10/23/11 11:40 PM
10/23/11 11:40 PM
Lost in Pooler, GA
Gumbydammit Offline OP
super stock
Gumbydammit  Offline OP
super stock

Lost in Pooler, GA
I have a 68 Dart. Are these grilles plated, then painted, or natural, polished and painted?

Who does 'em? What's a ballpark figure on having one done?

I'm Gumby dammit!
Re: Dart grille - Plated then painted? [Re: Gumbydammit] #1100457
10/24/11 12:22 AM
10/24/11 12:22 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally they are bright dip anodized then the argent silver and flat black areas are applied. Many people just polish the raw aluminum after stripping the anodizing off and then paint the argent and black. Many problems associated with raw aluminum fading and or needing repeated polishing. Not to mention it isnt correct appearing. Its all in what you want though. There are a few places that can restore it either way, but anticipate waiting a LONG time

Re: Dart grille - Plated then painted? [Re: ] #1100458
10/24/11 12:46 AM
10/24/11 12:46 AM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

There are a few places that can restore it either way, but anticipate waiting a LONG time

Or you can use a trim refinisher that actually treats trim restoration like a profession instead of an art form.... I refuse to deal with people that can't understand a time table....

You want trim done in a reasonable time frame for a fair price & to a high standard I suggest giving Norm Huie @ Shine On Me Trim in San Clemente Ca. a call.... He told me five weeks, he took five weeks, quite a few Moparts members have tried him & all seem to be pleased...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Dart grille - Plated then painted? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1100459
10/24/11 04:25 PM
10/24/11 04:25 PM
Lost in Pooler, GA
Gumbydammit Offline OP
super stock
Gumbydammit  Offline OP
super stock

Lost in Pooler, GA
Thanks, I appreciate the replies. The previous owner had just painted over the whole grille with some nasty black paint. I used some aircraft stripper on it, and in a few places the bright dip seems to have come off. Does anyone know who I can send it to just to have it bright dipped again? I can paint it. I may just polish it, paint, and clear it. It's not a resto per se, but more of a really nice street strip car.

I'm Gumby dammit!