Print Thread
disc brake conversion on a-body #118551
09/10/08 08:42 AM
09/10/08 08:42 AM
Huntertown, IN U.S.A
abodyfan Offline OP
abodyfan  Offline OP

Huntertown, IN U.S.A
I want to convert an a-body to disc, and still have the small bolt pattern wheels. I want to also keep my 14 inch rally wheels. I have a buddy that heard you could use b-body parts to do the conversion, he has a 67 coronet with disc brakes he would give me the parts for the conversion. I don't think it will be possible. The last conversion I did I used 73-76 a-body parts and used 17-Inch wheels. Any ideas on where to find a good kit so I could keep my factory wheels. Thanks in advance for your help.

1971 Dodge Demon 340 4-speed 1970 Plymouth Duster FM3 340 727 1968 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
Re: disc brake conversion on a-body [Re: abodyfan] #118552
09/10/08 09:01 AM
09/10/08 09:01 AM
Snowing in the north!
D
Dart 340 Offline
moparts member
Dart 340  Offline
moparts member
D

Snowing in the north!
I think you might be able to get all the parts from RockAuto.com

Last time I looked I thought they had all of it.

Re: disc brake conversion on a-body [Re: abodyfan] #118553
09/10/08 10:28 AM
09/10/08 10:28 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
There aren't very many SBP disc kits available. You could use original A body parts of course or re-drill some B body rotors but that is a bunch of work. I think one of the aftermarket companies is selling a SBP setup but I've never paid much attention to it.

Re: disc brake conversion on a-body [Re: AndyF] #118554
09/10/08 01:52 PM
09/10/08 01:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm in the exact same situation. I don't have the time to do it yet but have been doing some research.

I'm fairly new so nothing I say is first hand knowledge but from what I've researched online the options seem to be:
SBP = 4" bolt pattern
LBP = 4.5" bolt pattern

there's a 4 piston kelsey hayes SBP setup but their hard to get parts for and the parts are expensive. They may also not be as good with 4 pistons?

swaping in a b body front end with a LBP. and getting new rims. The advantage of this is more selection in rims. this would require a rear solution as well. maybe just the axles maybe the whole differential. depeneds how the problem is attacked and what parts you want to get at a junk yard versus aftermarket. I'm also not certain what will match to what yet. maybe pull just the axles from a LBP A body and put them in the old SBP differential? depending on the size of the rotors it may be possible to keep 14" rims and not have to use 15" I think there are two different sizes of rotors (with diff systems).

I think it may be possible to only do the front end b body swap and then redrill the rotors for a SBP.

There's a few different solutions and i still haven't made up my own mind which way I want to go.

Oh and it seems to be important to research exactly which master cylinder to use with which brake setup. also which proportioning valve. It would seem that some of the already set ones will work on the setup but the aftermarket adjustable one is best. there's a whole thing with calipers matching the master depending on power brakes or not also with a back pressure valve thing being in the master or the lines. (I didn't call it the right name but if you read through you'll find it)

right now i'm leaning towards getting just the brackets from http://www.scarebird.com/12802/21432.html and then getting the rotors, calibers and others from napa. but haven't fully decided if I want to convert to LBP or not. Might depend on what I find in the junk yards.

I keep a word file where I copy in the info I find so that I can find it later. I've included a quick copy paste of it. You'll notice that sometimes I saved the page where I found the info just in case the sites down when I finally get around to doing it. It should be possible to find the page with a little creative searching when I didn't remember to save the exact link.

see this is the exact kind of question that should be on a wiki as the answer is static but evolves.... and keeps comeing up. If I get time maybe I'll do that on one of them....

------------------------------------------------

05 Brakes – Service Parking
Moparts.com PRINT!!!
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/tech/pages/abody.html

file:///D:/Projects/Dodge%20Dart/05%20Brakes%20-%20Service%20Parking/abody%20disc%20brake%20conversion.html

Joshua Skinner
file:///D:/Projects/Dodge%20Dart/05%20Brakes%20-%20Service%20Parking/a%20body%20disc%20brake%20conversion2.htm

MoparAction.com
file:///D:/Projects/Dodge%20Dart/05%20Brakes%20-%20Service%20Parking/MoparAction.com/disc-main.html

further options from moparaction site
http://www.68cuda.com/disk.html

bigblockdart.com
file:///D:/Projects/Dodge%20Dart/05%20Brakes%20-%20Service%20Parking/bigblockdart.com%20-%20brake%20conversion.shtml

a conversion explains some other front end things to do at same time.
http://www.carreview.com/projectdart%5Ebrakescrx.aspx

A body small brakes
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/brake/3.html

http://www.scarebird.com/12802/21432.html

http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/brakeproducts/brakekits/StandardFront/ whole kit well recomended

Print good year info
http://www.autohobbydigest.com/a-brake.html

We use the 30-30-30 rule for breaking in pads,; 30 gentle stops from 30 mph and 30 seconds between stops.

