05/15/04 08:37 AM
05/15/04 08:37 AM
CheddarHead till October
weedlayer Offline
master
weedlayer  Offline
master

CheddarHead till October
if it is all right with the Iron family, I would like to use the close up of the rear of his Challenger for my avatar. I have never had an avatar, but I had been thinking about what I could use for Gary and that fits me very well. Gary and I have had a standing private joke between us for 4 years about the flack we sometimes took over our "less than desireable year Challengers" . We always had a good time with it and that shot of the taillights depicts a major bond of our friendship. I used to get kinda angry, as some of you may remember, when the E-bodies, especially the wrong years, got bashed, but Gary got ahold of me, set me straight, and turned a negative to a positive. thanks Gary

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) #11755
05/15/04 09:07 AM
05/15/04 09:07 AM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
Jack - that was a nice post, thanks for sharing with us.

I can't stop thinking about Gary, his wife & family, his close friends, & co-workers.

There will be other things like this in our lives, but they will always stay with us & we will never forget. I'll always miss Gary.

With Gary's passing - the world is missing someone.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) [Re: Sunroofcuda] #11756
05/15/04 09:37 AM
05/15/04 09:37 AM
Diego-Town, CA
Diego_Ted Offline
master
Diego_Ted  Offline
master

Diego-Town, CA
You know, I have always been kind of prejudice against COPS, I or hardly anyone I know have ever had a good experience with one. UN will make me think a little the next time I cross path with one of " Americas Finest" and will judge them on their individual merits as opposed to the stereo type. This will be my tribute to the man I never met but have the up most respect for.
Diego

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) [Re: Diego_Ted] #11757
05/15/04 09:39 AM
05/15/04 09:39 AM
Canada
Kam*Kuda Offline
master
Kam*Kuda  Offline
master

Canada
Thank you for sharing such a touching story.

1970 Barracuda Convertible
1968 Satellite Street Strip car
1654.5 Mustang
1955 Land Rover
Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) [Re: Sunroofcuda] #11758
05/15/04 09:50 AM
05/15/04 09:50 AM
Fort DODGE, Ioway
O
origcharger Offline
master
origcharger  Offline
master
O

Fort DODGE, Ioway
Thanks for posting Jack, After I reread the write up on Gary and his car in Mopar Muscle and his relationship with the Irons family it was even more clear in my mind that he definately had some close local friends that were going to be hurting real bad. I never personnaly got the chance to shake Gary's hand but feel like I have lost a friend.
Take care, Curt Wiles aka origcharger

MOPARTS ALERT!: Chris Pugh aka gabodyman of Dalton, Georgia, cashed my $140 money order on 4-16-02 never sent parts. On 3-19-07 he agreed to return my money; "april 9, it will be in the mail by that date""will do as promised. chris" Still no parts and no money!
Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) [Re: JackGTX440] #11759
05/15/04 09:52 AM
05/15/04 09:52 AM
Simi Valley, CA
S
splatt Offline
super street
splatt  Offline
super street
S

Simi Valley, CA
Thanks Jack. Nice story and very well done.

73 Challenger, 360 auto, a work in progress
Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) [Re: splatt] #11760
05/15/04 03:51 PM
05/15/04 03:51 PM
Cambridge Vt.
mark_gates Offline
master
mark_gates  Offline
master

Cambridge Vt.
Thanx for the story. That's special for a non-computer guy to do. I'm still in shock; I found myself reading and re-reading our many e-mail correspondences over the last couple of years that luckily, I had saved. I hadn't realized there were so many, and from the responses on this board, I hadn't realized that he was corresponding with everyone else in much the same way. What a powerhouse this man was! My first run of the season is now planned for next weekend. It will be on the tire size that he found for me. That run will be for him.

