08/17/12 07:42 AM
08/17/12 07:42 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
I have a 70 Challenger that i want to daily drive. Plans have changed from a gnasty big block 4-speed combo to a very modern small alum V8 EFI/computer controlled concept. Superior power, mileage, driveability, reliability, everything.

Thats all great... NOTHING beats the new stuff when its working right. But after some recent problems with the girlfriend's (again) 96 Mustang GT, and a friends newer car as well, i'm starting to re-think the plan. The Mustang broke today and what would have been a 5 minute diagnosis (possibly even 5 minute fix?) on an older Mopar was instead more ov a 30 minute head-scratcher, and some random smacking with a hammer. To no avail. Hell... had i diagnosed the issue... there'd still be maybe a 5% chance ov me being able to fix it.

I've been stranded by new cars as much as by old cars... the difference is i dont think i have EVER had to tow an old car home or to a shop.

Plans have changed.

My objective: daily driver, fun, as fast as possible (within reason), but more importantly... drivable, and the best possible gas mileage. I need to drive my Challenger daily, and be able to take it across country, just like any modern car... with the least possible financial damage.

It HAS to be a V8. No computers, no EFI. Think carb and distributor with electronic ignition. I want it simple... no... even simpler than simple. My Charger was that simple... and if it wasn't such a complete basketcase from day one it would have been great. I still daily drove it for over 5 years.

Magnum 318/5.2L with 4bbl and MSD + 5 speed stick and moderate gears (3.23ish)?
Magnum 360/5.9L with 4bbl and MSD + 5 speed stick and moderate gears?
Magnum heads on a 273 + the same?
Magnum heads on a 340 + the same?

I dont have money to rebuild/build and engine. It will be a running drop-in. I also dont have a lot ov money for the OD and other fun, but i DO have a complete big block set-up with a lot ov goodies to sell.

I'm not a small block guy, but i'm pretty good with a tune. Another plus is that this car will be pretty damn light for an E-body... likely very close to 3000 with a small block.

Ideas?

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1286758
08/17/12 12:04 PM
08/17/12 12:04 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

well to go with your theme, get rid of the msd box.

go with a points distrubter with a petronix setup instead.

not as much control, but less to fail.

however, I must disagree with your assessment on efi setups.

today there is a much wider range of efi setups than ever before.
there is a post from the fast efi guy detailing all possible failure modes and what is likely or not likely to die.

I have converted mine to efi and been running it for 3 years now, others probably longer on more primitive systems.

the only thing that had died on me is the fuel pump, and that was due to poor mounting location.
since mine is one you have to tune, yes I find myself tweaking things still, but with the 3 or 4 self tuning systems out there, you don't even have to play that game anymore.

now it isn't 10 or 15 years old yet like the mustang you are talking about. But lets get real.
15 year old cars don't run like a dream. somethings need to be replaced periodically.

don't know what actual issue you saw, but take a step back and remember what you had to do to your old car to keep it on the road.
what spare parts did you have in it so you could get it running and drive away?

diagnosing a non running condition is the same today as it was 40 years ago.
spark, air and fuel are still needed.
how they get there is a little different, but people forget it is still the same things to look for.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Andrewh] #1286759
08/17/12 12:28 PM
08/17/12 12:28 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
My 87 Diplomat was running a 318 with a 600 cfm Edelbrock carb, MP ignition, A833 and 2.94 SG rear. Got 25 mpg highway regularly, on regular.

No skinny tires though, which might have bumped the mileage a bit. Dead reliable, cheap and easy to fix.

A benchmark, FWIW.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1286760
08/17/12 12:33 PM
08/17/12 12:33 PM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
Our Main Man "dmerc" has been there and done it.

25 plus mpg out of a small block stroker in a Duster. Lots of details and excellent reading in this thread:

Dmerc's project, link 1

Dmerc's project, link 2.

*edit* Dare ya to bump a three-year old thread!!!!!!!!!!

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Andrewh] #1286761
08/17/12 12:40 PM
08/17/12 12:40 PM
Texas
C
ChristianCuda Offline
ChristianCuda  Offline
C

Texas
Quote:

I say keep the MSD but keep a stock box and wiring also there as a backup. When I used my Cuda as a daily driver I had the MSD and if somthing happened all I had to do was switch the wiring on the distributor from teh msd to the stock box and plug the stock box plug into the stock box and drive away. I know some people that keep spare ballast resistors and stock boxes as well in the glove box.

No matter what you make sure you have an upgraded voltage regulator in there.

As far as stock FI it's already been said spark, fuel and air is all thats needed and one of them will never change and thats air unless you want to use forced induction.

Of your combos the 318 will probably yield the best mpg but for a little less (not much at all) the 5.9 combo will give you a little more fun.

If you went stock Magnum with the PCM and all the FI setup I have been reading on the SCT tuners which work real good according to some members here to diagnose the issues and retune for best possible performance and economy.

just my 2cents

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: ChristianCuda] #1286762
08/17/12 12:48 PM
08/17/12 12:48 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=5#Post3944014

Heres an older thread... probably should be in the tech archives by now

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1286763
08/17/12 09:59 PM
08/17/12 09:59 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
318 Maggie. When I bought my 92 D150 new it got 26MPG imperial (20 US). all stock 318 magnum, 518, 3.55 gears, no aerodynamics. So I think the smaller cubes in the light and slippery Challenger is the way to go, that and a Thermoquad carb, I'd keep the MSD but maybe keep a spare, known Mopar ECU from pick a part beside it.
BTW, I've thought about a 273 Magnum as well, it could be a cool way to go, especially if you lighten the Challenger a bit.

Sheldon

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: RUNCHARGER] #1286764
08/17/12 11:12 PM
08/17/12 11:12 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
318 magnum will work, though I would want the block milled or new pistons for quench. Not sure how far 318 mag pistons sit in the hole but I'm betting it's past quench depth. 9:1 compression, reuse the stock cam/valvetrain, magnum manifolds or headers, LA spreadbore intake redrilled for magnum heads. I would get something in aluminum but similar to a stock intake, like a performer intake. A wideband o2 sensor would be a definite asset for tuning.

Do you have the 5-speed yet? Sounds to me like that 5-sp stick would set you back some decent coin. If the budget dictates, I guess you could go with a 904 with a 2.76 gear, or build it like a diplomat with a 2.21 gear or a A500 trans with something like a 3.55 gear.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Andrewh] #1286765
08/18/12 08:16 AM
08/18/12 08:16 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

however, I must disagree with your assessment on efi setups.

today there is a much wider range of efi setups than ever before.
there is a post from the fast efi guy detailing all possible failure modes and what is likely or not likely to die.

I have converted mine to efi and been running it for 3 years now, others probably longer on more primitive systems.

the only thing that had died on me is the fuel pump, and that was due to poor mounting location.
since mine is one you have to tune, yes I find myself tweaking things still, but with the 3 or 4 self tuning systems out there, you don't even have to play that game anymore.

now it isn't 10 or 15 years old yet like the mustang you are talking about. But lets get real.
15 year old cars don't run like a dream. somethings need to be replaced periodically.

don't know what actual issue you saw, but take a step back and remember what you had to do to your old car to keep it on the road.
what spare parts did you have in it so you could get it running and drive away?

diagnosing a non running condition is the same today as it was 40 years ago.
spark, air and fuel are still needed.
how they get there is a little different, but people forget it is still the same things to look for.

Voodoo aside, the number one problem with EFI is the price. There are some nice bolt-on systems coming out now, but they are far beyond my budget. Besides... while they might be touted as 'simple', they are not roadside fix simple. I can fix a carb, an electric ign system, etc with cheap, junkyard or parts-store parts. EFI... not so much.

As far as living with the old stuff... i had three primary problems with my last two old daily drivers (spanning a decade), one... both were already very beat cars, so stuff was going to happen, and two i wasn't in love with either ov them and didnt want to spend the money they needed, and three... the big one... MILEAGE. I couldn't drive them anywhere.

My Charger... basketcase that it was, only needed its 'roadside kit' (ECU, ballast, jump wire, starter relay, plugs... LOTS ov spare plugs..., coil, spare wires, etc.). I trusted that heap to go anywhere. The other one was a 71 Fury, bone stock, and in 5 years ov driving all over the damn map i lost a fuel pump once, and some very old points went on me once. Thats it. My 68 Caddy...??? Has never once... and i mean not a single time in the 20 years i owned it failed to start for me... until only very recently. And i cannot blame it this time because it has literally been sitting for years and years. It should have died on me in the 90's. As it is, all it needs to start again is a new fuel filter.

