Moparts

Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story)

Posted By: JackGTX440

Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/14/04 10:54 PM

The following is something that my dad wrote about Gary while he was reading all of your posts and comments throughout the night. I felt that I should share this with the rest of you that did not know Gary like we did. We saw Gary almost daily, and he was a huge part of our lives.

"I’m sitting here in front of our computer in the middle of the night, for nine hours now, reading all these messages, balling my eyes out. It is now 24 hours to the minute since we lost Gary (2:45 am, 5/14/04). You see, I don’t use a computer, nor do I know how, until tonight. I sit here watching the views numbers climb on Dave Dudek’s post; it’s almost 7000 now. When I called Dave from work at 6:45 am and woke him and told him the awful news, I asked him to post the news. Later on he told me he hesitated to post it because he couldn’t believe it. I know how he felt because I received the same phone call from Russ Aderholdt, who is like a brother to Gary and Nikki. Russ was also balling his eyes out over Gary, and I could hardly understand him.

I work third shift, as Gary did, and was getting ready to leave work. On my way home I had to pass right past the accident scene. It wasn’t until I got there that I realized how horrific it was. I stopped my car and got out with tears flooding my face. The officers were doing their investigation. The road was closed and I stood on the southbound side of I-75 looking at what was obviously a high-speed impact. I can tell you that Gary did not suffer.

To those of you that are not from the area, the latest word is that not only was the person Gary had arrested was drunk, but also the 21 year old male that had just left a party where he was celebrating his graduation from Fire Fighters school. He t-boned Gary in the driver’s door at a reported 100+ miles per hour. This drunk driver had prior offences and had previously had his license suspended for DUI when he was 17 years old.

The loss of Gary is senseless and far-reaching as all of you have shown. I can’t help but to think of the old saying, “You don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.” I, for one, was not fully aware of how far-reaching Gary’s kindness was because I have not been a part of this forum. I can only tell you how kind he was to us. Like so many of you have said, the last time you talked to him, he was offering his help. Gary was at my house at the beginning of the week to return tools and was offering to help me powerwash and stain my deck. It’s funny, the last time my deck was cleaned and stained, Gary did it. He did it then because I didn’t have time, and he was offering again because I didn’t have time.

Jack Jr. said to me tonight, “Dad, I want you to read something.” It was a post on Gary’s website. Gary was praising Jack Jr. on his character and his ability. Jack Jr. said that post was almost two years ago, and I had never seen it before.

We may have lost something by not being more involved in the Moparts website, but we gained by being so lucky to have had Gary in our lives. It wasn’t until tonight that I realized how special Gary really was, and that was because of all of you and all your kind, heartfelt thoughts and feelings that you all have shown.

I remember the first time I met Gary. This was before Moparts, before Gary owned a Mopar, before he ever even attended a Mopar Nationals. He showed up in my driveway wanting to buy my 1970 Charger. Jack Jr. and I had just brought it out of storage and was unloading it off the trailer when Gary showed up. It’s funny, for some reason we took to Gary right away. With dust all over the car and only knowing Gary for a few short minutes, I asked him if he wanted to go for a ride. With no plates or insurance on the car, we were off for a ride in a car that had been in storage for five years. The dust was flying off the car and Gary was smiling ear-to-ear. We were only a few miles down the road when I looked over at Gary and asked him, “Can you drive a four-speed?” He said, “I think so.” I soon pulled over to the side of the road, climbed out of the driver’s seat and said to the guy that I’ve known for about 15 minutes now, “Well, let’s find out!” He jumps out, runs over to the driver’s side, climbs in, and, well, you know the rest of the story. That was only seven or eight years ago. Soon after that the Mopar Nationals were coming up and we asked Gary if he was interested in going. Well, I can tell you that we didn’t have to ask twice!

This is a picture of Gary and the rest of us at Gary's first Mopar Nationals in 1997, and the above mentioned '70 Charger.

I’m grateful for the friendship Jack Jr., Daren, my wife, Lisa, and myself, have shared with Gary and Nikki. And also for the wonderful example of a man he has been to both my sons. Now we have to figure out how to go on without him and his kindness and compassion. Hindsight is always 20/20.