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) [Re: mark_gates] #11761
05/15/04 10:15 PM
05/15/04 10:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You know, it is so unfortunate that it sometimes takes disaster to help us regain a proper perspective of what life is really all about...people. Not things...people. I never met Gary except thru this board, my loss. I pray for Peace and Grace for his family and friends, and a huge thank you to all of you on this board, there is "heart" here that will continue to care. 440cj

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) #11762
05/15/04 10:32 PM
05/15/04 10:32 PM
Vernon, NJ
P
PDFrogman Offline
PDFrogman  Offline
P

Vernon, NJ
I found out to day at englishtown and have been beside myself all day! Like gary I too was a police officer I just retired from NYPD after 18 years. I have this awful pit in my stomach.
Jack thanks for your post. Gary and I never met in person we exchanged a few emails, still the same I am very sadended by this loss.
may he rest in peace!

FRANK 1970 Road Runner sold! 1969 Sport Satellite convert 1973 383 Challenger six pack 2004 Hemi Durango 2006 jeep grand Cherokee limited
Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) [Re: PDFrogman] #11763
05/15/04 10:37 PM
05/15/04 10:37 PM
Vernon, NJ
P
PDFrogman Offline
PDFrogman  Offline
P

Vernon, NJ
as i was typing my previous reply I received this from my aunt (who knew nothing of this tragedy)

> >

> > When there is nothing left but

> >

> > God, that is when you find out that

> > God is all you need. Take 60 seconds and give this a

> > shot! All you

> > do is simply say the following small prayer for the

> > person who sent you

> > this.

> > >>>>>

> > Father, God bless all my friends in whatever it is

> > that You know

> > they may be needing this day! And may their life be

> > full of your

> > peace, prosperity and power as he/she seeks to have

> > a closer

> > relationship with you.

> >

> > Amen.

some how prayeing for myself is so insignificant.
I know we are all praying for gary and his family

FRANK 1970 Road Runner sold! 1969 Sport Satellite convert 1973 383 Challenger six pack 2004 Hemi Durango 2006 jeep grand Cherokee limited
Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) [Re: JackGTX440] #11764
05/15/04 10:48 PM
05/15/04 10:48 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Jack, thanks for the touching and personal story of how you and Gary met and became friends.
i never met him in person, but its always been obvious how he enjoyed people, and being the kind of person that wanted to make a difference in peoples lives.

all the stories about how he has touched so many does make a lump in my throat and a sick feeling in my gut, knowing that he is now gone.

after reading all these stories its even more apparent how much of a loss his passing has created.

i had the opportunity to talk with him on the phone a couple of times, and could tell he would have been a really fun guy to be around.
its sad to know that i'll never get to meet him and shake his hand.

heres to you Gary......you made a difference in peoples lives.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) [Re: fast68plymouth] #11765
05/15/04 11:33 PM
05/15/04 11:33 PM
Chicago, IL
TonyS451 Offline
master
TonyS451  Offline
master

Chicago, IL
Thanks for sharing your story, Jack. I only met gary once, last year at Big Bear. He greeted me as if I was the guy he was waiting to meet all night, and looked my car over like it was a real Nat's contender. Lots of "ooh's", "awesome" and "cool". In reality, my car was the biggest beater in the lot and really, he greeted everyone with that kind of enthusiasm. He was just that kind of a person. Warm and genuine with a wonderful ability to make you feel welcome. I will always remember that about him.

There is a HUGE void here at Moparts without him and I will miss his presence tremendously. I can only imagine how those very close to him must feel, as I barely knew him yet feel an overwhelming sense of sadness with his passing. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and family. God bless...

2 kids and a dog
Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) [Re: TonyS451] #11766
05/15/04 11:53 PM
05/15/04 11:53 PM
Detroit, Michigan, USA!
peelerboy Offline
master
peelerboy  Offline
master

Detroit, Michigan, USA!
Thank you to Jack Sr., Jack Jr. and the rest of the Irons family. That story was intensely touching. As I've said in a few other posts, I don't "deal" with death well, but have been surprisingly tough with Gary's passing. Well, up until I read that beautiful post. I completely lost it. My eyes are stinging like someone sprayed carb cleaner in my face. It's all good though, because I sorta' feel better. Really moved in a super sad way, but better somehow. I don't know what I'm saying except that your story helped me really ground all the things I have ever suspected about Gary. His incredible kindness, his seemingly never ending generosity, his ability to keep a positive perspective on virtually all situations... just an amazing guy.

