Anywhere the British Secret Se...
M
Moonraker Offline OP
mopar
Moonraker  Offline OP
mopar
M

Anywhere the British Secret Se...
I inherited a Powercraft 230amp arc or stick welder from my grandpa when he died a couple of years back but its just been sitting in my garage since then and sat even longer in his by the looks of the dust on the thing. Its in great shape and I wanted to resurrect it and use it for little jobs around the garage and welding heavier steel and such. Not that familiar with stick welding I've done mostly MIG and a little TIG but would like to give this a go. My buddy is a professional welder and said that thing is a piece of s#$t and to throw it away or give it away and go buy something more modern. But heck it still works and it was my grandpa's so I hate to part with it if it still has a useful purpose especially welding outdoors on things. Should I just plug it in and go or clean it up some first? I also got a boatload of welding rods but they are pretty old mostly 7018 and 6011 I believe and have been stored in plastic containers. The rods dont look rusty and the coating isnt crumbling off the outside so I'm hoping they are still good to use. I know it creates to much heat to weld automotive sheet metal but i was maybe gonna give it a go putting in my subframe connectors. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Moonraker; 03/29/12 05:29 PM.
Re: Anyone familiar with the old Powercraft welders? [Re: Moonraker] #1205918
03/29/12 07:55 PM
03/29/12 07:55 PM
West Tennessee
R
rbstroker Offline
super stock
rbstroker  Offline
super stock
R

West Tennessee
I have an old Mongomery Ward 295 amp stick welder that I bought new in the 70's. Also have the rectifier with it so I have the option of DC or AC. I assume that it still works very well for heavier material, but I honestly have only used it once in the last 20 years, when I bought my MIG welder.