Print Thread
clutch sticking to the flywheel help!!! #1284133
08/12/12 05:49 PM
08/12/12 05:49 PM
S
skelator Offline OP
skelator  Offline OP
S

im having issues shifting the car when the engine is runnning. its to the point where its unshiftable with the engine running.

well i had my girlfriend work the clutch pedal while i tried to move the clutch underneith. i was correct in that somehow the disc is sticking to the flywheel. no matter how much run the nut back it dosent seperate. there is movement in the stuff before the disc but the disc isnt really moving at all. i tried to pry it off with a screwdriver but no go on that.

it was working fine after the inital adjustment and i drove prolly 250 miles before it got impossible to shift with the engine running. any idea what i should do? i called the guy i had rebuild the tranny years ago and he thinks maybe the input shaft bearing is smoked. ill change it out but i dont wanna go through all this crap if it isnt going to work. also after confirming the disc is stuck the bearing theory dosent really fit anymore does it?

Re: clutch sticking to the flywheel help!!! [Re: skelator] #1284134
08/12/12 06:00 PM
08/12/12 06:00 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

im having issues shifting the car when the engine is runnning. its to the point where its unshiftable with the engine running.

well i had my girlfriend work the clutch pedal while i tried to move the clutch underneith. i was correct in that somehow the disc is sticking to the flywheel. no matter how much run the nut back it dosent seperate. there is movement in the stuff before the disc but the disc isnt really moving at all. i tried to pry it off with a screwdriver but no go on that.

it was working fine after the inital adjustment and i drove prolly 250 miles before it got impossible to shift with the engine running. any idea what i should do? i called the guy i had rebuild the tranny years ago and he thinks maybe the input shaft bearing is smoked. ill change it out but i dont wanna go through all this crap if it isnt going to work. also after confirming the disc is stuck the bearing theory dosent really fit anymore does it?

This is fairly common with cars that sit around for long periods of time. Try "shocking" the disc first by slipping your off the clutch and letting the spring action of the pressure plate shock the disc.

If that doesnt work and you have an access cover on the bottom of the bell take the cover off and with someone pressing on the clutch work a thin putty blade like the drywall guys use and slide it between the flywheel and the disc. Rotate the crank around and repeat the process till it frees up. If you have a Lakewood bell then you will probably have to take it all apart..

MB

Re: clutch sticking to the flywheel help!!! [Re: skelator] #1284135
08/12/12 06:04 PM
08/12/12 06:04 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA

If you didn't lightly lube the input shaft splines, the disc might be rusted to the shaft...unable to move for/aft it will stay up against the flywheel surface and spin with the flywheel even with the pressure plate released. If you can't pry it loose with the pedal depressed, you'll have to pull the trans.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: clutch sticking to the flywheel help!!! [Re: John_Kunkel] #1284136
08/12/12 09:30 PM
08/12/12 09:30 PM
S
skelator Offline OP
skelator  Offline OP
S

thank you for the replies.

honestly i dont recall if we lubed the splines or not.

i got the car up on stands and i investigated it further. it appears my 200 mile engine is leaking at the rear of the oil pan. there was oil pretty much everywhere underneith. the tranny, the clutch fork is soaked as is the boot and the front of the tranny (area where the t.o. bearing is. could motor oil be causing this problem?

i should note that the car will drive if i put it in gear then start it. the disc will break free it shifts decent when im moving it seems.

i would like to fix it correctly but pinpointing the issue is the tough one. i dont mind pulling the tranny if i have to but i wanna make sure whatever i do actually fixes the problem.

Re: clutch sticking to the flywheel help!!! [Re: skelator] #1284137
08/12/12 10:10 PM
08/12/12 10:10 PM
Ambridge, Pa.
R
rickraw Offline
top fuel
rickraw  Offline
top fuel
R

Ambridge, Pa.
i would remove everything. fix the leak. check out pilot bearing, input splines, disc splines, t-o bearing. in otherwords, everything.

Re: clutch sticking to the flywheel help!!! [Re: rickraw] #1284138
08/13/12 12:02 AM
08/13/12 12:02 AM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
When you depress the clutch peddle the pressure plate releases pressure from the disc. It doesn't matter if the disc is stuck to the flywheel or the pressure plate , [ only one ] it still releases and the disc from one side and you should still be able to shift. I think you don't have the correct peddle adjustment to release it properly.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: clutch sticking to the flywheel help!!! [Re: rowin4] #1284139
08/13/12 12:19 AM
08/13/12 12:19 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

When you depress the clutch peddle the pressure plate releases pressure from the disc. It doesn't matter if the disc is stuck to the flywheel or the pressure plate , [ only one ] it still releases and the disc from one side and you should still be able to shift. I think you don't have the correct peddle adjustment to release it properly.

??

If the disc is stuck to the flywheel( or pressure plate), you will never be able to get it in gear. Once the pedal is depressed, the disc HAS to float, otherwise the input shaft will spin with the engine. Think about it..

MB