Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Quote:

Quote:

RMS

67Autocross:
That picture of the Alterkation setup sorta scares me. The relatively narrow span between the front and rear bolts holding the LCA in place? Wow can that be sturdy? That reminds me of how more stable you are with your feet about a shoulders width apart compared to side by side. The Mopar LCA with the strut rod looks far superior in resisting deflection. Maybe the RMS works better in a perfect world without speed bumps, potholes and the rare event where you drift off the pavement!

I second that emotion. Also check how the outer tie rod and is cantilevered WAY down, putting mega stress on that bolt. Also the K-member is now just an "H", no X-bracing. Hit something offset and it'll parallelogram, just hope you don't hit with the driver side only.

And...and..

I feel that this should really be sold for drag racing use only. No matter how great the geometry may be!

Rick

Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: jcc] #1157364
01/24/12 05:45 PM
01/24/12 05:45 PM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Quote:

All B body arms below, and for the record ctr to ctr on upper arm is approx 9.5", lower RMS Arm is approx 8". I am not sure where spindle ctr is relative upper and lower mounting points, but if its centered or close, both control arms would receive same loading on braking force, not sure on "potholes", my biggest concern is single shear mounting on lca, which upper does have, but if failures don't exist, its an arraigning the deck chairs issue. I trust the RMS, I would buy it again, Bill doesn't shy away from critical comments, has a great track record, and nobody has built anything superior yet.

Pix is misleading, you need to compare the stock LCA WITH the tension strut attached, which is really part of the arm.

Also the OEM strut has a large bushing to absorb impacts; the RMS setup has near-zero compliance. That sends instantaneous loads to near infinity.

Rick

Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1157365
01/24/12 05:52 PM
01/24/12 05:52 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

All B body arms below, and for the record ctr to ctr on upper arm is approx 9.5", lower RMS Arm is approx 8". I am not sure where spindle ctr is relative upper and lower mounting points, but if its centered or close, both control arms would receive same loading on braking force, not sure on "potholes", my biggest concern is single shear mounting on lca, which upper does have, but if failures don't exist, its an arraigning the deck chairs issue. I trust the RMS, I would buy it again, Bill doesn't shy away from critical comments, has a great track record, and nobody has built anything superior yet.

Pix is misleading, you need to compare the stock LCA WITH the tension strut attached, which is really part of the arm.

Also the OEM strut has a large bushing to absorb impacts; the RMS setup has near-zero compliance. That sends instantaneous loads to near infinity.

Rick

I disagree, pic is real, but interpretations can be misleading.

So back to reality, anybody broken ANY of the "poorly" designed systems in normal expected use we are picking to death?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: jcc] #1157366
01/24/12 05:57 PM
01/24/12 05:57 PM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Quote:

...<snip...and nobody has built anything superior yet.

Agreed. Except this...

Rick E.

Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: mopardamo] #1157367
01/24/12 06:35 PM
01/24/12 06:35 PM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Sorry, all I have handy at the moment is late B stuff...the dimension is 15".

Rick E.

Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1157368
01/24/12 07:34 PM
01/24/12 07:34 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I used to think that while the engineers back in the day must have been smart, over time a better idea MUST have come along. I have come back around to gaining a better respect for the factory guys. The RMS setup looks nice and shiny, and I can appreciate the gains in header clearance that they have. I dont know what sort of weight savings that they offer. Hey, I'm just a high school graduate with an interest in Mopars. I can't throw out complicated terminology in an attempt to confuse those with differing opinions, I just speak with what makes sense. The RMS design looks to be a room divider like green bearings, FRAM oil filters and those crazy 18-20 inch wheels on musclecars........

Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1157369
01/24/12 10:33 PM
01/24/12 10:33 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Thank you for the pic that indicates 15" on the one side of the LCA suspension triangle. I am not sure what to make of it. It doesn't appear to be broken, it has what appears to be typical rubber compliant strut bushing set-up, which in your earlier post reduces infinite and instantaneous shock loading. The basic pictured concept is time proven and used by millions. I could offer many pluses and minuses about this and other designs, but regardless, few seem to have notable failures in the field. And IMO all can be improved, some more then others.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: jcc] #1157370
01/24/12 11:34 PM
01/24/12 11:34 PM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Quote:

Thank you for the pic that indicates 15" on the one side of the LCA suspension triangle. I am not sure what to make of it. It doesn't appear to be broken, it has what appears to be typical rubber compliant strut bushing set-up, which in your earlier post reduces infinite and instantaneous shock loading. The basic pictured concept is time proven and used by millions. I could offer many pluses and minuses about this and other designs, but regardless, few seem to have notable failures in the field. And IMO all can be improved, some more then others.

The point is simple: With OEM, there's 2X the span between LCA pivots (vs. RMS), no shear loading on the tension strut, and some road-shock-absorption compliance.

Rick E.

Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1157371
01/25/12 12:49 AM
01/25/12 12:49 AM
St. Louis, MO
mopardamo Offline OP
pro stock
mopardamo  Offline OP
pro stock

St. Louis, MO
Hello,

The header clearance and the approximate 100+ pound weight loss are the primary reasons why I have been looking hard at the RMS setup. Of course along with their very good track record/reputation to even consider them. I'd like something light that can handle and drag well. Wishfull?

Damon

Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1157372
01/25/12 01:26 AM
01/25/12 01:26 AM
Plano, TX
68440fish Offline
68440fish  Offline

Plano, TX
Rick,

You should investigate more before you jump to conclusions. I expect more from you.
1) The RMS has poly bushings on the LCA, not exactly zero compliance.
2) LCA is not in sheer - it is shaft mounted. The bolts are to hold caps which keep the bushings from sliding. The shaft is supported by a tube welded into the frame.
3) The outer tie rod is mounted to the end of a tube stub - no more in shear than our stock tie rod, just looks like a bolt with a spacer though it is not.

Now... the design of the LCA does not sit well with me, I would have done that a little different. But I think I would need to know more before I make any definitive statements.

You just posted a glowing review of the XV stuff - then bash the RMS stuff because it is not as good a concept as the stock geometry? I know you did an article on XV a few years back. I have not heard a peep out of XV in almost two years when they promised me they were going to build an A-body Level 2 suspension. Are they still in business? It appears they are selling all their vehicles and have not introduced any new products in quite a while. How about you give Bill an equal shot, at least go visit him and evaluate the engineering first hand instead of making assumptions based on pictures. His shop is just South of Scranton, that isn't too far away for you. Then I would be interested in your point of view from an informed perspective.

Michael Plano, TX 68 Barracuda Notch Pro Patina
Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: 68440fish] #1157373
01/25/12 01:58 AM
01/25/12 01:58 AM
Chicago, Illinois
Devil Offline
I Live Here
Devil  Offline
I Live Here

Chicago, Illinois
Quote:

Rick,

You should investigate more before you jump to conclusions. I expect more from you.
1) The RMS has poly bushings on the LCA, not exactly zero compliance.
2) LCA is not in sheer - it is shaft mounted. The bolts are to hold caps which keep the bushings from sliding. The shaft is supported by a tube welded into the frame.
3) The outer tie rod is mounted to the end of a tube stub - no more in shear than our stock tie rod, just looks like a bolt with a spacer though it is not.

Now... the design of the LCA does not sit well with me, I would have done that a little different. But I think I would need to know more before I make any definitive statements.

You just posted a glowing review of the XV stuff - then bash the RMS stuff because it is not as good a concept as the stock geometry? I know you did an article on XV a few years back. I have not heard a peep out of XV in almost two years when they promised me they were going to build an A-body Level 2 suspension. Are they still in business? It appears they are selling all their vehicles and have not introduced any new products in quite a while. How about you give Bill an equal shot, at least go visit him and evaluate the engineering first hand instead of making assumptions based on pictures. His shop is just South of Scranton, that isn't too far away for you. Then I would be interested in your point of view from an informed perspective.

