04/22/12 05:31 PM
04/22/12 05:31 PM
Iowa, US
oldsklharo Offline OP
enthusiast
oldsklharo  Offline OP
enthusiast

Iowa, US
Ok I just installed my new Hughes 2500 Stall converter and would like to know if there is a specific break in procedure? I didn't get anything with the converter stating so but thought I would ask before I tear something up.

Every thing is installed. I filled the tranny with new fluid and started it for one or two seconds. I then checked the fluid and added till full again.

Do I need to let it idle in drive for a few minutes while it is up on jack stands or can I drop it down and go for a ride??

Last edited by oldsklharo; 04/23/12 11:27 AM.
Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: oldsklharo] #1220531
04/22/12 05:32 PM
04/22/12 05:32 PM
Iowa, US
oldsklharo Offline OP
enthusiast
oldsklharo  Offline OP
enthusiast

Iowa, US
I can't find anything on the web or their official site for converter instructions. I would call their Tech Support but it's Sunday and I want to drive her today!!!!

Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: oldsklharo] #1220532
04/22/12 05:45 PM
04/22/12 05:45 PM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
pretty much that's all there is to it. idle it in neutral for a bit a recheck fluid level. hopefully you put fluid in the converter before you installed it.

Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: oldsklharo] #1220533
04/22/12 08:38 PM
04/22/12 08:38 PM
tucson az
F
frank Offline
top fuel
frank  Offline
top fuel
F

tucson az
No break in required. If fluid is good drive it

Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: oldsklharo] #1220534
04/22/12 10:49 PM
04/22/12 10:49 PM
oklahoma
F
forphorty Offline
pro stock
forphorty  Offline
pro stock
F

oklahoma
fluid level is to be checked idling in nuetral

Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: forphorty] #1220535
04/22/12 11:47 PM
04/22/12 11:47 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Torque converters use hydraulic fluid/pressure to work. when they are full of fluid and functioning correctly, there is NO metal to metal contact it's all "fluid", and thus, NOTHING to "break in" fill it with fluid and run it!

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: oldsklharo] #1220536
04/23/12 12:13 AM
04/23/12 12:13 AM
Its a TRAP!
DARTH V8Я Offline
Oh No!! I just had a moron attack!
DARTH V8Я  Offline

Its a TRAP!
Lets us know how it idles in gear

When it takes more than a sweet mullet to prove you rule at the trailer park..
Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: DARTH V8Я] #1220537
04/23/12 11:25 AM
04/23/12 11:25 AM
Iowa, US
oldsklharo Offline OP
enthusiast
oldsklharo  Offline OP
enthusiast

Iowa, US
Quote:

Lets us know how it idles in gear

You know me way to well!!

Well, the SOB still drops down to about 450-500 RPM.....down from 1000 RPM at idle. I don't know what to do at this point. It does idle smoother at the 500, like it's not laboring as hard to idle but still drops like 550 RPM.

HELP!!!!

Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: oldsklharo] #1220538
04/23/12 11:42 AM
04/23/12 11:42 AM
Its a TRAP!
DARTH V8Я Offline
DARTH V8Я  Offline

Its a TRAP!
Now you have to tinker with the carb a bit. make sure the secondaries are not completely closed at idle, the should be slightly open. Idle mixtures will have to be reset, fun stuff. You'll get there

Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: DARTH V8Я] #1220539
04/23/12 11:55 AM
04/23/12 11:55 AM
Iowa, US
oldsklharo Offline OP
enthusiast
oldsklharo  Offline OP
enthusiast

Iowa, US
Quote:

Now you have to tinker with the carb a bit. make sure the secondaries are not completely closed at idle, the should be slightly open. Idle mixtures will have to be reset, fun stuff. You'll get there

Ok will do.... I haven't checked my secondaries so that will be next. I also tuned my idle mixture screws yesterday with a vacuum gauge so I know those are pretty good but will reset them again once I verify/adjust my secondaries

Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: DARTH V8Я] #1220540
04/23/12 12:37 PM
04/23/12 12:37 PM
Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana
ProStDodge Offline
master
ProStDodge  Offline
master

9 times out of 10, if the idle speed drops significantly between neutral and drive, the problem is in the distributor, not the carb or converter.

If the mechanical advance springs in the distributor are too light, there will be just a touch of advance at idle speeds of 900-100 RPM (remember - factory idle is about 700 RPM). When you put it in gear, the idle slows just enough to let the advance spring pull back, which removes some of the timing, resulting in a bigger drop in idle RPM.

Since you have a converter which will flash to 2500, there is no point in having light springs in the distributor. I would install two medium springs, and reset your timing to 36 degrees @ 3000 RPM. (w/vacuum advance plugged off),

Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: oldsklharo] #1220541
04/23/12 12:41 PM
04/23/12 12:41 PM
Overpriced Housing Central
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Grab distributor and twist it clockwise... it needs more initial. If the engine picks up RPM when you do that THE ENGINE WANTS THE TIMING, PERIOD!

Put 16 on it at idle, turn the idle speed down to 850-900, reset mix screws to highest vacuum and see what it does. You'll have to change the mechanical. been through this before, read the other post you started. Don't drive it until you alter the mechanical advance.

IMO, Total timing method is a rotten method for timing a street driven car.

Only time I have a tune up on a car like what you currently have is if it needs to be smogged!

Positive you don't have vacuum leak issues?

Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: RobX4406] #1220542
04/23/12 02:10 PM
04/23/12 02:10 PM
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Put as much initial timing on it that the starter can handle.

Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: RobX4406] #1220543
04/23/12 02:41 PM
04/23/12 02:41 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Put as much initial timing on it that the starter can handle.

Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: Challenger 1] #1220544
04/23/12 03:06 PM
04/23/12 03:06 PM
Iowa, US
oldsklharo Offline OP
enthusiast
oldsklharo  Offline OP
enthusiast

Iowa, US
Ok, I upped by initial till it didn't want anymore and it doesn't kick back on the starter at this point when I start it while it is warm. When I started moving the dist it definitely sped up! I turned my idle down to 900 and reset by idle mixture screws. I am pulling about 17 cm HG or 7 Hg now. Is that good? I have no idea what good vacuum should be from my carb vacuum port. I am running a Holly 750 SP with vacuum secondaries. I also have a Mallory Unilite mechanical advance dist. I have a re-curve kit for it but am not sure what springs I should be using. I think someone said to use two of the medium springs? Gold and Orange? Those two are in the middle of the chart........

With the car warmed up and idling in part, my secondaries are all the way closed How do I adjust the secondaries? With a looser spring??

I am still seeing it idle in gear at 450-500 RPM.... UUUGH!

Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: RobX4406] #1220545
04/23/12 03:47 PM
04/23/12 03:47 PM
ProStDodge Offline
master
ProStDodge  Offline
master

Quote:

Grab distributor and twist it clockwise... it needs more initial. If the engine picks up RPM when you do that THE ENGINE WANTS THE TIMING, PERIOD!

Put 16 on it at idle, turn the idle speed down to 850-900, reset mix screws to highest vacuum and see what it does. You'll have to change the mechanical. been through this before, read the other post you started. Don't drive it until you alter the mechanical advance.

Only time I have a tune up on a car like what you currently have is if it needs to be smogged!

Thank you for informing me my way of timing is "rotten".

So I set the timing at 18 Initial, with no regard for total timing, turn down the idle and go for a cruise, and find the car has enough spark knock to melt holes in the tops of the pistons when you get on it. Yep that sure works.

Unless you have a race motor with big cam and lots of duration and overlap (low idle vacuum), the motor does not need 18 degrees initial.

Excessive initial timing can cause the engine to run hot as well. Not a problem on a rich race motor which uses the excess fuel to help cool it, but not what you want on a street motor.

Why not let the distributor do what it is designed to do? The problem of idle speed drop in gear will not change with more initial timing. The mechanical advance is still dropping timing when the car is put under load (neutral to drive), so the idle speed will still drop excessively.

I still say to set the total timing at an RPM that has the mechanical advance "all in", usually by 3000 RPM. Then IF the motor really needs more initial timing to stay running after setting the total timing, you then modify the distributor advance.

The springs for the mechanical advance need to be strong enough to prevent movement until the motor is rev'ed above the idle speed. There should be NO mechanical advance in at idle speed. With the 2500 converter, the motor will rev up easily enough to prevent excessive loading of the motor until the timing starts to advance.

To determine if this is indeed the original Posters problem, you can check the timing at idle in neutral, and again in gear. If it is the same both times, there are likely other issues such as a vacuum leak. It they are different, then the problem is the advance springs, regardless of the initial timing. .

Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: ProStDodge] #1220546
04/23/12 04:27 PM
04/23/12 04:27 PM
Iowa, US
oldsklharo Offline OP
enthusiast
oldsklharo  Offline OP
enthusiast

Iowa, US
I had the initial around 18 and there was no deviation between park or in gear timing. It stays rock solid at 18 in both situations.