There is so much to say about Gary from those of us who lived with him on a day-to-day basis. First and foremost his wife Nikki, but also his daily buddies like Russ, Jack Jr., myself, and also the people he would drop in on. I’m sure you will be hearing from these people as soon as they can handle even talking about it. I say this because I want everyone to know just how tragic and devastating this has been for all of us immediate friends of Gary’s here in our area, and there are lots of us. I can’t mention all of you and hope you understand. I will leave it to you to let your feelings be known because everyone, I’m sure, had a special relationship with him.

As for a tribute to Gary, at the Mopar Nationals this year, I will tell you that we are planning to have his car there with us. We haven’t talked to Nikki, his wife yet because the time is not right, but knowing Nikki, I’m sure she will approve. It will be in our pits, so look for the flamed-out motorhome (Hot to Trot) flying the American flag, as always, and, hopefully, in the special area for the F.A.S.T. cars (Factory Appearing Stock Tire) class. I’m sure by having his car there for a tribute will snowball. Gary always had that effect. To him, the more the merrier when it came to his Mopar buddies."

Thank you, Jack Irons Sr.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/14/04 11:08 PM

It's very hard to read a post like that and not lose it all over again. Thank you very much for sharing this with us. We have all lost so much by losing Gary...
Posted By: moretoys

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/14/04 11:15 PM

Well said jack.
I've only known gary a couple years,I see him a few times a year,but when you're with him he makes you feel like you've been friends forever.Class act all the way.

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/14/04 11:43 PM

Thanks for sharing Jack, very touching story about a very special person, the part about you letting Gary drive your car after knowing him for only minutes says it all some people shine even on rainy days

The respect so many have shown here is the ultimate statement as to Gary's life and who he was, few will ever touch so many.

Posted By: Wile1coyote

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/14/04 11:47 PM

Thank You, Jack
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 12:09 AM

Thanks for sharing that with us, Jack. While I have never met Gary in person, I felt like I knew him, as do so many members here. My loss for never getting around to going to the Nats.

Tim
Posted By: demonman

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 12:20 AM

As i sit here with tears in my eyes after reading this post
I realize just how much i apprecieated being a friend of Gary Davis and how badly everyone will miss him so.
Posted By: 340wonder

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 12:27 AM

Thanks Jack. It was your kindness that helped bring Gary to moparts giving us a chance to know him too.
Posted By: RoadRnnr69

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 12:38 AM

That is a great and very personal story Jack. Thank you for sharing it with us. This is a very difficult time for you and your family after becoming such close friends with Gary and Nikki.
It is such a senseless loss, that is what makes it so hard to understand.
Posted By: BENCHRACER

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 12:42 AM

Thanks Jack.
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 12:47 AM

Thank you Jack..........man, this is really hard.

Wes
Posted By: mopartony

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 12:49 AM

Jack, Thanks for taking the time to post that.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 12:53 AM

Thanks Jack. I had only met Gary once and he kept telling me to come back out to the Nats. But in the one meeting in 2001 I knew this guy was a special person who you just had to like. This is very hard. Ron

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 12:58 AM

Thank you Jack for letting us know how much you and yours cared for Gary.

I know it was hard to sit down and put your feelings into virtual ink.

God bless you and your family and especially Nicole during these turbulent times.

Gary was very special to us.
Posted By: JackGTX440

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 01:03 AM

Me, my dad, and Russ Aderholdt left Gary's house a little while ago to pick up his car for the service. It was very hard for me to go into Gary's garage get in his car and pull it into the trailer knowing that he is never going to drive it again, or come rolling up in my driveway anymore.

I spoke to a Bloomfield officer that was at his house. He was telling me what some officers that were on the scene were saying. He told me that Gary did not look beat up, but like he was very much at peace.

Posted By: freddart

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 01:08 AM

Ya know I've been in a funk all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T get GARY outa my head.

