Lees Summit, MO
S
SmallHurst Offline
mopar
SmallHurst  Offline
mopar
S

Lees Summit, MO
I know that some of you never considered them part of GM or competitive enough, but Olds never had any AIR pumps.

As for the Chevy's, some did, some did not.

Snarl softly and carry a BIG stick 1969 Hurst/Olds Pure Stock 13.23@ 103.1 and the a/c blows cold! Rusty Small
Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: SmallHurst] #1143675
01/04/12 05:03 AM
01/04/12 05:03 AM
Melbourne.....Oz-land
Moparmal Offline OP
master
Moparmal  Offline OP
master

Melbourne.....Oz-land
Quote:

I know that some of you never considered them part of GM or competitive enough, but Olds never had any AIR pumps.

As for the Chevy's, some did, some did not.

A 69 HURST Olds is one car I would jump the wall for.

Probably the only one.........

Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: bwdst6] #1143676
01/09/12 02:46 PM
01/09/12 02:46 PM
Ozark Mountains
C
Chevy454 Offline
I Love Mopars
Chevy454  Offline
I Love Mopars
C

Ozark Mountains
I know this is a dead horse, but I'm still gonna lob this over the wall...

Quote:

The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags is a great place to have fun with your car, to show what it can do, to run your best and hang out with other motor heads.

But it is NOT a good place to be if you want to compare your Mopar against a GM. The rules are stacked against the Mopars. Some examples:

Mopars came stock from the factory with better, high performance ignition systems. The PSMCDR allows ignition upgrades to everyone, thus negating the Mopars advantage.

I'm fuzzy on the other GM divisions, but for Pontiac and Chevrolet a transistorized ignition (think MSD) was available as a regularly ordered option as early as 1963...this was across the model lines. You'll see it more often on the hi-po Pontiacs and mid '60s L72 Chevys. Matter of fact, this was the *standard* ignition on the L88 & ZL1 cars. Is it safe to assume that no pre-'71 ChryCo cars are running an electronic ignition?

Quote:

Mopars came stock from the factory with exhaust H pipes. The PSMCDR allows H pipes for everyone, thus negating the Mopars advantage.

I've missed the last couple of years, but last I knew the L88s were some of the last cars to switch over to H/X pipes, if they all even have now...I know a couple of them were still deadly quick without them a couple years ago.

Quote:

The PSMCDR allows COPO Chevies, L88 Chevies, Yenko Chevies, the aluminum engined ZL1 Camaros, but they will not allow the Mopar equivilants such as the 64 Dodge Hemi.

As someone stated early, the '69 Yenko Camaro/Chevelles are the only Yenko cars legal, because they started life as COPO cars. Strip the decals off my car, and it's exactly how it was delivered to Yenko Chevrolet back in '69. BTW, the best *2* combinations (and only prior SS/A *legal* Chevrolet entries) aren't even being campaigned yet...and no I'm not talking about the ZL-1 Corvette. I've been begging someone to build one of these combos for years, and haven't got any takers...yet!

Quote:

Plus there is not any real, consistant tech to see if the cars are even legal. So comparing against other cars where it is unknown how far they are from "pure stock" proves nothing.

I *will* agree with you about the tech, though...

Quote:

There is only so much one can do and stay within the rules. The old rules were build the engine to NHRA spec which seems to favor the brand X cars more.

LOL, the irony here is that it was the Mopars that brought us the NHRA spec rules...so at one time they believed it favored them! And now, with the 1.5 points over advertised compression, this seems to favor those low-compression entries (which is most of the field), and negates the compression advantage the bow-ties had.

Quote:

Paul Adams, T-bolt racer and current SS/B record holder and former SS/A(@ min. now) has asked to run in the SS/AH shootouts. He was told no. I'd like to see him run at the SS/AH weight.

Quote:

Why do the SS/AH cars race by them selves? Why isn't it a T-Bolt, SS Dart, SS Barracuda shoot out?

The 64 Hemi Hardtops are a complete different animal than the package cars, with 70 built the numbers are more than the ZL1 Camaro, they should be able to compete in Pure Stock.