I lost another friend a few years back in a tragic car accident (a super cool hot rod Ford guy) and I still get a little busted up when thinking about how I'll never see him in his Mustang again. What helped me get through the loss of THAT cool guy is exactly what I'm going to apply to Gary's passing too. That is, look at things the way THEY might have and give a best guess how they would have wanted us to handle it. This other friend that I lost was extremely similar to Gary in his super upbeat attitude. I've had some lengthy conversations with both Gary and my other friend that I lost and found that their perspectives were always the way to look at things. So in some ways, we really haven't "lost" these guys, because their memories live on. I realize that sounds cornball Disney-esque, but it's actually quite true. Gary will never really be totally gone, because I can still sorta' hear him talking sense to me the way he did many a'time before.

Thanks again, Jack Jr. & Jack Sr. That was an awesome post.

Dale

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) [Re: peelerboy] #11767
05/16/04 12:22 AM
05/16/04 12:22 AM
USA
F
FY1CUDA Offline
master
FY1CUDA  Offline
master
F

USA
Yes Thanks Jack Sr & Jr. for sharing.

Dale, I just saw this! You go my friend!
Chuck West

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) [Re: peelerboy] #11768
05/16/04 09:18 AM
05/16/04 09:18 AM
IN
Dartman928 Offline
master
Dartman928  Offline
master

IN
Thank You Jack for the story........ It funny how people met Gary in different ways but he never changed. You met him many years ago and some... a few months ago and he always treated everyone with respect. I only knew Gary for a couple of years and had the pleasure of hanging out with him,bubba,steff,russ and a few others he even introduced me to you and jr. one night at norwalk. They all have treated me very kindly. I always look forward to seeing them at the classic and nationals and know there will be someone missing. The person who made everyone feel good if not great about themselves........ This is a huge loss to the world not just to me or one person but the world because it is hard to find people like that. Thanks Gary for being a great person!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope we all learn form Gary and try to make the world a better place one person at time. Gary's kindness and willingness will live forever.

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) [Re: MOPAULY] #11769
05/16/04 03:06 PM
05/16/04 03:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

{quote]
Quote:

Ya know I've been in a funk all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T get GARY outa my head.

I feel like I lost my best friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know exactly how you feel, and I never even met him in person.

Ya Im in the same boat, just adrift. I still cant concentrate and focus on ANYTHING

I never met Gary, I was lookin forward to this years Nats so I can finally put faces to the names on the board; I was especially looking forward to meeting Gary! Now I can't..... and I feel like I was cheated.

I dont get emotional but I feel like I want to cry. Since I heard of his passing I've had a lump in my stomach DAMN I FEEL HORRABLE

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) [Re: JackGTX440] #11770
05/16/04 07:51 PM
Minnesota
3twos Offline
master
3twos  Offline
master

Minnesota
Jack,
Thank you for sharing the untold story with us.It for sure helps a lot of us at this time as we want and need to hear from people close to Gary. Sheila and I like most on the board met Gary on Moparts and have chatted with him at Columbus the last copuple of years and were there when he recieved his award.We would like to see his car at the Mopar Nats again this year and will look you up.In a recent PM from "UN" he said he looked forward to seeing Sheila's Coronet this year at Columbus. We plan to be there with it.
Thanks again for the story.

Al & Sheila
Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) [Re: JackGTX440] #11771

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I had the pleasure of meeting Gary first hand.
He was a "Great Man". Everything you have read
about him is true. I first met him 3 years ago.
I was the one who sold him his car trailer that
he was famous for lending out to a complete
stranger at the Mopar party. The last time
was on Woodward Ave just after his Challenger was
photographed for Mopar Muscle. I gave him a small
Mopar Muscle decal which he proudly applied on his
quarter side window right there on the spot. He
then asked me to help grab the one corner of the
hood as he wanted to prop it up to display the
engine. I was so honoured, and scared at the same
time. What if my hands slipped and I dropped my
side???? He trusted me! And that just made me feel
so good inside. He always made you feel important.
I can't believe he is gone. I am truely sadden
by it all.

Wilson Lee
Ontario, Canada.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3