with a 3 bbl design for the secondaries. Of course they will cost you some dough over swap meet stuff.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1286796
08/21/12 11:11 AM
08/21/12 11:11 AM
Milwaukee, WI
Prince_Valiant Offline
top fuel
Prince_Valiant  Offline
top fuel

Milwaukee, WI
Quote:

My 87 Diplomat was running a 318 with a 600 cfm Edelbrock carb, MP ignition, A833 and 2.94 SG rear. Got 25 mpg highway regularly, on regular.

Quote:

Our Main Man "dmerc" has been there and done it.

25 plus mpg out of a small block stroker in a Duster.

I got 25mpg in the valiant's first version...1-2 mpg better than the original 318 did.

Basic stuff too...basic 360, basic heads w/ 1.88 valves and 3 angle valve job, MP 268 .455 cam, eddy performer, holley 600, MP ignition, headers through 833 OD manual trans and 2.94 gears. Ran 14.2 in the 1/4 and when driven easily (60-65mph) would pull down terrific mileage.

1979 Dodge Lil' Red Express - 360 rwhp, 13.2 @ 103mph
1968 Coronet: 318, 2.76, 15.2 @ 92mph! (SOLD)
1976 Valiant: 360, 3.90, 12.90 @ 106 (SOLD)
1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3