07/27/12 01:51 PM
07/27/12 01:51 PM
Virginia Beach, Va
wtucker Offline OP
enthusiast
wtucker  Offline OP
enthusiast

Virginia Beach, Va
I think my kickdown needs adjusted a little, It shifts up and down as it should when driving normally. But when you kick it down it doesn't seem like it shifts down to 1st or 2nd like it should. I have a lokar setup and its setup per instructions and has free range of movement. I'm wondering if my trans lever is the right one. The transmission is not original to the car.

Re: not down shifting at WOT [Re: wtucker] #1274963
07/27/12 02:21 PM
07/27/12 02:21 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Assuming you don't have a part throttle kickdown setup you usually have to pretty much mat the pedal to get it to downshift.

Have an assistant hold the gas pedal to the floor for you. Crawl underneath and look at the TP lever on the tranny. Disconnect the cable and make sure that the lever has no motion left WOT. If there is any free motion left, adjust your cable. Check to make sure it doesn't bind/interfere with WOT afterwards.

Last edited by GTX MATT; 07/27/12 02:22 PM.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: not down shifting at WOT [Re: wtucker] #1274964
07/27/12 03:02 PM
07/27/12 03:02 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

I think my kickdown needs adjusted a little, It shifts up and down as it should when driving normally. But when you kick it down it doesn't seem like it shifts down to 1st or 2nd like it should. I have a lokar setup and its setup per instructions and has free range of movement. I'm wondering if my trans lever is the right one. The transmission is not original to the car.

First problem is your choice of aftermarket throttle pressure linkage .

The torqueflite isn't going to downshift into first till you are almost at, or till you come to, a complete stop, it's very hard on the overrunning clutch if it does.

Re: not down shifting at WOT [Re: wtucker] #1274965
07/27/12 05:26 PM
07/27/12 05:26 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Quote:

I'm wondering if my trans lever is the right one.

Very few levers are "correct" for the Lokar.

You need to measure the full travel of the carb lever where the cable attaches and then measure the full travel of the transmission lever where the cable attaches; it usually won't be the same so you need to drill a new hole in the transmission lever so that the full travel of both levers is the same.

There should also be a spring pulling the transmission lever forward.

Also, be sure that WOT under the hood is the same as WOT at the pedal...misadjusted throttle linkage will prevent the carb from going wide open when the pedal is matted and that, in turn, will prevent the trans lever from going back enough to force kickdown.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway