03/04/12 07:10 PM
03/04/12 07:10 PM
Cooperstown, NY
jrlegacy23 Offline OP
mopar
jrlegacy23  Offline OP
mopar

Cooperstown, NY
When I was looking to get shocks for my 72 Dart, I seen that summit had adjustable drag shocks. The adjustable ratios for front shocks were 90/10, 80/20, and 60/40. For the rear shocks, the available ratios were 70/30, 60/40, and 50/50. (extend/compress)
Not that I am looking to have drag shocks put on for handling, it just made me think. What ratio is ideal for an autocross event, and what rate is ideal for regular road driving?
Thanks for any info

[color:"#00FF00"]68 Fastback Barracuda with some stuff[/color]

Re: What shock rates are good for cornering [Re: jrlegacy23] #1191143
03/04/12 07:53 PM
03/04/12 07:53 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Drag racing is a different game. Those 90/10 are for the front wheels to go down with little damping as the nose is rising. Then be nicely damped as the nose comes down. Safer to be slightly over damped than under damped. Underdamped would be if the nose bounced back up - even just once. Nobody wants to see that! Similar concept on the rear, some cars might want to reduce the dampening of the rise of the rear on launch.

Serious autocross gurus don't have one magic compression/rebound relationship but its much closer to 50/50. They frequently use shocks like penske and koni double adjustables. Some have remote resevoirs. We're talking big bucks and a bit of a black art. Adjustments are then made to event conditions. For us less experienced, the advice often given is to leave compression alone and experiment mostly with the rebound. In fact thats the way many single adjustables are set up (eg SPAX).

Re: What shock rates are good for cornering [Re: Mattax] #1191144
03/04/12 11:32 PM
03/04/12 11:32 PM
Cooperstown, NY
jrlegacy23 Offline OP
mopar
jrlegacy23  Offline OP
mopar

Cooperstown, NY
Thanks for the info. I am more curious of what non-adjustable shocks are at, I would imagine a 50/50 like you were saying. I ordered the edelbrocks a couple weeks ago, I am getting money back as they were only able to get 1. I am looking to get shocks that won't break the bank. I paid $47 for the Eddy's and wanted to stay in the same price range.

Re: What shock rates are good for cornering [Re: jrlegacy23] #1191145
03/05/12 11:21 AM
03/05/12 11:21 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
For most of us layman out there playing with our toys, the 50/50 ratio is fine. In relation to the actual rate of dampening required, that really depends on springs rates, tire construction, and unsprung weight. However, most bolt in mopar shock providers are not going to have that much detail to provide on their dampners, even if you knew the specific rates of dampening you were trying to target.

Yes, tuning to alterations in both compression and rebound can make a car faster, but with the multitude of adjustments in such a unit, it is much easier to loose your bearings than it is to make the car faster, unless you have a lot of specific application experience with that specific car. If you plan on goin this route, I'd receommend starting with a single adjustable unit first.

Re: What shock rates are good for cornering [Re: TC@HP2] #1191146
03/05/12 12:57 PM
03/05/12 12:57 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
I am not trying to make fun of the OP, but I would frame the question similar to, "I bought a guitar, which strings do I pluck first?"

The answer that no here knows other then mainly the suggestion in the post above, nobody exactly knows.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: What shock rates are good for cornering [Re: jcc] #1191147
03/05/12 01:37 PM
03/05/12 01:37 PM
Cooperstown, NY
jrlegacy23 Offline OP
mopar
jrlegacy23  Offline OP
mopar

Cooperstown, NY
Quote:

I am not trying to make fun of the OP, but I would frame the question similar to, "I bought a guitar, which strings do I pluck first?"

The answer that no here knows other then mainly the suggestion in the post above, nobody exactly knows.

The post is not, "I bought a car, what shocks do I put on it?" It is simply what are shocks extend and compression ratios.
Seriously though, this is exactly what I stopped posting on Moparts for such a long time. Most have computers and don't have reading comprehsion skills. I understand you have been trying to use that analogy for some time and thought it fit, but if you do not have any useful info, please do not respond, it is not helpful.
Thank you

Re: What shock rates are good for cornering [Re: jrlegacy23] #1191148
03/05/12 04:12 PM
03/05/12 04:12 PM
Woodinville, WA
Viol8r Offline
super stock
Viol8r  Offline
super stock

Woodinville, WA
I hear ya. Hang in there.

If you give us some more info.....i.e. Torsions, rear springs, tire combo, we may be able to give you a better answer.

There are a few guys that like to get on their soap boxes on here and are generally thread killers, but usually you can find the right answer eventually.

1968 Pro-Touring Dodge Charger
*2011 Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge Invitee
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html
Re: What shock rates are good for cornering [Re: jrlegacy23] #1191149
03/05/12 09:09 PM
03/05/12 09:09 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

The post is not, "I bought a car, what shocks do I put on it?" It is simply what are shocks extend and compression ratios.
Seriously though, this is exactly what I stopped posting on Moparts for such a long time. Most have computers and don't have reading comprehsion skills. I understand you have been trying to use that analogy for some time and thought it fit, but if you do not have any useful info, please do not respond, it is not helpful.
Thank you

Thank you explaining what your really post is about, because seriously, my first answer is still pretty on is pretty much on target.

