08/16/08 11:27 PM
08/16/08 11:27 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Cudalord Offline OP
enthusiast
Cudalord  Offline OP
enthusiast

Scottsdale, AZ
I just purchased a set of universal plug wires and I am going to install them tomorrow. Any pointers or tips before I start this? I tried this once and it didn't work out so well, but I'm giving it another shot because the custom wires never seem to fit.

What's the process that you all use? The more details, the better. Here are a few questions I came up with....

1. Do you put the wire through the boot, then crimp it and pull it back into the boot? Or is it vise versa?

2. Do you plug in to all the spark plugs, then determine the length by the best route?

3. I have the MSD Part number 5553 and it came with a plastic crimper, will that be sufficient?

4. The wires are pre-stripped, and showing what looks like a black braided wire. Do I need to strip that down any further, or can I just bend it back and crimp on the fitting and be done with it?

Thanks in advance. And, just to clarify, I'm looking for advice on how to build/tailor my universal wires, please don't respond with "get the custom set by "****", part# "****". I have tried a few custom sets and they never fit right...

Re: Universal Spark Plug Wires, how do you do it? [Re: Cudalord] #106290
08/17/08 12:10 AM
08/17/08 12:10 AM
Here
DirectSubjection Offline
Tacohead. The First and Only
DirectSubjection  Offline
Tacohead. The First and Only

Here
Quote:

1. Do you put the wire through the boot, then crimp it and pull it back into the boot? Or is it vise versa?

Push the wire thru the boot first (I use a lubricant), then strip, then crimp, then pull the wire back to seat the end in the boot. Wayyyy easier that way.

Quote:

2. Do you plug in to all the spark plugs, then determine the length by the best route?

All plugs installed, looms in place, one wire at a time.

Quote:

3. I have the MSD Part number 5553 and it came with a plastic crimper, will that be sufficient?

Can't say - never used it. I bought a pliars special that has an awesome pulg wire crimper built in.

Quote:

4. The wires are pre-stripped, and showing what looks like a black braided wire. Do I need to strip that down any further, or can I just bend it back and crimp on the fitting and be done with it?

I never worked with MSD wires so I don't know - their instructions should say. As I recall on Accels its just strip, fold, crimp. My Taylor 10.4's I last did were a whole different story.

Ride eternal, shiny and chrome
Re: Universal Spark Plug Wires, how do you do it? [Re: DirectSubjection] #106291
08/17/08 12:26 AM
08/17/08 12:26 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I with DS on 1&2. I have no exp with #3 & on #4 the ends are stripped of insulation down to the tiny black core wire in the center? If the length is PERFECT then slide on a boot(I use silicone spray for lube) & crimp on the metal terminal & install but the length on those prefabbed deals is never exactly where I want it so I cut it to where it's just right.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Universal Spark Plug Wires, how do you do it? [Re: RapidRobert] #106292
08/17/08 07:04 AM
08/17/08 07:04 AM
NEW JERSEY
AARCONV Offline
master
AARCONV  Offline
master

NEW JERSEY
the block tool needs a vice..i bought the plier type tool..works better..route the wire the way you want it to go then cut and install ends and boot..

Re: Universal Spark Plug Wires, how do you do it? [Re: Cudalord] #106293
08/17/08 09:40 AM
08/17/08 09:40 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I have done those specific wires, I do not remember if it's necessary to cut the black wire back any, just fold it over and see if it's the right length.

In my own experience, using the "multi angle" boots, it seemed to be easier to do the crimping then use the rigidity of the terminal to push the boot on. Rather than trying to push a rubbery wire through another piece of rubber. If my memory serves, the MSDs do not come with any lubricant but it definitely helps (the Taylors I bought, after cooking some MSD boots, came with lube).

This is all bringing up terrible memories of very sore thumbs for days after installing spark plug boots.

Re: Universal Spark Plug Wires, how do you do it? [Re: Cudalord] #106294
08/17/08 11:54 AM
08/17/08 11:54 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
I've done a bunch of them too (MSD and others) since all my cars needed them custom made as well..
What everyone said is right on..the plastic crimper will work in a vise, no prob if you don't have the hand held ones (or the metal crimp dies for a vise they used to come with, I have a few sets of both kinds)

The wires might be pre-stripped on the dizzy end, but once you cut them to your length, you'll have to redo them anyways..

Oh, and when you slide the boot on first off, use a lube like Taco said, I just use spray silicone

Re: Universal Spark Plug Wires, how do you do it? [Re: OzHemi] #106295
08/17/08 11:58 AM
08/17/08 11:58 AM
Bethel Ct
A
AdamR Offline
master
AdamR  Offline
master
A

Bethel Ct
Spend the cash on the MSD crimping tool. Summit Racing has it. Makes putting wires together easy.

Re: Universal Spark Plug Wires, how do you do it? [Re: AdamR] #106296
08/17/08 01:46 PM
08/17/08 01:46 PM
Hunt Valley, Maryland
1fastrunner Offline
top fuel
1fastrunner  Offline
top fuel

Hunt Valley, Maryland
You guys should save the hassle next time and get the fyreWires. They will make whatever lengths you need, you just have to give them the measurements. then you can have the best proper length wires ready to install.
Jim

Re: Universal Spark Plug Wires, how do you do it? [Re: 1fastrunner] #106297
08/17/08 02:44 PM
08/17/08 02:44 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
Write down the firing order, where the wires are in the cap, and where they are on the engine.
Remove all the old wires, noting which is the shortest and which is the longest. On a small block, shortest is usually #8, longest is usually #1.
Start with the shortest new wire, install all the wires on the plugs. Route them so they fit the looms, 5 and 7 are apart, and leave enough slack at the Dist. so you can remove the cap. Also leave enough on the plug end so that you can remove them easily. You do not want them tight end-to-end!
Cut each wire with ~.75 inch extra. Strip that 3/4 inch leaving the center conductor.
Spray silicone into the dist. boot(with your finger over the wire hole), and then dribble the extra spray from the boot onto the wire. Slip the boot onto the wire. If they are tough, slide a pair of needle-nose pliers inside to stretch them some. Apply lube again if you do this. Slide the boot a couple inches up the wire for working room.
This part is why you want to buy the crimping pliers. If you don't, you have to remove the wire and go over to the bench vise here.
Fold the conductor over the side, and place the terminal over it, holding it in place. Crimp the terminal tightly.
Install the terminal tightly into the cap. Make sure it locks. Now slide the boot down the wire onto the cap. Not fully, because it will pull the terminal out. You have to 'burp' it as it goes on, too. Repeat for the rest. Remember to leave enough slack so that the cap can be removed!
Double check for clearance around hot items, make sure they clear the throttle/kickdown, and steering or other moving parts.
Drive until hot, then recheck boots on the cap.

Re: Universal Spark Plug Wires, how do you do it? [Re: RodStRace] #106298
08/17/08 03:08 PM
08/17/08 03:08 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Online content
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Online Content
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
I use dish soap on the taylor wires I run. A little drop of soap on the wire after the boot is on makes it slide back really easy.

I tried the silicon spray and it didn't work for me nearly as good as the soap does.

Re: Universal Spark Plug Wires, how do you do it? [Re: Neil] #106299
08/17/08 05:54 PM
08/17/08 05:54 PM
Arlington, Texas
earlybee Offline
master
earlybee  Offline
master

Arlington, Texas
I just spit on the wire to slide the boot on first.