M
mshred Offline
master
mshred  Offline
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

This thread just go to show why there are not many headsup mopars out there and why there are so many 10 second gutted big tire bracket mopars , IMPRESSIVE I GUESS.

reading this thread was giving me the exact same thoughts lol

Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: Eric] #1138801
12/19/11 11:51 AM
12/19/11 11:51 AM
Hilltown Pa
1967dartgt Offline
master
1967dartgt  Offline
master

Hilltown Pa
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry I like small tire racing and have seen how fast you can go on lets say a 28-10.5-15. So when a car with 32-16.5-15 rolls up and runs a 9 or 10 sec pass I think what a waste . My car has run 9.55 at 143 na. This is with a 1.43 60 ft so there's some left on the table. I run at 3250lbs on caltracs and 295 drag radials through mufflers just like I drive it on the street, no changes to car to go drag racing. So sorry if I see a big tire car go the same as my car I am not impressed.

I'd start working on your 60ft's....I left harder in a 10.60 Duster with a .509 cammed stock block that could run on kerosene

Wes....nice to see you back buddy...I'll give you a ring tomarrow night

I guess that is what I meant about leaving a little on the table. I have 60fted faster in the same car with a smaller motor that ran 9.90s na. Was having problems getting this new motor to leave hard on a small tire.

Last edited by 1967DartGT; 12/19/11 11:52 AM.

Brett Miller W9 cnc'd heads
STR Chassis fabraction
Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: pittsburghracer] #1138802
12/19/11 11:57 AM
12/19/11 11:57 AM
Hilltown Pa
1967dartgt Offline
master
1967dartgt  Offline
master

Hilltown Pa
Quote:

As far as the argument about only running DRAG RADIALS. You guys wouldn't be able hook these cars without the chassis improvements made over the years and the way these STREET TIRES have improved over the years. Make a pass with a slick and then the equivalent sized drag radial and the car goes faster with the street tires. Don't believe it do some research. Now as far as tuning a nitrous powered car. Buy a book, get on the computer, call a nitrous rep, ( monty or many others ), change a pill, retard the timing, programmable timings, and push a button. Heck now you can just hook it up to the gas peddle.

I guess all this new technology hasn't done anything for NA cars huh? The exact same thing can be said about building a na motor you can just buy a book and learn to port your own heads and go fast. So easy a monkey could do it.

STR Chassis fabraction
Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1138803
12/19/11 12:05 PM
12/19/11 12:05 PM
Hilltown Pa
1967dartgt Offline
master
1967dartgt  Offline
master

Hilltown Pa
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry I like small tire racing and have seen how fast you can go on lets say a 28-10.5-15. So when a car with 32-16.5-15 rolls up and runs a 9 or 10 sec pass I think what a waste . My car has run 9.55 at 143 na. This is with a 1.43 60 ft so there's some left on the table. I run at 3250lbs on caltracs and 295 drag radials through mufflers just like I drive it on the street, no changes to car to go drag racing. So sorry if I see a big tire car go the same as my car I am not impressed.

Brad..

Some of us use big tire for our own reasons.

Index racing, for example is just as much of a science as running 400hp of NOS.

As Monte has always said, big tires are most likely, slowing you down.. And Fred proved it.

Me, Al Alguire, and Mopar Billy all run too big of a tire for 10.90 cars don't we..

At 2850# plus and 800+ hp and only running 10.90.. Oh, @ 140-155mph.. What a waste right?

I'll take my 5 Wallys any day, and watch impressed at the N2O cars on 10.5 tires.. Love it!!!! Don't Hate It!!!

I did that years ago, then met Gecker, grew up and went Super Class racing. And I'm happy with that..

Chris..

Once again I prefer small tire racing, just my thing. I have been running 10.0 index racing the last two years and have had lots of fun. I wish I could afford a heads up class but its not in the budget with a wife and a kid. So I guess all these guys running heads up classes just have grown up? I guess someone should tell all the sponsors to not bother because these guys when they grow up are just going to go class racing. And tell all this turbo, supercharger and nitrous companies to stop all there R&D and not to bother to make us faster, because we just need to grow up.LOL

STR Chassis fabraction
Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: mshred] #1138804
12/19/11 12:06 PM
12/19/11 12:06 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
Quote:

Quote:

This thread just go to show why there are not many headsup mopars out there and why there are so many 10 second gutted big tire bracket mopars , IMPRESSIVE I GUESS.