I feel like I lost my best friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: 727jim

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 01:08 AM

to the davis family and the Iron's you will always be part of my life friend's and family for ever.
There is sometimes never enough time spent with people you love weather it is close family or friends as (family) it takes something as tragic as this to bring family and friend together sometimes for i have gone thru 9 death's this year with frinds and family and has been a very sad year now even more with gary so many plans for the coming year for us to do things now is gone

please everyone try to spend more time with family and friends even if it is just a phone call or e-mail away make your mend's with all,

love the Santo family Jim Julie Ryan & ashley Santo

gary will always be part of our family

i think gary is having a race right now with my father-in-law in the clouds
on the
Posted By: aarlucas

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 01:37 AM

Very nice story Jack. Thanks so much for sharing. I can only imagine how hard it was for you to write that.
While I never met Gary face to face, we did converse via e-mail and this board. He was always eger to help and gain more information about our hobby. He will be/is truly missed by so many of us.
Gary would be proud to know you will be driving his car during the funeral. He will be smiling down on all of you who get to make it and give him such a great send off.
Rick
Posted By: MOPAULY

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 01:42 AM

Quote:

I know exactly how you feel, and I never even met him in person.
Posted By: scamp1972

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 01:49 AM

Thanks for your thoughts and story

Charlie
Posted By: TAG

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 01:56 AM

That was well said Jack...........thanks to you, your dad, Russ and the others for helping Nikki and the rest of the Davis family out. I'm sure getting Gary's car was not an easy thing to do. I talked to Russ yesterday and could barely speak to him; I hope he's holding up. I wish I had my car ready for Monday, but I'll be there.

I was fortunate to meet Gary back in the late eighties. I'd see him every once in a while, at a party, or over another buddy's house. Until I bought my Dart about five or six years ago, and ever since then I kept in closer contact with him. Heck in introduced me to you and your Dad. You guys were the one with the coolest motor home. Come to think about it, beside my buddy Lee (moretoys), everyone I've meet on this board is in thanks to Gary. I could go to any local Mopar show, by myself, and see someone I would know, and guess again, thanks to Gary. He sure did have an impact on a lot of people. I feel honored and very great full for having Gary as a friend. This is tough. I'm going to bed............this has been another draining day.

We just need to kept this Mopar community that Gary helped build together; I don't think he'd want it any other way.

God Bless
Todd
Posted By: mopargord

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 01:57 AM

Thanks Jack for sharing, My wife, Joan and I were only able to get with Gary and Nicki a couple of times a year, and they were always special to us,and I must tell you that your and Jack jrs. name always came up at some point,and always with a sense of love and respect, you also were special to him.We all will have to find a way to get past this tragedy and carry on out of love and respect for the best person (I personally)that we have ever had the priveledge to know and be able to call friend.
Thanks again.
Gord & Joan Shapton
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 02:25 AM

Well said about a 'real person'. A person that I never new in person but I feel that I DID know him. He was always here to help and/or offer guidance to someone.
This evening on a local North Dakota news cast they showed a Memorial service for Police Officers who have lost there live in duty. There were none locally but they had the service for all and had a 21 gun salute to these officers nationwide. I right away thought of Gary.
Posted By: Bubba

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 02:27 AM

Thanks Jack Sr., & Jr.

I for one can tell you that Gary thought of you guys as the best. He spoke
of Sr. as a Father,and Jr. as a brother. Bless you Irons Family!!!

Todd (Bubba)
Posted By: BADBEE

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 03:41 AM

Quote:

It was very hard for me to go into Gary's garage get in his car and pull it into the trailer knowing that he is never going to drive it again, or come rolling up in my driveway anymore.

This brought tears to my eyes. I never met him in person or had the privelage to hang out with him as many of you did.
This has to be a very hard time for you to go through. Try to hang in there guys. You have a lot of prayers being said for you and the family.
Posted By: DaveDudek

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 03:47 AM

The Iron`s family are top notch people and I`m sure Gary knew he was lucky to be a part of the their lives, just as they knew, they were lucky for being apart of his.

Thanks for the story. God bless good friends...
Posted By: StrokerPost

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 03:56 AM

Jack,
I truly dont know what to say. As someone else said, I never got to meet him, but got to know him a little here. I'm sitting here trying to see the keyboard through tears for a man I never met, and that kind of confuses me. I feel as though I've been robbed of a blessing. I've gotten to know him much better since his passing with all the great stories and recollections of Gary and the role he played in so many people's lives. Wow, what a guy. Thanks Jack for this story.
Ya know, so many times I've heard people get mad at God when something like this happens, asking...DEMANDING that God give an explanation why He would take such a person from us. If we could only realize that the one who took him is also the one who GAVE him to us in the first place. Maybe we should all be saying "Thank you God for Gary, for the tremendous blessing he was to all who were priviledged to know him."
I'll be praying for his family and friends.
Posted By: topfueldart

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 03:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Many of us feel the same pain as both of you, RIP Gary, you will never be forgotten ....
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 04:12 AM

Jack,

Having been a local and longtime friend of Russ', Gary always spoke with much admiration and repect for the Irons family. You guys were like a second family to him.

Thanks for posting.

Dean
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 05:13 AM

Jack, you've described Gary perfectly. I've never met someone that could make everyone around him feel like his best friend. Last September at the Norwalk classic he let me drive his car back to my pit area to get the EZ-up canopy, I held it on my lap the whole time so I wouldn't scratch that perfect car. Then he topped the day off with a smoky burnout on his mini-bike. I've only hung around him a few times and I feel like I lost one of my best friends.
Posted By: Mopar Ron

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 05:41 AM

Thank You for sharring this with us, I haven't been the same since I heard about this and I never met him but on here. I feel like I lost a best friend. RIP Gary. Ron...

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 06:13 AM

Quote:

Jack,
I truly dont know what to say. As someone else said, I never got to meet him, but got to know him a little here. I'm sitting here trying to see the keyboard through tears for a man I never met, and that kind of confuses me. I feel as though I've been robbed of a blessing. I've gotten to know him much better since his passing with all the great stories and recollections of Gary and the role he played in so many people's lives. Wow, what a guy. Thanks Jack for this story.
Ya know, so many times I've heard people get mad at God when something like this happens, asking...DEMANDING that God give an explanation why He would take such a person from us. If we could only realize that the one who took him is also the one who GAVE him to us in the first place. Maybe we should all be saying "Thank you God for Gary, for the tremendous blessing he was to all who were priviledged to know him."
I'll be praying for his family and friends.

Well said, the blessing of Gary is here with us, it is in these stories, in our memories of him. Thank You God for letting us have Gary for a little while, take good care of him for us.

-Alan
Posted By: mopar74

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 06:25 AM

I feel the same as many people have said. I have never met him in person but feel as if I have known him forever from this board. Hopes and prayers go out to his family and close friends. Kevin
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 07:27 AM

I too am one of those who never had the pleasure of meeting Gary and I still cant get him off my mind. He was a great person, thats for sure. ITs a shame he was taken from us in this way.
Posted By: FastOne

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 08:25 AM

Sad news indeed, I was a little confused for a bit, first saw the post early in the morning & thought surely this isn't real?, even though I never met Gary & probably wouldn't have ever, it's going to feel rather strange that he's not around here anymore, thanks for the story & my deepest sympathies to family & friends.
Posted By: Giggy

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 09:13 AM

Thanks for the story, very touching.

Quote:

I never met Gary but have the same feeling. I was pumping gas today and read the sticker on the pump that it was unlawful to drive off and thought of Gary. Kind of teared up right there and shook my head...

Huge loss, he will be missed.

Posted By: NAS Backyard

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 10:53 AM

I just want to send my condolences to all of his family and friends and my prayers will be with you all.
Posted By: pro_street_dart

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 10:58 AM

As the days are going on, it isn't getting any easier to read these posts. This whole thing is just truly heart breaking! What a tragic, tragic loss.
Posted By: 572charger

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 11:24 AM

thanks jack , i,ve been reading all the posts about gary , i don't know what to say , i met him at norwalk 2 years ago at his moparts, cook out in the pits, he did not know me at all i went over with pro stock [tom] he fed me like i was family!! last year at big bear mopar nats we B.S ed alot , he was the one to set me up with the" moparts sponsor " to go down to hot rod pump gas drags !!!! i was floored when prostock called me an told me the terrible news this is such a TRAGEDY to this board and every one he came in contact with !!!!!!!mostly his family ! this really SUCKS ,jim

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 11:30 AM

Thank you so much for sharing that story. I never had the privilege of knowing Gary in person, but I still feel as if I've lost a friend.
Posted By: weedlayer

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 12:37 PM

if it is all right with the Iron family, I would like to use the close up of the rear of his Challenger for my avatar. I have never had an avatar, but I had been thinking about what I could use for Gary and that fits me very well. Gary and I have had a standing private joke between us for 4 years about the flack we sometimes took over our "less than desireable year Challengers" . We always had a good time with it and that shot of the taillights depicts a major bond of our friendship. I used to get kinda angry, as some of you may remember, when the E-bodies, especially the wrong years, got bashed, but Gary got ahold of me, set me straight, and turned a negative to a positive. thanks Gary

Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 01:07 PM

Jack - that was a nice post, thanks for sharing with us.

