02/27/12 06:35 AM
02/27/12 06:35 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Hello, I'm installing a used GV from a friend that decided to convert his Challenger to a 5 speed manual.
My car is a '70 Charger. Every reference that I have read about these units mentions the need to dimple the tunnel for clearance of 2 nubs in the GV case. Oddly, MY case clears by a large amount. I have seen pictures of other b body installations and they all show the GV unit tucked up higher. I measured from the headers to the floor as a reference before and after swapping the unit in and the motor/trans are in the same position. This GV unit is one of their early units. Maybe they made some changes to the trans mounting pad?
The trans crossmember will not fit with the added girth of the extension housing, it hangs about an inch below its stock position. Something is obviously wrong. My options that I am aware of include:
1) Modify the crossmember with the GV/trans in its current position.
2) Raise the tail end of the GV/trans until it sits within 1/4" of the tunnel and modify the crossmember to fit via hogging out the mounting holes.
My question is with the acceptable angle of the GV/trans though. The car is lowered as you see in the pics, so it's not as if I will have the extreme driveshaft angles that would be present in a truck or van.
I may call the guys at GV tomorrow, but I feel a bit of a cheapskate since I bought this one used. I'd like to hear from customers if I could.... Thanks guys!

7092500-494.JPG (260 downloads)
Re: Gear Vendors installation problem [Re: Kern Dog] #1187030
02/27/12 07:46 AM
02/27/12 07:46 AM
AZ
Mike P Offline
pro stock
Mike P  Offline
pro stock

AZ
If the motor and transmission was properly installed in the first place (which I assume it was) then that is where it needs to be when you are done. Otherwise you will create a host of new issues such as improper drive line angle and interference problems.

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears)
Re: Gear Vendors installation problem [Re: Kern Dog] #1187031
02/27/12 12:06 PM
02/27/12 12:06 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
I've done both GV swaps Auto and manual in B bodies using the earlier GV's,...in order to maintain proper driveline phasing, I needed to modify the factory transmission mount in both cases, although your attempting to position the engine/transmission driveline in the factory position, the shortened driveshaft will have a new increased angle, best to have the shaft made up, put everything together, then rephase the driveline, you may need to use perch shims to angle the pinion down, or lower the driveline angle a few degrees, with your car being lowered, it might help in that area, you want the engine/tranny centerline running parallel with the pinion centerline, in other words the tranny tail end pointing downward, and the front of the pinion pointing upward, but yet both on the same parallel angle to each other, the shaft should be no more 2 degrees opposite this parallel relationship of the engine and tranny,....get an inclination meter from a local machine shop supplier, no guessing

mike

Re: Gear Vendors installation problem [Re: Kern Dog] #1187032
02/27/12 12:45 PM
02/27/12 12:45 PM
Dandridge TN
D
Dabee Offline
master
Dabee  Offline
master
D

Dandridge TN
I had to dimple my tunnel on my Supper Bee for the GV. The only other modifications were a shorter drive shaft and shimming the axle to obtain the proper pinion angle. From the picture of you car this is a long shot but, I am wondering what is the condition the rubber in your engine and transmission mounts? Maybe the engine has settled due to worn mounts. I have solid engine mounts and a urethane transmission mount on mine. Here is another suggestion, not related to your current problem. The GV controller kept randomly dropping the GV out of overdrive under cruse conditions. I by passed the controller and wired the engagement solenoid directly to the foot switch. Both the GV and I are now much happier.
Here is another bit of information I got from talking to the GV tech guys. The controller is very sensitive to voltage spikes, i.e. you turn the ignition on and the controller powers up, you then turn the switch to the start position. The voltage drop and rise from the starter engaging and dropping back off raises cain with the controller causing it to do strange things like shutting down etc. Mine was shutting down. The solution to this is the wire the controller to a switched circuit directly form the positive side of the battery that won’t see any voltage spikes during start up. I did this and it fixed my problem until I installed electric cooling fans on Da Bee. The voltage spikes returned when the fans came on. That is why I by passed the controller.

Re: Gear Vendors installation problem [Re: Dabee] #1187033
02/27/12 02:13 PM
02/27/12 02:13 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Here is another suggestion, not related to your current problem. The GV controller kept randomly dropping the GV out of overdrive under cruse conditions.

Experienced the same thing with 3 different GV installs, not a random experience,...GV has since updated the control modules, earlier units produced before 2005 have "defective" control units.....nothing like dropping out of OD unexpectantly at 100MPH+ with 4:10's.....leaves in your shorts

Re: Gear Vendors installation problem [Re: DAYCLONA] #1187034
02/27/12 02:32 PM
02/27/12 02:32 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Great info, Thanks!
Regarding the positioning: The old trans mount was a factory rubber unit, and it was thrashed! It came out in several pieces. The trans yoke end was/is closer to the right side of center than the left, so for some time, the driveshaft has been working out of phase. It even had scuff marks where it had rubbed the rh muffler. Zero vibrations though. Am I just lucky there? The motor mounts are the Schumakers, left is the interlocking type, RH is standard and they are both in good condition. I want to tuck this GV up against the body as close as I can for ground clearance reasons. With the way that the trans and driveline were out of alignment before, yet still vibration free, is it wrong to believe that by repositioning the trans/GV to true centerline and tucked up as I have seen it done elsewhere, that it will be okay? Thanks again.

Re: Gear Vendors installation problem [Re: Kern Dog] #1187035
02/27/12 02:51 PM
02/27/12 02:51 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
In your earlier response you mentioned

"Raise the tail end of the GV/trans until it sits within 1/4" of the tunnel and modify the crossmember to fit via hogging out the mounting holes."

Rather than hog the holes why wouldn't you just shim the mount between the adapter & the mount? Personally I'd raise the trans till it touches, do the dimples others have mentioned & then adjust the driveline angle as needed... The higher you tuck the trans/OD the better the ground clearance plus your header will also tuck in tighter...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Gear Vendors installation problem [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1187036
02/27/12 04:29 PM
02/27/12 04:29 PM
MO, USA
T
The Dodge Guy Offline
The Dodge Guy  Offline
T

MO, USA
I purchased a used GV unit also but for a truck application. I have made several calls to GV and talked with Mike. I had to get a few small parts from them and they are great to work with even though I did not buy a new unit from them. Good luck.

Re: Gear Vendors installation problem [Re: The Dodge Guy] #1187037
02/27/12 05:08 PM
02/27/12 05:08 PM
Southwestern Ontario Canada
racealittle Offline
pro stock
racealittle  Offline
pro stock

Southwestern Ontario Canada
Quote:

I purchased a used GV unit also but for a truck application. I have made several calls to GV and talked with Mike. I had to get a few small parts from them and they are great to work with even though I did not buy a new unit from them. Good luck.

Are you installing the truck style unit in a car? Just curious if it fits.

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!
Re: Gear Vendors installation problem [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1187038
02/27/12 07:31 PM
02/27/12 07:31 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Quote:

Personally I'd raise the trans till it touches, do the dimples others have mentioned & then adjust the driveline angle as needed... The higher you tuck the trans/OD the better the ground clearance plus your header will also tuck in tighter...

This looks to be the better option. I have a call in to Mike at GV. I'll report back to pass along any new info.

Re: Gear Vendors installation problem [Re: Kern Dog] #1187039
02/27/12 07:48 PM
02/27/12 07:48 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

is it wrong to believe that by repositioning the trans/GV to true centerline and tucked up as I have seen it done elsewhere, that it will be okay? Thanks again.

As I said in my earlier post, the shorten shaft will change the angle of the shaft, in relation to the engine/tran to pinion relationship, you need to have a minimum of 1-2 degrees deflection of the driveshaft in relation to the engine/pinion parallel plane, you may/may not experience vibration, but with out a driveshaft deflection the life of the u-joints is also greatly reduced, too much deflection can result in possible vibrations and shorten u-joint life/failure,...it's a fineline to find a happy medium, that's why I suggest you have the shaft "in play" to determine just how much you can get away with tucking the GV up into the tunnel,....your rear pinion angle, and driveshaft deflection angle will determine how much you can push it up in the tunnel, the Shumacher mounts MIGHT set your engine higher than stock

Mike

7093314-da2.gif (156 downloads)
Re: Gear Vendors installation problem [Re: DAYCLONA] #1187040
02/27/12 07:53 PM
02/27/12 07:53 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Don't guess on the driveline angles, most common problem for people trying to install aftermarket OD drivelines, and don't be afraid of modifying the floor or tranny mount/crossmember, the benefits of a good running OD offset the headaches of a bad vibrating driveline because your afraid of "altering" the car from stock......purchase an inclination gauge, and learn how to use it, measure your driveline angles on the car, as it sits compressed on the suspension, ok to work on a lift, as long as it's a drive on ramp style, you don't need level ground (within reason), if you reposition the car,to perform work at a later date, remeasure all the angles to confirm your progress

Mike

7093322-da.jpg (404 downloads)
Re: Gear Vendors installation problem [Re: DAYCLONA] #1187041
02/27/12 07:55 PM
02/27/12 07:55 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Some things I understand right away and other things take a little time.
Dayclona; I have the prop shaft in a shop. It should be done late today or early tomorrow.
Great advice from all and the help is truly appreciated.

Last edited by Frankenduster; 02/27/12 07:56 PM.
Re: Gear Vendors installation problem [Re: Kern Dog] #1187042
02/27/12 08:07 PM
02/27/12 08:07 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Some things I understand right away and other things take a little time.
Dayclona; I have the prop shaft in a shop. It should be done late today or early tomorrow.
Great advice from all and the help is truly appreciated.

Franken,....how much "slop", or end play did you subtract from the shaft being shorten?....generally 1" minimun is required, so as not to bottom the yoke into the tailshaft of the transmission when the car squarts during it's suspension travel over the road

Mike

Re: Gear Vendors installation problem [Re: DAYCLONA] #1187043
02/27/12 08:23 PM
02/27/12 08:23 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
This unit has the fixed yoke on it. Its an early unit but was rebuilt in 2006. With the car on jackstands and the rear axle jacked to its position at rest, I measured 38 1/2" from the center to center of the GV yoke to the 3rd member yoke. I told the counterman that number. He told me that this would be the center position of the travel for the slip yoke in the shaft.

Re: Gear Vendors installation problem [Re: Kern Dog] #1187044
02/27/12 10:04 PM
02/27/12 10:04 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

This unit has the fixed yoke on it. Its an early unit but was rebuilt in 2006. With the car on jackstands and the rear axle jacked to its position at rest, I measured 38 1/2" from the center to center of the GV yoke to the 3rd member yoke. I told the counterman that number. He told me that this would be the center position of the travel for the slip yoke in the shaft.

A Fixed Yoke??? Thats not right, it needs to slide to allow for suspension movement... Could you post a picture? While your snapping pictures whats the trans to O/D adapter look like?

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Gear Vendors installation problem [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1187045
02/28/12 01:35 AM
02/28/12 01:35 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
The early GV units had a fixed yoke! The driveshaft has the slip yoke in it toward the front like the driveshafts in a 4wd.