Give me a car i LIKE (okay, i love the Caddy, but i cant daily drive it), in better shape, with a good combo and i'll be giddy.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Supercuda] #1286766
08/18/12 08:24 AM
08/18/12 08:24 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

My 87 Diplomat was running a 318 with a 600 cfm Edelbrock carb, MP ignition, A833 and 2.94 SG rear. Got 25 mpg highway regularly, on regular.

No skinny tires though, which might have bumped the mileage a bit. Dead reliable, cheap and easy to fix.

A benchmark, FWIW.

One i keep coming back to as i think about this idea is my 78 Volare. 4dr, 100% survivor-original car with a special-ordered 360, 727 and 8 1/4". I dont know what gears it had (2.7's? 2.4's?) but that thing got crazy mileage. It had 245 and 255's all around too. Bone stock, crappy/super-restricted single exhaust, AirCare tune-up, etc. It wasn't slow, for what it was, had incredible top-end for what it was (ran out ov power not RPM at 130mph), and it was probably 3700lbs as well.

I'm thinking a Magnum 318 has to make as much power as that 78 360 2bbl, a 5-speed stick wont rob nearly as much, and if i could find out what gearing the Volare had i could match it in my 8 3/4" so the 5th came out to the stock Volare's 1:1. That would be a great START...

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Grizzly] #1286767
08/18/12 08:39 AM
08/18/12 08:39 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

Our Main Man "dmerc" has been there and done it.

25 plus mpg out of a small block stroker in a Duster. Lots of details and excellent reading in this thread:

Dmerc's project, link 1

Dmerc's project, link 2.

*edit* Dare ya to bump a three-year old thread!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting...

But i think i'll bump the next link thread that comes up... that ones 5 years old...

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: ChristianCuda] #1286768
08/18/12 08:44 AM
08/18/12 08:44 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

Quote:

I say keep the MSD but keep a stock box and wiring also there as a backup. When I used my Cuda as a daily driver I had the MSD and if somthing happened all I had to do was switch the wiring on the distributor from teh msd to the stock box and plug the stock box plug into the stock box and drive away. I know some people that keep spare ballast resistors and stock boxes as well in the glove box.

No matter what you make sure you have an upgraded voltage regulator in there.

As far as stock FI it's already been said spark, fuel and air is all thats needed and one of them will never change and thats air unless you want to use forced induction.

Of your combos the 318 will probably yield the best mpg but for a little less (not much at all) the 5.9 combo will give you a little more fun.

If you went stock Magnum with the PCM and all the FI setup I have been reading on the SCT tuners which work real good according to some members here to diagnose the issues and retune for best possible performance and economy.

just my 2cents

I wonder just how much real-world MPG difference there is between a stock 318 Magnum and a stock 360 Magnum. My friend's 90's Ram with its 5.9L Magnum got horrid MPG, but it was a 3/4 ton, with gears, lift, and probably a bad driver as well. I'm pretty good at squeezing blood from stone MPG-wise, and my car will be a stick, very light and have NO power-robbing options. Very wide tires is pretty much going to be my only big drawback.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: HotRodDave] #1286769
08/18/12 08:51 AM
08/18/12 08:51 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=5#Post3944014

Heres an older thread... probably should be in the tech archives by now

Haha... 5 years old and 18 pages...??? Looks perfect. Definitely going to have to quit my job and sit down and read that very soon...

I was thinking about a 273 Magnum as well... but to put the new heads on the old block you dont get the roller cam. New heads on new block you get 318cid. I'm thinking the efficiency ov the roller likely makes up for the added cubes in MPG.

Heh... then i get real stupid and start thinking about Ford mod motors... I could have 281 cid, 350HP (before modifications), closer to 30MPG, a VERY cheap already bolted-on 5speed, and it would sound goddamn GLORIOUS...

Getting complicated here quickly... stock drop-in Magnums are probably my best bet right now.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: RUNCHARGER] #1286770
08/18/12 08:59 AM
08/18/12 08:59 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

318 Maggie. When I bought my 92 D150 new it got 26MPG imperial (20 US). all stock 318 magnum, 518, 3.55 gears, no aerodynamics. So I think the smaller cubes in the light and slippery Challenger is the way to go, that and a Thermoquad carb, I'd keep the MSD but maybe keep a spare, known Mopar ECU from pick a part beside it.
BTW, I've thought about a 273 Magnum as well, it could be a cool way to go, especially if you lighten the Challenger a bit.

