04/24/12 04:43 PM
04/24/12 04:43 PM
NJ
C
ChryslerDUDE Offline OP
ChryslerDUDE  Offline OP
C

NJ
I was driving down the highway doing about 80 mph---no problems, then all of the sudden I lose complete power...like the motor stalled, this lasted all of maybe 1 or 2 seconds, then the motor comes back to life like nothing ever happen.. EXCEPT that right after this I hear this really loud "POP", like a huge balloon bursting. Second time this has happened.

My guess: fuel pump on the edge of completely shutting down. Its the original pump (carter mechanical) engine sucking in only air those very few seconds....and this is my warning sign to get a new pump.

Any thoughts out there? Has this happened to you? How did you solve it?

Re: Strange problem going on [Re: ChryslerDUDE] #1221723
04/24/12 04:51 PM
04/24/12 04:51 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
First thing is what vehicle are we talking about? Second that sounds more electrical than fuel because the pop is most likely unburnt fuel in the exhaust system igniting when the engine refires.

Re: Strange problem going on [Re: stumpy] #1221724
04/24/12 04:52 PM
04/24/12 04:52 PM
Queens, New York
H
Harley Offline
super stock
Harley  Offline
super stock
H

Queens, New York
Quote:

First thing is what vehicle are we talking about? Second that sounds more electrical than fuel because the pop is most likely unburnt fuel in the exhause system igniting when the engine refires.

Re: Strange problem going on [Re: Harley] #1221725
04/24/12 05:30 PM
04/24/12 05:30 PM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
i'm gonna ride with Stumpy on this. something shut down the electrical system for a blink of an eye and the pop was un burned fuel.

Re: Strange problem going on [Re: mikemee1331] #1221726
04/24/12 05:42 PM
04/24/12 05:42 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
x3 , even if the fuel pump quit there would be enough fuel for the engine to run for a short time till the bowl was empty ... ASSuMEing this is a carbureted engine and not fuel injected , if injected ... nevermind

Re: Strange problem going on [Re: JohnRR] #1221727
04/24/12 05:53 PM
04/24/12 05:53 PM
NJ
C
ChryslerDUDE Offline OP
ChryslerDUDE  Offline OP
C

NJ
Whoops, my bad guys. Said vehicle is a 1970 Chrysler Newport 383 4bbl/ auto.

So electrical issue than. What could be shutting down electrical power monetarily like that? Taking a guess...I've had ballast resistors fail, but not like that. The event shut my car down permanently (until I changed it.)

Last edited by ChryslerDUDE; 04/24/12 05:59 PM.
Re: Strange problem going on [Re: ChryslerDUDE] #1221728
04/24/12 06:14 PM
04/24/12 06:14 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline

Have you done an electronic ignition conversion?

I had a '71 Newport that I did a conversion on using factory bits off a '73. No issues with the conversion, but, a few years later, the ECU started going flaky. Mine would do EXACTLY like you described, the little POP you heard was actually a little back fire.

One time, it was actually kinda funny. Had some idiot riding my butt while blasting down the freeway at about 70MPH, when it 'stalled'. Before I had time to react, it started right back up, but, you want to talk about one hell of a backfire!! It was LOUD and BRIGHT and it felt like the car lifted up some from it!

The guy that had been right ON my bumper for some reason dropped w-a-y back.

I installed a new ECU and never had the problem again.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: Strange problem going on [Re: SattyNoCar] #1221729
04/24/12 07:01 PM
04/24/12 07:01 PM
NJ
C
ChryslerDUDE Offline OP
ChryslerDUDE  Offline OP
C

NJ
Quote:

I had a '71 Newport that I did a conversion on using factory bits off a '73. No issues with the conversion, but, a few years later, the ECU started going flaky. Mine would do EXACTLY like you described, the little POP you heard was actually a little back fire.

One time, it was actually kinda funny. Had some idiot riding my butt while blasting down the freeway at about 70MPH, when it 'stalled'. Before I had time to react, it started right back up, but, you want to talk about one hell of a backfire!! It was LOUD and BRIGHT and it felt like the car lifted up some from it!

Hey Satilite73..actually that sounds kind of scary something like that happening with someone right on your bumper like that....

Anyways yes, I put in a complete mopar performance electronic ignition not 6 months ago. The ECU (orange box) is brand spanking new. HOWEVER, now that you mention this, while doing some other stuff under the hood while the car was running, by random accident I pulled on the connector and the car shut down immediately, and I had not even pulled the connector all the off, just enough for it to loose contact with the prongs. So maybe I need to go check to see if its on nice and snug??

Re: Strange problem going on [Re: ChryslerDUDE] #1221730
04/24/12 07:29 PM
04/24/12 07:29 PM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
Quote:

Quote:

Hey Satilite73..actually that sounds kind of scary something like that happening with someone right on your bumper like that....