I can't stop thinking about Gary, his wife & family, his close friends, & co-workers.

There will be other things like this in our lives, but they will always stay with us & we will never forget. I'll always miss Gary.

With Gary's passing - the world is missing someone.
Posted By: Diego_Ted

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 01:37 PM

You know, I have always been kind of prejudice against COPS, I or hardly anyone I know have ever had a good experience with one. UN will make me think a little the next time I cross path with one of " Americas Finest" and will judge them on their individual merits as opposed to the stereo type. This will be my tribute to the man I never met but have the up most respect for.
Diego
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 01:39 PM

Thank you for sharing such a touching story.
Posted By: origcharger

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 01:50 PM

Thanks for posting Jack, After I reread the write up on Gary and his car in Mopar Muscle and his relationship with the Irons family it was even more clear in my mind that he definately had some close local friends that were going to be hurting real bad. I never personnaly got the chance to shake Gary's hand but feel like I have lost a friend.
Take care, Curt Wiles aka origcharger
Posted By: splatt

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 01:52 PM

Thanks Jack. Nice story and very well done.
Posted By: mark_gates

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/15/04 07:51 PM

Thanx for the story. That's special for a non-computer guy to do. I'm still in shock; I found myself reading and re-reading our many e-mail correspondences over the last couple of years that luckily, I had saved. I hadn't realized there were so many, and from the responses on this board, I hadn't realized that he was corresponding with everyone else in much the same way. What a powerhouse this man was! My first run of the season is now planned for next weekend. It will be on the tire size that he found for me. That run will be for him.

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/16/04 02:15 AM

You know, it is so unfortunate that it sometimes takes disaster to help us regain a proper perspective of what life is really all about...people. Not things...people. I never met Gary except thru this board, my loss. I pray for Peace and Grace for his family and friends, and a huge thank you to all of you on this board, there is "heart" here that will continue to care. 440cj
Posted By: PDFrogman

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/16/04 02:32 AM

I found out to day at englishtown and have been beside myself all day! Like gary I too was a police officer I just retired from NYPD after 18 years. I have this awful pit in my stomach.
Jack thanks for your post. Gary and I never met in person we exchanged a few emails, still the same I am very sadended by this loss.
may he rest in peace!
Posted By: PDFrogman

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/16/04 02:37 AM

as i was typing my previous reply I received this from my aunt (who knew nothing of this tragedy)

> >

> > When there is nothing left but

> >

> > God, that is when you find out that

> > God is all you need. Take 60 seconds and give this a

> > shot! All you

> > do is simply say the following small prayer for the

> > person who sent you

> > this.

> > >>>>>

> > Father, God bless all my friends in whatever it is

> > that You know

> > they may be needing this day! And may their life be

> > full of your

> > peace, prosperity and power as he/she seeks to have

> > a closer

> > relationship with you.

> >

> > Amen.

some how prayeing for myself is so insignificant.
I know we are all praying for gary and his family
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/16/04 02:48 AM

Jack, thanks for the touching and personal story of how you and Gary met and became friends.
i never met him in person, but its always been obvious how he enjoyed people, and being the kind of person that wanted to make a difference in peoples lives.

all the stories about how he has touched so many does make a lump in my throat and a sick feeling in my gut, knowing that he is now gone.

after reading all these stories its even more apparent how much of a loss his passing has created.

i had the opportunity to talk with him on the phone a couple of times, and could tell he would have been a really fun guy to be around.
its sad to know that i'll never get to meet him and shake his hand.

heres to you Gary......you made a difference in peoples lives.
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/16/04 03:33 AM

Thanks for sharing your story, Jack. I only met gary once, last year at Big Bear. He greeted me as if I was the guy he was waiting to meet all night, and looked my car over like it was a real Nat's contender. Lots of "ooh's", "awesome" and "cool". In reality, my car was the biggest beater in the lot and really, he greeted everyone with that kind of enthusiasm. He was just that kind of a person. Warm and genuine with a wonderful ability to make you feel welcome. I will always remember that about him.

There is a HUGE void here at Moparts without him and I will miss his presence tremendously. I can only imagine how those very close to him must feel, as I barely knew him yet feel an overwhelming sense of sadness with his passing. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and family. God bless...

