12/05/11 07:47 PM
12/05/11 07:47 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline OP
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline OP
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
Recently I decided to replace my timing cover gasket on the 'Cuda in order to fix a small water leak. I thought that since these aluminum covers have been known to corrode I would install a new timing cover at the same time. I ordered a new timing cover [ part # P5249930AB ] from Mancini Racing. This is the MP part not the cheaper Mancini house brand. Let me say right now that this is NOT a anti-Mancini rant, they have agreed to take it back and refund my credit charge account, so unless they renege I have no quarrel with them. Now as to the problem. When I received it I noticed that it was considerably heavier than an OEM piece, but other than some sharp edges it looked OK. I did notice there wasn't anything to indicate the country of origin, just two letters and the words "timing cover, replace original equipment". I waited until after I installed the front main seal and painted it before pulling my old OEM [ made in Canada ] cover off the engine. After setting the new gasket in place I tried putting the new cover on. NO WAY was it seating in the oil pan. After cleaning the gasket sealer off the new cover I made a very thorough inspection of the new cover relative to the OEM piece. When you placed them back to back the problem became obvious. The new cover is nearly 1/8 in. wider at the semi-circular section just under the "ears". If you weigh 400 lbs or use a really big bar you might be able to force it on, but you will probably warp the oil pan doing it. If the engine is on a stand with the oil pan off it will certainly bolt to the front of the engine, but you will play h&*%$ getting the front of the pan on. This has been really annoying, first I paid $20.00 extra to get the MP cover instead of the house brand thinking I would get OEM quality and I've wasted a good seal and gasket set. To say nothing of the time involved. At least my original cover is sound and reusable. I wish I had the skills to post pictures, but I hope I've explained it adequately. I am not a professional engine builder, but I have been doing this for nearly half a century [ yeah, I am old ] so I am not exactly a novice either, or that I haven't ever done this kind of work before. I can only imagine what someone who is inexperienced would try to do in this situation. Get a bigger hammer, maybe? An 1/8 in. may not sound like much and this area is supposed to be a snug fit since it seals the pan to the timing cover, but certainly not this tight.

Re: Warning! Replacement sm. blk. timing covers/ long [Re: 5spdcuda] #1128331
12/05/11 08:28 PM
12/05/11 08:28 PM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
Kinda sounds like somebody took measurements off of an assembled engine without an OEM cover for reference and not taking into account the area the seal would occupy?

Coincidently, I've been planning on getting a new timing cover for myself, but from Pioneer, Inc. in MS. Would you happen to know if either of the covers you mentioned are from there? (I don't have the Pioneer # handy at the moment.)

Re: Warning! Replacement sm. blk. timing covers/ long [Re: Locomotion] #1128332
12/05/11 09:14 PM
12/05/11 09:14 PM
Kissimmee Fl.
D
dusturbd340W5 Offline
master
dusturbd340W5  Offline
master
D

Kissimmee Fl.
they must have been changed in the last 2 years or maybe just a bad 1.
I got a MP piece 2 years ago and it fit great.
But it wouldn't surprise me at all.

70 duster full chassis super pro 416 CNC Indybrock heads 727 w/brake

best so far 1.212 60 6.219 in 1/8 at 110.88 9.768 at 137.81 1/4
Re: Warning! Replacement sm. blk. timing covers/ long [Re: dusturbd340W5] #1128333
12/05/11 09:53 PM
12/05/11 09:53 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
I guess I'm too cheap for that, I just use used stuff for something like that. I have a couple timing covers if you need one. Even a magnum one that I was going to use on my new 408 because it has ears to bolt a diaper to, but I would need to make (or buy) a new water pump plate and engine plate to mount it, so I just kept the old one and will make a belly pan.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Warning! Replacement sm. blk. timing covers/ long [Re: Locomotion] #1128334
12/05/11 09:57 PM
12/05/11 09:57 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline OP
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline OP
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
Sorry no indication of who made it or where. I suspect that someone made a mold of an OEM cover and then made sand castings overseas [ China, India ? ]. This is a machined surface so I think that's where the problem lies. Just inaccurate work. This casting is noticeably thicker and heavier than the OEM castings. Maybe they did this because they were unable to hold to tighter tolerances.

Re: Warning! Replacement sm. blk. timing covers/ long [Re: Guitar Jones] #1128335
12/05/11 10:05 PM
12/05/11 10:05 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline OP
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline OP
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
Thanks for the offer. I have some other old ones here, but they are the old style where the seal installs from inside the cover. Whenever possible I prefer the new style that installs from the front. I think they're easier to work with and if necessary the seal can be replaced without pulling the cover. Actually this was a first for me, I usually recycle old ones too. I guess that's what I get for trying not to cheap out for a change.