Sheldon

Yeah... too bad there are no roller block 273's...

I'm thinking a 318 or 360 Magnum with an RPM intake, small but very modified Holley (sorry, not a Thermoquad guy...), work ov art exhaust system, 5-speed (does Keisler actually sell that T45 kit yet...???), some 2.97 or 3.23 gears in a lowered 3000lb car could be pretty damn fun. It would HAVE to get better mileage than my bone stock 78 360/727/highway-geared Volare too.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1286771
08/18/12 09:02 AM
08/18/12 09:02 AM
Cruising!
Q
QuickDodge Offline
super stock
QuickDodge  Offline
super stock
Q

Cruising!
If gas mileage is the goal, an E-body isn't the best choice from an aerodynamic perspective. If you want to stay with an older car, a Duster or an early (1964-66) Barracuda are better choices. Both cars have a fastback style roof and both would have a smaller frontal area than an E-body. Of course if one of the Plymouth Arrows from the 70s' could be found that would probaby be an even better choice. (V8's can be swapped into the Arrows) I'd guess one of these smaller cars may be worth 1-3 mpg.

I'm not a Turbo guy, but have read it's possible to use a Turbo to increase mileage and power. The turbo is susposed to reduce pumping losses, thus increasing fuel mileage. A turbo charged 273 might be a good combination for power and economy. I don't know if a turbo can be sized and set up for economy without EFI.

The thread on the 29 mpg Barracuda shows what can be done using a lean mixture. I've read that turbo charged engines do NOT like lean mixtures. So I don't know what would have happened if a turbo would have been added to Dave's high mileage Barracuda that had a carb on it. Could a carb supply a lean enough mixture for mpg at cruise speed and transtion to a rich mixture quickly enough when the throttle is opened? Or for that matter, is it even possible to run a turbo charged engine with a real lean mixture at cruise speed without detonation problems?

Last edited by QuickDodge; 08/18/12 09:07 AM.
Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #1286772
08/18/12 09:06 AM
08/18/12 09:06 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

318 magnum will work, though I would want the block milled or new pistons for quench. Not sure how far 318 mag pistons sit in the hole but I'm betting it's past quench depth. 9:1 compression, reuse the stock cam/valvetrain, magnum manifolds or headers, LA spreadbore intake redrilled for magnum heads. I would get something in aluminum but similar to a stock intake, like a performer intake. A wideband o2 sensor would be a definite asset for tuning.

Do you have the 5-speed yet? Sounds to me like that 5-sp stick would set you back some decent coin. If the budget dictates, I guess you could go with a 904 with a 2.76 gear, or build it like a diplomat with a 2.21 gear or a A500 trans with something like a 3.55 gear.

No coin for a rebuild, or even a take-down/freshening. It'll be a junkyard gamble like everything else i've built. I was hoping the stock Magnums HAD quench... but i guess not huh?

I also dont like stock intakes, or stock-like intakes. I'd love a Street Dominator like the big block one... but i dont think the SB one is the same? So RPM it is. They bolt right on too.

As for the stick... i'll walk or drive a Vespa before i ever put an automatic in a muscle car again. That is the very reason why i've not daily driven one for years... all mine were autos. NEVER again! I dont care if it ran 10's and got 35MPG.

The Keisler T45 kits were pretty cheap, IF they ever made it to market. Possibly a junkyard set-up with adaptor? not sure yet... but there are ways to NOT spend 4K on an OD stick these days...

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: QuickDodge] #1286773
08/18/12 09:09 AM
08/18/12 09:09 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

If gas mileage is the goal, an E-body isn't the best choice from an aerodynamic perspective. If you want to stay with an older car, a Duster or an early (1964-66) Barracuda are better choices. Both cars have a fastback style roof and both would have a smaller frontal area than an E-body. Of course if one of the Plymouth Arrows from the 70s' could be found that would probaby be an even better choice. (V8's can be swapped into the Arrows) I'd guess one of these smaller cars may be worth 1-3 mpg.

I'm not a Turbo guy, but have read it's possible to use a Turbo to increase mileage and power. The turbo is susposed to reduce pumping losses, thus increasing fuel mileage. A turbo charged 273 might be a good combination for power and economy. I don't know if a turbo can be sized and set up for economy without EFI.

