06/11/12 12:07 PM
06/11/12 12:07 PM
R
Russ H. Offline OP
enthusiast
Russ H.  Offline OP
enthusiast
R

This is a persistant problem,its been to the shop 3 times now and the problem is still present. It seems that the compressor may not be cycling and the evaporator is freezing up. The A/C works fine on short trips but after about 30 minutes of highway dvinging the coolness slowly goes away and the air flow seeems to slow down. So far, the accumulator, expansion valve and compressor have been changed and the system is holding a good charge. What is being overlooked as a potential cause?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: Russ H.] #1249097
06/11/12 12:25 PM
06/11/12 12:25 PM
NEW JERSEY
AARCONV Offline
master
AARCONV  Offline
master

NEW JERSEY
These Jeeps have problems with the blend doors...most likely the heat doors are opening up when they are supposed to be closed allowing hot air to mix in with the cold...feel under the glovebox area to see if the heaterbox is hot to the touch when the Jeep is warmed up good.

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: AARCONV] #1249098
06/11/12 12:48 PM
06/11/12 12:48 PM
R
Russ H. Offline OP
enthusiast
Russ H.  Offline OP
enthusiast
R

Quote:

These Jeeps have problems with the blend doors...most likely the heat doors are opening up when they are supposed to be closed allowing hot air to mix in with the cold...feel under the glovebox area to see if the heaterbox is hot to the touch when the Jeep is warmed up good.

OK, I'll check this but, would the blend door cause the system to freeze up?

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: Russ H.] #1249099
06/11/12 03:03 PM
06/11/12 03:03 PM
Hummelstown, PA
A
AINTNRT Offline
AINTNRT  Offline
A

Hummelstown, PA
1st I'd check the A/C drain to make sure that it isn't blocked, if it's open then it's possible that there is a problem with the orfice tube, which is located in the liquid line near condensor outlet tube.

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: AINTNRT] #1249100
06/11/12 04:25 PM
06/11/12 04:25 PM
R
Russ H. Offline OP
enthusiast
Russ H.  Offline OP
enthusiast
R

Thank you, Drain is clear and the orfice tube was supposed to have been serviced/replaced. Also, when the vehicle is idling, the metal line between the expansion valve and evaporator frosts up and then thaws every few minutes but when the engine speed increases this same line frosts up again and appears to stay frozen until engine returns to idle.

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: Russ H.] #1249101
06/11/12 06:19 PM
06/11/12 06:19 PM
The Pale Blue Dot
Skeptic Offline
master
Skeptic  Offline
master

The Pale Blue Dot
Bad expansion valve, regardless of the age. Easy to see with the gauges. No oriface tube, that's a ford thing. There may be some contamination in the system causing the valve to hang up, or contamination. Use ONLY r-134a, no blends.

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: Skeptic] #1249102
06/12/12 09:06 PM
06/12/12 09:06 PM
Northern OH
R
rapom Offline
top fuel
rapom  Offline
top fuel
R

Northern OH
Overcharging the system can freeze it up. I had the same problem. So I let some out. I haven't had a real hot day to really test it but so far it hasn't seized up.

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: Russ H.] #1249103
06/13/12 02:57 AM
06/13/12 02:57 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

Thank you, Drain is clear and the orfice tube was supposed to have been serviced/replaced. Also, when the vehicle is idling, the metal line between the expansion valve and evaporator frosts up and then thaws every few minutes but when the engine speed increases this same line frosts up again and appears to stay frozen until engine returns to idle.

I dont remember what system your Jeep has as I would have to look it up. But if it is an expansion valve system there is no line between it and the evaporator as the expansion valve bolts right to the evap line at the firewall. Do you mean the condensor and exp valve ? Now if it has an acumulator it would be an orfice system as Mopar does use the orfice system on many of the cars and trucks but not all of them. There may even be a TSB about the evap freezing as I remember a few where we had to flash the PCM as the AC programing was wrong. Sometimes the PCM would even set an AC code because the PCM controlls the compressor cycle. You might call your local Mopar dealer and ask them if there is a TSB about it because I dont remember if your Jeep is one of the ones that the TSB refers too. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 06/13/12 03:02 AM.
Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: Russ H.] #1249104
06/13/12 08:37 AM
06/13/12 08:37 AM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
About the only thing that will cause it to freeze up is -
system is overcharged
system is undercharged
compressor clutch is not cycling
or
theres a blockage in the system

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: Russ H.] #1249105
06/13/12 09:00 AM
06/13/12 09:00 AM
S.W. Pennsylvania
M
markrr Offline
super stock
markrr  Offline
super stock
M

S.W. Pennsylvania
Quote:

the coolness slowly goes away and the air flow seeems to slow down.

Check your fan. Make sure there isn't a problem with the fan. If the fan stops turning, warm air will not flow over the evaporator and the evaporator will freeze.

