05/17/12 09:27 PM
05/17/12 09:27 PM
K
kielbasa Offline OP
enthusiast
kielbasa  Offline OP
enthusiast
K

Hi guys - I would like to install electric fan/fans into my AAR.
Do any "kits" exist that fit good and work fine? I would probably stick with my original radiator. Any experience with the Flex-a-Lite that Year One sells? Good/Bad?
Or is my best bet to just go with an HHR fan?
Thanks for any info!

Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: kielbasa] #1235092
05/18/12 12:02 AM
05/18/12 12:02 AM
North Dakota
Azzkikrcuda Offline
top fuel
Azzkikrcuda  Offline
top fuel

North Dakota
I have had a Ford Taurus fan and Spal PWM fan controller for 5 years. 90's and humid in the summer with no problems. I would go with an OEM fan over an aftermarket. The HHR and Taurus are popular and work good.

7210750-031.JPG (663 downloads)
Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: Azzkikrcuda] #1235093
05/18/12 12:03 AM
05/18/12 12:03 AM
North Dakota
Azzkikrcuda Offline
top fuel
Azzkikrcuda  Offline
top fuel

North Dakota

7210754-033.JPG (470 downloads)
Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: Azzkikrcuda] #1235094
05/18/12 12:09 AM
05/18/12 12:09 AM
NEW JERSEY
AARCONV Offline
master
AARCONV  Offline
master

NEW JERSEY
i have one for years...works great..

Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: Azzkikrcuda] #1235095
05/20/12 05:02 AM
05/20/12 05:02 AM
Lake Elmo, MN
Evil Monkey Offline
enthusiast
Evil Monkey  Offline
enthusiast

Lake Elmo, MN
Quote:

I have had a Ford Taurus fan and Spal PWM fan controller for 5 years. 90's and humid in the summer with no problems. I would go with an OEM fan over an aftermarket. The HHR and Taurus are popular and work good.

Those same fans can also be found in the late 80's thru mid 90's Lincoln Continentals (I think the years were '88 - '94) - that's where mine came from and it's been working great for 7 or 8 years for me. I'm using it with an adjustable Hayden fan controller that I added after a few years of running with no fan controller.

1974 'Cuda 360/TKO 1990 Ram Van 1998 Neon
Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: Evil Monkey] #1235096
05/20/12 12:16 PM
05/20/12 12:16 PM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
For whatever reason the Ford Taurus fans always get mentioned, but the truth is any OEM fan is a good choice:

I have a wimpy Dodge Omni fan in my 2001 Ram 360 (5800 pound vehicle) and it cools it just fine. A set-up that I seen in the local classifieds was a fan out of a Hemi Durango. It had a ceramic temp sensor built right onto the fan housing which eliminates the headache of wiring a controller. He was asking $40 dollars for it and it looked like it was almost new.

For your AAR though, something thin enough that you can hide it inside the factory shroud would be the ticket.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: kielbasa] #1235097
05/20/12 12:21 PM
05/20/12 12:21 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Here's the best deal going.

Mercedes fan

fan controller

It's not the cheapest route but you will NOT have air flow issues.

Here's the fit on a 26" radiator:

How it fits on a unmodified radiator:

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: kielbasa] #1235098
05/20/12 12:47 PM
05/20/12 12:47 PM
Ontario.Canada
C
can.al Offline
pro stock
can.al  Offline
pro stock
C

Ontario.Canada
..are you changing to electric because of a clearance problem?

Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: kielbasa] #1235099
05/20/12 02:07 PM
05/20/12 02:07 PM
Arizona
G
GreenGlow Offline
GreenGlow  Offline
G

Arizona
I use the Ford Taurus 2 speed fan on one car and the Ford contour dual fans on 2 cars. The Taurus fan has done the job perfectly in my 92 Vette with double the factory horsepower for the last 6 years. The Taurus fan is miles better than the factory electric fan so I don't think that all factory electric fans are created equally. I can't really speak for the Ford contour fans yet I just put them in this winter and the cars haven't been driven in really hot weather yet.

Personally I would go with a more common Ford fan you can get them anywhere and you can hot wire them if something goes wrong with your controller or relay. You can't get the mercedes fan at just any junk yard or parts store and if the controler goes to crap you're screwed and on a tow truck. I paid $35 for my Taurus fan and $37.50 for a set of Ford Contour fans. I used the $120 Dakota digitals fan controllers but they can be done with an $8 cube realy from autozone.

Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: GreenGlow] #1235100
05/20/12 03:40 PM
05/20/12 03:40 PM
Graz, Austria
DGS Offline
mopar
DGS  Offline
mopar

Graz, Austria
Quote:

I use the Ford Taurus 2 speed fan on one car and the Ford contour dual fans on 2 cars. The Taurus fan has done the job perfectly in my 92 Vette with double the factory horsepower for the last 6 years. The Taurus fan is miles better than the factory electric fan so I don't think that all factory electric fans are created equally. I can't really speak for the Ford contour fans yet I just put them in this winter and the cars haven't been driven in really hot weather yet.