I previously plugged all my vacuum ports on the carb and nothing changed which leads me to believe I don't have a vacuum problem. Not to mention I am pulling 17 cm Hg on my gauge.........

Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: ProStDodge] #1220547
04/23/12 04:38 PM
04/23/12 04:38 PM
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you for informing me my way of timing is "rotten".

So I set the timing at 18 Initial, with no regard for total timing, turn down the idle and go for a cruise, and find the car has enough spark knock to melt holes in the tops of the pistons when you get on it. Yep that sure works.

Unless you have a race motor with big cam and lots of duration and overlap (low idle vacuum), the motor does not need 18 degrees initial.

Excessive initial timing can cause the engine to run hot as well. Not a problem on a rich race motor which uses the excess fuel to help cool it, but not what you want on a street motor.

Why not let the distributor do what it is designed to do? The problem of idle speed drop in gear will not change with more initial timing. The mechanical advance is still dropping timing when the car is put under load (neutral to drive), so the idle speed will still drop excessively.

I still say to set the total timing at an RPM that has the mechanical advance "all in", usually by 3000 RPM. Then IF the motor really needs more initial timing to stay running after setting the total timing, you then modify the distributor advance.

The springs for the mechanical advance need to be strong enough to prevent movement until the motor is rev'ed above the idle speed. There should be NO mechanical advance in at idle speed. With the 2500 converter, the motor will rev up easily enough to prevent excessive loading of the motor until the timing starts to advance.

To determine if this is indeed the original Posters problem, you can check the timing at idle in neutral, and again in gear. If it is the same both times, there are likely other issues such as a vacuum leak. It they are different, then the problem is the advance springs, regardless of the initial timing. .

He already knows he needs to limit the distributor advance to get his total in line. Much of what you wrote has been hashed out in prior threads. He says it's NOT dropping timing.

I better run out and take the initial on my 340 down from 22* to something safe because it might run hot... NOPE. It runs cool in ANY weather including the 115-120* days we have in my area. Mine have never run hotter with more initial and they sure don't gas people out because of nasty carb settings required by retarded initial timing settings. I don't pick an initial timing number willy-nilly, I let the engine tell me what it wants. My cars don't crank on the starter either, you bump the key and they fire RIGHT NOW! I was at spring fling and heard plenty of cars cranking on the starter for extended periods, or having to crack the throttle to start... wanna guess what a major cause of that is?

It's my OPINION that total method is rotten for street cars. Again, MY OPINION, It's the lazy way to do it. If idle quality doesn't matter, have at it with total method. Just like you think my method is less than ideal. More than one way to skin a cat. One MAJOR issue about total method, how much mechanical advance is in the distributor. Is mechanical 28* or 14* or 22* or 16*... you get the idea. Idle quality varies greatly with a range like that. I sure am glad that MSD includes those useless mechanical advance limiter bushings with their distributors, cause according to some, they just don't matter (total timing group).

One thing you can't argue with, if the engine picks up rpm as you advance the timing at idle, it's running more efficiently. Same as using a vacuum gauge to set initial, picks up vacuum, the engine wants it.

--------------------------------------------------

For the OP, there is a set screw which you need to access from the bottom to open/close the secondaries of the carb. Lots of times the secondary arm is actually seated on your baseplate, not the set screw. A cheat is to get some feeler gauges and shim it from the top. Once you get it close you can remove the carb and turn the screw up so it holds the secondaries open a bit more, close the primaries down.

If you have only 7" of vacuum at idle, that cam is pretty dang big with lots of overlap.

Good luck with it.

Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: RobX4406] #1220548
04/23/12 04:48 PM
04/23/12 04:48 PM
Iowa, US
oldsklharo Offline OP
enthusiast
oldsklharo  Offline OP
enthusiast

Iowa, US
Ok cool, how thick of feeler should I use to set the secondaries? .050, .060? I think I know where the set screw is but need to know how much they need to be open

Re: Hughes Torque Converter Break In Instructions??????? [Re: oldsklharo] #1220549
04/23/12 06:53 PM
04/23/12 06:53 PM
Its a TRAP!
DARTH V8Я Offline
DARTH V8Я  Offline

Its a TRAP!
Quote:

Ok cool, how thick of feeler should I use to set the secondaries? .050, .060? I think I know where the set screw is but need to know how much they need to be open

Oh God no! Lol! If I were to guess, maybe .005"-.006".. or so. Just so it raises you idle little. 100rpm(?).

Page 1 of 2 1 2