B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Fellas -

So I took the factory buckets out of my street/strip car (it's a ferd fairlane - like a b-body, but slower!) a few months ago and sold them. Wasn't able to get it done before I moved to Georgia (Columbus) so I've been using a milk crate for a seat when I need to move the car.

Could use some advice on a good seat and install procedures. Car is a street/strip with a cage; no long trips planned so I don't need cushy buckets. I have Kirkey's in my 71 Javelin road race car, and those are fine. Thinking about going with a pro-street/race Kirkey with a cover.

Question is how to mount them. Is there an easy way to do this or will there be a fair amount of fabrication any way I go? I was hoping to see some sort of bracket that would weld to the floor and the seat would bolt on to. Also would like to have adjustability, at least on the driver's seat. I'm 6'4" so anyone else driving it will likely have to move the seat up.

FYI - I have a fair amount of tools, including a Miller mig welder, but welding skills aren't great; I need more practice.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Scott

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos
Re: Rookie Needs Help With Racing Seat Install [Re: bulletpruf] #1063412
08/26/11 08:25 PM
08/26/11 08:25 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
IMO, a 6'4" driver in a street car with a cage needs a seat mounting that NEVER moves in any collision, although wearing a helmet would help when the cage strikes your head like metal baseball bat. The floor itself will not suffice. You need to have a design that allows little movement in any direction ( take your body weight and multiply it by the g's you want to survive, figuring 70 is close to fatal anyway) and design away.

Pics would help, but the ferd thing is a downer.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Rookie Needs Help With Racing Seat Install [Re: bulletpruf] #1063413
08/26/11 08:34 PM
08/26/11 08:34 PM
The Wet Coast, Canada
megajoltman Offline
master
megajoltman  Offline
master

The Wet Coast, Canada
http://www.griffinracecraft.com/products.html

These are nice I will be using them in my Dart to mount my Kirkey Seats.

1969 Dart 383/727/D60

CTD Ram 4x4 Mega Cab

Procharged 350Z
Re: Rookie Needs Help With Racing Seat Install [Re: megajoltman] #1063414
08/26/11 08:53 PM
08/26/11 08:53 PM
metro detroit
T
turner Offline
enthusiast
turner  Offline
enthusiast
T

metro detroit
those brackets look like that would be as simple as its gunna get, I made my own brackets and bolted them to my cage.....took 10x as long to fab and install.

Re: Rookie Needs Help With Racing Seat Install [Re: bulletpruf] #1063415
08/26/11 11:30 PM
08/26/11 11:30 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Fellas -

So I took the factory buckets out of my street/strip car (it's a ferd fairlane - like a b-body, but slower!) a few months ago and sold them. Wasn't able to get it done before I moved to Georgia (Columbus) so I've been using a milk crate for a seat when I need to move the car.

Could use some advice on a good seat and install procedures. Car is a street/strip with a cage; no long trips planned so I don't need cushy buckets. I have Kirkey's in my 71 Javelin road race car, and those are fine. Thinking about going with a pro-street/race Kirkey with a cover.

Question is how to mount them. Is there an easy way to do this or will there be a fair amount of fabrication any way I go? I was hoping to see some sort of bracket that would weld to the floor and the seat would bolt on to. Also would like to have adjustability, at least on the driver's seat. I'm 6'4" so anyone else driving it will likely have to move the seat up.

FYI - I have a fair amount of tools, including a Miller mig welder, but welding skills aren't great; I need more practice.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Scott

I would get some 1/4" flat stock and weld up some
brackets... when you set in the seat make sure the
front of it is angled up enough to support your thighs
so its comfortable... the back and the bottom should
be close to 90*... I just mounted the seats in my
Rampage with a tube chassis

Re: Rookie Needs Help With Racing Seat Install [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1063416
08/27/11 03:06 PM
08/27/11 03:06 PM
SW Ohio
C
cgall Offline
top fuel
cgall  Offline
top fuel
C

SW Ohio
Keep in mind that the driver's seat back must be mounted to the roll bar cross bar. Jegs and Summit have an adjustable bracket to enable the seat to be moved up or back.

Re: Rookie Needs Help With Racing Seat Install [Re: cgall] #1063417
08/30/11 07:46 PM
08/30/11 07:46 PM
Northern VA
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

Northern VA
Thanks for all the info, fellas.

Scott

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos