PA
B
BTTG Offline OP
mopar
BTTG  Offline OP
mopar
B

PA
Need to replace an inner wheel bearing on my 69 b-body with 11 inch front drums. Never done this before.

couple of questions:
1) I know you need to replace the wheel seal anytime one is removed. so since it is being replaced can I pry out the old one with a screwdriver or do you need a seal remover to avoid damaging something other than the seal permanently? Never pulled one so not sure how tight they are in there.

2)I was going to order this wheel bearing

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BRGBR6_0073477470

Was unsure if i need this Wheel Bearing Cup - Inner - Front Wheel as well?

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BRGLM67010_0073477478

3) Can the new grease seal be set in place without buying a seal driver? seems it could seated squarely as there is lots of room behind the drum to work with

Figured I would check so I can order the parts today before disassembling and replacing this weekend.

TIA

Re: 11 front drum inner wheel bearing and seal replacement [Re: BTTG] #1231506
05/11/12 09:22 AM
05/11/12 09:22 AM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

first bearing inculdes the cup. they normally come as a matched set.

so you don't need the second.

just a screw driver will do to pull the seal. it is in there pretty good, but the metal it is made of is so weak, it will bend easy and pop out.

you don't need a special driver, a large socket will do, and in a pinch, just gentle hammering alternating from side to side so as not to put it in crooked will be fine.

getting the race/cup out is the hardest part. you have to have a long enough punch to reach it from the other side.

clean it up on the inside and you will see like 2 or 3 grooves is the only way I can describe it, where you can access the lip of the race to punch it out.

Re: 11 front drum inner wheel bearing and seal replacement [Re: BTTG] #1231507
05/11/12 09:23 AM
05/11/12 09:23 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Remove the outer wheel bearing, reinstall the retaining nut. Then grab the drum and yank it off. The seal and inner bearing will stay on the spindle.
Pack up your new bearing with grease. Pound out the outer race in the drum with a punch and hammer. Reinstall the new one with the same tools.
Then place the new bearing in the new outer race and use a hammer to install the new grease seal.

Lot's of times I can reuse the grease seal because I don't damage them yanking them out like I described.

Good luck, do it it's a easy job.

Re: 11 front drum inner wheel bearing and seal replacement [Re: Challenger 1] #1231508
05/11/12 10:39 AM
05/11/12 10:39 AM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Remove the outer wheel bearing, reinstall the retaining nut. Then grab the drum and yank it off. The seal and inner bearing will stay on the spindle.
Pack up your new bearing with grease. Pound out the outer race in the drum with a punch and hammer. Reinstall the new one with the same tools.
Then place the new bearing in the new outer race and use a hammer to install the new grease seal.

Lot's of times I can reuse the grease seal because I don't damage them yanking them out like I described. By the way if you don't have it apart , how do you know you need the inner bearing or if that is all you need or what you need?????

Good luck, do it it's a easy job.

I agree fully. Been doing it this way for more years that I care to remember.