Las Vegas NV
moparmanjames Offline
pro stock
moparmanjames  Offline
pro stock

Las Vegas NV
Quote:

Quote:

Well I believe the point here was the OP was tryinig to inform folks of an experience he had with a builder. We see good ones posted all the time here. but rarely the not so good ones. I think after reading all this we can see why. I have no issue with him just taking his stuff somewhere else. I have been in this business for a long time and it happens a lot.

Some people like myself do not like to complain. If we feel we have been treated unfairly or not given what we pay for or feel the level of service is subpar we simply move on and not patronize the business again. The best protest in my opinion is to withold your money from said business. I know that is what I do, live and learn. I will however share my experience with anyone that wants to listen.

His decision to not go back to Shady Dell is his decision. I dont hear him asking to be made whole again. Although I am sure he would cetainly be appreciative. I think the entire point was to share his experience. We have heard both sides of the issue and can all draw our own conclusions.

I have to agree with Al on this. I am in the middle of an issue myself and not very happy about it so I will have to fix myself or go somewhere else. Here are a few pics of what I am talking about, tell me if you can see the problem......it stands out like a sore thumb.

I'm going blind but what I do see is that the valve cover might not fit over the rockers?

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: ] #1231185
05/10/12 09:24 PM
05/10/12 09:24 PM
north cakalaky
I
instigator Offline
super stock
instigator  Offline
super stock
I

north cakalaky
Quote:

Quote:

Well I believe the point here was the OP was tryinig to inform folks of an experience he had with a builder. We see good ones posted all the time here. but rarely the not so good ones. I think after reading all this we can see why. I have no issue with him just taking his stuff somewhere else. I have been in this business for a long time and it happens a lot.

Some people like myself do not like to complain. If we feel we have been treated unfairly or not given what we pay for or feel the level of service is subpar we simply move on and not patronize the business again. The best protest in my opinion is to withold your money from said business. I know that is what I do, live and learn. I will however share my experience with anyone that wants to listen.

His decision to not go back to Shady Dell is his decision. I dont hear him asking to be made whole again. Although I am sure he would cetainly be appreciative. I think the entire point was to share his experience. We have heard both sides of the issue and can all draw our own conclusions.

I have to agree with Al on this. I am in the middle of an issue myself and not very happy about it so I will have to fix myself or go somewhere else. Here are a few pics of what I am talking about, tell me if you can see the problem......it stands out like a sore thumb.

It's a big-block...the only real problem I see!!!!!!

65 Barracuda
All aluminum Indy HEMI with some boost!
COMING TO A TRACK NEAR YOU!

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: moparmanjames] #1231186
05/10/12 09:27 PM
05/10/12 09:27 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I'm going blind but what I do see is that the valve cover might not fit over the rockers?

Just needs reverse lip valve covers... I believe
he is referring to the 3 bolts vs studs but that isnt
mandatory but its nice with alum heads

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: moparmanjames] #1231187
05/10/12 09:29 PM
05/10/12 09:29 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Lay off Ryan!
From what I see customer never called Ryan until well after much water had gone under the bridge--case closed. Customer took things into his own hands, THAT was the end of it as far as a business deal. As to guessing what really happened--I have pals that work in Nascar--their only job is autopsy after issues--well...they are SMART and sometimes they never figure out what really started it all and what really happened--they do it every day and have access to the best equipment, electron microscopes, tech that rivals NASA, the industry experts that made the parts,the metal guys, etc and they tell me it is the most difficult job in the shop to figure what really happened. So just pulling some covers, looking in and proclaiming this did that and so on seems suspect to me. Bash if you want to, it is easy but I bet the WHOLE story would come to a different conclusion. And for all that BS about coil bind --until Nascar guys started running within about .050 of CB no one else did or knew to--a mile of spring left before coil bind will not hurt a thing in many applications.
Reading a book about how to swim will get you drowned and dead. Reading about engine building will not make you an engine builder. Building hundreds of fine engines will teach you, and Ryan has done that and more! The main thing about Moparts is you CAN learn things on here. It IS helpful! But...this everyone piling on when many really do not have the experience to say a word is chilling. It turns my stomach to see it happen again and again. Lay back, read, read between the lines but keep your keystrokes to yourself unless you are sure you know better than the folks involved. He bashed first here, BEFORE he called the builder--IMO case closed. Race engines fail--it is a fact--big boys buy another and keep on winning--they know it is a part of the game-- Every engine builder in the world has had an engine fail---the customer telling exactly why it did is armchair quarterbacking AT BEST. Sleep well tonight Ryan, I would use you in a skinny minute if I needed a bad to the bone Small Block!

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1231188
05/10/12 09:38 PM
05/10/12 09:38 PM
Las Vegas NV
moparmanjames Offline
pro stock
moparmanjames  Offline
pro stock

Las Vegas NV
Quote:

Just needs reverse lip valve covers... I believe
he is referring to the 3 bolts vs studs but that isnt
mandatory but its nice with alum heads

Yeah I saw the bolts but I didn't think it was a big deal, but I guess it could be if proper care isn't taken, aka not using moly lube or the like.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: instigator] #1231189
05/10/12 09:49 PM
05/10/12 09:49 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's a big-block...the only real problem I see!!!!!!

Hey instigator, what has your car run just out of curiousity...........

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: ] #1231190
05/11/12 12:39 AM
05/11/12 12:39 AM
Out West
408strokerdart Offline
master
408strokerdart  Offline
master

Out West
Quote:

Lay off Ryan!
From what I see customer never called Ryan until well after much water had gone under the bridge--case closed. Customer took things into his own hands, THAT was the end of it as far as a business deal. As to guessing what really happened--I have pals that work in Nascar--their only job is autopsy after issues--well...they are SMART and sometimes they never figure out what really started it all and what really happened--they do it every day and have access to the best equipment, electron microscopes, tech that rivals NASA, the industry experts that made the parts,the metal guys, etc and they tell me it is the most difficult job in the shop to figure what really happened. So just pulling some covers, looking in and proclaiming this did that and so on seems suspect to me. Bash if you want to, it is easy but I bet the WHOLE story would come to a different conclusion. And for all that BS about coil bind --until Nascar guys started running within about .050 of CB no one else did or knew to--a mile of spring left before coil bind will not hurt a thing in many applications.
Reading a book about how to swim will get you drowned and dead. Reading about engine building will not make you an engine builder. Building hundreds of fine engines will teach you, and Ryan has done that and more! The main thing about Moparts is you CAN learn things on here. It IS helpful! But...this everyone piling on when many really do not have the experience to say a word is chilling. It turns my stomach to see it happen again and again. Lay back, read, read between the lines but keep your keystrokes to yourself unless you are sure you know better than the folks involved. He bashed first here, BEFORE he called the builder--IMO case closed. Race engines fail--it is a fact--big boys buy another and keep on winning--they know it is a part of the game-- Every engine builder in the world has had an engine fail---the customer telling exactly why it did is armchair quarterbacking AT BEST. Sleep well tonight Ryan, I would use you in a skinny minute if I needed a bad to the bone Small Block!

Big boys normally have deep pockets and big sponsor money to just "keep winning". It's possible that if you have Ryan build you a bad small block, have it nearly destroyed after 50 passes and out of pocket a bunch of cash that you might get the jist of this post.

I also don't know how you can proclaim armchair quarterbacking? I chronicled the tear down all the wat to a bare block. I didn't just pull the valve covers and make a proclamation from 10' away like you suggest. You also have no knowledge of my own experience, education or technical expertise.

I appreciate you post for what it is though. Now where is that pistachio hugging smiley.....

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: ] #1231191
05/11/12 02:41 AM
05/11/12 02:41 AM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Quote:

Lay off Ryan!

Wow, looks like you need to lay off the coffee and this comes from another disgruntled customer that had to spend alot of money on parts that were,,lets say less than professionally done,and as far as experience, fella you don't have a clue you don't know me and you dont know Brian, you don't know where we came from or what we have done to gain the knowlege we have, so if you want to call out being armchair quarterbacks then take a good soulful look in the mirror, and report back what you see. away

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: dartman366] #1231192
05/11/12 09:11 AM
05/11/12 09:11 AM
Michigan
BPE Offline
mopar
BPE  Offline
mopar

Michigan
Now where is that pistachio hugging smiley.....

