03/27/12 11:52 AM
03/27/12 11:52 AM
Franklin Co. Illinois
runinonmt Offline
mopar
runinonmt  Offline
mopar

Franklin Co. Illinois
Tramline as i train. It tries to follow a groove. Now back to the real problem. You have all of the advice you need now it's time to get busy. I suggest that if you plan to keep this setup you go over it all in detial. The 4-wheel guys beat on adapters mercilessly and have few problems if they are of quality. I suspect something is loose or bottomed out. My Stepson had a problem like this. It turned out to be the mag wheel nuts on his Magnum 500's bottomed out before completely tightening the front wheels. Check the bore size of the adapter,make sure it fits the hub and slides all of the way on. Make sure the lug nuts aren't bottomed out. What condition is the rest of the suspension in? Keep looking,you'll find it then wait for the Gibbs head slap.
Ron

In sixty-five I was seventeen and running up one-o-one I don't know where I'm running now, I'm just running on Jackson Browne-Running On Empty
Re: Wheel change / adapters now car darts [Re: Kern Dog] #1203009
03/27/12 12:34 PM
03/27/12 12:34 PM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

Quote:

the front tends to tramline and try follow the ruts worn into roads

Tramline? How is it that I have never heard this term? Being on the west coast, I've heard terms like "bitchin", "far out", "radical".....The Boston guys say stuff like.."That car is wicked fast!"
Tramline....Hmmm. Oh, I run a 275 40 18 in the front of the Charger. I don't know what tramlinning is, but I doubt that my car does that. It steers where I want it, when I want it. NO wandering and NO following ruts or cracks in the road.

here in MI we have a lot of overloaded semi's, and on asphalt highways, you tend to get ruts/dips where the road actually sinks from the heavy weight traffic. doesn't happen on concrete surfaces. my 5th ave, with the 255/50R17's would on certain roads kind of wander/dart back and forth as it tried to follow the ruts, as the ruts weren't quite the same track width as the car. my friend's 1996 impala SS with the same tires (and replacement 275/45R17's) was worse on these roads...the effect was still there, but not nearly as pronounced with the 205/75R15 snow tires. with the 255/50's, you could let go of the wheel on one stretch of US31, and the car would dart back and forth about 8", violently enough that it felt like you were going to jump into the next lane, but it would never waver out of the ruts. this phenomenon is tramlining

I have a feeling a little more toe in, and probably more caster would help things.

I know a lot of older cars like late 60's B's call for neutral to slightly toe out with their original alignment specs, which can really make a car feel skittish. these attributes get magnified with wider rubber.

Last edited by patrick; 03/27/12 12:35 PM.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Page 2 of 2 1 2