Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1230305
05/13/12 08:08 PM
05/13/12 08:08 PM
reynoldsburg,ohio
poppaj Offline
mopar
poppaj  Offline
mopar

reynoldsburg,ohio
I have seen motors with the best parts (All New) fail on the dyno and on the other hand I have seen many motors with used parts through out still running strong after 500+ passes
Don't think it was a mistake from the builder, just think a part let-go.. Hate to hear it happened, but that is racing..poppaj

7204976-IMG_1805.jpg (63 downloads)

AA/NSS 65'Coronet "Whompin Wedge"
Pop & Son Performance 557" B-1 power
John Holt Chassis
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: poppaj] #1230306
05/13/12 08:10 PM
05/13/12 08:10 PM
Tampa Florida
dc426 Offline
gotta keep'm separated
dc426  Offline
gotta keep'm separated

Tampa Florida
You SHOULD be able to trust your builder, but I have found that you CAN'T!
DC

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Hot 340] #1230307
05/13/12 08:44 PM
05/13/12 08:44 PM
Michigan
BPE Offline
mopar
BPE  Offline
mopar

Michigan
I don't think it's just about having an axe to grind for some (me included). If someone told you to put SIR I-beam rods in your 500 HP drag engine would you do it? Of course not, but you probobly learned better from others experiences. If others have had bad experiences I think it would be beneficial to all of us to know it, so we don't make the same mistakes. Just because Brian chose to speak up doesn't make it wrong and may save some a lot of money.

Rod

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: BPE] #1230308
05/13/12 09:06 PM
05/13/12 09:06 PM
LONG ISLAND
fishy340 Offline
master
fishy340  Offline
master

LONG ISLAND
this is Brians issue,and i feel for him!! the rest are all just pileing on..Ryan has 4 sdss motors out here from A 481CI to 418 and all are strong and get uses a ton..you other arm chair qb's are something else,,,as i look at old post and not a word being said about sdss..this man posted every speck of info on 5 6 an 700hp combos for FREE...and you bomb on him for a mistake with all due respect were not sure is even his fault!! shame on you other guys..and bpe we can see a motive with you because Ryan didnt push for you cranks>..im done..ps i like Brian and i feel this hole thing stinks..especially when a man's income and rep are out there..piece

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: fishy340] #1230309
05/13/12 09:25 PM
05/13/12 09:25 PM
Michigan
BPE Offline
mopar
BPE  Offline
mopar

Michigan
If you think Ryan's word is going to make or break my business you sir are sadly mistaken. You have no idea who I am or why I would even throw my in on this post. If you are happy with him stick with what works for you. No hard feelings on my part.

Rod

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: fishy340] #1230310
05/13/12 09:55 PM
05/13/12 09:55 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Quote:

this is Brians issue,and i feel for him!! the rest are all just pileing on..Ryan has 4 sdss motors out here from A 481CI to 418 and all are strong and get uses a ton..you other arm chair qb's are something else,,,as i look at old post and not a word being said about sdss..this man posted every speck of info on 5 6 an 700hp combos for FREE...and you bomb on him for a mistake with all due respect were not sure is even his fault!! shame on you other guys..and bpe we can see a motive with you because Ryan didnt push for you cranks>..im done..ps i like Brian and i feel this hole thing stinks..especially when a man's income and rep are out there..piece

After 1 season and had to repair 4 guides in 1 head(cannot remember how many in the other) because they decided to slide towards the valve head because they were not machined correctly,,are you kidding me!,that was not a parts failure, that was in the machining, you do not want to know what my present machinist/builder had to say about that mess that he ended up fixing,,

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: BPE] #1230311
05/13/12 10:09 PM
05/13/12 10:09 PM
LONG ISLAND
fishy340 Offline
master
fishy340  Offline
master

LONG ISLAND
i have never thrown a buisness under the bus& i could have,its not my style(unless the guy tells me to blank myself,then i could lol,and trust me i've had some issues.I just wont use that company anymore,my issue is that in the few yrs i've been on moparts,there is only 1 member who doesn't make it a secret he wasnt happy w sdss...now 4 or 5 people pop out.I really feel for anyone who gets involved in race engines,its risky as hell(i'm about to spray the hell out of a 17.000 motor so trust me i know)

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: fishy340] #1230312
05/13/12 11:13 PM
05/13/12 11:13 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Quote:

i have never thrown a buisness under the bus& i could have,its not my style(unless the guy tells me to blank myself,then i could lol,and trust me i've had some issues.I just wont use that company anymore,my issue is that in the few yrs i've been on moparts,there is only 1 member who doesn't make it a secret he wasnt happy w sdss...now 4 or 5 people pop out.I really feel for anyone who gets involved in race engines,its risky as hell(i'm about to spray the hell out of a 17.000 motor so trust me i know)

That's because like you we chose not to bad mouth anyone just move on and don't look back, but when Brian spoke up and started to get piled on then it was time to let it known, that he was not alone in this.

