03/19/12 06:44 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

Matt, if you go the lino route, you might want to run a molding around the perimeter; keeps things from rolling off, and will keep the edges from curling up. Look for something with an L shape, aluminum, kind of like the old formica tops used to use.

Hmm, the L would keep stuff from rolling off pretty well

I ended up wrapping it over the edge and gluing it there. I could still get a couple ratchet straps around the back of the bench, and strapped a 2x4 to the front edge to keep it down while the glue dried.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: Bench top sealing [Re: MadMatt] #1197510
03/20/12 11:45 AM
03/20/12 11:45 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
When I was laying out Andrewh's work bench, I picked up a sheet of 14 gauge steel. We cut it to size using an abrasive disc in a circular saw. We left enough overhang to fold it down over the sides. After that, we drilled small holes in it and used button head screws to hold the steel to the sides of the table.
That bench was made entirely out of reclaimed 2x6 lumber and is a BEAST. He'll have to try hard to kill it.

The abrasive disc in a circular saw works great on sheet steel if you keep the blade depth shallow. It cuts pretty fast.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Bench top sealing [Re: topside] #1197511
03/20/12 07:16 PM
03/20/12 07:16 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Quote:

Matt, if you go the lino route, you might want to run a molding around the perimeter; keeps things from rolling off, and will keep the edges from curling up. Look for something with an L shape, aluminum, kind of like the old formica tops used to use.

Decided to go the vinyl sheet flooring route. Went to Home Depot and picked up a remnant more than big enough for 24 bucks. After I glue it down I'll get some aluminum angle for the edges and fire up the saw.

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Page 2 of 2 1 2