The ultimate F.A.S.T B-body.

I would love to see all of the SS/A and SS/AH cars run together, with the same "rules", but it ain't happening...NHRA doesn't want the tech nightmare, and MoPar put up the $$$$ for the SS/AH show specifically to showcase the Hemi stuff (which is their prerogative).

Quote:

As far as "no warranty, no play", with all due respect...... that is simply a "convenient decision" drawn up to keep the Chebs competative.

Its a cynical decision which most MOPAR people are accustomed to seeing from ruling bodies who are scared that Chrysler will chase the opposition away.

Mopar turned the tables and got the L88 bounced from the NHRA guide before it could beat the Hemi cars to the 8s in S/S...I believe this was just prior to the debut of SS/AH?

Quote:

Possibly he may be comparing the slowest of the Hemi cars to the L88 cars. The thing about the L88 cars are if you see one at the Pure Stock drags it's a 90%+ chance that it is a prepared car built especially to compete in the pure stock drags and thus the times. Many of the Hemi cars are driving restorations with very little drag race prep.

I think it's a bit presumptuous to think *none* of the Hemi cars are purpose built or that none of the L88 cars are driving restorations. One of the Hemi cars started life as something else and at least a couple of the L88 cars were frame off projects, so that shoots that theory down...

Quote:

Anyone know why the GM guys get a "pass" on the air pumps? I'm not sure what the complete system weighs (on the nose of the car), but it must suck some power being driven from the crank. Weren't most (if not all) GM products supposed to have them? I'm sure their are some that run the pumps, but most don't. Just curious...

I believe Chevy was the first to heavily use A.I.R. pumps, and prior to '69 they were scarce...in '69 they were hit/miss
(still a hot topic among bow-tie guys as far as applications)...and in '70 while they were generally used there were a couple of applications that didn't get them I believe (L34/auto sticks in my mind?).

Quote:

Nothing personal - but the "warranty" rule is complete garbage.

I agree 100%. A ZL1 is a Super Stocker with a warranty,the Chevy boys think it is less of one because it did come with a warranty.The rules say no factory race cars. The car is not eligible to run in stock elimanator. We should be used to being beaten by the PEN by now.

You need to re-check the class guide...it's been in there for a few years now.

Quote:

Most of the Gm cars are claiming to be running 4.57 gears on 27 inch tires.They must me revving 7000 plus.Sounds like the word pure is being abused.Chevys just cheat better.

To me, it seems more reasonable to expect a hi-perf BBC with a solid cam to rev to "7000 plus" versus a hydraulic cammed counterpart...

Rob Clary Fat, yellow Yenko Camaro 11.75 @ 118, Pure Stock!
Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: Chevy454] #1143677
01/10/12 12:24 AM
01/10/12 12:24 AM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
i wont get into the debate about which cars should be allowed, and which ones are cheating the most......
but i will say......

i definately enjoy those "ride along" videos

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: Chevy454] #1143678
01/10/12 03:44 AM
01/10/12 03:44 AM
B
Beeware Offline
enthusiast
Beeware  Offline
enthusiast
B

Hi Rob,

I try not to get involved with the Politics but had to add my two cents to this one. The post above you mention X and H pipes what you dont mention is the size/diameter of the exhaust. Please correct me if I'm wrong here I'm going off of old reads and Concourse repo exhaust systems that list the ZL1 exhaust diameter is 2-1/4" headpipe into 2" inch tailpipes, the L88 Headpipe is 2-1/2 into 2"tailpipes. The PSMCDR is allowing an upgrade all Vehicles that dont have 2-1/2 and also allowing an H or X Pipe again UPGRADE! Mopars came with the 2-1/2 and H so No upgrade here!

Interesting read here from Bill Porterfield (ZL1 pioneer)regarding his dnyo testing. http://www.camaros.org/copo.shtml
How much real power?
Although rated at 430 horsepower by the old method, Chevrolet never released actual power figures for the as-installed production ZL-1 engine. Numbers were tossed around for years until Bill Porterfield decided to find out. Bill had acquired an original block from one of the cars and enough NOS parts to complete another engine. The engine was subjected to 5 levels of test. RPM was limited to 6750.

