03/25/12 02:15 AM
03/25/12 02:15 AM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline OP
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline OP
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
I have a s/b Chall T/A that I use for auto-x and hi-speed road course lapping sessions, as well as a little street/hwy driving. My ~25 yrold mechanical pump has just sprung a leak, so, I'll be replacing the pump. I've always had the filter BEFORE the pump (I know that's not stock, but neither is the car). Does it realy make any difference if the fuel filter is positioned BEFORE the mechanical pump, or, is there a better reason for it be positioned AFTER the pump (between the pump and the carb... maybe only for easier install/removal?)?

Also, any thumbs up/down on using the Carter race-mechanical pump (~$80-90) instead of an OE-type pump (~$40)? I never had any problems with the OE-type mechanical pump (and the filter being installed just before the pump).

Thanks ahead!

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: Fuel Filter Location - before or after mechanical pump? [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1202973
03/25/12 02:25 AM
03/25/12 02:25 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
I run the hi po non race pump. Whatever that is. One above stock I guess.

I ran 3/8" fuel line and sending unit. Tim Herren has said he has run fuel starved at the end of the long straight at the race track.

I also ran fire sleeve over everything near heat to keep from fuel percolation.

7134461-2_25_11Sm28.JPG (424 downloads)
Last edited by autoxcuda; 03/25/12 02:35 AM.
Re: Fuel Filter Location - before or after mechanical pump? [Re: autoxcuda] #1202974
03/25/12 02:31 AM
03/25/12 02:31 AM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline OP
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline OP
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
Hi Steve, Thanks for the reply. I see the pump (that's the one I'm thinking of installing) on your pic... and the different routing of the fuel line up to the carb, along with the top-mounted filter. nice pic!

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: Fuel Filter Location - before or after mechanical pump? [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1202975
03/25/12 02:45 AM
03/25/12 02:45 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Hi Steve, Thanks for the reply. I see the pump (that's the one I'm thinking of installing) on your pic... and the different routing of the fuel line up to the carb, along with the top-mounted filter. nice pic!

The concept of the fuel line routing is to avoid turbulent fuel flow from sharp turns and avoiding heat sources.

When you run the stock routing between the alternator and motor I would have had to run a 90 degree fitting of the fuel pump. And our theory (could be wrong) was that liquid fuel making a sharp 90 degree turn out of the pump could cause fluid cavitation, causing airation, then more tendency to cause vapor when heated.

Also the fuel line has smoother more gradual curves up to the carb.

Running the fuel line around the outside of the alternator gets it away from the that heat trap between the alternator, block and water pump housing. Also on the outside you get some air flow past the line, where as with the stock routing air flow is stopped by the block.

I could get away with running the line around the alternator because it's that mini Nippondenso alternator off a Suzuki Samauri.

Re: Fuel Filter Location - before or after mechanical pump? [Re: autoxcuda] #1202976
03/25/12 08:18 AM
03/25/12 08:18 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Normally there is a coarse filter before the pump... the fuel sock fills this need on a stock setup. A coarse (100 micton) screen type filter can also be used in place of the sock.

The final filter is after the pump. It creates some flow restriction. If it is on the suction side of the pump it could cause vapor lock and stop the fun... thus the common practice to put the final filter after the pump.

Re: Fuel Filter Location - before or after mechanical pump? [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1202977
03/25/12 01:24 PM
03/25/12 01:24 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Online content
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Online Content
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
100 micron before the mech pump 10 micron hi capacity between pump/carb. I would check pump pressures (A) at idle and (B) at the end of the straight with your pump selection. Dont want to overpower the needle/seat at (A) and at least need several psi at (B)

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth