Anywhere the British Secret Se...
M
Moonraker Offline OP
mopar
Moonraker  Offline OP
mopar
M

Anywhere the British Secret Se...
Got the new/rebuilt 4 speed tranny in but I'm having an issue getting it in and out of reverse. Its tough to engage the reverse and when I do get it engaged it gets stuck. The shifter moves but the tranny stays in reverse and I had to crawl under and pop it out of reverse with a crescent wrench on the shift tab. All other gears work/shift fine so I'm not sure what the deal is. I thought I read a thread posted a long time ago where someone else was having a similiar problem and one of solutions to try was to loosen the side cover and give it a tap forwards or backwards or something and see if that helped. Any ideas

Re: Stuck in reverse?? [Re: Moonraker] #1214981
04/12/12 08:07 PM
04/12/12 08:07 PM
Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana
ProStDodge Offline
master
ProStDodge  Offline
master

Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana
Most likely the shifter linkage is out of adjustment. Usually there is a hole in the levers on the bottom of the shifter that you can install a pin in to keep the levers aligned in neutral. Then you adjust the shifter rods to slide easily onto the tabs on the transmission (with all the levers in the neutral position of course).

It is very unlikely the problem in inside the transmission.

Scott

Re: Stuck in reverse?? [Re: Moonraker] #1214982
04/12/12 11:02 PM
04/12/12 11:02 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Got the new/rebuilt 4 speed tranny in but I'm having an issue getting it in and out of reverse. Its tough to engage the reverse and when I do get it engaged it gets stuck. The shifter moves but the tranny stays in reverse and I had to crawl under and pop it out of reverse with a crescent wrench on the shift tab. All other gears work/shift fine so I'm not sure what the deal is. I thought I read a thread posted a long time ago where someone else was having a similiar problem and one of solutions to try was to loosen the side cover and give it a tap forwards or backwards or something and see if that helped. Any ideas

Yep

Loosen the cover slightly and tap the cover upward. Retighten the cover and you should be good to go.

MB