Anyways yes, I put in a complete mopar performance electronic ignition not 6 months ago. The ECU (orange box) is brand spanking new. HOWEVER, now that you mention this, while doing some other stuff under the hood while the car was running, by random accident I pulled on the connector and the car shut down immediately, and I had not even pulled the connector all the off, just enough for it to loose contact with the prongs. So maybe I need to go check to see if its on nice and snug??

keyword said in your reply - orange box. these have a bad reputation especially at higher rpm's (you said you were doing 80mph).

Re: Strange problem going on [Re: mikemee1331] #1221731
04/24/12 07:40 PM
04/24/12 07:40 PM
NJ
C
ChryslerDUDE Offline OP
ChryslerDUDE  Offline OP
C

NJ
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

keyword said in your reply - orange box. these have a bad reputation especially at higher rpm's (you said you were doing 80mph).

Really?! Great, I thought switching over to the electronic ignition would save me problems not make more. What options are there to the orange box??

Re: Strange problem going on [Re: ChryslerDUDE] #1221732
04/24/12 07:51 PM
04/24/12 07:51 PM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
i'm guessing that with that boat you're not planning on doing any serious drag racing ? you can just go to NAPA and pick up a a cheap one. keep in mind, i'm not saying the orange box is the problem. simply reporting there have been tons of problems and failures. you might also opt for the MP chrome box which can handle higher rpm's.

Re: Strange problem going on [Re: mikemee1331] #1221733
04/24/12 08:15 PM
04/24/12 08:15 PM
NJ
C
ChryslerDUDE Offline OP
ChryslerDUDE  Offline OP
C

NJ
Quote:

i'm guessing that with that boat you're not planning on doing any serious drag racing ? you can just go to NAPA and pick up a a cheap one. keep in mind, i'm not saying the orange box is the problem. simply reporting there have been tons of problems and failures. you might also opt for the MP chrome box which can handle higher rpm's.

Ok, got it. Thanks for the info. I am hoping however the immediate problem is just a loose connector. If so I'm good for now...but I'll keep the info handy. No, I'm not planning to do any drag racing in the "boat", what with only a warmed up 383. I had a really stout 440 in a 1970 Imperial before this car that would surprise you though....w/AC intact.

Re: Strange problem going on [Re: mikemee1331] #1221734
04/24/12 08:20 PM
04/24/12 08:20 PM
SattyNoCar Offline
SattyNoCar  Offline

For a driver, just use a stock box from NAPA (or where ever). It'll still be better than points.

Also, make sure the unit is GROUNDED. On my drivers, I go so far as to run one of those braided ground straps from one of the boxes mounting points to the engine, rather than rely on 'just' a self tapping bolt. Nothing kills an ECU faster than a poor ground.

From what I've read, its the newer orange boxes that are 'bad'. I had one I bought back about 1991 that I used on four different cars and ran for untold miles before it started going bad.

While I didn't mention it in my story, it was this box I was using on my Chrysler at the time.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: Strange problem going on [Re: SattyNoCar] #1221735
04/24/12 08:30 PM
04/24/12 08:30 PM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
Quote:

For a driver, just use a stock box from NAPA (or where ever). It'll still be better than points.

Also, make sure the unit is GROUNDED. On my drivers, I go so far as to run one of those braided ground straps from one of the boxes mounting points to the engine, rather than rely on 'just' a self tapping bolt. Nothing kills an ECU faster than a poor ground.

From what I've read, its the newer orange boxes that are 'bad'. I had one I bought back about 1991 that I used on four different cars and ran for untold miles before it started going bad.

While I didn't mention it in my story, it was this box I was using on my Chrysler at the time.

you made an excellent point. make sure you have a good ground on the box. what you can do is scrape the paint off the back of the box and around the mounting holes. put a washer or 2 on the back so the screw goes through them. this will help with grounding and increase airflow in the back of the unit.

Re: Strange problem going on [Re: mikemee1331] #1221736
04/24/12 08:51 PM
04/24/12 08:51 PM
NJ
C
ChryslerDUDE Offline OP
ChryslerDUDE  Offline OP
C

NJ
Quote:

Quote:

you made an excellent point. make sure you have a good ground on the box. what you can do is scrape the paint off the back of the box and around the mounting holes. put a washer or 2 on the back so the screw goes through them. this will help with grounding and increase airflow in the back of the unit.

That's almost how I've got it mounted currently...except for the strap. I just went outside and checked to see if the connector was pinned down nice and tight on the box.

I've heard electrical problems (like what happened to me) can also come from bad bulk head connector under the PB booster. Horror stories of part of it coming loose or getting some kind of corrosion in there.