I Win
JohnRR  Online Rolleyes
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OH wow,....many THANKS for the pics!!
It appears my set up is exactly like yours (looking at your motor) EXCEPT on yours the stud poking thru the Ebrock Chrysler adapter is sitting to the right side on the slider bar, while mine sits to the left side on the slider bar….this is in idle position, why would mine be different? Also I have the slot on my kick down rod positioned so that its mounting bolt is slid all the way to the right end. Looks like yours is the same way? I just went for another short trip and the ol girl just has no giddiyap for some reason. No kick down action still, if I floor it at mid range (35-40 mph) the carb will open up (WAAAAAAHHHHH) but no gear change....its in drive (3rd gear) all the way up. I know she has some kick to her....

Did you get the slotted bar set up so tht it is like the picture i posted above ? If not then your not setup correctly and it will not do what you think it should do. It needs to be setup like it is in the picture above.

Keep on driving it the way it is and it won't be long before you are asking ...

Why does my trans only have 1st and 2nd gear ???

ARE YOU SURE???? I just got back from running her, I made the changes suggested by A12rag and WHAT a difference, (i also seem to have all gears as I tested that before even backing down the driveway (safety first, ya know) results: MORE POWER from the moment I pull out into traffic. The geometry of your setup looks identical to mine but for the difference in the position of the sliders (mine vs. yours). I don't know why that is, maybe could be that your car is OEM 4bbl and mine is not, the linkage setup might not work out to be exactly the same. If there is something still messed up I'll continue wringing it out...I still think there is still a little bit more thrust to be had...but this is way more like it. THANKS A12RAG

First off the picture is not mine , I pulled it off another thread .

I'd like to know how you tested all gears before backing down the driveway , did you do a brake stand and feel it actually shift thru all 3 gears ... safety first ... ??? shifting the shift lever thru the gears does not confirm that the trans is operating properly if the car is not DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD ...

Ok now that I have that out of my system.

The picture I posted above of the rod with the slot in it has to be as it in in the picture, if it is not then it is not connected properly and you are going to damage the transmission.

I looked at your picture again , the spring you have is too long and it's not pulling the rod that goes to the trans forward , if the rod going to the trans can not come forward then something is WRONG.

This is the problem when you mix parts from different cars. A friend of mine has a one piece setup he bought that he didn't end up using if you can't get the correct parts .

Re: 383 2bbl to 4bbl conversion [Re: JohnRR] #1213824
04/12/12 11:21 AM
04/12/12 11:21 AM
Sobieski Wi
B
bee1971 Offline
master
bee1971  Offline
master
B

Sobieski Wi
Like John has mentioned

Just to add

With the three piece adjustable kickdown linkage usually found on the 71 cars , that rod that attaches on the tranny came in different lengths depending on the motor - Also the bracket itself that attaches to the intake manifold was different between motors

So another words you can mismatch many pieces with the three piece setup like pictured because of all the variations between motors

1971 Dodge Charger Superbee
2011 Ram Sport 1500 Quad Cab Deep Water Blue Loaded
Siberian Huskies
Re: 383 2bbl to 4bbl conversion [Re: ChryslerDUDE] #1213825
04/12/12 11:33 AM
04/12/12 11:33 AM
Sobieski Wi
B
bee1971 Offline
master
bee1971  Offline
master
B

Sobieski Wi
Quote:

It appears my set up is exactly like yours (looking at your motor) EXCEPT on yours the stud poking thru the Ebrock Chrysler adapter is sitting to the right side on the slider bar, while mine sits to the left side on the slider bar….this is in idle position, why would mine be different? Also I have the slot on my kick down rod positioned so that its mounting bolt is slid all the way to the right end. Looks like yours is the same way? I just went for another short trip and the ol girl just has no giddiyap for some reason. No kick down action still, if I floor it at mid range (35-40 mph) the carb will open up (WAAAAAAHHHHH) but no gear change....its in drive (3rd gear) all the way up. I know she has some kick to her....

You have to adjust your linkage using that bolt on the slot - That tranny rod should not bee all the way forward when tightening that bolt

Looking at that picture you have alot of room to adjust as OTHERS HAVE MENTIONED

Doo a search with the directions out of the Chrysler Manual that came with that picture from the book

Last edited by bee1971; 04/12/12 11:40 AM.

Siberian Huskies
Re: 383 2bbl to 4bbl conversion [Re: JohnRR] #1213826
04/12/12 01:59 PM
04/12/12 01:59 PM
NJ
C
ChryslerDUDE Offline OP
ChryslerDUDE  Offline OP
C

NJ
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Did you get the slotted bar set up so tht it is like the picture i posted above ? If not then your not setup correctly and it will not do what you think it should do. It needs to be setup like it is in the picture above.

Keep on driving it the way it is and it won't be long before you are asking ...

Why does my trans only have 1st and 2nd gear ???

ARE YOU SURE???? I just got back from running her, I made the changes suggested by A12rag and WHAT a difference, (i also seem to have all gears as I tested that before even backing down the driveway (safety first, ya know) results: MORE POWER from the moment I pull out into traffic. The geometry of your setup looks identical to mine but for the difference in the position of the sliders (mine vs. yours). I don't know why that is, maybe could be that your car is OEM 4bbl and mine is not, the linkage setup might not work out to be exactly the same. If there is something still messed up I'll continue wringing it out...I still think there is still a little bit more thrust to be had...but this is way more like it. THANKS A12RAG

First off the picture is not mine , I pulled it off another thread .

I'd like to know how you tested all gears before backing down the driveway , did you do a brake stand and feel it actually shift thru all 3 gears ... safety first ... ??? shifting the shift lever thru the gears does not confirm that the trans is operating properly if the car is not DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD ...