What does their business practice have to do with the engineering? You're just trying to find fault with anything XV instead of coming up with facts to back up your ramblings.

The XV parts have gone through actual scientific testing in all sorts of conditions. I have YET to get anything from RMS of any sort of actual engineering or testing when I've asked for it. Just saying "No one has come forward with a failure yet (that he's told us)" doesn't mean it is thoroughly tested.

I'm fairly sure since Rick has only worked on Mopar suspensions for most of his life and written some of the best articles on them... might have gone through everything once or twice.

Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: Devil] #1157374
01/25/12 03:02 AM
01/25/12 03:02 AM
A
A57_RT Offline
Parts Problem
A57_RT  Offline
Parts Problem
A

At the same time Devil all you yourself have done for the past 3 years or so on moparts is continue to say how much a deathtrap the RMS system is and you would never drive one on the street with no support to back it up yet so many of us have had zero issues.

I cant say jack about the XV or Hotchkis others because I dont use there products.

The RMS unit for the F-body is unique as the upper control arm boxes are part of the actual RMS unit and there are 6 mounting points vs 4 on most.

I really dont read your crap posts devil unless I run into them and more RMS bashing, what system do you currently own??

Not the RMS, the XV, or Hotchkis??? Or are you holding out for training wheels for older mopars?

Ive been beating the RMS system for almost 4 years and other then looking it over like the rest of the car, zero issues...hell my grandmas rode in the car, somthing you probably wouldnt do with the RMS death machine under the front.

F-body K....

7035999-DSC02721[1].JPG (59 downloads)
Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: A57_RT ] #1157375
01/25/12 03:06 AM
01/25/12 03:06 AM
A
A57_RT Offline
Parts Problem
A57_RT  Offline
Parts Problem
A

You can see where it also bolts through the org frame area.

7036000-DSC05086[1].JPG (61 downloads)
Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: A57_RT ] #1157376
01/25/12 03:09 AM
01/25/12 03:09 AM
A
A57_RT Offline
Parts Problem
A57_RT  Offline
Parts Problem
A

Last 1

7036003-DSC03636.JPG (51 downloads)
Last edited by A57_RT; 01/25/12 03:10 AM.
Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: A57_RT ] #1157377
01/25/12 12:14 PM
01/25/12 12:14 PM
Chicago, Illinois
Devil Offline
I Live Here
Devil  Offline
I Live Here

Chicago, Illinois
Quote:

At the same time Devil all you yourself have done for the past 3 years or so on moparts is continue to say how much a deathtrap the RMS system is and you would never drive one on the street with no support to back it up yet so many of us have had zero issues.

I cant say jack about the XV or Hotchkis others because I dont use there products.

The RMS unit for the F-body is unique as the upper control arm boxes are part of the actual RMS unit and there are 6 mounting points vs 4 on most.

I really dont read your crap posts devil unless I run into them and more RMS bashing, what system do you currently own??

Not the RMS, the XV, or Hotchkis??? Or are you holding out for training wheels for older mopars?

Ive been beating the RMS system for almost 4 years and other then looking it over like the rest of the car, zero issues...hell my grandmas rode in the car, somthing you probably wouldnt do with the RMS death machine under the front.

F-body K....

So you don't have anything to actually intelligent to say, so you insult me. Just makes you look like the buffoon, not I.

I actually have used a combination of different pieces on my 71 Challenger, using articles from Mopar Action, Mopar Muscle, etc... and ideas from XV and others. Only thing holding up my project is wiring.

I re-welded the K-frame, I have made my own inner fender braces, lower radiator core support brace brace, bigger torsion bars, HD rear springs, front and rear sway bars, cop car brakes, FF level 3 box with fast ratio pitman arm... (Wanna get that new support setup)

My car will not be a slouch in the corners, even with that big block up front.

