11/01/11 08:46 PM
11/01/11 08:46 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
I have a 1998 Ram that seems to have a bad computer. There is no fuel, no fire and 3 different OBDII readers could not link up. There is 12v to the OBDII connector and the fuel pump does not even prime.

So anyway, I decided to spend the money on a rebuilt unit rather than a used unit, but where to order it from? I noticed there are several websites that offer them, but I don't know if I can trust any of them. Anyone order one from a place where they had a good experience?

Last edited by DUFFMAN; 11/04/11 09:04 PM.

No longer taking $h!t from anyone!
Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: DUFFMAN] #1105424
11/01/11 09:04 PM
11/01/11 09:04 PM
PA
70Duster Offline
top fuel
70Duster  Offline
top fuel

PA
I bought one from the local NAPA many years ago and it's still working fine.

Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: 70Duster] #1105425
11/01/11 09:16 PM
11/01/11 09:16 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Just looked at NAPA's website, they're more than double the cost of the online vendors I've been looking at. At NAPA'S price I'd take the risk with a junkyard unit.

Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: 70Duster] #1105426
11/01/11 09:21 PM
11/01/11 09:21 PM
ST clair shores MI
M
moretoys Offline
top fuel
moretoys  Offline
top fuel
M

ST clair shores MI
I would get a wire diagram first.I have seen a few with corroded wire inside the harness near the driver inner fender.It is a power wire that feeds the asd and fuel pump relay as well as the check engine light in the dash.Before you spend money on a pcm,make sure you have the proper power and grounds at the pcm.It is possible that the pcm is bad,I would check wiring first.There is a branch of wire were 1 wire splits off into 4(or so) directions,it corrodes,loose connection there.between battery and firewall.

Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: moretoys] #1105427
11/01/11 09:30 PM
11/01/11 09:30 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
We checked all the wiring in the area of the battery box and couldn't find any issues. We also cleaned up all the grounds and verified continuity back to the PDM.

What has me puzzled is that the PCM has power because there is 12v at the OBDII connector, but 3 different code readers could not link to it and there is no response to the key trick. So the PCM is not awake, but it seems to be getting power.

Even with an ASD circuit issue wouldn't the fuel pump still prime?

Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: DUFFMAN] #1105428
11/01/11 10:01 PM
11/01/11 10:01 PM
ST clair shores MI
M
moretoys Offline
top fuel
moretoys  Offline
top fuel
M

ST clair shores MI
IIRC the fuel pump relay gets power from the asd relay.Remove asd relay and check power in the box,The relay socket should have 1 battery power and 1 ign power,The computer controls the ground circuit.If you have both with voltage,then probably a pcm.9 out of 10 times I see wiring problems.But I am in the rust belt.

Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: moretoys] #1105429
11/01/11 10:25 PM
11/01/11 10:25 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
I'm in the rust belt too, but the truck only has 37k miles on it and has been in storage the last 6 years so there isn't a lot of rust and corrosion. However, I have had a lot of battery problems due to sitting and it's had to be jump started frequently. So I'm thinking I some how power surged the computer.

The reason I don't think it's the ASD circuit is that I can't communicate with the computer. If there was a problem with the ASD circuit the computer should throw a code right?

I'm very reluctant to replace a computer because I've NEVER had one go bad in a vehicle, but in this case it looks like all the symptoms are pointing to it. I just wish I had one available to try first.

Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: DUFFMAN] #1105430
11/01/11 11:01 PM
11/01/11 11:01 PM
ST clair shores MI
M
moretoys Offline
top fuel
moretoys  Offline
top fuel
M

ST clair shores MI
If you only had a asd relay problem, then yes you're right,it should throw a code.
Checking for power at the asd relay is just the easiest way to see if there is a wiring problem.The same wire that goes to the asd relay also goes to the pcm, the ign coil,fuel pump relay,check engine light on the dash,and other places.I'm assuming that the check engine light does not light up when the key is turned on.The problem happens at a splice that goes many different directions.But you might be right about the surge.Try tapping on the pcm,Might jar something and make it work,then you will know for sure,also open it up and take a smell,if it fried,you will smell it.Small market for finding chrysler pcm's specialy at a reasonable $$.try google,I bought one from a place in florida once,I could not get locally.There are other rebuilders out there beside auto chain stores.Gonna take some work finding them.usually buy local for that stuff if possible,rebuilt units can have problems,easier to get exchanged that way.From what I understand,pcm's get repaired of there problem and resold,they do not get completely gone through.I have had a few fail within warranty period.

Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: moretoys] #1105431
11/01/11 11:16 PM
11/01/11 11:16 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Quote:

Checking for power at the asd relay is just the easiest way to see if there is a wiring problem.

I didn't check for power to the ASD relay, but I did swap it with the wiper relay and the wipers still worked, so I know the relay itself is good.

Quote:

I'm assuming that the check engine light does not light up when the key is turned on.

Correct.

Quote:

The problem happens at a splice that goes many different directions.

I think we found the slice you're talking about, directly below the battery box, black with yellow stripe wires if I remember right.

Quote:

But you might be right about the surge.Try tapping on the pcm,Might jar something and make it work,then you will know for sure,also open it up and take a smell,if it fried,you will smell it.

It's worth a try.

Quote:

Small market for finding chrysler pcm's specialy at a reasonable $$.try google,I bought one from a place in florida once,I could not get locally.There are other rebuilders out there beside auto chain stores.Gonna take some work finding them.usually buy local for that stuff if possible,rebuilt units can have problems,easier to get exchanged that way.From what I understand,pcm's get repaired of there problem and resold,they do not get completely gone through.I have had a few fail within warranty period.

I found a place called autocomputerexchange.net I was going to order a computer from but found some negative comments on the web about them, thus this thread. I did find a couple of used ones at local junkyards but I'm concerned about programming. Do I need to have the VIN programmed? Will I still need to have the computer flashed at the dealer? Or due I just buy a tuner and do it myself?

Oh, one more thing. When I hook up the OBD II reader and ask it to scan the chime goes off. Other than that with the reader hooked up, the key on and the door open there is no chime.

Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: moretoys] #1105432
11/01/11 11:24 PM
11/01/11 11:24 PM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
If there is any doubt about a pcm I put it on the bench and wire up an ALDL connector that I cut out of a car at a junk yard. Get the connector pin outs and wire up the B+, grounds, and SCI transmit, SCI receive and hook the DRB up and see what happens.

Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: J_BODY] #1105433
11/01/11 11:40 PM
11/01/11 11:40 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOrk ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOrk !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
ANYone know how these are REbuilt ? ... isn't all the E-works set in epoxy ? ... how does that work ?

Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: dOrk !] #1105434
11/02/11 07:27 AM
11/02/11 07:27 AM
Catskill, NY
T
teflon Offline
enthusiast
teflon  Offline
enthusiast
T

Catskill, NY
Checking for power at the diagnostic connector is not going to give you all the info you need to condemn the PCM. Get a wiring diagram and check for power and grounds at the PCM connectors themselves. Also you will want to check bus voltage, which you can do at the diagnostic connector. Can you communicate with any other module on the bus??

Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: teflon] #1105435
11/02/11 08:04 AM
11/02/11 08:04 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
That and they have to be reprogramed.We got some remans from Advanced and never had any problems.Had to send them to the dealer to have them programed.Most were GMs though.In 30 years Ive only seen about 2 or 3 bad Mopar or Fords that were bad.Now GM thats another problem especially the old OBD1 systems.When they flash them they also update them.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: teflon] #1105436
11/02/11 08:22 AM
11/02/11 08:22 AM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Here's the problem. The truck is about 30 miles away stored in my Parent's shed. I can't get to it during the week and I have limited time to look at it on the weekends. The truck was supposed to be moved 2 weeks ago so we could pack everything in for winter. So at this time I need to take the risk and bring a computer next time I go there. If it doesn't work then I can do some more diagnosis while I'm there.

Back to the OP. I need to get a computer but I don't have a lot of time. So it sounds like I'm better off with a used unit so I don't have to run it to a dealer to be programmed.

There is some good info here, and if the computer your suggestions will come in handy.

Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: DUFFMAN] #1105437
11/02/11 08:49 AM
11/02/11 08:49 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
I've heard of a few guys who just swapped computers without any dealer flashing/vin programming, etc, and the truck would run fine.

maybe they were non-security trucks, I don't know.

if your truck does not have the security package on it, then maybe you can get by with a junkyard PCM, just to troubleshoot.

find one out of a truck that was clearly running and driving all the way to the scene of the crash use it to troubleshoot, and if the truck starts right up, then you know it was the PCM. if your junkyard piece fails quickly, then invest money on a more expensive reman'd unit with some sort of a warranty.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: 70Cuda383] #1105438
11/02/11 06:55 PM
11/02/11 06:55 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Well I bit the bullet and ordered a used computer. It should be here on Friday. It's out of the same model year, engine, trans and a running accident truck so hopefully it's my problem. I think it's down to this; since I can't link up to the computer the problem is either the computer itself, or the wiring for it. If the engine doesn't start with the new computer then I have some wire tracing to do. Luckily I do have the factory service manuals for it, so at leas ti have that going for me.

Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: DUFFMAN] #1105439
11/02/11 07:12 PM
11/02/11 07:12 PM
Colorado
68FuryIIIColo Offline
68FuryIIIColo  Offline

Colorado
The PCM on OBDII will throw warning and MIL lights. I think the brake or abs light will light up until you get it flashed with your VIN. Your truck should still run if it's the PCM that is actually throwing codes.
I have had pretty good luck with www.car-part.com in finding specific parts. It is a network of all the junkyards with a stock of all parts and vehicles they have in their yard. You can sort it by distance or price or part grade. Check it out.

Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: DUFFMAN] #1105440
11/03/11 10:30 AM
11/03/11 10:30 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a used computer. It should be here on Friday. It's out of the same model year, engine, trans and a running accident truck so hopefully it's my problem. I think it's down to this; since I can't link up to the computer the problem is either the computer itself, or the wiring for it. If the engine doesn't start with the new computer then I have some wire tracing to do. Luckily I do have the factory service manuals for it, so at leas ti have that going for me.

You are still going to have to go to the dealer me thinks , it needs the VIN and I think the mileage programmed into it .

Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: DUFFMAN] #1105441
11/03/11 01:35 PM
11/03/11 01:35 PM
SE Kansas
I
indytex96 Offline
enthusiast
indytex96  Offline
enthusiast
I

SE Kansas
Quote:

Quote:

Checking for power at the asd relay is just the easiest way to see if there is a wiring problem.

I didn't check for power to the ASD relay, but I did swap it with the wiper relay and the wipers still worked, so I know the relay itself is good.

Quote:

I'm assuming that the check engine light does not light up when the key is turned on.

Correct.

Quote:

The problem happens at a splice that goes many different directions.

I think we found the slice you're talking about, directly below the battery box, black with yellow stripe wires if I remember right.

Quote:

But you might be right about the surge.Try tapping on the pcm,Might jar something and make it work,then you will know for sure,also open it up and take a smell,if it fried,you will smell it.

It's worth a try.

Quote:

Small market for finding chrysler pcm's specialy at a reasonable $$.try google,I bought one from a place in florida once,I could not get locally.There are other rebuilders out there beside auto chain stores.Gonna take some work finding them.usually buy local for that stuff if possible,rebuilt units can have problems,easier to get exchanged that way.From what I understand,pcm's get repaired of there problem and resold,they do not get completely gone through.I have had a few fail within warranty period.

I found a place called autocomputerexchange.net I was going to order a computer from but found some negative comments on the web about them, thus this thread. I did find a couple of used ones at local junkyards but I'm concerned about programming. Do I need to have the VIN programmed? Will I still need to have the computer flashed at the dealer? Or due I just buy a tuner and do it myself?

Oh, one more thing. When I hook up the OBD II reader and ask it to scan the chime goes off. Other than that with the reader hooked up, the key on and the door open there is no chime.

Absolutely stay away from autocomputerexchange!!!! They took me for approximately 200 bucks I don't have enough room for the whole mess, but they outright lied to get my business and the end result was I had to order a rebuilt unit from Dodge only to have to eat the core price as these jokers cut a 2" hole in my old unit plus truck was down for almost a month waiting. BEWARE!

Last edited by indytex96; 11/03/11 01:39 PM.
Re: Where to buy a rebuilt PCM/ECM? [Re: indytex96] #1105442
11/03/11 08:09 PM
11/03/11 08:09 PM
chatham, Ilinois
F
fox Offline
super street
fox  Offline
super street
F

chatham, Ilinois
Is that the place on E-Bay? I know many who bought thru them and were happy. Quick service too with next day air. Cheapest we found.

Page 1 of 2 1 2