I would also disagree with you as to any shortcomings of most moparts members regarding reading comprehension, I think an area that comes up shorter is, "critical thinking"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_thinking

If you have anything to add to the discussion, you can have the soap box back

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: What shock rates are good for cornering [Re: Viol8r] #1191150
03/05/12 09:14 PM
03/05/12 09:14 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Yup. Moving right along, lets revisit the first question as it pertains to the second.

The compression/rebound relationship is just one way to describe a shock's performance. Further in to shock tech there are more specific characteristics used to describe the performance. One is control. So for example the Direct Connection Oval Track Book has bullitens relating spring rate to shock control rates depending on various factors. (This bulletin is very application specific, not for street or road race or street. I'm just using it as an example).

Moving toward your second question, if there is a big change in spring rate or weight then shock characteristics need to be changed to match. But if your car has fairly stock spring rates and weight, then a true replacement shock will be a good match. 'True' because the aftermarket often cheaps out by offering one size fits all. Sometimes its good enough and sometimes its not.

That gets to the second question, and I really can't answer that one. What is 'good enough' for one person may not be for another. Since I was autocrossing, but not in a fully developed car, I was in a different market. So while I wasn't willing to by the most expensive shocks, I was willing to spend some money. Also I did need something to handle the high spring rates and be somewhat tunable.

Other factors you might consider:
Is the same shock sold for your car also used on every model and engine option it physically fits?
What's it made of and how much does it weigh?
Exchange policy if it fails?
If the car is lowered and bump stops cut, will the shock bottom out?

Re: What shock rates are good for cornering [Re: Mattax] #1191151
03/05/12 10:54 PM
03/05/12 10:54 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
A shocks valving is important to performance for sure. Another thing to consider is a twin tube vs. mono tube. Some twin tubes provide all the performance a street car would ever need. Stepping up to a mono tube you get more fluid volume and a bigger piston. With that comes more fade resistance,better heat control and repeatability. I would love to see a mono tube,rebuildable and revalvable shock for our cars.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: What shock rates are good for cornering [Re: 72Swinger] #1191152
03/06/12 01:03 AM
03/06/12 01:03 AM
Woodinville, WA
Viol8r Offline
super stock
Viol8r  Offline
super stock

Woodinville, WA
Quote:

A shocks valving is important to performance for sure. Another thing to consider is a twin tube vs. mono tube. Some twin tubes provide all the performance a street car would ever need. Stepping up to a mono tube you get more fluid volume and a bigger piston. With that comes more fade resistance,better heat control and repeatability. I would love to see a mono tube,rebuildable and revalvable shock for our cars.

Talk to Ridetech. I have rebuildable 26 way adjustable monotube shocks on my car. They will even put stock mounts on for you.

1968 Pro-Touring Dodge Charger
*2011 Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge Invitee
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html
Re: What shock rates are good for cornering [Re: jrlegacy23] #1191153
03/06/12 02:10 AM
03/06/12 02:10 AM
Thigh-Gap Junction
@
@#$%&*! Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@#$%&*!  Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@

Thigh-Gap Junction
As a first course in understanding what a 'shock absorber' really does start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping

Re: What shock rates are good for cornering [Re: Viol8r] #1191154
03/06/12 02:41 AM
03/06/12 02:41 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
I cant even afford Bilsteins right now bro, but thanks for the hook up anyway!

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: What shock rates are good for cornering [Re: 72Swinger] #1191155
03/06/12 03:23 PM
03/06/12 03:23 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

...and in the valving department you have linear rates, digressive rates, and progressive rates. All manufacturers have a rating method too, whether it is 1-9 or 500 to 1000. Its all arbritrary when comparing brands anyway, but if you can quote off wheel rates and usage, they can tell what the magic number is your trying to match up to. Suffice it to say it is more complex than most of us will ever be able to just spout out and I'd highly recommend speaking to a shock manufacturer about the specifics of valving you would need if your going to this level of performance. You'll save yourself loads of time, trouble, and money doing that.

Yes, there is also the twin tube vs mono tube layout on top of that, but there isn't a huge increase in fluid volume from a twin tube to mono tube. Yes, there is a difference, and in a competition environment where they get used hard, this may make a difference. For most street cars, probably not. I'd almost go so far to say that a twin tube would be preferable on the street because of the "set it and forget it" mentality of most drivers. A mono tube can be ruined by a small ding in the body from flying road debris. A twin tube, on the other hand,can absorb some level of damage before shock performance is impacted. If your inspecting all yoru components regularly, then a mono-tube is great. If you don't bother to look at stuf funless its broken, thena twin tube may be the better approach.

There are mono tube, rebuildable, revalveable shocks out there that can be found for under $150 a piece. There are similar twin tube designs for under $100. However, you have to be willing to look at bearing end shocks or GM style mounts and adapt the mounts to fit your car. You are not going to find a stock mount, bolt in, original appearance, adjsutable, rebuildable shock for $50 each that meets all that criteria. Now, you can find high quality, fixed valving, steel body, non rebuildable shocks for $50 easily, but mounting will not be stock mopar. You can adapt these to a mopar, but you need to put on the creative hat to figure it out. First generation Camaro front shocks are very similar to the front mopar units. Bearing end shocks are a quick adapt to the mopar rear.