03/02/12 04:31 PM
03/02/12 04:31 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Secret Chimp Offline OP
super stock
Secret Chimp  Offline OP
super stock

Eugene, Oregon
I want to take care of some of the mild rust on the insides of my wagon before it gets to the cancer level. I don't have any exterior rust save for the bottom of the spare tire well, but when I thumped my rear quarters with the body plugs taken out I got a good cup's worth of rust chips from the insides. I imagine the insides of my doors are roughly in the same shape. I don't have the means to tear my car apart and repaint it, so I want to take care of this stuff on an area-treatment basis.

I've read up on different products and it sounds like an effective and cheap first step would be some phosphoric acid - just put it in one of those pump-up pesticide sprayers with a four-hole cross tip and squirt away.

I've also had oil-type products like Waxoyl recommended but I'm not sure if that would be good as a step 1 or a step 2 final protection measure.

1967 Dodge Coronet Deluxe station wagon

1.03" T-bars, QA1 arms/rods, Cordoba/GM Metric/Volare brake & knuckle, XHDs, Hellwig rear sway, 318 Magnum w/ air gap, 727, 3.23s
Re: Non-restoration-level rustproofing? [Re: Secret Chimp] #1189727
03/02/12 05:28 PM
03/02/12 05:28 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Do the acid first to help neutralize the rust, then the oil. Won't stop it completely but should help slow it down.

Re: Non-restoration-level rustproofing? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #1189728
03/02/12 06:10 PM
03/02/12 06:10 PM
Florida
BDW Offline
master
BDW  Offline
master

Florida
Ospho is what you need, you can get it at Ace HW.

http://www.ospho.com/

Re: Non-restoration-level rustproofing? [Re: Secret Chimp] #1189729
03/02/12 09:12 PM
03/02/12 09:12 PM
Seattle, WA.
E
edp Offline
enthusiast
edp  Offline
enthusiast
E

Seattle, WA.
do with this what you will but these guys are serious pro level painters, I'd head their advice.

read this thread on rust proofing & Ospho before doing anything. A wire wheel to clean out the rust in the pits if there's any collected is best then epoxy paint it.Do your self a favor & dont put acid treatments & oil coatings in your car, if you ever want to repaint it you've screwed yourself. You can wire wheel off the rust & spot spray epoxy or even brush it on.

http://www.spiuserforum.com/showthread.php?8-What-every-new-painter-must-read!&highlight=ospho

Last edited by edp; 03/02/12 09:15 PM.
Re: Non-restoration-level rustproofing? [Re: edp] #1189730
03/02/12 10:04 PM
03/02/12 10:04 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Ospho is phosphoric acid, as is rust-mort, and MANY other brands, including the old Naval Jelly (Naval Jelly is weak though).

Yes it works, and a follow up with oil (in the case of the OP's daily driver) is a good idea. If you have access above the area you could also pour POR15 and let it flow---POR15 will flow REALLY well, and effectively seal the backside from further moisture.

Not a total cure-all, but it will slow things down big time

Re: Non-restoration-level rustproofing? [Re: edp] #1189731
03/02/12 11:06 PM
03/02/12 11:06 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Secret Chimp Offline OP
super stock
Secret Chimp  Offline OP
super stock

Eugene, Oregon
Quote:

do with this what you will but these guys are serious pro level painters, I'd head their advice.

read this thread on rust proofing & Ospho before doing anything. A wire wheel to clean out the rust in the pits if there's any collected is best then epoxy paint it.Do your self a favor & dont put acid treatments & oil coatings in your car, if you ever want to repaint it you've screwed yourself. You can wire wheel off the rust & spot spray epoxy or even brush it on.

http://www.spiuserforum.com/showthread.php?8-What-every-new-painter-must-read!&highlight=ospho

Regardless of any effects down the line for deeper work I go for, I want to nip any rust in the bud. Buggering with paint is a better option to me than repairing rear quarters on a station wagon (parts from on back of the rear doors are almost impossible to find).

Though I do see the problem with using oils and then attempting to paint later (like 20 years from now when I have that kind of money).

However I don't really understand why Ospho by itself would be a problem for painting. It seems like the remarks regarding epoxy or fillers are for situations when Ospho was over-applied and left behind in its original acid form, not after reacting to make iron phosphate. If I use that stuff, shoot a garden hose up in through the body plug the next day to rinse off any unreacted acid, dry it, and then fog the inside of the panel with some primer and paint, wouldn't that be effective and safe for any future complete repaint I do on this car?

1967 Dodge Coronet Deluxe station wagon

1.03" T-bars, QA1 arms/rods, Cordoba/GM Metric/Volare brake & knuckle, XHDs, Hellwig rear sway, 318 Magnum w/ air gap, 727, 3.23s
Re: Non-restoration-level rustproofing? [Re: Secret Chimp] #1189732
03/02/12 11:16 PM
03/02/12 11:16 PM
Florida
BDW Offline
master
BDW  Offline
master

Florida
Quote:

It seems like the remarks regarding epoxy or fillers are for situations when Ospho was over-applied and left behind in its original acid form, not after reacting to make iron phosphate.

Bingo, Ospho works but if it doesn't react and turn white, it remains a semi-liquid form that must be removed before painting. No rocket science here, it's a chemical reaction.

Re: Non-restoration-level rustproofing? [Re: Secret Chimp] #1189733
03/03/12 12:55 PM
03/03/12 12:55 PM
NewEngland ( Ma, Ct )
M
MoparJoeMA Offline
MoparJoeMA  Offline
M

NewEngland ( Ma, Ct )
Get yourself a bottle of Rust-Mort and a trigger sprayer, Clean it up a bit if you can get to it, spray it with the rustmort per directions.
It will convert it and then you can oil it, prime it do what ever you want with it.Its cost effective easy to work with and it works great.

And if you have future paint work to do down the line it won't be a problem. Use it all the time in the shop. Yoour other option is rustmort it them get some LPS3-kinda like a cosmoline and spray it with that.