I have a big tire bracket Mopar, it's all in what you can afford or want I guess. I had a small tire 10 second bracket car but it just wouldn't launch with enough consistency so I built a big tire car. I can't afford to run heads up classes nor are there enough of those races around here for me to justify building that kind of car. Bracket racing allows me to race more and consistency is the name of the game in brackets, and a big tire car is the only way to go.

If everyone wanted to race heads up then that would be the only type of racing there is but it isn't. To each there own. You know 9 out of 10 men that have tried Camels prefer women but there is always that other percent.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: Guitar Jones] #1138805
12/19/11 12:09 PM
12/19/11 12:09 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline
master
mshred  Offline
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have a big tire bracket Mopar, it's all in what you can afford or want I guess. I had a small tire 10 second bracket car but it just wouldn't launch with enough consistency so I built a big tire car. I can't afford to run heads up classes nor are there enough of those races around here for me to justify building that kind of car. Bracket racing allows me to race more and consistency is the name of the game in brackets, and a big tire car is the only way to go.

If everyone wanted to race heads up then that would be the only type of racing there is but it isn't. To each there own. You know 9 out of 10 men that have tried Camels prefer women but there is always that other percent.

I agree its all about what you can afford and what you want to do at the end of the day, I was just referring more to some of the attitudes present thats all...Alot of fast heads up cars use nitrous, and there is nothing wrong with that...And you don't see many heads up mopars at all so lol....thats all I was getting at man

Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: pittsburghracer] #1138806
12/19/11 12:18 PM
12/19/11 12:18 PM
Hilltown Pa
1967dartgt Offline
master
1967dartgt  Offline
master

Hilltown Pa
Quote:

Quote:

i'm really surprised at all the nitrous haters here. we build engines for class racers, N/A bracket combo's and all kinds of "power adder" combo's. frankly, all of them are impressive in my book when they go out and run the numbers they were designed to run. obviously all of the above mentioned get built specific to specs to be reliable, but the differences in each type can be startling to the uninformed.
i suppose this thread just illustrates the need for more than vanilla. carry on.

First of all I never said I hated nitrous. Its just that when you take a car like Thumpers, Sledgies, and many others on Moparts and thru hard work and getting their hands a little dirty have great running NA cars. They did it the hard way and I know they fell better or should fell better than the guy that slaps on a SYSTEM to get there the easy way.

Guess I did work as hard to get my car to go 9.55 na because I have nitrous on it? Do you think I could go faster na if I tuned it for that? maybe? But you know I am just cheating.

STR Chassis fabraction
Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: Leon441] #1138807
12/19/11 12:28 PM
12/19/11 12:28 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Quote:

...I am impressed with anything that runs great for what it is.

I'll not bother to post the long-winded reply I'd come up with originally and keep my response limited to agreeing w/ Leon's statement above.

Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: BradH] #1138808
12/19/11 12:59 PM
12/19/11 12:59 PM
Tucson AZ.
RADAMX Offline
enthusiast
RADAMX  Offline
enthusiast

Tucson AZ.
I have tried the small tire Nitrous heads up deal .Cost way more than I can afford.Lots of fun and One crazy ride .
The car is fast but does not go rounds in a bracket.
I am building a faster light weight N/A big tire car.
Guess what . the N/A car is a lot easier and cheaper to build and run.
Not knocking either, but for me Brackets are in the future and the light big tire car is it.
Now for a wild ride a couple of times a year I will go with the Nitrous car.

Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: NTOLERANCE] #1138809
12/19/11 01:20 PM
12/19/11 01:20 PM
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline
master
maximum entropy  Offline
master
M

organ
hey, i had a guy accuse me of cheating back in my street racing days because "i had gears". i told him ,"fast is fast, dude." i raced a scamp identical to mine at the track a couple of years ago. mine is n/a, his was sprayed. he had a system snafu, and i spanked him. i've been there, too. now my car is quick for a street car, n/a. am i thinking about spraying it? YOU BET!

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: RADAMX] #1138810
12/19/11 01:26 PM
12/19/11 01:26 PM
Victoria, Australia
Ian Offline
super stock
Ian  Offline
super stock

Victoria, Australia
i have run gas for over twenty years on my street cars running 6.3 the 1/8 with mufflers then towing my mate drag car to the strip az well at 3550 lbs 2800 stall and mild combo lots of n/a guys say to me wish they went the same way there cars were pigs on the street

1.37 60 ft [email]6.0@113[/email] [email]9.57@141[/email] 408 glide 3550lbs
new video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Xvq3ZObywQE
Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: RADAMX] #1138811
12/19/11 01:44 PM
12/19/11 01:44 PM
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
Quote:

I have tried the small tire Nitrous heads up deal .Cost way more than I can afford.Lots of fun and One crazy ride .
Not knocking either, but for me Brackets are in the future and the light big tire car is it.