1966 and earlier cars were equipped with a single reservoir master cylinder (MC). A Federal mandate required all 1967 and later cars to have a dual circuit hydraulic brake system, so Chrysler began using a dual reservoir MC. Retrofitting 1966 and early cars with a dual reservoir MC and a dual circuit hydraulic brake system is a great safety improvement and is highly recommended. All that is needed to do this is a 1967-1975 (see footnote #1) drum brake master cylinder, brake lines, and a distribution block.

http://www.houstonmopars.org/brakes.html
· The next A-body configuration is the disc-brakes. These were available 1965-1970 as the same interchange.
· Actually mid '65 through '72 used the same small-bolt 4-piston Kelsey-hayes disc brakes, with the *only* difference being that the '71-'72 cars used RH threads on the lugs on both sides of the car.
The 1971 and 1972 cars are the same part with the 1973 and up the 4 1/2", bolt pattern.
· This is a completely different, single-piston setup which also is used on the F-bodies (Aspen, Volare). There are quite a number of swaps and parts optimizations possible within the '73 and up disc brakes.
It is possible to swap any of the A-bodies to disc brakes by using everything between the upper and lower control arms. When going from a drum to disc front brake setup, it is easier to buy the Mopar performance proportioning valve, than to change the master cylinder.
· This is partly correct. Disc brake master cylinders differ from drum brake items in several respects. One such respect is that it is ESSENTIAL that a master cylinder (or section of a master cylinder) used with disc brakes NOT HAVE A PRESSURE RESIDUAL VALVE!! This is a small rubber flapper valve located behind the tube seat. Its function is to keep small ("residual") pressure on a drum brake system to avoid air being sucked in at the wheel cylinders. This does not create a problem with brake dragging, because drum brakes use strong springs to pull the shoes back. Discs rely on a complete lack of system pressure and the deformation of the piston seal to pull the piston and the shoe back ever so slightly from the disc. Residual pressure in a disc system will prevent this release and cause brake wear and heat buildup. Also, disc brake master cylinders have much larger reservoirs to cope with the fact that disc brakes have a much higher fluid carrying volume. This isn't so crucial as the PR valve above, if you keep careful watch over your fluid level.
Plumb it accordingly and adjust your bias as needed.
· Keeping in mind that A-body disc brake systems have had chronic problems with premature rear lockup, your advice to get the adjustable valve is quite excellent.

bump-steer
Please be aware that when you go to swapping brakes from body to body, carefully check your ball joint taper - and your bump-steer when the swap is completed. Bump-steer can most easily be explained by having someone jump up and down on your front bumper. If the front wheels turn in and out during this process, you have created a geometry problem and it must be connected before driving. (Much more common on rack and pinion cars.)

I just bought 2 new SBP rotors - ordered Raybestos - they substituted
Bendix - They only fit the 4 piston kelsey Hayes setup - But I think if
you want SBP and disc brakes that is what you get. Everything was
pricey for this setup - Probably out to price out the whole deal with
SBP and then with the LBP and a rear swap - see which is more cost effective. But SPB rotors are available under the following PNs:
Expect to pay about 90 dollars each.

Wagner BD60257
Bendix 141054
Raybestos 76739
NAPA 86739

Re: disc brake conversion on a-body #118555
09/10/08 04:56 PM
09/10/08 04:56 PM
Huntertown, IN U.S.A
abodyfan Offline OP
abodyfan  Offline OP

Huntertown, IN U.S.A
PST offers a sbp kit for $999.00 that I will be able to use my stock wheels. It would be cheaper in the long run to buy the set off ebay. I want it to look correct and function well. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

1971 Dodge Demon 340 4-speed 1970 Plymouth Duster FM3 340 727 1968 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
Re: disc brake conversion on a-body [Re: abodyfan] #118556
09/10/08 05:06 PM
09/10/08 05:06 PM
Snowing in the north!
D
Dart 340 Offline
moparts member
Dart 340  Offline
moparts member
D

Snowing in the north!
I thought I heard somewhere once that older mustangs used the exact same setup?