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: 383man] #1249106
06/13/12 11:34 AM
06/13/12 11:34 AM
R
Russ H. Offline OP
enthusiast
Russ H.  Offline OP
enthusiast
R

Quote:

Quote:

I dont remember what system your Jeep has as I would have to look it up. But if it is an expansion valve system there is no line between it and the evaporator as the expansion valve bolts right to the evap line at the firewall. Do you mean the condensor and exp valve ? Now if it has an acumulator it would be an orfice system as Mopar does use the orfice system on many of the cars and trucks but not all of them. There may even be a TSB about the evap freezing as I remember a few where we had to flash the PCM as the AC programing was wrong. Sometimes the PCM would even set an AC code because the PCM controlls the compressor cycle. You might call your local Mopar dealer and ask them if there is a TSB about it because I dont remember if your Jeep is one of the ones that the TSB refers too. Ron

Thank you for responding, This system has an accumulator and orfice tube. I think the problem is that the compressor is not cycling at higher rpms (highway driving) at idle, you can hear the compressor load up and shut off. At the same time the high pressure line between the orfice tube and evaporator frosts up and then thaws at regular intervals. When the engine speed is advanced to about 2000 RPMs, the frost thaw cycle seems to stop. At this point the bottom line stays frosted and eventually, the accumulator and metal portions of the low pressure lines will frost over. There is a switch on top of the accumulator, does it control the compressor cycling?

Thanks again,

Russ

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: Russ H.] #1249107
06/13/12 11:55 AM
06/13/12 11:55 AM
R
Russ H. Offline OP
enthusiast
Russ H.  Offline OP
enthusiast
R

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you for responding, This system has an accumulator and orfice tube. I think the problem is that the compressor is not cycling at higher rpms (highway driving) at idle, you can hear the compressor load up and shut off. At the same time the high pressure line between the orfice tube and evaporator frosts up and then thaws at regular intervals. When the engine speed is advanced to about 2000 RPMs, the frost thaw cycle seems to stop. At this point the bottom line stays frosted and eventually, the accumulator and metal portions of the low pressure lines will frost over. There is a switch on top of the accumulator, does it control the compressor cycling?

Thanks again,

Russ

Also, I called local Jeep Service Department about the TSB. They said there is none issued for the A/C system that would apply to my problem.

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: Russ H.] #1249108
06/17/12 01:12 PM
06/17/12 01:12 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
That is true as I looked at the TSB's also. I remember some of our cars had a TSB for evap freezing at highway speeds and the fix was a PCM flash to reprogram the clutch cycle at highway speeds. But it does not apply to your vehicle. Usually on orfice systems if it is low on freezon you will see a line under the hood freezing up also. Its the line right after the orvice valve tube. The switch on the accumulator is a cycle switch but it may have another also. If it cools good and cycle's fine at low speeds you might try replace the pressure cycle switch on the accumulator. Ron

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: 383man] #1249109
06/18/12 01:24 PM
06/18/12 01:24 PM
R
Russ H. Offline OP
enthusiast
Russ H.  Offline OP
enthusiast
R

Quote:

That is true as I looked at the TSB's also. I remember some of our cars had a TSB for evap freezing at highway speeds and the fix was a PCM flash to reprogram the clutch cycle at highway speeds. But it does not apply to your vehicle. Usually on orfice systems if it is low on freezon you will see a line under the hood freezing up also. Its the line right after the orvice valve tube. The switch on the accumulator is a cycle switch but it may have another also. If it cools good and cycle's fine at low speeds you might try replace the pressure cycle switch on the accumulator. Ron

Thank you Ron, We have a new pressure cycle switch ordered from Chrysler, hopfully, this will solve the problem. I'll let you know.

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: Russ H.] #1249110
06/18/12 03:55 PM
06/18/12 03:55 PM
NC
DCM71cuda Offline
pro stock
DCM71cuda  Offline
pro stock

NC
I have an '05 Durango that has a similar problem. After operating the A/C for a while at low fan speeds the air flow drops to almost nothing. From what I recall, the TSB issued for mine involves having to install a resistor and/or diode on the temperature sensor at the coils to keep them from freezing up. I've adopted the poor man solution...which is to either run the fan at higher speeds so that it doesn't freeze, or if I notice the drop in airflow because of freezing, turn the A/C compressor off and it returns to 'normal' pretty quickly.

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: Russ H.] #1249111
06/18/12 09:26 PM
06/18/12 09:26 PM
R
Russ H. Offline OP
enthusiast
Russ H.  Offline OP
enthusiast
R

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you Ron, We have a new pressure cycle switch ordered from Chrysler, hopfully, this will solve the problem. I'll let you know.

Update, The new pressure cycle switch did not solve the problem, it is still freezing at highway speeds. Question, how does one flash the PCM? It may be worth a try, my A/C shop guys are running out of ideas.

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: Russ H.] #1249112
06/19/12 02:18 AM
06/19/12 02:18 AM
Columbus, Ohio
wheelsup68dart Offline
master
wheelsup68dart  Offline
master

Columbus, Ohio
Did you replace the High or low side pressure switch? My gut tells me the High side switch is bad, but for the cost you may replace both.

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport A/C freezing up.....Why? [Re: wheelsup68dart] #1249113
06/19/12 08:45 AM
06/19/12 08:45 AM
R
Russ H. Offline OP
enthusiast
Russ H.  Offline OP
enthusiast
R

Quote:

Did you replace the High or low side pressure switch? My gut tells me the High side switch is bad, but for the cost you may replace both.

The low pressure switch was replaced but not the high side switch. Does the switch on the high pressure side controll the compressor cycling?