Engine Test
Configuration Result
---------------------------- --------
#1 All accessories, production 375.7 HP
exhaust manifolds, Camaro
chambered exhaust system,
36 degrees timing
#2 As above with 2-1/8" headers 418.9 HP
replacing the manifolds
#3 Air cleaner, alternator, AIR 447.2 HP
pump removed
#4 Carb re-jetted, timing set 444.2 HP
to 39 degrees
#5 Chambered exhaust system 523.6 HP
removed
The ZL-1 was a legitimate 500+ horsepower engine.
Others have recently built ZL-1's with similiar or higher results. Several have dynoed in the 540-550 HP range. Modern components like piston rings may be the cause of the slightly higher performance.

The ZL1's and L88's were some of the most wicked Iron to come out of the Motor City No Doubt but without the Upgrade given to them by the PSMCDR rules they would be down how much horsepower with factory exhaust??? 147.9 Horsepower gain with Headers goes to show you how bad this combo was corked up from the factory? The UPGRADE that was given didnt apply to the Mopars that came stock with 2-1/2 exhaust with H. So how much horsepower was GIVEN to any brand that could benifit from the UPGRADE? Bill Porterfield did a nice job of Documenting.

Also to quote Bill Porterfield who has been restoring ZL1's since the 70's " All ZL-1 cars were equipped with AIR pumps and Gibbs' cars were produced with standard N10 dual exhaust."

Seems like every Reference resto I see has a Smog Pump, Yenkos,Copo's L88's, 435's I've been looking at the L88's for the last 6-7 years and every survivor car I've seen has a smog pump the Fields survivor car with 700 original miles has a smog pump. Its not just the weight of the Pump on the front of the motor the belt drag there also.Hit or Miss on the Smog Pump??? I'm calling it Smog Pump Delete must be an RPO code for that one.

All Muscle cars were not created equal the Olds got the W27 alum rear, everybody didnt get the upgrade, Studes got a Supercharger No upgrade to everyone else, ZL1's got an Alum block no one else got the upgrade, Maxies, Ford 427's L88's Some Hemi's got solid lifters but everybody didnt get the Upgrade, Lift Off Six Packs got the Hood, intake and carbs everybody didnt get that Upgrade. Smog pumps everybody didnt get that but sure deleted it quick."(RPO Smog Pump Delete).

So how much of a Horsepower Bonus is it to get the UPGRADE to 2-1/2 exhaust with an H? Could be Huge according to Porterfields webpage listed above unless your a Mopar no UPGRADE at all.

The Rules of the PSMCDR are as written I dont expect any changes and dont have a problem accepting them But the Exhaust UPGRADE is a huge Horsepower gain to those that have been given that BONUS. No Denying it, just smile and know it is an "UPGRADE".

Rob Please correct me if I'm wrong on the Exhaust diameter I'm sure you have forgotten more about Yenkos,Copo's,L88,ZL1's ect... than I'll ever know. Hope to see you at Martin!!!

Paul M Petcou
440 SixPack Challenger

Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: Beeware] #1143679
01/10/12 07:32 AM
01/10/12 07:32 AM
Illinois
J
JLerum Offline
JLerum  Offline
J

Illinois
The way I understand it, the Big Block Mopars original exhaust tapers down to 2-1/4 before they meet the muffler. Gardner exhaust has a very good description of how the exhausts were designed and assembled for each model. If this is true, then their are added liberties to the original Mopar design as well. Other small cubed Mopar motors also get the benefits as well by a 1/4 to 1/2 increases in diameter

Grant it you have an H pipe that everyone got. I agree with you their! In a nutshell, if it takes the best HEMI builder in the world to be the quickest Pure Stock in the country, I feel no shame, CUBIC money! Nice posts and controlled debate on the Pure Stock topic.

