Maryland
C
cudaboone Offline OP
enthusiast
cudaboone  Offline OP
enthusiast
C

Maryland
I have a 528 hemi with holley 1050 dominator. MY problem is that below 2200 rpm there is a lot of surging and jumping. When you are above about 2200, it is smooth. Also on hard accelleration it is smooth. It is a 5 speed with 410 rear. It is a pain in the **** when going slow.

Re: SEND ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION-CARB [Re: cudaboone] #1237585
05/22/12 03:07 PM
05/22/12 03:07 PM
Colo Springs, CO
DconD100 Offline
enthusiast
DconD100  Offline
enthusiast

Colo Springs, CO
Could it be a timing issue? Are you running vacuum advance to the distributor? If not, how is the mechanical advance set up?

I have never tuned a dominator, but maybe the low speed air bleeds need to be a bit smaller to richen it up at lower rpms? Is it a 2 circuit or 3 circuit dom?

Sorry, not much help, but I'm sure someone here will have a much better answer...they always do!

Pump Gas Small Blocks Rock! 11.53 @ 116mph E85 408 at 8500 ft da, 3605 pound truck, 3.91s, street driven
Re: SEND ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION-CARB [Re: cudaboone] #1237586
05/22/12 03:20 PM
05/22/12 03:20 PM
Philadelphia
R
radar Offline
top fuel
radar  Offline
top fuel
R

Philadelphia
I never tuned a dominator I know there are two and three circuit styles. I found with my 750dp it ran great on the highway or nailing it but the off idle cruise was horribly fat. Barring a direct suggestion from someone that knows exactly what to do on that carb you are going to need a combination of vacuum gauge, shutdown and read a plug or watch a wideband. That will tell you what circuits on the carb are active and then you can start learning how to lean or richen them up.

On mine the Idle Feed Restriction (IFR) is in the metering block and controls the richness of the emulsified fuel that is metered by the four corner idle screws that then comes out from the round hole below the butterfly, and what comes out of the transfer slot before the main jets kick in. This is the circuit that is feeding the motor with just a little throttle (like most of the time when there's other people in front of me) I don't know how much of that transfers over to the Dommy. You can also attack the problem by adding or removing air with the Low Speed Air Bleeds and High Speed Air Bleeds (LSAB HSAB) but be careful they also delay/speed up when the mains come in.

The vacuum gauge will show you when the power valve if you have one comes in- if it's right you should feel it lean slightly out then pick up when it comes on.

Don't forget the circuits don't turn off they just add to each other so start at idle then off idle then primary jets/PV then secondary jets. You can easily tune for WOT at the track, it takes a lot of tinkering to get it perfect on the street. It shouldn't be too hard to get it acceptable where you don't knock or foul plugs and drivability is decent even if it's not perfect.

Again- no dominator experience here, but I've been forced to learn my way around my holley by the people in my neck of the woods that all seem to go 35 in a 40 and tap their brakes all the time for no reason.

Good Luck
radar

Re: SEND ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION-CARB [Re: radar] #1237587
05/22/12 04:33 PM
05/22/12 04:33 PM
ALBERTA CANADA
C
CUDA8U Offline
super stock
CUDA8U  Offline
super stock
C

ALBERTA CANADA
agreed,set idle mix screws with vac guage for the highest reading,this should be divided by 2,minus 1.5 for power valve size...example 12 on guage divive by 2=6, minus 1.5 is 4.5 power valve

serging could be a float level issue also, buy the clear plugs for floats ,fuel level should be near the bottom edge of the sight plug

also your main jets are suppose to be dropped 1 size for every 2000ft increase in elevation

your timing should be set at 35 degrees advantanced timing with an inductive timing light,unplug vac line from distributor and carb,plug both,rev engine to 3000 rpm and adjust to 35-36 degreees,make a note for future ref. on your initial timing......of course you would set timing before you touch the carb

as soon as its up to operating temp, take it for a good rip and read the plugs (should be cleaned or new before)