03/03/12 01:07 PM
03/03/12 01:07 PM
Alaska
73rrak Offline OP
enthusiast
73rrak  Offline OP
enthusiast

Alaska
I have a stock distributor on a not so stock 440 and need to get the dist setup for this motor. I'm looking for some info on how to do it. I've seen posts on re-curving the advance but of course when I searched the archives for it I cant find anything. Does anybody have good detailed info on how to do it ?

Re: Distributor advance re- curve info needed [Re: 73rrak] #1190278
03/03/12 01:26 PM
03/03/12 01:26 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
General method seems to be...

Advance the timing at idle, while constantly lowering the idle speed to keep it in spec, to the highest vacuum reading. Then back the timing off 1"hg lower than the max. It should end up around 10-20*.

Limit the total advance by shortening the slots in the distributor, according to this thread.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=4#Post4774218

Play with the springs so the advance comes on as fast as possible without pinging on a hot day.

Then if you have vacuum advance you can hook it up and tune it as well.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: Distributor advance re- curve info needed [Re: 73rrak] #1190279
03/03/12 01:35 PM
03/03/12 01:35 PM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
The slots for the advance are made shorter, usually by welding a portion closed. This will reduce the total mechanical advance so you can use more initial advance without having too much total advance. A quick check of the amount of mechanical advance can be done with a degree wheel on the dist rotor and the shaft held from turning in a vice. Turn the rotor till it stops and measure the number of degrees it turned, then double that number to get advance in crankshaft degrees. Example, 10-degrees measured at the dist is 20-degrees at the crank. Anyhow, that is how the total mechanical advance is set. The next step is to use lighter advance springs, so the rate of advance can be set. This will depend on the engine, converter, gearing, vehicle weight, etc. You can mix different springs to get the rate you need. The last part is the vacuum advance. There should be an advance number stamped on the arm coming out of the vacuum canister telling how many degrees it can add. This can be changed my modifying stop on the arm, but usually nobody bothers messing with it because the spring tension of the vacuum diphram can be adjusted with a hex wrench through the nipple of the canister. This can be adjusted to the vacuum level you want to have the vacuum advance come in at. A might-vac vacuum tester is nice to have when adjusting this.