Jim

Last edited by JLerum; 01/10/12 07:52 AM.
Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: JLerum] #1143680
01/10/12 11:14 AM
01/10/12 11:14 AM
Forest Lake, Minnesota
S
superbeejim Offline
enthusiast
superbeejim  Offline
enthusiast
S

Forest Lake, Minnesota
also Mopar had the only duel point distributor for better coil saturation compared to most all the others with a single set of points. One thing that isnt mentioned is that at lease in 1969, Mopar had G-70-15 tires, the biggest tire available at the time, and then ALL makes were allowed a one tire size upgrade, so that negated that addvantage.

Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: Beeware] #1143681
01/10/12 12:36 PM
01/10/12 12:36 PM
Ozark Mountains
C
Chevy454 Offline
I Love Mopars
Chevy454  Offline
I Love Mopars
C

Ozark Mountains
Quote:

Hi Rob,
I try not to get involved with the Politics but had to add my two cents to this one. The post above you mention X and H pipes what you dont mention is the size/diameter of the exhaust. Please correct me if I'm wrong here I'm going off of old reads and Concourse repo exhaust systems that list the ZL1 exhaust diameter is 2-1/4" headpipe into 2" inch tailpipes, the L88 Headpipe is 2-1/2 into 2"tailpipes. The PSMCDR is allowing an upgrade all Vehicles that dont have 2-1/2 and also allowing an H or X Pipe again UPGRADE! Mopars came with the 2-1/2 and H so No upgrade here!

Interesting read here from Bill Porterfield (ZL1 pioneer)regarding his dnyo testing.

The ZL1's and L88's were some of the most wicked Iron to come out of the Motor City No Doubt but without the Upgrade given to them by the PSMCDR rules they would be down how much horsepower with factory exhaust??? 147.9 Horsepower gain with Headers goes to show you how bad this combo was corked up from the factory? The UPGRADE that was given didnt apply to the Mopars that came stock with 2-1/2 exhaust with H. So how much horsepower was GIVEN to any brand that could benifit from the UPGRADE? Bill Porterfield did a nice job of Documenting.

Also to quote Bill Porterfield who has been restoring ZL1's since the 70's " All ZL-1 cars were equipped with AIR pumps and Gibbs' cars were produced with standard N10 dual exhaust."

Seems like every Reference resto I see has a Smog Pump, Yenkos,Copo's L88's, 435's I've been looking at the L88's for the last 6-7 years and every survivor car I've seen has a smog pump the Fields survivor car with 700 original miles has a smog pump. Its not just the weight of the Pump on the front of the motor the belt drag there also.Hit or Miss on the Smog Pump??? I'm calling it Smog Pump Delete must be an RPO code for that one.

All Muscle cars were not created equal the Olds got the W27 alum rear, everybody didnt get the upgrade, Studes got a Supercharger No upgrade to everyone else, ZL1's got an Alum block no one else got the upgrade, Maxies, Ford 427's L88's Some Hemi's got solid lifters but everybody didnt get the Upgrade, Lift Off Six Packs got the Hood, intake and carbs everybody didnt get that Upgrade. Smog pumps everybody didnt get that but sure deleted it quick."(RPO Smog Pump Delete).

So how much of a Horsepower Bonus is it to get the UPGRADE to 2-1/2 exhaust with an H? Could be Huge according to Porterfields webpage listed above unless your a Mopar no UPGRADE at all.

The Rules of the PSMCDR are as written I dont expect any changes and dont have a problem accepting them But the Exhaust UPGRADE is a huge Horsepower gain to those that have been given that BONUS. No Denying it, just smile and know it is an "UPGRADE".

Rob Please correct me if I'm wrong on the Exhaust diameter I'm sure you have forgotten more about Yenkos,Copo's,L88,ZL1's ect... than I'll ever know. Hope to see you at Martin!!!