Posted By: peelerboy

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/16/04 03:53 AM

Thank you to Jack Sr., Jack Jr. and the rest of the Irons family. That story was intensely touching. As I've said in a few other posts, I don't "deal" with death well, but have been surprisingly tough with Gary's passing. Well, up until I read that beautiful post. I completely lost it. My eyes are stinging like someone sprayed carb cleaner in my face. It's all good though, because I sorta' feel better. Really moved in a super sad way, but better somehow. I don't know what I'm saying except that your story helped me really ground all the things I have ever suspected about Gary. His incredible kindness, his seemingly never ending generosity, his ability to keep a positive perspective on virtually all situations... just an amazing guy.

I lost another friend a few years back in a tragic car accident (a super cool hot rod Ford guy) and I still get a little busted up when thinking about how I'll never see him in his Mustang again. What helped me get through the loss of THAT cool guy is exactly what I'm going to apply to Gary's passing too. That is, look at things the way THEY might have and give a best guess how they would have wanted us to handle it. This other friend that I lost was extremely similar to Gary in his super upbeat attitude. I've had some lengthy conversations with both Gary and my other friend that I lost and found that their perspectives were always the way to look at things. So in some ways, we really haven't "lost" these guys, because their memories live on. I realize that sounds cornball Disney-esque, but it's actually quite true. Gary will never really be totally gone, because I can still sorta' hear him talking sense to me the way he did many a'time before.

Thanks again, Jack Jr. & Jack Sr. That was an awesome post.

Dale
Posted By: FY1CUDA

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/16/04 04:22 AM

Yes Thanks Jack Sr & Jr. for sharing.

Dale, I just saw this! You go my friend!
Chuck West
Posted By: Dartman928

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/16/04 01:18 PM

Thank You Jack for the story........ It funny how people met Gary in different ways but he never changed. You met him many years ago and some... a few months ago and he always treated everyone with respect. I only knew Gary for a couple of years and had the pleasure of hanging out with him,bubba,steff,russ and a few others he even introduced me to you and jr. one night at norwalk. They all have treated me very kindly. I always look forward to seeing them at the classic and nationals and know there will be someone missing. The person who made everyone feel good if not great about themselves........ This is a huge loss to the world not just to me or one person but the world because it is hard to find people like that. Thanks Gary for being a great person!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope we all learn form Gary and try to make the world a better place one person at time. Gary's kindness and willingness will live forever.

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/16/04 07:06 PM

{quote]
Quote:

Ya Im in the same boat, just adrift. I still cant concentrate and focus on ANYTHING

I never met Gary, I was lookin forward to this years Nats so I can finally put faces to the names on the board; I was especially looking forward to meeting Gary! Now I can't..... and I feel like I was cheated.

I dont get emotional but I feel like I want to cry. Since I heard of his passing I've had a lump in my stomach DAMN I FEEL HORRABLE
Posted By: 3twos

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/16/04 11:51 PM

Jack,
Thank you for sharing the untold story with us.It for sure helps a lot of us at this time as we want and need to hear from people close to Gary. Sheila and I like most on the board met Gary on Moparts and have chatted with him at Columbus the last copuple of years and were there when he recieved his award.We would like to see his car at the Mopar Nats again this year and will look you up.In a recent PM from "UN" he said he looked forward to seeing Sheila's Coronet this year at Columbus. We plan to be there with it.
Thanks again for the story.

Re: Gary Davis... (Please Read Our Untold Story) - 05/16/04 11:51 PM

I had the pleasure of meeting Gary first hand.
He was a "Great Man". Everything you have read
about him is true. I first met him 3 years ago.
I was the one who sold him his car trailer that
he was famous for lending out to a complete
stranger at the Mopar party. The last time
was on Woodward Ave just after his Challenger was
photographed for Mopar Muscle. I gave him a small
Mopar Muscle decal which he proudly applied on his
quarter side window right there on the spot. He
then asked me to help grab the one corner of the
hood as he wanted to prop it up to display the
engine. I was so honoured, and scared at the same
time. What if my hands slipped and I dropped my
side???? He trusted me! And that just made me feel
so good inside. He always made you feel important.
I can't believe he is gone. I am truely sadden
by it all.

Wilson Lee
Ontario, Canada.
© 2024 Moparts Forums