Personally I would go with a more common Ford fan you can get them anywhere and you can hot wire them if something goes wrong with your controller or relay. You can't get the mercedes fan at just any junk yard or parts store and if the controler goes to crap you're screwed and on a tow truck. I paid $35 for my Taurus fan and $37.50 for a set of Ford Contour fans. I used the $120 Dakota digitals fan controllers but they can be done with an $8 cube realy from autozone.

With the newer version of the Mercedes fan the box can be bypassed so that the fan runs at full speed if the box should go bad. very easy to do.

Last edited by DGS; 05/20/12 03:42 PM.
Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: DGS] #1235101
05/20/12 04:06 PM
05/20/12 04:06 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

With the newer version of the Mercedes fan the box can be bypassed so that the fan runs at full speed if the box should go bad. very easy to do.

Correct.
I ran the newer style Mercedes fan (no heat sink on fan) with no controller at all.
It's the aftermarket and early units with the heat sink that have issues being connected directly to power.

You can keep your cutesy Contour fans. I'll stick with the 500 watt Mercedes unit.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: feets] #1235102
05/20/12 08:55 PM
05/20/12 08:55 PM
Arizona
G
GreenGlow Offline
GreenGlow  Offline
G

Arizona
I'll take "CUTESY" any day of the week over a 50 amp fan that doesn't even fit the core. Unless you think that fan is so powerful that it can pull air through the tank. You should try to find a fan that fits the core you might save yourself 10 amps of draw.

I like my equipment clean and tidy That Mercedes fan install looks like a hack job to me.

Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: kielbasa] #1235103
05/20/12 09:29 PM
05/20/12 09:29 PM
Chicken coop
dustergirl340 Offline
Chicken Little
dustergirl340  Offline
Chicken Little

Chicken coop
HHR fan in our small block Challenger. No hacking of fan required, lots of clearance.

The large engine bay combined with the small block seems to help with air circulation and cooling, as some with big block E-bodies have reported cooling problems with the HHR fan.

But for $40 shipped we couldn't beat the price, and it can always go on our test stand if it doesn't do the job (which it has for the last 2 years).

Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: GreenGlow] #1235104
05/20/12 09:49 PM
05/20/12 09:49 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

I'll take "CUTESY" any day of the week over a 50 amp fan that doesn't even fit the core. Unless you think that fan is so powerful that it can pull air through the tank. You should try to find a fan that fits the core you might save yourself 10 amps of draw.

The Mercedes fan pulled enough air to cool Andrewh's 5.9 Magnum for more than an hour while the fan was laying on the air cleaner and radiator. He laid it up there, unplugged his fan, that thing kept his engine cool.

When running the fan controller the current draw is much lower than you'd think.

Quote:

I like my equipment clean and tidy That Mercedes fan install looks like a hack job to me.

Hello, have you seen my hot rod? You know, that low budget cobbled together thing that has been in two magazines and used as background for a TV show and a rock video?
I wasn't worried about pretty. For me, form follows function. The hot rod isn't a show poodle.

Andrewh has a nice clean install on his car. It runs an aftermarket radiator.

- Stu Harmon
Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: feets] #1235105
05/20/12 11:42 PM
05/20/12 11:42 PM
Arizona
G
GreenGlow Offline
GreenGlow  Offline
G

Arizona
FEETS I should really start ignoring your posts but they are somewhat entertaining on a really strange level. OK great you had 1 car that was in a magazine HOW LONG AGO ? Move on man your 15 minutes of fame are over. Did it have the Mercedes fan on it when it was in the magazine ? is that an E- Body like the OP is asking about ? I personally wouldn't put a car that looked like that on the streets unless it was on my trailer going to my shop to get done right But that's just the way I am.

My 92 Vette was in Corvette enthusiast magazine in July 2005 Sporting it's Ford Taurus fan.

My 72 Challenger was in Mopar Max magazine in May 2010 it's an E-Body and is sporting the Ford Taurus Fan in the magazine. That's the topic of this thread.

My 73 Roadrunner will be in Mopar Max magazine next month and will be on the cover it's sporting the Ford Contour fan in the pictures.

All 4 of my cars are in the beginning stages of being in a rap video. I don't know yet how that will go so I'm not going to say anymore about it.

I know you're involved in the Mercedes fan controller design or sales of it. You should explore proper advertising for your product on cars with radiators that the fan actually fits and looks good. Stop trying to shove it down the throats of everybody that posts an electric fan question.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the fan on the air cleaner thing. You lost me on that one.

None of my cars are " Show Poodles" they get beaten on a regular basis I just keep them clean and maintained.

Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: GreenGlow] #1235106
05/21/12 12:11 AM
05/21/12 12:11 AM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Mine....Can't seem to get it above 150* with the 408 W2 motor. It was purchased to keep my 700hp Hemi cool, but it sure does work really well on the 408.

