10/07/11 09:33 AM
Houston, Texas
TheOtherDodge Offline
master
TheOtherDodge  Offline
master

Houston, Texas
Talking about a 600 hp application:

IMO the biggest benefit in a turbo application is the ability to run a much more numerically lower gear than a N/A motor.

Also, I don't think an N/A motor with a fairly healthy cam is going to be as efficient at lower speeds than a relatively "stock" cam that a turbo uses.

Finally, a stock type converter can be used vs a higher stall of an NA application.

Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: gdonovan] #1085089
10/07/11 04:32 PM
10/07/11 04:32 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

There is no way to spin anything without expending energy. The energy in this case comes from the fuel.

Turbochargers are recovering some of lost heat energy in the exhaust stream, unlike a supercharger which is stealing it off the front of the crank.

One reason why turbos will always make more power than a supercharger.

And to put a real world approx number on that lost heat/energy in the exhaust/radiator/block, its roughly equal to the flywheel horsepower, and if cooling the exhaust temp by using that wasted energy to run a turbo, I'd say a turbo is more econonical to run, but as stated numerous times before not install.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: CokeBottleKid] #1085090
10/07/11 09:04 PM
10/07/11 09:04 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

2. You run less timing: while under light load (vacuum or low boost) the timing is the same-ish as an N/A engine, when under heavy load (high boost) timing is retarded 10-30 degrees easily, obviously having large impact on efficiency.

Actually, this is not as cut-dry as that. I hope I can explain it accurately...

Ignition advance is required because the mixture does not explode instantaneousy @ spark, but rather as a controlled burn that takes time. As we don't want it burning much after TDC, we must start earlier so that we have complete combustion for the start of the power stroke. More timing is needed as RPM increases becuase there is less time available for the burn event (which still requires about the same amount of time, in comparison).

The flame front travels faster from droplet-to-droplet in a denser or more homogeneous mixture (I believe this is an accurate statement).

So, the more efficient a cylinder head (think turbulence, swirl, quench) or the more boost you have, the less timing is needed, as the mixture is more homogeneous, and gives better flame travel. that does not necessarily mean the burn is less effective.

Excessive timing lead causes pressure to build on the piston while it is travelling upward on the compression stroke - reducing efficiency.

To summarize:
I don't think we can really compare timing #s between NA and boosted engines as relating to efficiency.

Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: Fury Fan] #1085091
10/07/11 09:59 PM
10/07/11 09:59 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

The flame front travels faster from droplet-to-droplet in a denser or more homogeneous mixture (I believe this is an accurate statement).

For what little I know, I believe you are spot on. However regarding the benefits of "homogeneous mixture", I am not sure how turboing by itself effects that. I will admit mixture is denser, but not sure if it travels faster, mainly because of high residual exhaust back pressure, and not sure if that also makes for a more homogeneous mixture, which would mean high rpms are more homogenous then lower?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: jcc] #1085092
10/08/11 02:42 AM
10/08/11 02:42 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
I think everyone here is assuming that there is no boost without positive pressure. Just because a turbo'd engine cruises with vacuum doesn't mean it isn't seeing boost. Say a NA engine cruised with 18" of vac. Now put a turbo on it under the same conditions but now it cruises with 17". The engine is now running with whatever 1" equals for boost. With a NA type part throttle tune you have now just leaned it out at cruise. Maybe reaching here a bit but I think technically there is a case to be made for better fuel efficiency.

Kevin

Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: Twostick] #1085093
10/08/11 04:23 PM
10/08/11 04:23 PM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
No. An engine's manifold pressure/vacuum indicates load. If you apply the same load, you get the same vacuum, no matter how much pressure is in front of the throttle blade. You're working the equation from the wrong angle. Manifold pressure is resultant. You cruise at say 65mph. At 65mph, your engine may make 12" of vacuum on a flat road, 20" down hill and 4" up a hill. You aren't after a vacuum number, you're after 65mph, and the throttle plate is what you change to achieve that goal. Your example assumes the throttle plate is in a fixed position. If it were, the denser air would pass the throttle plate and speed up the engine. Cruise speed would go up,as would fuel consumption.

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"
Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: TRENDZ] #1085094
10/08/11 09:30 PM
10/08/11 09:30 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
I agree with most of your explanation for manifold pressure but I'm pretty sure you have still made my point. (I think )If the pressure above the blade has no bearing then at our given 65 mph level road load, the blade angle will still be the same as NA or effectively fixed. The denser air will in fact go around the blade but it won't be carrying any more fuel than it would NA because a carb meters fuel based on air volume not air density and the mix will be slightly leaner. Kind of like the difference between 2500' DA and say -500' DA with it jetted for 2500'. Would you agree that if you could cruise steady state at a -500 DA while jetted for a higher DA that there would be the potential for a slight increase in fuel efficiency?