Ok now that I have that out of my system.

The picture I posted above of the rod with the slot in it has to be as it in in the picture, if it is not then it is not connected properly and you are going to damage the transmission.

I looked at your picture again , the spring you have is too long and it's not pulling the rod that goes to the trans forward , if the rod going to the trans can not come forward then something is WRONG.

This is the problem when you mix parts from different cars. A friend of mine has a one piece setup he bought that he didn't end up using if you can't get the correct parts .

Oh, Ok… you posted that pic, and there was no disclaimer, so I assumed it was your ride. My apologies if that assumption was offensive (I thought it looked nice and I had pangs of jealousy, but whatever).
I will keep at this transmission thing until I get it solved…sadly I can see from the timbre of this discussion that egos are beginning to come into this and all I was looking for was a bit of advice since I’m not a full time mechanic just someone who digs spinning wrenches on Chrysler cars in my garage for time to time…I’m not stupid and I can read small print just fine. I will try all the suggestions that have just been posted thus far. Thanks.

Re: 383 2bbl to 4bbl conversion [Re: ChryslerDUDE] #1213827
04/12/12 02:52 PM
04/12/12 02:52 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Online rolleyes
I Win
JohnRR  Online Rolleyes
I Win

U.S.S.A.
It's nothing to do with the picture and definitely nothing to do with anyone answering the questions EGO ... the hard part is trying to diagnose the problem from 500 miles away and it seems like something is getting lost in the way things are being typed out.

Re: 383 2bbl to 4bbl conversion [Re: JohnRR] #1213828
04/12/12 06:13 PM
04/12/12 06:13 PM
NJ
C
ChryslerDUDE Offline OP
ChryslerDUDE  Offline OP
C

NJ
Quote:

It's nothing to do with the picture and definitely nothing to do with anyone answering the questions EGO ... the hard part is trying to diagnose the problem from 500 miles away and it seems like something is getting lost in the way things are being typed out.

O.k. I can agree to that. I think I can get this figured out what with the suggestions shot at me so far.....but I'll admit I would have never guess doing a 2bbl to 4bbl swap on a big block car would have been so involved.

Re: 383 2bbl to 4bbl conversion [Re: ChryslerDUDE] #1213829
04/12/12 06:36 PM
04/12/12 06:36 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Online rolleyes
I Win
JohnRR  Online Rolleyes
I Win

U.S.S.A.
What you need is the procedure to adjust the linkage from the Factory service manual , I don't have it , my manual only covers cars with 3 piece linkage .

Re: 383 2bbl to 4bbl conversion [Re: JohnRR] #1213830
04/12/12 09:41 PM
04/12/12 09:41 PM
NJ
C
ChryslerDUDE Offline OP
ChryslerDUDE  Offline OP
C

NJ
Quote:

What you need is the procedure to adjust the linkage from the Factory service manual , I don't have it , my manual only covers cars with 3 piece linkage .

I do have a 1970 factory shop manual for Chrysler/Imperial cars, but interestingly enough it does not show the configuration I should have. I guess it wouldn't though since this is a "swap" deal...but I think the culprit is my kick down bar might be too short and that is why my carb stud is not positioned to where it should be in an idle state/parked state (as what is shown in the pic you posted).

Re: 383 2bbl to 4bbl conversion [Re: ChryslerDUDE] #1213831
04/12/12 10:43 PM
04/12/12 10:43 PM
Sobieski Wi
B
bee1971 Offline
master
bee1971  Offline
master
B

Sobieski Wi
"Also I have the slot on my kick down rod positioned so that its mounting bolt is slid all the way to the right end."

Loosen mounting bolt , slide it all the way to the left end.

This will make the rod longer , start from there as this should bring the bar closer to the carb stud with the proper length spring.

Siberian Huskies
Re: 383 2bbl to 4bbl conversion [Re: bee1971] #1213832
04/12/12 11:16 PM
04/12/12 11:16 PM
NJ
C
ChryslerDUDE Offline OP
ChryslerDUDE  Offline OP
C

NJ
Quote:

"Also I have the slot on my kick down rod positioned so that its mounting bolt is slid all the way to the right end."

Loosen mounting bolt , slide it all the way to the left end.

This will make the rod longer , start from there as this should bring the bar closer to the carb stud with the proper length spring.

Yeah, already did that(while holding the throttle all the way open) but I still think maybe its not long enough.

Re: 383 2bbl to 4bbl conversion [Re: ChryslerDUDE] #1213833
04/13/12 03:20 PM
04/13/12 03:20 PM
NJ
C
ChryslerDUDE Offline OP
ChryslerDUDE  Offline OP
C

NJ
and now as if that weren't enough, I think my fuel pump is failing. 0-2psi registering on my under hood fuel pressure gauge (last wk it was a good steady 5 psi). I can see barely half the amount of fuel going through my FRAM filter...driving around today there is a definite loss of power on the low end, until she gets some steam up....and to think I was just considering getting a brand new one:. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!

Re: 383 2bbl to 4bbl conversion [Re: ChryslerDUDE] #1213834
04/13/12 04:43 PM
04/13/12 04:43 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Online rolleyes
I Win
JohnRR  Online Rolleyes
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

and now as if that weren't enough, I think my fuel pump is failing. 0-2psi registering on my under hood fuel pressure gauge (last wk it was a good steady 5 psi). I can see barely half the amount of fuel going through my FRAM filter...driving around today there is a definite loss of power on the low end, until she gets some steam up....and to think I was just considering getting a brand new one:. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!

You really need to STOP driving it till you have that linkage fixed , you are going to burn up the trans .

Page 2 of 2 1 2