03/23/12 11:12 PM
03/23/12 11:12 PM
Ft. Worth Texas
F
Fredmopar Offline OP
Fredmopar  Offline OP
F

Ft. Worth Texas
What would be the easiest 5.9 Magnum engine and auto transmission combo to swap into a 66 or 67 B body that originally was a poly 318 A engine with TF auto, column shift?

A company close to me has many different engines reasonably priced with wire harness and computer as a package deal.

Many with reasonable miles and I'd like to upgrade and give this combo a try. The more bang for the buck the better. Any and all advise and suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Engine swap question [Re: Fredmopar] #1202168
03/23/12 11:50 PM
03/23/12 11:50 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

really, who?
would be interested to know.

I run a 2000 5.9 out of a durango, but kept the 727 that was original to my car. 65 coronet.

aftermarket efi, so not the original computer.
but if they sell the harness and computer cheap, to control the transmission, might look into it.

the 518 will take some work to get it to fit from what I understand, and the company that made the efi harness didn't support the transmission.

that being said, I guess it depends on what they are offering.
stand alone computers? factory?

factory, as I understand the odb I pre 96 are the easier to integrate into an older car. the transmission would be an RH vs RE and would require some aftermarket pressure sensors to turn on and off stuff.

if they figured out the factory one for 98 and up, then get the newer 518 re transmission since it will be easier to find replacements later.

as for fitment, the engines bolt right in no matter what you pick.
I had to mod the throttle cable some to get it to work with my gas pedal, but that was minor.

it is the trans that will hurt to fit, and that isn't going to be easy no matter which version you put in.