Print Thread
2004 Ram 2500 - Loose Steering Wheel #1073719
09/12/11 11:31 AM
09/12/11 11:31 AM
Creedmoor, NC, USA
74Charger Offline OP
74Charger  Offline OP

Creedmoor, NC, USA
I have slight play in the steering wheel to the column. Steering wheel actually wobbles left to right, and up and down.

I'm in process of replcaing the horn switch behind the air-bag cover and really had not noticed the looseness until I drove another vehicle for a couple of days. This is not a front-end issue. Play is between steering wheel shaft and column.

The bolt that holds the wheel to column is tight. Has anyone seen or repaired this problem?

Re: 2004 Ram 2500 - Loose Steering Wheel [Re: 74Charger] #1073720
09/12/11 02:59 PM
09/12/11 02:59 PM
Vallejo, CA
D
ditchdrift Offline
enthusiast
ditchdrift  Offline
enthusiast
D

Vallejo, CA
this is a known problem, you have to get the repair kit for it. heres the tsb info

Date: May 03, 2005

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 19–012–04, DATED DECEMBER 13,
2004, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES.

Models: 2003-2005 (DR) Ram Truck

2003 - 2005 (DR) Ram Truck
2004 - 2005 (HB) Durango
2005 (ND) Dakota

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built after December 1, 2003 (MDH 1201XX)

Overview:
This bulletin involves replacing the steering column upper bearing retainer.

Symptom/Condition:
The vehicle operator may describe a small amount of movement in the steering column when
pulling the steering wheel toward you while seated in the driver’s seat.

Diagnosis:
While seated in the driver’s seat, attempt to push and pull the steering wheel in and out. If the
steering column exhibits any in and out movement, perform the Repair Procedure.

Parts Required:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 05166528AA Bearing Retainer Kit

Repair Procedure:
WARNING: The steering column bearing retainer is spring loaded and could fly off the
shaft during this repair. Safety glasses should be worn at all times.
WARNING: THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX
ELECTRO-MECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE,
REMOVE OR INSTALL THE AIRBAG SYSTEM COMPONENTS YOU MUST
FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND)
CABLE. THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO
DISCHARGE. FAILURE TO DO SO COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL
DEPLOYMENT OF THE AIRBAG AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY. THE
FASTENERS, SCREWS, AND BOLTS, ORIGINALLY USED FOR THE AIRBAG
COMPONENTS, HAVE SPECIAL COATINGS AND ARE SPECIFICALLY
DESIGNED FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. THEY MUST NEVER BE
REPLACED WITH ANY SUBSTITUTES. ANYTIME A NEW FASTENER IS
NEEDED, REPLACE WITH THE CORRECT FASTENERS PROVIDED IN THE
SERVICE PACKAGE OR FASTENERS LISTED IN THE PARTS BOOKS.
1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery terminal. Wait at least two minutes for the
airbag system capacitor to discharge prior to disassembling the steering column.
NOTE: If you are not familiar with steering column and air bag repair procedures, refer
section 19 of the appropriate Service Manual for detailed procedures and
safety precautions.
2. Remove the drivers air bag, steering wheel, steering column shroud, clock spring and
multifunction switch.
3. Inspect the wave spring under existing retainer (Fig. 1). If spring is fully compressed,
stop this procedure and replace column. If the spring is not fully compressed, proceed to
step 4.
4. With the ignition key removed, rotate steering wheel until it locks (you may have to
reinstall wheel in order to rotate shaft)
5. Remove bearing retainer from shaft if possible by hand, with pliers, or by placing a
screwdriver underneath retainer and prying upward (Fig. 2). If the retainer can be
removed, proceed to step 7. If the retainer will not come off the shaft, continue with step
6. Use a sharp ¼" chisel to score the retainer as shown (Fig. 3). Be careful not to damage
any of the surrounding components with chisel. Only apply enough force to score the
retainer. Do not attempt to break completely through the retainer with the chisel, this
excessive force will damage the bearings. Remove any material particles that might fall
into the bearing pocket.

7. Insert a screwdriver under retainer (near score mark) and pry the retainer upward until it
breaks. If unsuccessful, re-score the retainer again and try again.
8. Discard old retainer and wave spring. Make sure shaft is pulled upward (toward driver)
as far as possible and the bearing race and wedge are sitting tightly inside of bearing.
9. Install the new wave spring and retainer on wedge on shaft.
10. Check steering column shaft threads by hand tightening installation tool bolt provided in
the kit into shaft approximately ½9 and removing. If bolt threads easily into shaft proceed
to step 9. If bolt does not thread easily into shaft, re-tap the hole using an M10 x 1.5 tap.
11. Place bearing installation tool onto shaft until it contacts retainer (Fig. 4).

12. Insert the bolt into steering column shaft. Hand tighten until threads are fully engaged.
Tighten bolt down with 15 mm socket wrench until the tool bottoms out on bearing. You
may hear a clicking noise as the retainer is being pressed down onto the shaft, this is
normal.
13. Remove bolt and tool. Inspect retainer and spring (Fig. 1). The spring should be centered
under the retainer and compressed as shown. If the spring is not centered under retainer it
may be pushed towards the shaft using a screwdriver (do not damage spring). If spring
needs adjusting, repeat step 12 to ensure the retainer is in the correct position.
14. Install the multifunction switch, clock spring, steering column shroud, steering wheel and
drivers air bag.
15. Connect the negative battery cable.

Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

Time Allowance:
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
23-13-16-01 Replace Steering Column Bearing Retainer 0.7 Hrs.

Re: 2004 Ram 2500 - Loose Steering Wheel [Re: ditchdrift] #1073721
09/12/11 03:45 PM
09/12/11 03:45 PM
Creedmoor, NC, USA
74Charger Offline OP
74Charger  Offline OP

Creedmoor, NC, USA
Thanks for the info! Process sounds intimidating, especially the clockspring part.

The movement in my truck feels like the wheel is loose on the shaft like the inner splines on the steering wheel are worn. The bolt is tight.

I do not recall much in & out play though. Do you think it is still the same problem?

Re: 2004 Ram 2500 - Loose Steering Wheel [Re: 74Charger] #1073722
09/12/11 04:33 PM
09/12/11 04:33 PM
Vallejo, CA
D
ditchdrift Offline
enthusiast
ditchdrift  Offline
enthusiast
D

Vallejo, CA
why not pull the steering wheel and see if there is any play in the bearing at the end of the column tube, if there is, then that will have to be replaced. the steering wheel nut/bolt or whatever only holds the steering wheel to the shaft.

Re: 2004 Ram 2500 - Loose Steering Wheel [Re: ditchdrift] #1073723
09/13/11 09:06 PM
09/13/11 09:06 PM
Creedmoor, NC, USA
74Charger Offline OP
74Charger  Offline OP

Creedmoor, NC, USA
I feel like I may have found the problem. After removing the clockspring and the multi-purpose switch, I found the bearing retainer loose. The wave spring was not compressed between the retainer and the bearing wedge. Now that retainer is seated and wavy spring is compressed, the steering shaft in column is good and tight.

The heck of it is, I think this may have happened when I was rapping on horn pad with my fist to try and get the horn to shut off. That was how this all started. I replaced the horn switch and steering wheel cover assembly yesterday and re-assembled the air bag. Not back on wheel yet but horn switch bench tested fine with ohm-meter.

I wonder if there is a special procedure to follow when I get ready to put battery negative back on? I'm concerned about blowing the air bag.