The thread on the 29 mpg Barracuda shows what can be done using a lean mixture. I've read that turbo charged engines do NOT like lean mixtures. So I don't know what would have happened if a turbo would have been added to Dave's high mileage Barracuda that had a carb on it. Could a carb supply a lean enough mixture for mpg at cruise speed and transtion to a rich mixture quickly enough when the throttle is opened?

I already own my dream car, i want to drive it. If i had to sell my Challenger to get better mileage in a fun (but uglier) car i'd just buy a 99 Cobra.

Also not sold on turbos, for power or mileage. I'm more ov a simple N/A guy. Turbos are complicating matter again. Interesting idea though.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1286774
08/18/12 12:18 PM
08/18/12 12:18 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
My son has a SB Dominator on his 318, I'm not impressed with it at all. I would run a stock intake before one of those.
A turbo is a cool idea for mileage but the idea would be to run small cubes (273 again) with the turbo to maximize mileage. Maybe a 273, with 80 318 heads and a turbo off a Cummins. Run a propane system from Pick a Part with a Holley 1850 baseplate.
BTW my kid and I picked up a complete NV 3500 5 speed out of a Dakota along with the hyd clutch, flywheel etc. from pick a part for under $200. No the ratios aren't optimal but it is a cheap way to get into a 5 spoeed that actually bolts up to a small block, his is going behind a 360 into the 240Z project.

Sheldon

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: RUNCHARGER] #1286775
08/19/12 10:38 AM
08/19/12 10:38 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

My son has a SB Dominator on his 318, I'm not impressed with it at all. I would run a stock intake before one of those.
A turbo is a cool idea for mileage but the idea would be to run small cubes (273 again) with the turbo to maximize mileage. Maybe a 273, with 80 318 heads and a turbo off a Cummins. Run a propane system from Pick a Part with a Holley 1850 baseplate.
BTW my kid and I picked up a complete NV 3500 5 speed out of a Dakota along with the hyd clutch, flywheel etc. from pick a part for under $200. No the ratios aren't optimal but it is a cheap way to get into a 5 spoeed that actually bolts up to a small block, his is going behind a 360 into the 240Z project.

Sheldon

Yeah, i've heard that about the small block ones. They definitely got it right for the big block ones though... i love that design.

As for the truck 5-speed. I inquired about those to anyone i could find years ago when i saw a conversion bellhousing in some catalog (for big block). I thought the exact same thing... cheap 5 speed OD. No one could tell me anything about them, save for a couple guys that just said it wouldn't be good in a car. One said it was "notchy"... whatever the hell that means.

How is it not optimal? i'm guessing you've done your homework on it.

Re: BEST possible MPG from non-EFI/computer combo? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1286776
08/19/12 03:53 PM
08/19/12 03:53 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Torque.

Torque production is a direct reflection of volumetric efficiency. Volumetric effciency is making the most power for a given fuel consumption.

Then engine combo that makes the most torque over the broadest range will produce the most mileage while being the most fun to drive in the lowest rpm range which will allow it to live the longest life.

Certainly smaller displacments use less fuel than larger discplaments, but I would not build a 273 over a 360 for that single point. Also, there is a sweet spot for piston speeds that can be demonstrated in a pumping efficiencies map. Compression is a big factor as well since the more you squeeze the charge, the more power you get from it, the less displacement you need because you're using the fuel more completely. Combine that with swirl and squish and you can get a lot of thermal efficiencies out of a gas engine.

Back to your personal combo...

I'd go 5.2 or 5.9 if they are readily available. If I had to choose, I'd go 360 first with some high swirl heads and as much compression as you're wlling to live with because it is a large torque engine. 650 AFB carb. These are easy to tune and you can really dial in the cruise and power circuits without a lot of trouble. Parts are readily available across the country. Ignition, maybe a stock dizzy with a a chrome box to reduce failure liability, and a decent coil. Simple, effective. small tube headers with dual exhaust and a manual trans of your choice.

Personal note on ignition-in my drag car I ran a stock system with a Jacobs coil, a Crane system with a stock dizzy, and a comlete MSD Digital 6 system. Between all three there was no appreciable difference in idle quality, e.t., or mph. That tells me there is not a huge gap in ignition capability among the popular options.

Using the above approach, I've been able to get the 440 in my truck regularly run in mid to high teens for mileage with a carb, 3 spd auto, and 4:11 gears while pulling like a diesel and being an overall low maintanence build.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3