That Sir was funny!

Rod

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: BPE] #1231193
05/11/12 09:48 AM
05/11/12 09:48 AM
Out West
408strokerdart Offline
master
408strokerdart  Offline
master

Out West
Quote:

Now where is that pistachio hugging smiley.....

That Sir was funny!

Rod

I've been told that I am mildly amusing at times.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: moparmanjames] #1231194
05/11/12 10:40 AM
05/11/12 10:40 AM
tn
R
robnbird Offline
super stock
robnbird  Offline
super stock
R

tn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I will take a stab; are both rockers exaust rockers ?

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: robnbird] #1231195
05/11/12 10:45 AM
05/11/12 10:45 AM
Finally a HUSKER again
Moparnut426 Offline
I Live Here
Moparnut426  Offline
I Live Here

Finally a HUSKER again
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I see standard grade 8 bolts and some ARP studs holding them down, Is this the issue??

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Moparnut426] #1231196
05/11/12 12:33 PM
05/11/12 12:33 PM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I see standard grade 8 bolts and some ARP studs holding them down, Is this the issue??

The cardboard valley pan will most likely leak??/

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Eric] #1231197
05/12/12 02:31 AM
05/12/12 02:31 AM
Califor-ni-A!
MrFoFody Offline
mopar
MrFoFody  Offline
mopar

Califor-ni-A!

The cardboard valley pan will most likely leak??/

I'll take Grade 8 bolts versus ARP for $200 Alex...

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: MrFoFody] #1231198
05/12/12 06:58 AM
05/12/12 06:58 AM
A shed in England
Tig Offline
master
Tig  Offline
master

A shed in England
To me it looks like intake rockers have been used but I have no experience with those rockers.
Does the other side have all non offset rockers?

'74 Challenger..9.46 @ 145.9 1/4, 6.001 @ 118 1/8 so far. 4023lb !!! # N/A, Marsh performance 655ci, Indy Maxx, T/R, Indy 600-13 X's, Street legal, pump gas, full interior, Cal-Tracs, mufflers, 3:73's and real 10.5 radials.
9.51 @ 142.4 1/4, 6.003 @ 114 1/8 with our old mule KB, 572-13, 580 wedge.
RHD '68 Barracuda Fastback 323ci street/strip. Best ET 13.88 @ 99.03
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Tig] #1231199
05/12/12 07:50 AM
05/12/12 07:50 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
If your referring to the grade 8 bolts,why are they an issue?Different heads have diffrent depths maimly at the corners,some need a 3-1/2 bolt or stud to get full thread engagment.Full thread contact is important for clamping loads and less chance of breaking or pulling the aluminium threads on aftermarket heads.The studs or bolts provided with the rockers are sometimes too short and need to be substituted and proper length studs are not always available.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: B G Racing] #1231200
05/13/12 06:18 PM
05/13/12 06:18 PM
Kewaskum, WI
K
Kelob_pie Offline
enthusiast
Kelob_pie  Offline
enthusiast
K

Kewaskum, WI
I see the problem. Took me awhile but I figured it out.
The tape is put on incorrectly. You should always put the lower piece on first and overlap with the top piece. That way in case the tape pieces don't stick to themselves, no junk will fall into the intake ports.
Whenever I have open heads like this situation sitting around, I make sure to put the tape on correctly.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Kelob_pie] #1231201
05/13/12 07:31 PM
05/13/12 07:31 PM
New Mexico
A
Adobedude Offline
pro stock
Adobedude  Offline
pro stock
A

New Mexico
The bolts holding down the cardboard valley tray have been over torqued.

Saw it right away....

2001 Dodge Dakota
408 All Motor
11.27 @ 117.83 mph
2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion.
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Adobedude] #1231202
05/13/12 10:25 PM
05/13/12 10:25 PM
mass,usa
sickhemi Offline
enthusiast
sickhemi  Offline
enthusiast

mass,usa
forgot to put oil on parts prior to assembly?

1968 gts 355 r3 six speed efi with irs in progress and 1969 convt 440 stage 6 efi 5spd dana
Page 1 of 2 1 2