07/08/12 05:15 PM
07/08/12 05:15 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline OP
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline OP
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
I am getting ready to purchase interior finishes for my car but I have a bit of a twist. My dash frame is painted the interior satin (velvet???) burnt orange, as is the steering column. The steel side panels are painted in the external FK5 burnt metallic orange. I need to re-dye all the interior plastic including console, kick panels, windlace, dash pad and sun visors and arm rests to match. I also need to paint the steering column rim blow wheel adapter, ash tray, upper windshield rim, and package tray with the velvet FK 5. The guy I bought the car from says that SEM was used on the dash and headliner. I went to my local jobber and they said that SEM doesn't mix custom or stock factory paint. It would be no big deal if I didn't have to paint the rimblow column adapter, but I do.

Question. What product should I use to dye all the vinyl, plastic and rubber to match the interior panels I'll be purchasing from Legendary? What should I use on the steel parts and package tray?

I will add that the dash looks dead nuts on with factory color wise.

I’m listening.
Re: Best Product/Method Interior Paint and Dye [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1264285
07/08/12 11:14 PM
07/08/12 11:14 PM
Mid Michigan
C
Coronet-R/T-Rag Offline
enthusiast
Coronet-R/T-Rag  Offline
enthusiast
C

Mid Michigan
I was going to suggest SEM until I read your post. I used it in my boat with excellent results. It stinks that they don't do custom tints. I don't know if you've already done this but I'd start calling automotive paint stores (Finishmaster, Etc) and see if they have any ideas. Definately a die over a paint.

Re: Best Product/Method Interior Paint and Dye [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1264286
07/09/12 02:30 AM
07/09/12 02:30 AM
Oregon
KillerCuda Offline
enthusiast
KillerCuda  Offline
enthusiast

Oregon
sem products all the way, i used it on metal and plastic in my cuda, worked great. the prep makes all the difference......

as far as a match, i found a local detailer that buys sem products in bulk, and he custom mixes colors on the spot. try some local detail shops?

Re: Best Product/Method Interior Paint and Dye [Re: KillerCuda] #1264287
07/09/12 11:16 AM
07/09/12 11:16 AM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline OP
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline OP
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
Quote:

sem products all the way, i used it on metal and plastic in my cuda, worked great. the prep makes all the difference......

as far as a match, i found a local detailer that buys sem products in bulk, and he custom mixes colors on the spot. try some local detail shops?

See, I was expecting that SEM had a process like this because the guy I bought this car from swears it was shot with SEM. The work was done 4 years ago and I may have to call that shop and jog their memory. The shop in spokane I have been getting my supplies from has a product they use on vinyl and plastic called Specialty Coatings. They said they could match the color on the panels and trim. As far as the metal parts go, I am still looking for answers. I'll have to call around to the competitors.

I’m listening.