I had a blast for years running high 9's with a light weight big tire streetable car. When I switched to a small tire nitrous car I quickly realized I couldn't even afford to fill the bottles and the small tires only seemed to work good for about 25 passes and the car was heavier.

My next drag car will no doubt be a light weight car with a fairly big tire and a mild pump gas motor that you can have a blast racing all weekend.

I love watching power adder cars, especially the crazy nitrous cars but it sure aint for me, especially when you can sit on youtube for hours and see how many of these small tire power adder cars are piling into the wall on a daily basis all over the world, I surely can't afford that but it IS what fans want to see and the sport needs fans.

I'm currently taking a break for a few years from all of it, got me a twin screw supercharged car that gets over 20mpg and is an absolute blast to drive all day long. I'll have a Mopar drag car again someday though, maybe.

6974396-1024X670C.jpg (36 downloads)

1970 Challenger, all aluminum 528 Hemi, HDK suspension, Tremec 5 speed manual
Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: ProSport] #1138812
12/19/11 01:54 PM
12/19/11 01:54 PM
Hilltown Pa
1967dartgt Offline
master
1967dartgt  Offline
master

Hilltown Pa
Quote:

Quote:

I had a blast for years running high 9's with a light weight big tire streetable car. When I switched to a small tire nitrous car I quickly realized I couldn't even afford to fill the bottles and the small tires only seemed to work good for about 25 passes and the car was heavier.

My next drag car will no doubt be a light weight car with a fairly big tire and a mild pump gas motor that you can have a blast racing all weekend.

I love watching power adder cars, especially the crazy nitrous cars but it sure aint for me, especially when you can sit on youtube for hours and see how many of these small tire power adder cars are piling into the wall on a daily basis all over the world, I surely can't afford that but it IS what fans want to see and the sport needs fans.

I'm currently taking a break for a few years from all of it, got me a twin screw supercharged car that gets over 20mpg and is an absolute blast to drive all day long. I'll have a Mopar drag car again someday though, maybe.

Come on it cheap horsepower guys just bolt on and hit button. What are you talking about that it is expensive? LOL

PS those are some nasty looking amc's

STR Chassis fabraction
Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: ProSport] #1138813
12/19/11 01:55 PM
12/19/11 01:55 PM
nc
E
earthmover Offline
top fuel
earthmover  Offline
top fuel
E

nc
build your car to run your way...thats on them if they dont like it just as long as your having fun..thats what its all about...nos,turbo,supercharger,hell three guys pushing it as long as its fun......i tell you what dont impress me to buy a drag pak car for xxxx amount and it dont run as fast as i thought it would..saw some at the vmp this year not my cup of tea..nice cars but i love the old stuff..

Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: pittsburghracer] #1138814
12/19/11 02:16 PM
12/19/11 02:16 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Quote:

i'm really surprised at all the nitrous haters here. we build engines for class racers, N/A bracket combo's and all kinds of "power adder" combo's. frankly, all of them are impressive in my book when they go out and run the numbers they were designed to run. obviously all of the above mentioned get built specific to specs to be reliable, but the differences in each type can be startling to the uninformed.
i suppose this thread just illustrates the need for more than vanilla. carry on.

First of all I never said I hated nitrous. Its just that when you take a car like Thumpers, Sledgies, and many others on Moparts and thru hard work and getting their hands a little dirty have great running NA cars. They did it the hard way and I know they fell better or should fell better than the guy that slaps on a SYSTEM to get there the easy way.

I`ll take that as a complement...... I`ve only lost street races to nos cars so the stuff has it`s place of course one guy blew his moter up but hey, that`s racing. I WILL have the fastest n/a standard port rpm headed 3200lb. car soon..............impressive, maybe to some and way impressive to me as it takes a bit more finess to go 9.70 w/my dated junk.

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: fasthawk6] #1138815
12/19/11 04:23 PM
12/19/11 04:23 PM
Baltimore,MD
Bill_LBSR Offline
super stock
Bill_LBSR  Offline
super stock

Baltimore,MD
Quote:

This thread just go to show why there are not many headsup mopars out there and why there are so many 10 second gutted big tire bracket mopars

LBSR
Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: fasthawk6] #1138816
12/19/11 05:26 PM
12/19/11 05:26 PM
Oklahoma
silverfish Offline
super stock
silverfish  Offline
super stock

Oklahoma
Wow. Heard about this thread so I came in here and read thru all this stupid BS. I think the amount of clueless people on this site grows every single year. If you don't know what you're talking about then just keep your mouth shut.