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: dartman366] #1230313
05/13/12 11:24 PM
05/13/12 11:24 PM
LONG ISLAND
fishy340 Offline
master
fishy340  Offline
master

LONG ISLAND
i hear ya, my advice from rj has been pretty dead on,example on my w9's his advice was not to use mp w9 with there guides seats there cheap from mp etc(sometimes people dont have the choice they give him what they have),as they are kinda crappy...if you want to go all out with your w9 motor AND have the extra$$ for them go with Kent Ritter blanks and use cv products this an that...

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: 408strokerdart] #1230314
05/13/12 11:37 PM
05/13/12 11:37 PM
Rudolph, Ohio
moparguy7074 Offline
top fuel
moparguy7074  Offline
top fuel

Rudolph, Ohio
Well, I trust mine, but I'm luckier than most here. I've known him for over 40 years, as he is my brother.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: dc426] #1230315
05/14/12 12:54 AM
05/14/12 12:54 AM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Quote:

DC

Oh boy, not another can of worms.

But, I will add, race motors have alot of associated risks involved. Alot!

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: moparguy7074] #1230316
05/14/12 03:42 AM
05/14/12 03:42 AM
Oh
H
His and Her 69's Offline
pro stock
His and Her 69's  Offline
pro stock
H

Oh
I TRUST MY ENGINE BUILDER!!!
I am also like Brian/moparguy7074 as Mike has done all my motors
and have always performed Great. Sometimes I would like to get the motors done sooner but when he does get them done I KNOW EVERYTHING will be RIGHT. He has a lot of loyal customers and he is always busy.
He also builds whatever anyone brings to him for work, fords, chevys, mopars, even caddy motors. (he was mentioned on hotrod tv sunday)

I am Sorry for Brain's engine problems and I Hope he gets it going again, better stronger and faster.
David

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: dartman366] #1230317
05/14/12 10:20 AM
05/14/12 10:20 AM
Out West
408strokerdart Offline OP
master
408strokerdart  Offline OP
master

Out West
Quote:

Quote:

That's because like you we chose not to bad mouth anyone just move on and don't look back, but when Brian spoke up and started to get piled on then it was time to let it known, that he was not alone in this.

Hey Bill.....I think I am up to 23 unique users that I have received PM's from. I won't out them because I wouldn't do that as I know they have told me their stories in trust. It doesn't make it hurt (financially) less, but does make me feel better knowing I'm not alone.

To address one thing that was said, I do have alot of experience in diagnosing failures in machinery of all kinds. There is indeed some speculation on the valvetrain failure, but based on visual inspection of the parts, the set-up of the parts, the selection of the parts, etc......you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that things aren't right. So, was it speculation when I found the crank key sheared along the length? Or maybe it was speculation when I bolted a degree wheel on and found almost 2 degrees of lash in the gear drive. Am I "speculating" that it was installed wrong since the installation sets the lash? When simple things are done wrong, it makes you wary of everything.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: His and Her 69's] #1230318
05/14/12 10:23 AM
05/14/12 10:23 AM
Out West
408strokerdart Offline OP
master
408strokerdart  Offline OP
master

Out West
Quote:

I TRUST MY ENGINE BUILDER!!!
I am also like Brian/moparguy7074 as Mike has done all my motors
and have always performed Great. Sometimes I would like to get the motors done sooner but when he does get them done I KNOW EVERYTHING will be RIGHT. He has a lot of loyal customers and he is always busy.
He also builds whatever anyone brings to him for work, fords, chevys, mopars, even caddy motors. (he was mentioned on hotrod tv sunday)

I am Sorry for Brain's engine problems and I Hope he gets it going again, better stronger and faster.
David

Thanks David. It will be all three of those things.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: 408strokerdart] #1230319
05/14/12 01:05 PM
05/14/12 01:05 PM
sweden
1Fast340 Offline
master
1Fast340  Offline
master

sweden
nope i dont trust my enginebuilder the least i have known him for 30years and i see that misserable SOB in the mirror every morning.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: 1Fast340] #1230320
05/14/12 01:24 PM
05/14/12 01:24 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
So just because one person comes forward about an issue they had and others chime in with thier less than expected results it makes thier concerns somehow piling on? Some folks do not want to put up with the DRAMA that things like this cause. You can call it what you like, piling on if you wish. I think it has brought a potential issue to the surface. Also that issue seems to be substantiated by others as well. Seems none of these folks have an axe to grind they are just shedding more light on the subject.

Choose to see it any way you like, I am happy some have been happy with their results. The one thing I have noticed however is those who are very happy tend to be within a relatively close proximity of the shop in question. The issues I am aware of are way out west from PA. Just an observation, although there seems to be one fairly close as well. I have received a PM or five about this as well. Seems the issues are more prevelant the farether away from PA you get. Just an observation...

As eluded to hear the difference between a good shop and a great shop is HOW the handle issues that arise. All shops have issues from time to time. The way it is handled in my opinion says WAY more about a shop than any other endorsement from another customer ever can. Service after the sale is as important if not moreso than how the intiial transaction is handled. Just my opinion but if you want to know what keeps me coming back to a business this is the key.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Al_Alguire] #1230321
05/14/12 01:51 PM
05/14/12 01:51 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
IMHO this a lose, lose situation that nothing good is going to come from and I hate it both of parties.

I met Brian at Bowling Green several years ago, a super nice guy . He let me, a complete stranger crawl all over and under his (very nice)Dart and take photos, then took the time to answer all the dumb questions I had .

I have never met Ryan, although we have had several conversations on the phone and he did freshen my heads before I built my 408. In my dealings with him I had no issues.

I do all of my engine building except for the machine work, that way I know exactly what I have. All the measurements, clearences and assembly notes are written in a note book in the shop.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Al_Alguire] #1230322
05/14/12 03:31 PM
05/14/12 03:31 PM
LONG ISLAND
fishy340 Offline
master
fishy340  Offline
master

LONG ISLAND
Quote:

So just because one person comes forward about an issue they had and others chime in with thier less than expected results it makes thier concerns somehow piling on? Some folks do not want to put up with the DRAMA that things like this cause. You can call it what you like, piling on if you wish. I think it has brought a potential issue to the surface. Also that issue seems to be substantiated by others as well. Seems none of these folks have an axe to grind they are just shedding more light on the subject.

Choose to see it any way you like, I am happy some have been happy with their results. The one thing I have noticed however is those who are very happy tend to be within a relatively close proximity of the shop in question. The issues I am aware of are way out west from PA. Just an observation, although there seems to be one fairly close as well. I have received a PM or five about this as well. Seems the issues are more prevelant the farether away from PA you get. Just an observation...

As eluded to hear the difference between a good shop and a great shop is HOW the handle issues that arise. All shops have issues from time to time. The way it is handled in my opinion says WAY more about a shop than any other endorsement from another customer ever can. Service after the sale is as important if not moreso than how the intiial transaction is handled. Just my opinion but if you want to know what keeps me coming back to a business this is the key.

2 issues you mention great shop is when issues arise,i'm pretty sure if this issue was done by phone or email rj probably would have made good,or said its not my fault,,we will never know,,,as far as to the issue of being close or far away,thats just bs Al...take a look in ryans shop for orders on things as far away as australia.im damn sure sure the effort for who ever you are is the same!

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: dc426] #1230323
05/14/12 03:59 PM
05/14/12 03:59 PM
Florida-West Coast
Thor500 Offline
mopar
Thor500  Offline
mopar

Florida-West Coast
Quote:

DC

We're in the same neck of the woods, if there is is someone you feel that I should stear clear of, send me a pm.I've read enough of your posts to value your opinion. Good Mopar builders are hard to find down here, bad ones not so much.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Thor500] #1230324
05/14/12 04:22 PM
05/14/12 04:22 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Call it what you want. Belive what you will. I am not stating my opinion I am stating what I have seen. I am sure there are happy left coast SDSS customers no doubt, Just stating what seems to be the obvious at this point. I see no one making any less that stellar claims from the srurroudning area of the shop. It is what it is!

I know personally of a few folks over hear on the left coast who have had quality control issues with parts from SDSS. How do I know, we helped them rectify the problems. As well as at least three other people who had ssues with this shop as well, one of which who has chimed in on this thread. I would not get on e thread and say anything about a shop if I believed it was an isolated incident. In this case I have heard enough rumblings about the shop in question. Just took a brave soul to step forward and share his experience. His story has apparently made others comfortable enough to mention they too have had issues with SDSS. I have never dealt with them personally only been involoved in helping customers from there that were not happy with what was done.

As for the business side, just becuase someone does not choose to pick up a phone and call the original shop does not mean there is not an issue. If we find out a customer is unhappy I reach out. I do not wait for them to call me, we get ahold of them and do what ever necessary to rectify the situation. If that means paying the bill to have someone else fix something then so be it. If that is what our customer wants then that is what our customer gets. If they simly want a refund for the work then we woudl glady do that as well. I have found that generally when you reach out to unhappy customers a compromise can be reached where everyone is happy. But if a full refund is what it takes then so be it. Not trying to get rich doing this stuff.

In the end I doubt highly if this will have much of an affect on Ruyan's business. Moparts is a VERY VERY small segment of the Mopar community. Obviously many of SDSS's customers are very happy with what they have had done there. There are alos those who are less than happy with what was done. In the end hopefully this will be a learning experience for everyone involoved.

The phrase Caveat Emptor certainly applies here as always in this business. I have been in the industry for 30 years and I know we nor is anyone else perfect. What seperats us is how we choose to treat the bad situations. Not the good one...You only get one chance to make an impression.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10