Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline OP
master
cataclysm80  Offline OP
master
C

Florida
Sorry, not a mopar this time, 1989 chevy silverado 1500. Originaly R-12, converted to R-134a, I'm cleaning/replacing several components and will continue to use R-134a.

cleaning and reusing all metal AC lines

replacing...
rubber AC hoses
orafice tube
acumulator
condensor
compressor
low pressure switch
O rings

I'm leaving the evaporator as is.

This is basicaly like installing a new system I think. The new compressor is shipped to me dry with no oil.

1. How much PAG oil do I need to put in the system?

The little sticker on the compressor reads... "This compressor when initially employed as a replacement R-12 to R-134a unit will require 8 oz. PAG oil in system. If additional components are replaced at the time the compressor is changed, add oil to compensate for additional oil which has been removed as indicated below: Evaporator 3 oz., Condenser 1 oz., Accumulator drain and add that amount + 2 oz."

2. How do I drain the Accumulator?

3. What viscosity of PAG oil should I use?

I think the answer is 150 high viscosity PAG oil. It says "for GM specification 9988572" on the bottle.

I've never done any of this stuff before and wanted to double check with someone before putting everything together. What do you guys think? Am I doing this right? Is that too much oil in the system?

Tav

(P.S. I'm not going to charge the system myself, I have a friend at a shop who will do that. I'm just getting it all put together so I can drive it over there.)

Re: Need Advice from Air Conditioning Techs [Re: cataclysm80] #115271
09/05/08 03:25 AM
09/05/08 03:25 AM
alton, ill
D
Desoto Offline
Desoto  Offline
D

alton, ill
Drive it with the A/C off and let the shop that is charging the system deal with evacuating and re-oiling the system?

That's what I've always done when switching out a compressor/drier-accumulator/expansion valve.