Becool 19x31 with built in trans cooler:

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: Dragula] #1235107
05/21/12 12:32 AM
05/21/12 12:32 AM
Arizona
G
GreenGlow Offline
GreenGlow  Offline
G

Arizona
Quote:

Mine....Can't seem to get it above 150* with the 408 W2 motor. It was purchased to keep my 700hp Hemi cool, but it sure does work really well on the 408.

Becool 19x31 with built in trans cooler:

Now that's a nice and clean install !!!!!!

Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: GreenGlow] #1235108
05/21/12 12:39 AM
05/21/12 12:39 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

FEETS I should really start ignoring your posts but they are somewhat entertaining on a really strange level. OK great you had 1 car that was in a magazine HOW LONG AGO ? Move on man your 15 minutes of fame are over. Did it have the Mercedes fan on it when it was in the magazine ? is that an E- Body like the OP is asking about ? I personally wouldn't put a car that looked like that on the streets unless it was on my trailer going to my shop to get done right But that's just the way I am.

My 92 Vette was in Corvette enthusiast magazine in July 2005 Sporting it's Ford Taurus fan.

My 72 Challenger was in Mopar Max magazine in May 2010 it's an E-Body and is sporting the Ford Taurus Fan in the magazine. That's the topic of this thread.

My 73 Roadrunner will be in Mopar Max magazine next month and will be on the cover it's sporting the Ford Contour fan in the pictures.

All 4 of my cars are in the beginning stages of being in a rap video. I don't know yet how that will go so I'm not going to say anymore about it.

I know you're involved in the Mercedes fan controller design or sales of it. You should explore proper advertising for your product on cars with radiators that the fan actually fits and looks good. Stop trying to shove it down the throats of everybody that posts an electric fan question.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the fan on the air cleaner thing. You lost me on that one.

None of my cars are " Show Poodles" they get beaten on a regular basis I just keep them clean and maintained.

Whoa there Greenglow. The pictures you posted has a different radiator than the one feets posted, so obviously, the mercedes fan may not fit your radiator as well as others. The first picture feets posted hardly looks 'hacked' to me.

And for the record, Feets helped with the ideas behind the design of the controller, but otherwise he's not involved with it. No royalties either

At one point Andrew put the fan on top of his engine, resting between the rad support and the air cleaner. It still pulled enough air through to keep it cool at idle.

I really need to make some current measurements at different fan speeds Now that I think I figured out my cooling 'issue' (gauge reads 10* high ), I haven't seen it go over 40%.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: hooziewhatsit] #1235109
05/21/12 02:16 AM
05/21/12 02:16 AM
Arizona
G
GreenGlow Offline
GreenGlow  Offline
G

Arizona
Quote:

Quote:

Whoa there Greenglow. The pictures you posted has a different radiator than the one feets posted, so obviously, the mercedes fan may not fit your radiator as well as others. The first picture feets posted hardly looks 'hacked' to me.

And for the record, Feets helped with the ideas behind the design of the controller, but otherwise he's not involved with it. No royalties either

At one point Andrew put the fan on top of his engine, resting between the rad support and the air cleaner. It still pulled enough air through to keep it cool at idle.

I really need to make some current measurements at different fan speeds Now that I think I figured out my cooling 'issue' (gauge reads 10* high ), I haven't seen it go over 40%.

The fan in feets picture doesn't look hacked to you ???? talk about easy to please !! The only thing that setup is missing is some duct tape and maybe a Coors lite beer can for a wire loom and it would be in the hillbilly hall of fame.

The radiator/fan fitment I was referring to was based on the picture FEETS posted. I know my radiator isn't the stock radiator but it is a stock replacement sized radiator from Champion that bolts into my stock radiator support and will accept a stock fan shroud if I used one. So what's so different about the radiators ? I it the aluminum material that it's made of that would make the fan look like it's too big with the fan blade coming up to the top of the radiator tank? I don't have a reason to try a Mercedes fan on my cars the Taurus fans are working just fine. I will have an answer in a couple months on the Contour fans after it gets over 100 degrees here and I can prove they work. Again as the OP asked in the title of this thread.

I was just trying to answer the OP's question "
Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos " But once again FEETS tried to turn it into a pi$$ing match so he could show off his LDS ....... ( Little Dude Syndrome )

This is the picture I was reffering to:

Re: Electric Fan - E-body - Proven Combos? [Re: GreenGlow] #1235110
05/21/12 11:53 AM
05/21/12 11:53 AM
K
kielbasa Offline OP
enthusiast
kielbasa  Offline OP
enthusiast
K

thanks for the info so far (didn't mean to get a peepee match going)....but to shed a little more light on the subject - my main reason is to "clean" the engine compartment up, the improved fuel mileage, etc. is just icing on the cake.
Goal is definitely for a clean, production type looking install.

p.s. how much weight savings (if any) with aluminum rad??
Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2