Paul M Petcou
440 SixPack Challenger

Hey Paul! I'll be the first to admit to the "suckiness" of the Chevrolet exhaust...but why Porterfield took an already bad situation and made it worse by testing with the chambered exhaust is beyond me. The NC8 chambered exhaust is/was garbage...it sounded good, but was even *more* restrictive than the standard transverse setup found on the non-NC8 Camaros/Novas...it necked down in spots worse than the standard dual exhaust, but worse than that it had all of those chamber "perforations" sticking into the exhaust flow. And how do I know this exhaust sucked? Well I was dumb enough to run a chambered system on our Y-Camaro for many many years...it was on it when I certified, and I wanna say I ran +/- 8 years with it? I had it on so long that COPO Pete got tired of telling me how crappy it was...so I changed it out (I wanna say I did it for the 2nd Martin event?) with just the regular kink bent dual exhaust and picked up significantly everywhere. Anyway, the chambered option (it wasn't standard on any combo) was discontinued early in the '69 model year, similar to how the Pontiac's VOE option got canned.

I won't argue with the "why" of the H/X pipe, because I agree with you...no one asked me or cared, but I was against it when that rule was proposed and eventually came to fruition. The Mopars (and few FoMoCos) that got 'em should've had 'em, everything else without. But with that said, I know a couple of the quickest L88s were in the .50s at least *without* a crossover pipe...

Concessions have been made across the board (I still don't know why), but a lot of that came from the NHRA non-sense, as even *that* idea wasn't applied correctly, and gave away Chevy's compression advantage it had on several combos, as well as some cam specs...but again, no one cared what I thought then...and I'm guessing that sentiment is still true today!

And lastly, you're spot on with one thing at least, I have indeed forgotten *tons* of stuff! I blame it on my kids, lol!!

Quote:

also Mopar had the only duel point distributor for better coil saturation compared to most all the others with a single set of points. One thing that isnt mentioned is that at lease in 1969, Mopar had G-70-15 tires, the biggest tire available at the time, and then ALL makes were allowed a one tire size upgrade, so that negated that addvantage.

Oh boy, now we can get down to skinnin' this cat! Howdy Jim! Interesting about the dual point, I didn't realize that? I know some of the tri-five Chevys and C1/C2 'Vettes had dual point setups, but I'll admit ignorance on whether they were available any later than that...but somewhere around '63-ish GM made the K66 transistorized setup available across several brands, which would be comparable to an MSD setup...it's a pretty slick setup, and was standard on the ZL1s/L88s, but was very prevalent in the C2/C3 'Vettes. And I still don't understand the tire thing, like I didn't understand the 1% or 2% camshaft deal...I kept hearing about it, but couldn't understand the "why" of it.

Truth be told, I probably enjoyed all of this PS stuff more back when my turd was running high-12s/low 13s on pump gas...it's kind of turned into a bit of a chore lately.

Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: Chevy454] #1143682
01/10/12 02:55 PM
01/10/12 02:55 PM
St Clair Shores, MI
DonnyBrass Offline
mopar
DonnyBrass  Offline
mopar

St Clair Shores, MI
Quote:

...but somewhere around '63-ish GM made the K66 transistorized setup available across several brands, which would be comparable to an MSD setup...it's a pretty slick setup, and was standard on the ZL1s/L88s, but was very prevalent in the C2/C3 'Vettes.

Tech Info on the K66.. for educational purposes only

BACKGROUND & OPERATION

In 1962 the Delco-Remy Division of General Motors began the task of designing an ignition system that overcame the limitations of the conventional breaker-point system. The overall objective of the new Delcotronic Transistor-Controlled Magnetic Pulse-Type Ignition System (the official name) was to provide long life, high reliability, and require no periodic maintenance during the life of the vehicle.
Delco-Remy was successful in designing and manufacturing an ignition system that was superior to the conventional system and it continued to be superior for almost two decades.

To quote a Society of Automotive Engineers paper dated 1963 (after the system was developed):"The new Delcotronic Transistor Controlled magnetic pulse-type ignition system provides long maintenance-free life and high reliability which have been sought for many years. It accomplishes this end by totally eliminating the components which traditionally have been most subject to inaccuracy, wear, and deterioration."

The accomplishment of Delco-Remy's goals were made possible largely by the elimination of the familiar contact point set and substituting a magnetic triggering device. This solid-state device composed of a stationary magnetic pickup assembly and a rotating pole piece, provided an excellent signal to trigger the Transistorized Ignition (TI) system.