And just to be clear, when I say I think a boosted engine can be more fuel efficient than the same engine NA I'm talking single digit % increase.

Kevin

Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: Twostick] #1085095
10/08/11 10:49 PM
10/08/11 10:49 PM
Plymouth, MI
Blusmbl Offline
master
Blusmbl  Offline
master

Plymouth, MI
Quote:

And just to be clear, when I say I think a boosted engine can be more fuel efficient than the same engine NA I'm talking single digit % increase.

With your version explained you're "cheating" by not having the same tailpipe air/fuel ratio.

It would only potentially make a difference at higher loads, it would definitely not be true from an overall perspective. You could run a speed/load map of an n/a engine and the same engine with a turbo added, and there may be a small number of points where the turbo engine is more efficient because it could make a higher torque value at a given engine speed, but it would most likely be at higher loads, if any at all. Adding the turbo alone is going to decrease fuel economy, between the weight added to the vehicle and the increased pumping losses with the turbo in the exhaust stream.

I would not be adding a turbo to a motor thinking fuel economy would improve. Fun factor, yes. Fuel consumption, no.

'18 Ford Raptor, random motorcycles, 1968 Plymouth Fury III - 11.37 @ 118
Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: Twostick] #1085096
10/09/11 01:12 AM
10/09/11 01:12 AM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
Quote:

I agree with most of your explanation for manifold pressure but I'm pretty sure you have still made my point. (I think )If the pressure above the blade has no bearing then at our given 65 mph level road load, the blade angle will still be the same as NA or effectively fixed. The denser air will in fact go around the blade but it won't be carrying any more fuel than it would NA because a carb meters fuel based on air volume not air density and the mix will be slightly leaner. Kind of like the difference between 2500' DA and say -500' DA with it jetted for 2500'. Would you agree that if you could cruise steady state at a -500 DA while jetted for a higher DA that there would be the potential for a slight increase in fuel efficiency?

I come from a fuel injected world, where more air in equals more fuel in.
So, you're saying that this hypothetical engine's vacuum changes because it's getting more air, yet your explaination says," A carb meters fuel based on air volume.... My question is, where is the extra air in the engine coming from if a larger volume of air is not going through the carb? Do you think density has no bearing on a venturi? Do you think a carb's throttle angle is directly proportionate to fuel flow? Would you tune your carb to run richer than needed in one spot so you could make it run correct in another and expect a more fuel efficient engine? How about making it run clean everywhere? Your explaination seems to indicate it cant be done.

Last edited by TRENDZ; 10/09/11 01:31 AM.

Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: TheOtherDodge] #1085097
10/09/11 01:29 AM
10/09/11 01:29 AM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
Quote:

Talking about a 600 hp application:

IMO the biggest benefit in a turbo application is the ability to run a much more numerically lower gear than a N/A motor.

Also, I don't think an N/A motor with a fairly healthy cam is going to be as efficient at lower speeds than a relatively "stock" cam that a turbo uses.

Finally, a stock type converter can be used vs a higher stall of an NA application.

This is the best argument for the turbo engine.
My understanding is(and I could be wrong here) that the OP was thinking of adding a turbo to an existing engine to gain fuel economy not to add power. My stance is adding a turbo to an engine wont make the engine more fuel efficient. But as you say here the car can now be changed to take advantage of the turbo engine characteristics. I agree, if you want a 600hp car this is the way to go. If you want a 400hp car,not so much.

Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: TRENDZ] #1085098
10/09/11 02:23 AM
10/09/11 02:23 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Quote:

Quote:

I come from a fuel injected world, where more air in equals more fuel in.
So, you're saying that this hypothetical engine's vacuum changes because it's getting more air, yet your explaination says," A carb meters fuel based on air volume.... My question is, where is the extra air in the engine coming from if a larger volume of air is not going through the carb? Do you think density has no bearing on a venturi? Do you think a carb's throttle angle is directly proportionate to fuel flow? Would you tune your carb to run richer than needed in one spot so you could make it run correct in another and expect a more fuel efficient engine? How about making it run clean everywhere? Your explaination seems to indicate it cant be done.

If density had a bearing on a venturi, you wouldn't have to jet a carb up for "good" air.

With all due respect an EFI setup has very little in common with a carb so to answer your question if I tuned a carb for max cruise fuel mileage it would be a given that it might not perform as well at WOT. That's the beauty of EFI, you can optimize for all loads or throttle positions. With a carb you can get it dead nuts for a VERY narrow range. Anything outside that at best will just be sorta close.

Kevin

Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: Twostick] #1085099
10/09/11 09:05 AM
10/09/11 09:05 AM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
Well, you got me there. So the basic idea here is add a turbo, and as long as your fuel metering is wrong, you will increase your mileage.

Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: Blusmbl] #1085100
10/09/11 09:15 AM
10/09/11 09:15 AM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Adding the turbo alone is going to decrease fuel economy, between the weight added to the vehicle and the increased pumping losses with the turbo in the exhaust stream.

All one has to do is compare factory engines that are mostly the same aside from turbo setups.

Chrysler had both in 1989- An N/A 2.5 and a turbocharged 2.5.

For all intents and purposes the main differences between the two is a touch more static compression with the N/A motor, the N/A motor has a cam with slightly more overlap. Even though the turbomotor has a far superior intake setup (MPI vs craptastic TBI) the N/A motor was well noted for its better MPG.

21-36 mpg for the N/A motor, 18-26 mpg for the turbo. These numbers are from the Federal MPG website with the same vehicle with manual transmissions.

You are not going to get better mpg slapping on a turbo without reduction of displacement, period.

Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: gdonovan] #1085101
10/09/11 10:51 AM
10/09/11 10:51 AM
Houston, Texas
TheOtherDodge Offline
master
TheOtherDodge  Offline
master

Houston, Texas
"You are not going to get better mpg slapping on a turbo without reduction of displacement, period."

Once again, unless we are talking about a stockish type motor with no stall and 3.23 gearing, I 100% disagree. Less converter, less gearing, = less rpm on the motor.

Your example is from 1989 and not only is FI much better today than back then, you are talking about motors making no more than 225 hp.

Does anyone ever wonder why all the new high hp production cars are forced induction?

Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: TheOtherDodge] #1085102
10/09/11 11:28 AM
10/09/11 11:28 AM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Your example is from 1989 and not only is FI much better today than back then, you are talking about motors making no more than 225 hp.

The fuel injection and intake on the 89 turbo motor is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 89 non-turbo motor.

And yet the N/A motor gets better MPG.

The real world results speak for themselves.

This will only be compounded by modern technology, any improvement that can be applied to a forced inducted engine can be applied to a N/A engine as well.

Rpm isn't necessarily the killer of MPG (I have driven 1.8l Acuras that buzzed down the highway at much higher rates than a typical mopar and get good MPG)

Higher *load* on the motor = more fuel consumption.

Quote:

Does anyone ever wonder why all the new high hp production cars are forced induction?

Doh!

Perhaps because more power can't be extracted by N/A means due to running afoul of federal emissions.

Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: TRENDZ] #1085103
10/09/11 03:50 PM
10/09/11 03:50 PM
IL
furious70 Offline
top fuel
furious70  Offline
top fuel

IL
Quote:

Well, you got me there. So the basic idea here is add a turbo, and as long as your fuel metering is wrong, you will increase your mileage.

and if we 'stumble' upon this little carb tuning secret, why wouldn't we apply it to the NA engine as well and be back to square 1? If we're gonna run the turbo engine leaner than it should be, why not do the same to the NA?

70 Sport Fury
68 Charger
69 Coronet
72 RR
Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: furious70] #1085104
10/09/11 03:54 PM
10/09/11 03:54 PM
Houston, Texas
TheOtherDodge Offline
master
TheOtherDodge  Offline
master

Houston, Texas
"Rpm isn't necessarily the killer of MPG (I have driven 1.8l Acuras that buzzed down the highway at much higher rates than a typical mopar and get good MPG)"

Really? that 1.8L Acura got what mpg at that "buzzin" rpm vs what 1.8L Mopar at "normal" rpms? Please give me an example to help me believe this.

Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: TheOtherDodge] #1085105
10/09/11 03:56 PM
10/09/11 03:56 PM
Houston, Texas
TheOtherDodge Offline
master
TheOtherDodge  Offline
master

Houston, Texas
"Doh!

Perhaps because more power can't be extracted by N/A means due to running afoul of federal emissions. "

Really? I guess that big inch Viper didn't pass emissions? And you don't think driveability and mpg has no factor in the decision to go with forced induction? Ok. Not going to argue as we all have our own opinions.

Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: gdonovan] #1085106
10/09/11 04:15 PM
10/09/11 04:15 PM
Chandler, AZ
Duner Offline
top fuel
Duner  Offline
top fuel

Chandler, AZ
Don't forget that in the 80's - the answer to turbo tuning was to take away timing and throw fuel at it. We've progressed well beyond that now, where we can have lots of timing and only back it down when actually in boost. That little change helps fuel efficiency/mileage by a huge amount.

Too bad we can't get Smokey Yunick in this conversation....

Re: Turbocharging for economy [Re: furious70] #1085107
10/09/11 04:51 PM
10/09/11 04:51 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Quote:

Quote:

and if we 'stumble' upon this little carb tuning secret, why wouldn't we apply it to the NA engine as well and be back to square 1? If we're gonna run the turbo engine leaner than it should be, why not do the same to the NA?

Been done already. It was called Leanburn. Good idea. Really bad execution.

Kevin

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5