12/30/11 02:08 PM
12/30/11 02:08 PM
Penna
70satelliteguy Offline OP
pro stock
70satelliteguy  Offline OP
pro stock

Penna
No this is not another "Can't get them to seal" problem.

After tearing down this year I was putting a coat of Copper coat on them to reuse them for the SECOND TIME and noticed that the innermost circular portion of the gasket is starting to radially split on several cylinders. It is hardly noticeable but I am glad I noticed it so that I did not put it back together that way. This is on a 4.50 bore Mega block that I have used Cometic gaskets on before sometimes reusing them several times before discarding without ever having this happen.
Has anyone seen this before and anyone have any idea why this is happening other than the gasket being defective?
I have always bought the Cometic brand(More $$$) but Mancini racing only carries the MR. Gasket brand and they say they appear to be just a repackaged product from Cometic!!!
Thanks Mike

Re: BB Cometic head gasket problem! [Re: 70satelliteguy] #1146895
12/30/11 11:24 PM
12/30/11 11:24 PM
detroit area
M
moderncylinder Offline
top fuel
moderncylinder  Offline
top fuel
M

detroit area
not enough clamp load on the gasket,, you may never get there with studs and what you have,,, what happens is the head stands up on the fire ring due to not enough load to compress it down to the base gasket thickness,, so part of the gasket from the fire ring to the bore flexes with combustion and running causing it to seperate and "crack" off