12/01/11 02:08 PM
12/01/11 02:08 PM
minnarusta
TX9H6E4CUDA Offline OP
master
TX9H6E4CUDA  Offline OP
master

minnarusta
I'm wondering what application would work as a fast ratio pitman arm and where to get the best priced one? Its for my 1971 Superbee so what will work?

Last edited by TX9H6E4CUDA; 12/01/11 08:59 PM.

For the absolute best powder coating go to J.I.T powder coating, contact infomation is in my personal profile..
Re: Fast ratio pitman arms what should i get??? [Re: TX9H6E4CUDA] #1125006
12/01/11 05:20 PM
12/01/11 05:20 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
Goto firmfeel's website, it explains the fitment. tim

Re: Fast ratio pitman arms what should i get??? [Re: astjp2] #1125007
12/01/11 08:43 PM
12/01/11 08:43 PM
minnarusta
TX9H6E4CUDA Offline OP
master
TX9H6E4CUDA  Offline OP
master

minnarusta
I'm sorry maybe I should of been more clear in my post. I was wondering if any cars had what they considered fast ratio pitman arm that would interchange with my car? Like Diplomat squads or any other cars? I'm kinda a cheap azz and just seeing the interchange?
Also was the steering gears any different in ratio wise? Are police ones or any other cars faster ratio or are they all the same ratio?
Just wondering

For the absolute best powder coating go to J.I.T powder coating, contact infomation is in my personal profile..
Re: Fast ratio pitman arms what should i get??? [Re: TX9H6E4CUDA] #1125008
12/01/11 11:36 PM
12/01/11 11:36 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I read here some time ago that C body cars had what equated to a Fast ratio pitman arm. Sound cheap enough?
Dont forget the idler arm. I dont think that the C body idler works in the A/B and E cars, so a call to Firm Feel will be needed for that.

Re: Fast ratio pitman arms what should i get??? [Re: Kern Dog] #1125009
12/02/11 12:15 AM
12/02/11 12:15 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
The 71 C-body idler will bolt to an E or B body to match a fast ratio pitman.

The fast ratio pitman has a smaller taper on the end ball joint than a C-body pitman. So it won't bolt to your factory centerlink. They also have a large output shaft diameter that all 73-up power steering boxes in A/B/C/E/F/M/J bodies have.

The C-body pitman has different spline indexing keyways. So if you bolt it to your B/E body the steering won't turn all the way to one side but turn too much to the other side. About 20 years ago I talked to a guy that bought what he thought was a Fast Ratio pitman the car wouldn't turn all the way to one side. And it rubbed stuff. A mess. I'm guessing it was just a repackaged C-body pitman. It was bought from...wait for it.... Barracuda Classics!

I'm not sure if the C-body pitman is the same geometry at the Fast Ratio T/A pitman. But the repro Fast Ratio pitmans have "Fast Ratio" casted into them. So they are not just reworked C-body pitman casting.

The F/M/J pitmans are not long enough to be Fast Ratio. Nor have the correcty geometry.

So in conclusion, you need to get a Firm Feel Fast Ratio.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 12/02/11 12:43 AM.
Re: Fast ratio pitman arms what should i get??? [Re: autoxcuda] #1125010
12/02/11 01:33 AM
12/02/11 01:33 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

The fast ratio pitman has a smaller taper on the end ball joint than a C-body pitman. So it won't bolt to your factory centerlink. They also have a large output shaft diameter that all 73-up power steering boxes in A/B/C/E/F/M/J bodies have.

The C-body pitman has different spline indexing keyways. So if you bolt it to your B/E body the steering won't turn all the way to one side but turn too much to the other side. About 20 years ago I talked to a guy that bought what he thought was a Fast Ratio pitman the car wouldn't turn all the way to one side. And it rubbed stuff. A mess. I'm guessing it was just a repackaged C-body pitman. It was bought from...wait for it.... Barracuda Classics!

I'm not sure if the C-body pitman is the same geometry at the Fast Ratio T/A pitman. But the repro Fast Ratio pitmans have "Fast Ratio" casted into them. So they are not just reworked C-body pitman casting.

The F/M/J pitmans are not long enough to be Fast Ratio. Nor have the correcty geometry.

If its just the indexing keyway cant you just grind
a tooth out for a new indexing .... if the geometry
is correct... that should get the pitman arm back
in center

Re: Fast ratio pitman arms what should i get??? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1125011
12/02/11 01:24 PM
12/02/11 01:24 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

If its just the indexing keyway cant you just grind
a tooth out for a new indexing .... if the geometry
is correct... that should get the pitman arm back
in center

More than that.

Then you still have a the ball joint taper being wrong so it won't bolt onto your centerlink.

And the up and down position of the C-body pitman is wrong. Thats why they have a complete different casting for the firm feel unit. The centerlink needs to be level so as not to wear the idler bearings out and cause strange bumpsteer.