Best of luck!

Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: mopardamo] #1157378
01/25/12 01:55 PM
01/25/12 01:55 PM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Quote:

Hello,

The header clearance and the approximate 100+ pound weight loss are the primary reasons why I have been looking hard at the RMS setup. Of course along with their very good track record/reputation to even consider them. I'd like something light that can handle and drag well. Wishfull?

Damon

No. The RMS setup is an EXCELLENT drag suspension. besides weight reduction and header clearance, you could really pick up HP if you had a custom oil pan designed around it...lots less windage losses.

And, as I've said, I am confident that the geometry is good, or better.

It is long-term street durability that it worrisome, as is crashworthiness -- the lack of X-bracing for the front longitudinals, for one, besides the heim joints, cantilevered tie end bolt, and lots more.

As someone said, this topic is a "room divider" - a great line! So I'll bow out now before this topic takes a further downturn and gets pulled, but I promise to research this in depth and do something on it in print. Beyond that, I'll leave you with this disclaimer from the RMS / AlterKtion installation manual:

"....By purchasing this product, the buyer/end user assumes all risks associated with its use and agrees to having the proper skills for it's [sic] installation. Reilly MotorSports Inc. and its suppliers will not be held responsible, liable or accountable for any injury, damage, loss, penalties, or fines that occur from using this product in any manner."

Rick

Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1157379
01/25/12 02:51 PM
01/25/12 02:51 PM
NY usa
540challenger Offline
master
540challenger  Offline
master

NY usa

"....By purchasing this product, the buyer/end user assumes all risks associated with its use and agrees to having the proper skills for it's [sic] installation. Reilly MotorSports Inc. and its suppliers will not be held responsible, liable or accountable for any injury, damage, loss, penalties, or fines that occur from using this product in any manner."

Rick

Not for nothing 99% of aftermarket parts drag racing or even autocross for that matter have the same or simliar disclaimer. When it comes to their products.

Re: Combining RMS & Hotchkis [Re: Devil] #1157380
01/26/12 09:29 AM
01/26/12 09:29 AM
Plano, TX
68440fish Offline
68440fish  Offline

Plano, TX
Quote:

What does their business practice have to do with the engineering? You're just trying to find fault with anything XV instead of coming up with facts to back up your ramblings.

Jumping to conclusions you are.

Quite to the contrary - I am actually interested in what XV would produce for my A-body. If they offer a better product I WILL buy it. Prior to releasing the B-body suspension they claimed the A-body was next. Now I am concerned this will not happen because XV stopped releasing new products about 20 months ago. I have purchased from XV in the past with no complaints...

Last edited by 68440fish; 01/26/12 09:34 AM.

XV for A-body? [Re: 68440fish] #1157381
02/03/12 09:25 PM
02/03/12 09:25 PM
Plano, TX
68440fish Offline
68440fish  Offline

Plano, TX
Quote:

Quite to the contrary - I am actually interested in what XV would produce for my A-body. If they offer a better product I WILL buy it. Prior to releasing the B-body suspension they claimed the A-body was next. Now I am concerned this will not happen because XV stopped releasing new products about 20 months ago. I have purchased from XV in the past with no complaints...

Replying to my own post... I spoke to someone at XV today. They have a '68 Barracuda on the lift. They are nearing completion of the 3-link rear suspension and plan on moving straight on to the development of the front. Rear would be ready for sale very soon, front could be out by Summer.

What do y'all think?

Re: XV for A-body? [Re: 68440fish] #1157382
02/03/12 10:50 PM
02/03/12 10:50 PM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
Quote:

Quote:

Replying to my own post... I spoke to someone at XV today. They have a '68 Barracuda on the lift. They are nearing completion of the 3-link rear suspension and plan on moving straight on to the development of the front. Rear would be ready for sale very soon, front could be out by Summer.

What do y'all think?

buy the alter-k and be done with it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2