S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Quote:

I converted to a roller in a street car around 1994. The reason was that I wiped out three MP cams during a short period. I have used dozens of different cams since then in different build ups. In my opinion, there isn't an absolute truth here. There really is a reason why the OEM manufacturers use rollers nowadays too, it just makes more power than a similar flat tappet. It also accepts way more aggressive grinds, which requires and can use way stiffer valve springs etc. That of course stresses the other valvetrain components alot more than a flat tappet will ever do. However, a similar flat tappet would kill everything + itself there immediately. In a race car with frequent checking and maintenance, I would say go for it. And with an aggressive race grind. In a streeter, if you pick a "street roller" that doesn't require extreme spring pressures etc., I would say that the relaibility is at least as good as with a flat tappet, but the manners and power better. The real question is, that is the advantage for you worth the 1000$ or so you have to spend upgrading?

What I understood for the switch to roller cams by the OE's was that in the mid 70's when Catalytic converters and unleaded gas became the norm in the US, the converters started getting contaminated by the zinc and other oil additives that promoted better wear on bearing surfaces. When they started cutting the zinc in the oils to save the converters the cams and lifters started failing. I remember a rash of bad cam and lifter failures in a lot of 305 Chevy's in the early 80's that may have been partially due to this. So to get around the loss of wear additives, the OEs switched to rollers.

Re: roller vs mechanical flat tappet cam? [Re: Crizila] #1260973
07/04/12 05:24 PM
07/04/12 05:24 PM
acworth / N. georgia - south e...
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

acworth / N. georgia - south e...
Quote:

I think we are kinda saying the same thing here re the emission thing - although a part of it was to cut friction losses. Extended oil changes came about by mostly better oil ( synthetic in particular ).

to a large degree roller cams greatly reduce shear forces on oil...the rings and flat tappit camshaft contribute to most to oil break down..
think of oil like a mass or volume consisting of grapes...thousands of grapes together forming a liquid.sort of like an oil pan full of ball bearings...
the shear effect in a cam wiping across the lobe or rings scraping up and down the cyl walls break open the grapes...however areas like roller bearings and crank and cam bearings dont break the protective coating of the grape...
a grape being a oil molecule...with a outer shell.
once the shell breaks ...the lubrocity goes with it..
thats over simplified but a way to visualise it..
if you dont break the grapes/oil molecule..then it lasts longer...fwiw....but again ive digress from the OPs topic.

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: roller vs mechanical flat tappet cam? [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #1260974
07/04/12 07:48 PM
07/04/12 07:48 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Thanks, but I didn't really need an explaination of why a roller is better than a flat tappet cam. point is, if your application can't utilize the extra area under the curve, it's a waste of $. Yes, there is a point of no return in regards to aggressive lobe ramps, and it applies to roller cams also. With flat tappet cams, that point is usually determined by the lifter diameter. With rollers, the point is usually determined by how strong you can make the rest of the valve train. I still contend that if you are running a cam under .650 lift, the negatives to running a roller outweigh the positives. You pays yo money and you takes yo chances.

Fastest 300
Re: roller vs mechanical flat tappet cam? [Re: Crizila] #1260975
07/05/12 03:28 AM
07/05/12 03:28 AM
Finalnd, Perkele
J
jyrki Offline
master
jyrki  Offline
master
J

Finalnd, Perkele
for me, running a flat tappet gave three negatives in one summer, wiped out cams and the consenquences. After that rollers in my own use, some occasional harm either from own stupidity or from the parts getting tired. I think I have hade maybe ten lifter failures, a couple from wearing out and some others loosing pushrods etc. The cams may have gotten some scars, but nothing you can't fix yourslef. Some rocker failures too, the aluminum ones get tired if you stress them and break after a lot of cycles, just like aluminum rods. Our stuff has been relatively low rpm, so the weight is not a huge factor. Although the current one has a red line of 7700, it has been together for three summers without problems. Forgot a couple of hurt valvepsrings during this time, but since switching to endurance springs, there hasn't been any problems. In an old Hot Rod magazine they compared similar grinds on hyd flat tappet, solid flat tappet and roller designs. The roller won clearly, they produced a broader tq curve. And that's also the reason the OEM went with rollers; while having the cam adv. degrees low to meet emissions, you still get more area under the curve and retain, or increase the performance. Like I wrote before, there is an advantage, but is it worth the 1000 or so in your case is the hard question. You might spend it elsewhere for even bigger advantage. My next engine, a 340 W2, will most likely use a flat tappet because it's a budget build. We'll see wether the decision is right or wrong.

Plynouth VIP '67 TT IC EFI
Re: roller vs mechanical flat tappet cam? [Re: jyrki] #1260976
07/05/12 10:20 AM
07/05/12 10:20 AM
A
A57_RT Offline
Parts Problem
A57_RT  Offline
Parts Problem
A

One set of these and you will never buy another set of solid lifters again and never eat a lobe.

These SM are the heavy ones at 73 grams vs a std old 828 comp at 88 grams and then the pig comp lightweight edm-s at 101 grams, just right with a johnson hylift hydro.

I use modest springs, middle of the road rockers, .116 walled pushrods and bang these to 7600 over and over.

As I posted one set is going on 4 flawless years in a street/strip car with comp rockers,springs and they are on there 5th camshaft.

So there are some flawless solid cam setups in use.

The only thing ive seen with these lifters is if you get near .700 more the spring pressure needed calls for a roller core with solid lobes, at least thats what the class racers are doing.

7278231-DSC06388[1].JPG (122 downloads)
Re: roller vs mechanical flat tappet cam? [Re: A57_RT ] #1260977
05/31/13 01:09 AM
05/31/13 01:09 AM
new york
68HEMIRR Offline
68HEMIRR  Offline

new york
Quote:

One set of these and you will never buy another set of solid lifters again and never eat a lobe.

These SM are the heavy ones at 73 grams vs a std old 828 comp at 88 grams and then the pig comp lightweight edm-s at 101 grams, just right with a johnson hylift hydro.

I use modest springs, middle of the road rockers, .116 walled pushrods and bang these to 7600 over and over.

As I posted one set is going on 4 flawless years in a street/strip car with comp rockers,springs and they are on there 5th camshaft.

So there are some flawless solid cam setups in use.

The only thing ive seen with these lifters is if you get near .700 more the spring pressure needed calls for a roller core with solid lobes, at least thats what the class racers are doing.

UNTIL THE GLUE SEPARATES AND THE LIFTER FAILS WHICH MINE DID.....700 SPRING PRESSURE I DID AND BLEW OUT 8 LIFTER CUPS.MY STAGE V HEADS WHERE BUILT BY FORHEMISONLY AND HE THOUGHT I HAD A ROLLER CAM....SO FORGET THAT IDEA

Last edited by 68HEMIRR; 06/01/13 10:28 PM.

BORN TO BE WILD
Re: roller vs mechanical flat tappet cam? [Re: carolinacuda] #1260978
05/31/13 04:24 PM
05/31/13 04:24 PM
Johnstown
69dart Offline
pro stock
69dart  Offline
pro stock

Johnstown
If starting from scratch the difference is only a couple hundred bucks. Herbert has good roller lifters, cams and springs. I'll probably never go solid again.

33 Plymouth Roadster - 383 - 5.90 1/8th 9.58 1/4
68 Dart - 340
66 Belvedere - 400

Windy Hollow Garage - https://www.youtube.com/@windyhollowgarage
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3