Moparts

Rookie Needs Help With Racing Seat Install

Posted By: bulletpruf

Rookie Needs Help With Racing Seat Install - 08/26/11 05:16 PM

Fellas -

So I took the factory buckets out of my street/strip car (it's a ferd fairlane - like a b-body, but slower!) a few months ago and sold them. Wasn't able to get it done before I moved to Georgia (Columbus) so I've been using a milk crate for a seat when I need to move the car.

Could use some advice on a good seat and install procedures. Car is a street/strip with a cage; no long trips planned so I don't need cushy buckets. I have Kirkey's in my 71 Javelin road race car, and those are fine. Thinking about going with a pro-street/race Kirkey with a cover.

Question is how to mount them. Is there an easy way to do this or will there be a fair amount of fabrication any way I go? I was hoping to see some sort of bracket that would weld to the floor and the seat would bolt on to. Also would like to have adjustability, at least on the driver's seat. I'm 6'4" so anyone else driving it will likely have to move the seat up.

FYI - I have a fair amount of tools, including a Miller mig welder, but welding skills aren't great; I need more practice.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Scott
Posted By: jcc

Re: Rookie Needs Help With Racing Seat Install - 08/27/11 12:25 AM

IMO, a 6'4" driver in a street car with a cage needs a seat mounting that NEVER moves in any collision, although wearing a helmet would help when the cage strikes your head like metal baseball bat. The floor itself will not suffice. You need to have a design that allows little movement in any direction ( take your body weight and multiply it by the g's you want to survive, figuring 70 is close to fatal anyway) and design away.

Pics would help, but the ferd thing is a downer.
Posted By: megajoltman

Re: Rookie Needs Help With Racing Seat Install - 08/27/11 12:34 AM

http://www.griffinracecraft.com/products.html

These are nice I will be using them in my Dart to mount my Kirkey Seats.
Posted By: turner

Re: Rookie Needs Help With Racing Seat Install - 08/27/11 12:53 AM

those brackets look like that would be as simple as its gunna get, I made my own brackets and bolted them to my cage.....took 10x as long to fab and install.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Rookie Needs Help With Racing Seat Install - 08/27/11 03:30 AM

Quote:

Fellas -

So I took the factory buckets out of my street/strip car (it's a ferd fairlane - like a b-body, but slower!) a few months ago and sold them. Wasn't able to get it done before I moved to Georgia (Columbus) so I've been using a milk crate for a seat when I need to move the car.

Could use some advice on a good seat and install procedures. Car is a street/strip with a cage; no long trips planned so I don't need cushy buckets. I have Kirkey's in my 71 Javelin road race car, and those are fine. Thinking about going with a pro-street/race Kirkey with a cover.

Question is how to mount them. Is there an easy way to do this or will there be a fair amount of fabrication any way I go? I was hoping to see some sort of bracket that would weld to the floor and the seat would bolt on to. Also would like to have adjustability, at least on the driver's seat. I'm 6'4" so anyone else driving it will likely have to move the seat up.

FYI - I have a fair amount of tools, including a Miller mig welder, but welding skills aren't great; I need more practice.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Scott

I would get some 1/4" flat stock and weld up some
brackets... when you set in the seat make sure the
front of it is angled up enough to support your thighs
so its comfortable... the back and the bottom should
be close to 90*... I just mounted the seats in my
Rampage with a tube chassis
Posted By: cgall

Re: Rookie Needs Help With Racing Seat Install - 08/27/11 07:06 PM

Keep in mind that the driver's seat back must be mounted to the roll bar cross bar. Jegs and Summit have an adjustable bracket to enable the seat to be moved up or back.
Posted By: bulletpruf

Re: Rookie Needs Help With Racing Seat Install - 08/30/11 11:46 PM

Thanks for all the info, fellas.

Scott
© 2024 Moparts Forums