In order to fire each spark plug, it is necessary to induce a high voltage in the ignition coil secondary winding by opening the circuit to the coil primary winding. In conventional systems, this is accomplished by opening the distributor contact points. In the TI system, this is accomplished by inducing a voltage pulse in the distributor pickup coil which is conducted to the pulse amplifier where it signals a "triggering" transistor to turn off a "switching" transistor. This action interrupts ignition primary current flow, inducing high voltage in the secondary ignition circuit. The pulse amplifier does this opening of the circuit in a more efficient manner, which in part explains the improved performance of the TI system. In addition, while contact point deterioration problems limit primary current in the conventional system to about 4.5 amps, the TI system can operate as high as 8 amps which further enhances the performance of the system.

The Deltronic ignition system (now more commonly referred to as Transistorized Ignition or TI) overcomes all of the previously mentioned limitations of the conventional system because TI:

1. Will yield higher spark plug voltage.
2. Will operate at extremely high speeds without losing ignition performance.
3. Is essentially maintenance free.

An example of the TI system superiority can be seen when looking at the output voltage at the spark plug versus the speed of the vehicle. At 10 mph a conventional system is developing 24,000 volts versus 25,000 for the TI. However, at 100 mph the conventional system is down to 17,000 volts and the TI is at 24,000, which is 40% more voltage to fire the fuel/air mixture under high load conditions. In addition to this, the system will still function properly at speeds exceeding 9,000 rpm.

Chevy infiltrator 12.34 @ 109.45 with a 1.73 sixty foot

Pure Stock
Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: DonnyBrass] #1143683
01/10/12 07:36 PM
01/10/12 07:36 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Hey Donny congrats on your car in the new Hemmings Muscle Machines. Ron

Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: 383man] #1143684
01/10/12 10:09 PM
01/10/12 10:09 PM
Phila Pa
S
scatpacktom Offline
master
scatpacktom  Offline
master
S

Phila Pa
Hey look at all these lurkers comin' out of the woodwork!!! This is what winter is for? It is a Chevy INFILTRATION

Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: 383man] #1143685
01/10/12 10:20 PM
01/10/12 10:20 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
i said i wasnt going to comment on what should or shouldnt be allowed......but i guess i cant keep all of it in.

the PSMCD race in Stanton attracts a very broad range of cars from the glory years of American Muscle.

as a pure hi performance car "fan", i cant think of any American car maker that didnt offer up something i liked.
i find it hard to imagine there would be a racing series that highlights these fantastic machines.......and instead of finding some way of trying to make sure all of the best pieces each brand had to offer had a place to play.....the rules are constructed in a way that excludes some of the best-of-the-best.
personaly, i would LOVE to see some correctly restored(as in....before any mods were done by their owners) Hemi race cars, T-Bolts, lite weight GM iron, and all the rest.....right there in the staging lanes with all those shiney Muscle cars.
even if they had their own class(F/R..."Factory Race"), just get them to the event.

i would imagine that most of the people attending the PSMCD events would consider themselves "car guys".
that being said, i cant imagine too many people being upset at watching those things roaring down the 1/4 mile.

but hey......thats just how i see it.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: fast68plymouth] #1143686
01/10/12 10:26 PM
01/10/12 10:26 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

I conclude.
The Factory Race cars should sit with each other as they were delivered or picked up. Black Gel fenders and all. Think of it as a Big Brother F.A.S.T class on Red bull. LoL.

Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: fast68plymouth] #1143687
01/10/12 10:31 PM
01/10/12 10:31 PM
NY
X
XXHEMI Offline
super stock
XXHEMI  Offline
super stock
X

NY
Regaurding the Top 10 Cars in Pure Stock how many of them are certified?

Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: fast68plymouth] #1143688
01/11/12 12:23 AM
01/11/12 12:23 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

i said i wasnt going to comment on what should or shouldnt be allowed......but i guess i cant keep all of it in.

the PSMCD race in Stanton attracts a very broad range of cars from the glory years of American Muscle.

as a pure hi performance car "fan", i cant think of any American car maker that didnt offer up something i liked.
i find it hard to imagine there would be a racing series that highlights these fantastic machines.......and instead of finding some way of trying to make sure all of the best pieces each brand had to offer had a place to play.....the rules are constructed in a way that excludes some of the best-of-the-best.
personaly, i would LOVE to see some correctly restored(as in....before any mods were done by their owners) Hemi race cars, T-Bolts, lite weight GM iron, and all the rest.....right there in the staging lanes with all those shiney Muscle cars.
even if they had their own class(F/R..."Factory Race"), just get them to the event.

i would imagine that most of the people attending the PSMCD events would consider themselves "car guys".
that being said, i cant imagine too many people being upset at watching those things roaring down the 1/4 mile.

but hey......thats just how i see it.

Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: fast68plymouth] #1143689
01/11/12 08:47 PM
01/11/12 08:47 PM
St Clair Shores, MI
DonnyBrass Offline
mopar
DonnyBrass  Offline
mopar

St Clair Shores, MI
Quote:

i wont get into the debate about which cars should be allowed, and which ones are cheating the most......
but i will say......

i definately enjoy those "ride along" videos

I am glad to hear that... it's a lot of work getting all that footage up on the Tube

Quote:

Hey Donny congrats on your car in the new Hemmings Muscle Machines. Ron

Thanks, Ron, that little car is running pretty good.

Pure Stock
Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: Chevy454] #1143690
01/12/12 07:07 AM
01/12/12 07:07 AM
Melbourne.....Oz-land
Moparmal Offline OP
master
Moparmal  Offline OP
master

Melbourne.....Oz-land
Quote:

As far as "no warranty, no play", with all due respect...... that is simply a "convenient decision" drawn up to keep the Chebs competative.

Its a cynical decision which most MOPAR people are accustomed to seeing from ruling bodies who are scared that Chrysler will chase the opposition away.

Quote:

Mopar turned the tables and got the L88 bounced from the NHRA guide before it could beat the Hemi cars to the 8s in S/S...I believe this was just prior to the debut of SS/AH?

Well I'm glad i stirred up some debate, and I've learned a bit about "the enemy" in the process.

@ Chev 454 (Rob) - With all due repsect, your answer above doesn't address the issue related to the 70 1964 Hardtop Hemi "non-package" cars and why they are not allowed?

They were warranteed, and road registered, and dealer ordered.

So far I haven't read a decent reason as to why they are disallowed.

FWIW I don't live in your country and I don't know a lot of the "history" or "ins and outs"...but on the face of it - it sucks.

67 RO23 clone with 6.1 SRT Hemi and dual quads. Soon to have Drag Pak induction and Throttle body.
Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: Moparmal] #1143691
01/12/12 12:58 PM
01/12/12 12:58 PM
Ozark Mountains
C
Chevy454 Offline
I Love Mopars
Chevy454  Offline
I Love Mopars
C

Ozark Mountains
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well I'm glad i stirred up some debate, and I've learned a bit about "the enemy" in the process.

@ Chev 454 (Rob) - With all due repsect, your answer above doesn't address the issue related to the 70 1964 Hardtop Hemi "non-package" cars and why they are not allowed?

They were warranteed, and road registered, and dealer ordered.

So far I haven't read a decent reason as to why they are disallowed.

FWIW I don't live in your country and I don't know a lot of the "history" or "ins and outs"...but on the face of it - it sucks.

If I recall, the main issue was with the exhaust.

Ironically, about the same time the big debate in PS/FAST was raging over this car, the NHRA was doing a dance of it's own: started out they could be steel and/or aluminum nose, then aluminum nose only, then they reversed it, then they added the NASCAR single-4bbl Hemi...it was like a soap opera there for a bit. Just something polarizing about that combo...

Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: Chevy454] #1143692
01/17/12 08:07 PM
01/17/12 08:07 PM
St Clair Shores, MI
DonnyBrass Offline
mopar
DonnyBrass  Offline
mopar

St Clair Shores, MI
Quote:

If I recall, the main issue was with the exhaust.

I think it has been discussed once or twice

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

Pure Stock
Re: Pure Stock - Oh the humiliation......... [Re: DonnyBrass] #1143693
01/18/12 12:59 AM
01/18/12 12:59 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts