R
RAUPLEMINZE454 Offline OP
enthusiast
RAUPLEMINZE454  Offline OP
enthusiast
R

McHenry, Illinois
Hey Guys,

I have a manual steering box that has been sitting for awhile. I have cleaned up the outside and have it ready for paint. Everything moves freely and there doesn't appear to be any leaks. Are there any recommendations of what to do before paint and install? Are there seals that should be replaced, a rebuild kit, or should I check the grease inside? I just want to do the work now before I install it.

Thanks,
Brian

Re: Manual steering box question [Re: RAUPLEMINZE454] #1225020
04/30/12 08:37 PM
04/30/12 08:37 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
If you want an original appearance, don't paint it. There is a seal for the sector shaft available from Firm Feel that you may wish to replace while it's out. It's also easier to adjust it while it's out of the car. Secure the box in a large vise [ wouldn't hurt to use some padding to prevent messing up the finish ] and place the steering column end in the exact center of travel. Generally this will place the master spline in the 12 o'clock position. Use a Large pipe wrench to loosen the big lock nut and then turn the adjuster so that the worm gear has zero end play. Tighten the lock nut. Now adjust the sector shaft. Loosen the [ small ] lock nut and tighten sector shaft adjuster until it has zero play with just a touch of preload. Tighten lock nut. It is VERY IMPORTANT that the steering gear be in the exact center of travel when these adjustments are made.