Re: disc brake conversion on a-body [Re: Dart 340] #118557
09/10/08 05:38 PM
09/10/08 05:38 PM
Kent, Wa
340SHORTY Offline
Truck Nut
340SHORTY  Offline
Truck Nut

Kent, Wa
Quote:

I thought I heard somewhere once that older mustangs used the exact same setup?

even the early Mustangs that were 5 lug were 5 x 4 1/2

I am truckless..
Re: disc brake conversion on a-body [Re: 340SHORTY] #118558
09/10/08 07:28 PM
09/10/08 07:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: disc brake conversion on a-body #118559
09/10/08 07:34 PM
09/10/08 07:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

looking at the chart here:
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/17.html

I notice that the 7 1/4 rear end is almost 2 inches shorter from flange to flange than the earlier a bodies. in the exact years one would want for a disk swap '73 - '76 was this to accommodate the different large bolt patern tires or did the body get narrower? would a non standard rim need to be used to get it to be where it needs to be in the wheel well or do those rims usually have different ?backspace?.

Re: disc brake conversion on a-body #118560
03/17/09 11:07 AM
03/17/09 11:07 AM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
The Kelsey-Hayes setups are still out there and parts are available, but hubs and rotors are the most difficult part or it. Rotors also cannot be legally turned (from my research). They are a very good brake when right, but they are more complex than a single-piston setup.

Re: disc brake conversion on a-body [Re: abodyfan] #118561
03/17/09 11:08 AM
03/17/09 11:08 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

PST offers a sbp kit for $999.00 that I will be able to use my stock wheels. It would be cheaper in the long run to buy the set off ebay. I want it to look correct and function well. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

That or an original setup is your ONLY choice if you want to keep the stock bolt pattern . SSBC also sells a kit , same price , roughly as PST , but it's for both bolt patterns , I wonder how they address the smaller hub size of the 4" BP .

Re: disc brake conversion on a-body [Re: Jim_Lusk] #118562
03/17/09 12:11 PM
03/17/09 12:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

The Kelsey-Hayes setups are still out there and parts are available, but hubs and rotors are the most difficult part or it. Rotors also cannot be legally turned (from my research). They are a very good brake when right, but they are more complex than a single-piston setup.

Last time I checked, new rotors were still available; you have to re-use your original hubs.

Pistons are available new, as are seals.

I have both single and 4-piston disc setups. I really can't tell that one works better than the other, and, other than one having four times as many pistons and seals to clean/replace, one seems to be about as easy to work on as the other.

Switching an A body to LBP brakes will widen the front track; on some cars that can cause a clearance/appearance problem. Not insurmountable, but something to deal with.

Re: disc brake conversion on a-body [Re: JohnRR] #118563
03/17/09 12:55 PM
Overpriced Housing Central
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

Quote:

That or an original setup is your ONLY choice if you want to keep the stock bolt pattern . SSBC also sells a kit , same price , roughly as PST , but it's for both bolt patterns , I wonder how they address the smaller hub size of the 4" BP .

SSBC is the kit I was think of as well.

The Coronet stuff won't work, different upper ball joint diameter, IIRC.

Driling probably isn't an option as the wheel register size is different, too large on the B body stuff.

If you are looking for a factory KH SBP A body kit, I have one with good rotors.

Re: disc brake conversion on a-body #118564
W. Sacto CA. USA
P
phantomx Offline
super stock
phantomx  Offline
super stock
P

W. Sacto CA. USA
Quote:

I notice that the 7 1/4 rear end is almost 2 inches shorter from flange to flange than the earlier a bodies. in the exact years one would want for a disk swap '73 - '76 was this to accommodate the different large bolt patern tires or did the body get narrower? would a non standard rim need to be used to get it to be where it needs to be in the wheel well or do those rims usually have different ?backspace?.

The numbers in the table only seem to deal with the housing itself. I bet the the measurement with axles is very close to the number listed above for the 8 3/4" drum to drum measurement. The axle "stick out" from the housing is different model to model depending on brake package. I would never use housing dimentions to determine over-all width, it WILL bite you.
Travis..

70 GTX project, orig 440-4, 4 spd, track pack, FC7, stripper/street racer special.
Re: disc brake conversion on a-body [Re: phantomx] #118565
03/17/09 12:57 PM
03/17/09 12:57 PM
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

Quote:

The numbers in the table only seem to deal with the housing itself. I bet the the measurement with axles is very close to the number listed above for the 8 3/4" drum to drum measurement. The axle "stick out" from the housing is different model to model depending on brake package. I would never use housing dimentions to determine over-all width, it WILL bite you.
Travis..

That chart is a GD f'ing disaster and someone, like a mod, should pull it down.