Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Answering the call of the wild
So could you please invent us a bearing assy for the idler arm then? I really like the idea esp with a welded k frame.

In a k frame related issue from running lots of laps - Even with one of the good urethane mounts the engine needs to be restrained a bit further. I have found the need for a second Schumacher style torque strap installed on passenger side of the k frame. What is happening is the engine is compressing the right side mount pushing the collector[tti] and exhaust system [tti]towards the ground. Holding just one side makes the problem worse. It can be seen in the pics of the cars at speed and in the tearing of the rubber portion of the exhaust hanger at the muffler... I had this problem is with both bb/sb engines. The 2nd torque strap is a pita but it works.

Re: Has anyone braced a K-frame in the car? [Re: jcc] #1155341
07/23/12 02:24 AM
07/23/12 02:24 AM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
Quote:

Any installed pics?

I'll have one of the sector support kit by the end of the week. (It's kind of handy having Firm Feel less than a mile away.)
Quote:

And the purpose, if I understand it correctly, is to prevent "flexing" of the 1.25"? sector shaft, to lighten the load on the OEM sector bearings, AND to basically supply another mounting point for the PS box? I can't imagine shaft has much relative flex in the scheme of things.

If you take a look at the FSM, it is plainly obvious that the design of the steering gears does not plan for very high steering loads. The "cross shaft", or what we have have been referring to as the sector shaft, has ONE bearing supporting the load. Mainly, it appears that the bearing is to precisely locate the cross shaft w.r.t. the worm (input) shaft. The bottom end is held mainly by the housing, seal, and dust boot.

The "flex" in the steering system is a combination of (a) sector shaft flex, which admittedly is likely small, (b) housing flex, also probably fairly small, and K-frame steering gear mount point flex, which probably is the majority.

I see the sector support kit as having a two-fold purpose:
(1) reducing the flex of the above mentioned elements, and
(2) reducing the stress and wear on the steering gear housing at the lower end from the loads on the sector shaft.

We've all driven late-model cars - even my '86 Supra is still better than the RR in the handling department - why not help our vintage iron as much as possible with the tech improvements?

Re: Has anyone braced a K-frame in the car? [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1155342
07/23/12 02:36 AM
07/23/12 02:36 AM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline
super stock
MadMatt  Offline
super stock

Nampa, ID
Quote:

Quote:

The bearing is a nice idea but is the new bearing kit a fix for those who won't or can't or don't want to weld their k frame? It seems a properly welded/reinforced k frame would not require this additional piece as the steering box is now held very rigidly.

Has an evaluation been done to see if there is any discernible flex in the steering box mount after a full gusset and weld?

I usually use the unscientific approach, by looking at how much the pressure hose's chuck end (on PS cars) moves around when moving the steering wheel back 'n' forth a few inches, car at rest. In fact, this is how I discovered K flex 40 years ago!

From what I've seen, this simple bolt-on helps more than all the gusseting I've done over the years, and that's a lot! In fact, unless I was building another real road racer or auto-X'er, this is all I would bother with.

Again, I haven't measured, this is an eyeball estimation. Measurements, to be worth anything, would need to be done on the same car, same weight, same tire footprint and air pressure, etc.

Remember, no matter how much stiffness you add, the pitman (w/o the added bearing) will still be cantilevered out there.

'Course, it can never be too stiff... ;->

Rick

I installed one on my '70 Dart with Firm Feel level II box. It did take more like an hour than 10 minutes, but I work slow. However, it was definitely worth the money and the effort, and I could immediately feel the difference.

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: Has anyone braced a K-frame in the car? [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #3222725
03/25/24 05:23 PM
03/25/24 05:23 PM
HOPKINTON
D
Dan P Offline
Dan P  Offline
D

HOPKINTON
Hey there,

I'm new to this forum, but a long time Mopar guy.

I am looking to purchase a support shaft bearing kit like the one in the pic for my 1970 Challenger convertible but haven't ben able to find it for sale online...anyone point me to the right place. I'm also planning to do some reinforcing of my K-member now that I've read this thread. Good info here.

Re: Has anyone braced a K-frame in the car? [Re: Dan P] #3222834
03/26/24 07:06 AM
03/26/24 07:06 AM
Florida
BDW Offline
master
BDW  Offline
master

Florida

Re: Has anyone braced a K-frame in the car? [Re: BDW] #3222839
03/26/24 08:03 AM
03/26/24 08:03 AM
Virginia
L
larry4406 Offline
mopar
larry4406  Offline
mopar
L

Virginia
Pictures of this installed?

I am having a hard time visualizing this.

Re: Has anyone braced a K-frame in the car? [Re: BDW] #3222866
03/26/24 11:34 AM
03/26/24 11:34 AM
HOPKINTON
D
Dan P Offline
Dan P  Offline
D

HOPKINTON
YEEEEESSSS!!!! Thank you so much!

Re: Has anyone braced a K-frame in the car? [Re: Dan P] #3223014
03/26/24 11:23 PM
03/26/24 11:23 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Originally Posted by Dan P
Hey there,

I'm new to this forum, but a long time Mopar guy.

I am looking to purchase a support shaft bearing kit like the one in the pic for my 1970 Challenger convertible but haven't ben able to find it for sale online...anyone point me to the right place. I'm also planning to do some reinforcing of my K-member now that I've read this thread. Good info here.

https://firmfeel.com/collections/power-steering/products/sector-support-kit?variant=45577381445950

They sell the gusset DIY kit for the K frame too.

Kevin

Last edited by Twostick; 03/26/24 11:24 PM.
Re: Has anyone braced a K-frame in the car? [Re: blown340] #3223223
03/27/24 08:20 PM
03/27/24 08:20 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Just do what the old NASCAR boys used to do. They would weld the K frame right to the car just to make everything nice and stiff. Here is a picture of a NASCAR chassis I took a few years ago. I think this chassis was from the 70's or maybe early 80's. It was still a torsion bar, leaf spring car so it was before the switch to trailing arms and coil springs.

Some of the parts are interesting to look at. The fabricated knuckle is very crude. Looks like a disc brake knuckle welded to a truck knuckle? The anti sway bar setup is fabricated, the strut bar is gigantic, the hubs are from an Imperial or a light truck or something along those lines.

9-24 (Large).jpg
Last edited by AndyF; 03/27/24 08:22 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2