09/01/08 02:47 PM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
Quote:

I'm really considering removing the power booster from my '73 Satellite. I need to remove it for painting anyway, I just never liked power brakes.
So, I just need to find the rod and an adapter to the master cylinder. I don't want to butcher it, though. That's why I was wondering about the aluminum cylinder. I'm putting the car on a diet....

My '72 is on a diet also. And I have done the same thing that you're planning on. You will need some parts though.

Use the same brake pedal.

The new manual master gets mounted in a slightly different location than the power booster. The manual (IIRC) is mounted slightly lower than the power booster. The power unit has a lever linkage in the pedal assembly than provides the plunger travel for the booster to operate the m/c in the power brakes setup. On the manual setup, the m/c is mounted lower to take advantage of the pedal ratio to operate the m/c plunger with enough force to provide satisfactory braking. Because of the slightly different location, you will need a brake master cylinder reinforcement plate that I believe is not on the power booster assembly. You may be able to get one off a donor manual brake car (disc or drum should work), or perhaps (I haven't looked into it in ages) someone is reproducing them. You may be able to make one up. If you don't have it, you'll have a gap in the firewall just above the m/c.

Also, along with the different m/c, you'll need a new pushrod. There are adjustable ones available in the aftermarket. Sorry, I can't remember where I picked mine up, but it might have been Mancini or Greg at MagnumHP. Make sure the pushrod has the rubber retaining grommet to keep it from falling out of the m/c piston.

I don't have a good picture of my firewall handy.
I might be able to post pics in a few days.

Good luck.

Marq

Pic of M/C, adapter bracke and firewall reinforce plate [Re: MoparMarq] #111851
09/03/08 01:57 PM
09/03/08 01:57 PM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
Took some pics the other day.

This one is of the m/c. You can see the adapter bracket in polish behind it. IIRC, the bracket is made by AndyF, sold by a number of dealers, one of whom is GregHP here on Moparts. (www.magnumhp.com).
Behind the adapter bracket is the reinforcing plate that covers the otherwise gap that would exist when you remove the power brakes booster assembly. I don't know that it actually does much "reinforcing", since the force on the firewall (from the brake pedal) is outward toward the engine rather than inward toward the cabin.
Might be some inward force also from the torque applied by the pedal/master cylinder assembly.

The reinforcing plate on my car is used and, though it doesn't show in the pic, was pitted and needed a lot of TLC to get it into reasonable shape. You might be able to fab one that fits the bill.

The adapter bracket has the studs that go through the firewall and pedal assembly brackets under the dash to provide the strength to the setup.

The m/c is a MP unit 1-1/32" bore. Don't know how I like the pedal feel, as the car is not on the road yet. Statically, the pedal is nice and firm, (to my liking) but the stopping power is still unknown.

-Marq

Page 2 of 2 1 2