04/23/12 05:50 PM
04/23/12 05:50 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Mobarge Offline OP
pro stock
Mobarge  Offline OP
pro stock

Los Angeles, CA
A previous owner sometime in the past 41 years ran my Plymouth over a large rock, and dented the leading edge of the K member in front of the steering box. Wasn't a bad enough hit to tweak the sub frame that I can tell - the car tracks straight and level - but it did dent the K member on the leading edge. I should have replaced it when I had the engine out twice, but didn't. Oh well.

So here is the question: As part of a front suspension rebuild, I was thinking about replacing the K member with one that is not dented (purely from a looks standpoint). If I support the engine and trans in place with an engine hoist from above, and from underneath with a 4 X 4 spanned over two jacks on the bellhousing / pan, and support the front of the car with four jackstands on the subframe, can I drop the K member as an assembly (including the steering box and lower control arms)?

Has anyone done this?

As I said, should have done this with the engine out...

'71 SSP - SOLD!
Re: K Member Replacement [Re: Mobarge] #1221255
04/23/12 06:36 PM
04/23/12 06:36 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
The typical way to do what you want to do is use an engine support bar, it sits on the area the fender bolts to the inner fender & a chain is attached around the waterpump snout..... I have two of the support bars, if you were closer I'd set you up... The same thing can be done with a steel bar & a couple 4x4's...

7176654-image_11976.jpg (56 downloads)

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: K Member Replacement [Re: Mobarge] #1221256
04/23/12 08:14 PM
04/23/12 08:14 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

A previous owner sometime in the past 41 years ran my Plymouth over a large rock, and dented the leading edge of the K member in front of the steering box. Wasn't a bad enough hit to tweak the sub frame that I can tell - the car tracks straight and level - but it did dent the K member on the leading edge. I should have replaced it when I had the engine out twice, but didn't. Oh well.

So here is the question: As part of a front suspension rebuild, I was thinking about replacing the K member with one that is not dented (purely from a looks standpoint). If I support the engine and trans in place with an engine hoist from above, and from underneath with a 4 X 4 spanned over two jacks on the bellhousing / pan, and support the front of the car with four jackstands on the subframe, can I drop the K member as an assembly (including the steering box and lower control arms)?

Has anyone done this?

As I said, should have done this with the engine out...

One can never be too safe ....

I have pulled the K frame in the past, stuck a big wooden block under the oil pan after the car was supported on a pair of jack stands under the framerails behind the K I left the trans bolted to the crossmember, probably sat like that for a month .

Go for it .