04/06/12 03:32 PM
04/06/12 03:32 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline OP
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline OP
"Little"John

PA.
Whiskyrunner (Matt) and I started on his engine rebuild this week and I told him that I won't be around forever so it was time for him to totally rebuild his engine. It was the same engine out of his car and had 3-4 seasons on it so it was ready to freshen it up. We sent out the crank to be maged and it needed cut .010 and new fully grooved bearings were ordered. We honed and cleaned the block and washed the crank and I taught him how to us mics to check his rod and main clearances. We had to clearance the thrust bearing as it was tight. Now the problem. I was showing him how to check ring clearances and how to file fit rings. We used our ring squaring tool to place the rings in the bore and when Matt checked the gap clearance with feeler gauges he found the rings were tapered .003-.005 on the ring ends. It was bad enough that when he took a close look you could see it with the naked eye. This was a set of Hastings Rings and I have been using them in my last 5 builds with no issues. Its not a major problem if you know to look for it but it needs addressed. He had to square up both sides before setting the gap we wanted. Sorry this is so long but keep your eyes open.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Check your piston rings boys and girls (long) [Re: pittsburghracer] #1211000
04/06/12 06:13 PM
04/06/12 06:13 PM
Clinton Twp... north of Deetro...
L
Labratt Offline
Good Ol Randy B!
Labratt  Offline
Good Ol Randy B!
L

Clinton Twp... north of Deetro...
Thanks for that info,John! I will be file-fitting rings shortly...for a 440 re-freshening!

Re: Check your piston rings boys and girls (long) [Re: pittsburghracer] #1211001
04/06/12 09:00 PM
04/06/12 09:00 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Quote:

Whiskyrunner (Matt) and I started on his engine rebuild this week and I told him that I won't be around forever so it was time for him to totally rebuild his engine. It was the same engine out of his car and had 3-4 seasons on it so it was ready to freshen it up. We sent out the crank to be maged and it needed cut .010 and new fully grooved bearings were ordered. We honed and cleaned the block and washed the crank and I taught him how to us mics to check his rod and main clearances. We had to clearance the thrust bearing as it was tight. Now the problem. I was showing him how to check ring clearances and how to file fit rings. We used our ring squaring tool to place the rings in the bore and when Matt checked the gap clearance with feeler gauges he found the rings were tapered .003-.005 on the ring ends. It was bad enough that when he took a close look you could see it with the naked eye. This was a set of Hastings Rings and I have been using them in my last 5 builds with no issues. Its not a major problem if you know to look for it but it needs addressed. He had to square up both sides before setting the gap we wanted. Sorry this is so long but keep your eyes open.

I have seen 'file fit' rings that way alot. It is the installer's job to set the gap AND make sure the ends are as square as possible.

If you like drag racing, support your local track.