What's crazy to me is the people on here that think you can just throw a nitrous system on a motor and abra cadabra it runs 7s or 8s, lol. Don't you think if it was that easy there would be a lot more cars out there doing this?? And to say a nitrous guys doesn't put in the time and effort to make his car fast that a NA guys does? Thats a pretty stupid statement as well. It takes years of trial and error and research to get a car fast like that with nitrous, turbo, supercharger, NA, or whatever. I'm equally impressed with all of them!

It took us YEARS to get to where we are now with our car. Years of blood, sweat, tears, hard work, money, aggravation, joy, etc to get our car to run like this....

silverfish video

If you think you can just bolt on a $400 "system" and lay down a pass like that at 3300# and 28x10.5 tires then I want to see it! And I know thats not nearly as quick as some of the other cars like ours but its still pretty quick. And this year we will go much quicker. We're gonna bolt on a $600 "System" this time, lol.

Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: Bill_LBSR] #1138817
12/19/11 05:32 PM
12/19/11 05:32 PM
Motor City
6PKRTSE Offline
master
6PKRTSE  Offline
master

Motor City
Quote:

Quote:

This thread just go to show why there are not many headsup mopars out there and why there are so many 10 second gutted big tire bracket mopars

I agree also. I for one am an "all motor" kind of guy by heart. However, my desire to go faster & to get more Mopars out in the small tire heads up classes has caused me to gather up enough nitrous to nuke a small town. I have 2 foggers, a dual stage cross plate & a couple of other smaller plate kits & 12 bottles laying around. Trying to decide which combo to go with when I build the next 440 based nitous combo until the big alum hemi twin turbo combo is ready. I also have a couple of 106MM turbo's laying around for the Hemi build. Can't complain though most has all been accumulated for free for working/building other peoples cars.

1963 Belvedere 440 Max Wedge Tribute
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 Six Pack
1970 Challenger R/T, 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 383
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440
1996 2500 RAM 488 V-10 4X4
2004 3500 Dually Cummins 4x4
2012 Challenger R/T Classic.
Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: 6PKRTSE] #1138818
12/19/11 05:52 PM
12/19/11 05:52 PM
oh
julian2007 Offline
super stock
julian2007  Offline
super stock

oh
I can't say I'm a nos expert but have used it to qualify for some quick shows where we were out classed.That being said it is allot of extra work bottle heaters,filling bottles,changing bottles,getting the tuneup to do what you want,getting the chassis to except it.making sure it is not going to eat the rings ect ect ect.Any fool can bolt on a kit and go kind of fast is a true statement but to do it on a regular basis and not smash anything and go rounds is something very different.

All that being said I don't run it anymore because I don't have the time it requires to do it correctly and just ain't interested in the class. I do love to watch them run though and HELL YES THEY DO IMPRESS ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God made cold beer,good friends,hot ladies and race cars don't spit in his face by pi$$ing and moaning about how life sucks!!!
Re: Do nitrous cars impress you? [Re: Bill_LBSR] #1138819
12/19/11 06:11 PM
12/19/11 06:11 PM
Dayton, Ohio
W
wldtm Offline
super stock
wldtm  Offline
super stock
W

Dayton, Ohio
When I was 16, I wanted to have the fastest d*mn thing I could afford. It end up being a mild 8 to 1 compression forged piston 360, with a sniper kit. (the cheapest kit nos sold at the time). With the jets provided, it dropped the et by 1.5 seconds. The engine wasnt very efficiet because it was all i could afford. But the nitrous helped, and made the truck more drivable.

Plain and simple, it cost money to go fast, NA, power added, flux capacitors... whatever.

Everybody has a budget, and to make equivalent power NA, sometimes it takes more money for good parts. At the entry level, people can go faster with nitrous, but I wouldnt say the same for cars that run heads up 10.5 racing for example.

Budget always dictates goals and aspirations (at least for the majority)!!

Budget minded fast ET's are cool, especially ones that are reliable.

I dont care if it is a bracket car, street car, drag car, or a bicycle, if it runs like h&ll and doesnt break the bank, then it is probably fun.

What doesnt impress me is a car that has not been sorted out, or was not researched well when built. As my father tells me, its the hole combination of everything working together, not just one thing.

By the way should we start this same argument for sticks vs auto, see signature below JK of course....

Interested in having you car wired? Drag car, street car, EFI swap? PM for details
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9